[Q] Acer Iconia B1 A71 Root

Search This thread

id4hack

Oct 10, 2011
i just buy Acer Iconia B1-A71 with 16gb internal today, and i feel this one drain more battery than my last 8gb. i check the build rv04rc04 in peb 2013 my last acer build rv03rc05 in jan 2013

can i use os from my 8gb for my 16gb?

Abhresh

May 13, 2013
Pune
Need help in connecting dongle or usb HDD

Hi,

I have Acer Iconia B1 and I red the specification from different sites and some have wrong info as it support dongles and I purchased it but now I cant do anything. I want to connect it to dongle so can anyone help me how can I do it?

I am ready to root this device but I need to connect it as this device was a gift for my mom and there is no wifi at her place...

Pls help me...

Thanks in advance

entonjackson

Dec 27, 2010
Hi,

I have Acer Iconia B1 and I red the specification from different sites and some have wrong info as it support dongles and I purchased it but now I cant do anything. I want to connect it to dongle so can anyone help me how can I do it?

I am ready to root this device but I need to connect it as this device was a gift for my mom and there is no wifi at her place...

Pls help me...

Thanks in advance

The only chance is tethering. No OTG supported.

Abhresh

May 13, 2013
Pune
Acer Iconia B1 - Need help in connecting dongle or usb HDD

The only chance is tethering. No OTG supported.

Not even possible after rooting the device?

I have been to check it with a local guy who do repairing work he said there is no option in the software to connect it with dongle.

I have checked with acer customer care they said there is an option to install connection related apps and then you can do it. But i could not get any relevant app for it.

I think one who has deep knowledge can modify the s/w and then may be we can connect it.

Thanks

alba81

Sep 28, 2005
Schweich
This device is not supporting USB Host and OTG - hadwarewise. You can make changes in the Software, but never the less it will not help you.

But if you want to try - good luck! :)

vocyber

Dec 10, 2011
Can we used swapper to increase the ram? Does the kernel support swap for increase ram value. Thanks

Sent from my B1-A71 using xda app-developers app

Noobius

May 23, 2013
I have RV04RC04 (2 times) and one tablet with 05, and an upgrade to 05 ( which gives the partition error ) but for some reason I find the RV04RC04 better ( mainly GPS ) as long as that stupid acer won't give changelogs I find it a bit tricky to change the 04 to 05 if the partition error is gone, logically a higher number means better, but is this the same now, with other words, if the partition error is fixed do I get better changing from 04 to 05 ??? scary this.. I do find a nice app that change it in a nexus in the market,until reboot, so some apps that say they don't work on my acer ( but do it when installing from sd card) kan now directly installed from the market... I am more and more happy with all my acers now :)

I updated to the newest RV05RC06 and am having a hard time w/ the GPS. However it wasn't really top notch before, but do you recommend reverting back to RV04RC04?

Does the GPS really work better in RV04RC04?

blitzedx

Nov 10, 2010
Pre-Rooted Image for RV02RC12

The update option system settings-->about this tablet --> software updates is not there. So there is no update option. I checked all settings options, but nothing about software updates. Also the system settings -> apps -> google framework services is not there, but I can erase all data at system settings --> backup & reset--> factory data reset.

I don't have a Linux or Mac osx. So I'm afraid I have to rely on you guys :)

My father also bought one of these tablets while in Beijing. He has image version Acer_AV051_B1-A71_RV02RC12_GC_GEN1 as well. This build kind of stinks cause there is no access to Google Play Store. I wanted to get it rooted however so I went ahead and manually created a rooted system image and successfully used it with the toolkit.

I have a copy of it but nowhere to host it, so if OP wants to contact me I can send it along.

I am tempted to try and flash the RV03RC05 update via Recovery then hopefully OTA update from there, but I don't want to brick this without a chance of recovering it.

shantusingh

Mar 15, 2009
New Delhi, IN
I havn't got the RV05RC06 update yet ?! :(

Another thing on the website that there's "Fix Invalid Partition Setting error during OTA update" what's that can someone tell me ?!

And I really wanna simple root it, if any update on that as well please let me know ...

Last edited:

entonjackson

Dec 27, 2010
Acer released a Fix for the Invalid Partition Error.
Everyone, unable to update their device should try the apk.

Download it here, install it. Run it, click on "FixG1PMT" and uninstall the app, after procedure is done.
Good luck!

paugustin

Dec 10, 2009
Paris
OnePlus 7
Hi,

Is the bootloader of the B1 still unlockable ?

A dev (zelea2) over at modaco was able to build a method to unlock the bootloader of the Acer cloudmobile (Dual Carrier version that was still unlockable). He's work is really clever and he thinks this might work with other Acer devices (as is or with minor tweaks).
In order to minimize the risk he built a test routine that you can safely run to see if your device would positively react to the unlocking process.

Here is the topic : http://www.modaco.com/topic/362993-possible-ways-to-unlock-8260a-1/

And here is the method :

Here is what I've done. I have mimicked a kernel image but only
my little ARM code is executed. I have included the sources so you can see I don't do anything sinister.
The bootloader loads the kernel in RAM at address 0x80208000 and passes execution at that address without
erasing itself from memory. I'm searching in the bootloader space the partition table copy, a printf function
and a write_aboot function which actually writes the copy to flash. Once I've found all these I simply let
the bootloader functions do the work and unlock the phone.

There are 2 images included: test-only which only searches for functions and if everything is found it
prints the addresses and some messages; the unlock-cloudmobile is the real thing.

I have already tried it on my phone and it seems to work but my phone is already unlocked.
So just run first 'fastboot boot test-only.img' - this image doesn't change anything in your
phone just prints its status. If all the messages are displayed then you can try the unlock code
with 'fastboot boot unlock-cloudmobile.img' You will have to take the battery out after this because
I haven't bothered to understand how to read buttons or restart the bootloader so I simply halt
the processor once I'm done.

If any dev on the B1 can advise wether this might work or not. I don't own a B1 so can't try myslef bu I thought this would be worth a shot.

If it works, all thanks goes to zelea2 :)

pawitp

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 30, 2010
Bangkok

Download it here, install it. Run it, click on "FixG1PMT" and uninstall the app, after procedure is done.
Good luck!

For future reference, it works by installing a new partition table.

Code:
dd if=pmtdump of=/dev/block/mmcblk0 obs=4096 seek=8

Hi,

Is the bootloader of the B1 still unlockable ?

A dev (zelea2) over at modaco was able to build a method to unlock the bootloader of the Acer cloudmobile (Dual Carrier version that was still unlockable). He's work is really clever and he thinks this might work with other Acer devices (as is or with minor tweaks).
In order to minimize the risk he built a test routine that you can safely run to see if your device would positively react to the unlocking process.

Here is the topic : http://www.modaco.com/topic/362993-possible-ways-to-unlock-8260a-1/

And here is the method :

If any dev on the B1 can advise wether this might work or not. I don't own a B1 so can't try myslef bu I thought this would be worth a shot.

If it works, all thanks goes to zelea2 :)

It won't work on B1, that device uses a snapdragon chip, this one uses a mediatek chip.

zhchao

Jan 13, 2010
After root Acer B1 and install CfisManager apk
It seems that doesn't work without a cfis.ko...
anyone knows where to find it?
Thank you!

shantusingh

Mar 15, 2009
New Delhi, IN

Good luck!

I did this, still nothing I don't even get like there's an update available on my tablet :(

I havn't got the RV05RC06 update yet or anything, just still on Acer_AV051_B1-A71_RV05RC05_WW_GEN1 :(

Is it just me or any new update might just not be out yet in India ?!

manepape

Jun 27, 2008
Help me

I had rooted my acer icobnia b1 A71 .Now I can't access recovery mode .It goes off after shoosing [SD image Update Mode] <<== .
Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Windows Guide to Root Iconia B1 A71

STOP STOP STOP
    entonJackson Has Made your lives easier and created a tool to do all of the work for you no need to follow this guide unless
    you just want to learn a little about adb (how to connect to and send commands to your iconia) if your not interestred then

grab this One Click installer for Root - Iconia B1-A71 By etonjackson

Check which version you have on Iconia by going to settings / about and download or update to version AV051.B1-A71.RV05RC05.WW.GEN1 first it must be
    AV051.B1-A71.RV05RC05.WW.GEN1 to use this tool and image

you will also need to grab the pre rooted image file by alba81 AV051.B1-A71.RV05RC05.WW.GEN1 system.img.gz

please do not forget to say THANKS to Etonjackson ' alba81 and pawitp without whom nothing would be possible

etonjackson also has a donation link if you feel his tool has helped you please click here

=========================================================================================
    =========================================================================================

This is possible thanks to the work done by pawitp and alba81 and others from the XDAdevelopers forums
    special thanks to acer dev guy 29 who's post prompted me to do this my way

i have just written it out into a idiots guide for windows
    and have un rooted my iconia so i could follow my guide by cut n pasting to make sure 100% it works
    i have re gained root so i know it is as perfect as i can make it. i have added a few notes when i ran into
    problems and how i resolved them .

Check which version you have in settings / about and download update to newest version first

download these files this a tools folder containing the adb and other files needed to root iconia
    mirror site for tools.rar
    extract it here c:\tools

USB drivers from acer

Install the USB drivers

if you have the AV051.B1-A71.RV04RC04.WW.GEN1 update to new version AV051.B1-A71.RV05RC05.WW.GEN1

then download the newest version AV051.B1-A71.RV05RC05.WW.GEN1 system.img.gz also made by alba81 and put it into the c:\tools folder

then follow the steps below

install this on the iconia before you start from the play store (its Free)

ExDialer

all the RED lines below that give commands can be cut and pasted into the dos box to make it easier and press enter after you enter them

the Blue lines are what you enter on the iconia when asked

connect iconia to pc with usb lead
    make sure in iconia settings developer options debug mode is ticked

goto the tools folder mines at c:\tools

run the cmd.exe (double click it to run) in tools this will open a black dos box , in there type

adb devices (press enter)

you should see a response like this

C:\tools>adb devices
    * daemon not running. starting
    * daemon started successfully
    List of devices attached
    0123456789ABCDEF device

ok we can now type this

adb push C:\tools\busybox /data/local/tmp (press enter)

type in adb shell (press enter)

you will see this in the black box

shell@android:/ $

type in chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/busybox (press enter)

run Exdialer app on iconia and enter this like a phone number when you enter the last * it will auto open Engineermode on iconia

*#*#3646633#*#*

when iconia opens engineermode screen goto menu items -> Connectivity -> CDS Information -> Network Utility, then type in
    the top line on the iconia
    /data/local/tmp/busybox telnetd -l /system/bin/sh -p 1234 (press the RUN button) you will also see the word SHELL next to it

go back to the pc black dos window and type

then type /data/local/tmp/busybox telnet 127.0.0.1 1234 (press enter)
    you should see this

Entering character mode
    Escape character is '^]'.

IF YOU SEE THIS
    C:\tools>adb shell
    shell@android:/ $ /data/local/tmp/busybox telnet 127.0.0.1 1234
    /data/local/tmp/busybox telnet 127.0.0.1 1234

Entering character mode

Connection closed by foreign host
    1|shell@android:/ $

then stop and reset your iconia with pin in reset hole next to power button
    when it restarts turn off developer mode and turn it back on then re tick the usb debugging
    then type in adb devices to ensure adb can see your device if it can then go back to the part
    where you run Exdialer app on iconia and re-enter that part and you should see

Entering character mode

system@android:/ $

type in chmod 777 /cache (press enter)

then type ^D thats CTRL + D ( press enter)

it will show this
    Connection closed by foreign host
    1|shell@android:/ $
    Then type exit (press enter)

you should now see C:\tools> in the black box

Then type adb push system.img.gz /cache (press enter)

now wait as its copying the file to the iconia this takes a while
    you see something like

C:\tools>adb push system.img.gz /cache
    4133 KB/s (357214476 bytes in 84.400s)

the time mine took was 84 secs may vary by machine ok

then type adb shell (press enter)

now type /data/local/tmp/busybox telnet 127.0.0.1 1234 (press enter)

you should see system@android:/ $

then copy and paste this line.

/data/local/tmp/busybox zcat /cache/system.img.gz | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0 bs=4096 seek=8424 count=156928 (press enter)

and again wait as its writing the information to the iconia this can take a while
    you should see something like this when its done

cache/system.img.gz | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0 bs=4096 seek=8424
    156928+0 records in
    156928+0 records out
    642777088 bytes transferred in 69.046 secs (9309403 bytes/sec)
    system@android:/ $

after its finished Reset your tablet with a pin in reset hole and restart it

Install Superuser app from Play Store by ChainsDD

after its installed run it once

i then installed
    Root Checker

run it to confirm root

i hope you have rooted device after all this.. possible known errors and there fixes

found by KrameX

if you have any problems with it bootlooping or stuck on iconia boot screen for 10mins then something went wrong
    go to acer drivers download section and download the rom in zip format:

Acer Recovery Image

this is a zip file, but inside are 2 files, a PDF file and another ZIP. this second zip must be copied to a microSD card, and insert it into the microsd slot in bottom of tablet.
    Enter in to recovery mode, pressing volume UP and power button. you will see 3 options, choose "update from SD" and press power button. now you are in recovery mode, press volume down or up to select "apply update from SD card" and press power button, now choose the ZIP file that you copied to SD and press power button. this will install the original and updates OS files.

In recovery mode optionally can do "Wipe factory defaults" and "format cache partition" if install alone doesn't work

OTA = over the air , to check goto iconia settings , about , system updates and click check

After that do a OTA update to version Acer_AV051_B1-A71_RV04RC04_WW_GEN1
    and then check for a 2nd OTA update to take you to version Acer_AV051_B1-A71_RV05RC05_WW_GEN1

found by acer dev guy 29
    Permission denied zcat: write: Broken pipe
    if you download alba81's image with chrome the download may get corupted use IE or Firefox

found by alba81
    some who use XP and Linux
    if you have a problem with busybox there is another that may solve the issue Busybox
    the one in the tools folder is 665kb this one is 1meg approx so replace the one in the tools folder with the new one .
    Okay, after getting my tablet repaired by Acer, I've successfully obtained root. The method, however, is very complicated and you should not try it unless you know what you are doing as you can risk permanently bricking your device if you typed a command incorrectly. Nevertheless, for informational purposes, I will outline it here.

THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS, MORE DANGEROUS THAN ANY OTHER DEVICES YOU HAVE EVER ROOTED. DO NOT FOLLOW THIS IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO YOUR TABLET.

- Push a copy of busybox to /data/local/tmp and make sure it's executable
    - From *#*#ENGMODE#*#* -> Connectivity -> CDS Information -> Network Utility, execute "/data/local/tmp/busybox telnetd -l /system/bin/sh -p 1234"
    - adb shell and then "/data/local/tmp/busybox telnet 127.0.0.1 1234", you now have a system shell
    - to get partition information, use "cat /proc/dumchar_info"
    - MAKE SURE IT HAS THIS EXACT LINE. IF NOT, RECALCULATE THE ADDRESS FOR ALL COMMANDS BELOW
    android 0x0000000026500000 0x00000000020e8000 2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
    - dump system partition to /cache with "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 bs=4096 skip=8424 count=156928 | gzip > /cache/system.img.gz"
    - "chmod 777 /cache" and "chmod 777 /cache/system.img.gz" to allow adb to download the image
    - "adb pull /cache/system.img.gz" to download the image to your computer, then gunzip it
    - "rm /cache/system.img.gz" to make room on the cache partition
    - Using a linux computer, loop mount the system.img to add /system/bin/su from the Superuser package (http://androidsu.com/superuser/) and suid it (06755)
    - Unmount system.img then gzip it back to system.img.gz
    - adb push system.img.gz back to /cache
    - Flash the system image back to the partition with "/data/local/tmp/busybox zcat /cache/system.img.gz | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0 bs=4096 seek=8424 count=156928" WARNING: any mistake in typing this line may cost you your tablet, use copy and paste.
    - Reboot your tablet
    - Install Superuser app from Play Store
    Good news!! friends.... who ever wants to increase the speaker volume of your Acer b1 tab .... here's what you need to do :

search on play store : dial pad, install n open it and dial *#*#3646633#*#*
    Then go to Audio>Loudspeaker Mode>scroll down and change Max Value to 136 then press Set. Its done. Feel the drastic change Right now!!

Note** - If you want to set according to you, if you fear it might hamper the speaker at 136, then first play a song(keep playing it) and then open dial pad, enter the code and change the value and click set to see the change and set accordingly to how much more loud you want !!!

I suggest do not set it to more than 136 or 140 .

Enjhoy n press thanks!!
    Ok, so this is how I rooted my Iconia B1 on Ubuntu Linux. This how-to is based on alba81s one. I only changed a few steps to make them work under Linux.

First download these few things:

1. Extract the android sdk to your home folder, e.g. /home/bob

2. Open a terminal.
    3. Inside the extracted android sdk folder there must be somewhere a folder called platform-tools. CD to that one, Bob has a Linux 64 Bit System so for him it would be:
    Code:
    cd /home/bob/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64-20130219/sdk/platform-tools

4. Now plug your Iconia B1 into your Linux machine and turn on Debugging Mode on it ( Go into Settings -> Developer Tools, turn on Developer tools, then turn on USB Debugging Mode )
    5. Now back at the keyboard of your Linux machine in your terminal type:
    Code:
    sudo ./adb devices
    The output should be something like:
    0123456789ABCDEF device
    If it's not, google for it. Somehow your Linux hasn't detected the Iconia B1, although the android sdk for Linux brings all needed drivers with it.
    If your device was found, gratulations, you're a happy man. the adb connection between your linux machine and your tablet is intact.

5. Now extract the downloaded busybox archive to your home folder, in it there should be a busybox binary. So Bob does:
    Code:
    sudo ./adb push /home/bob/busybox /data/local/tmp
    Code:
    sudo ./adb shell
    Code:
    chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/busybox

9. Bob copied the busybox binary into a directory where he can access it as a plain non-root user on the tablet. We need this binary. so we can apply unix tools like telnet, dd, cat, etc. But for now we need it to establish a telnet session between our tablet and our linux machine. That's why we now start a telnet server on our tablet. Because this step is so easy, we skip it.... just kidding.
    Grab your tablet and go to play store, install and launch the app "ex Dialer & Contacts".
    10. Dial *#*#3646633#*#* or easier, *#*#ENGMODE#*#*
    11. Go to Connectivity -> CDS Information -> Network Utility
    12. type the following command:
    Code:
    /data/local/tmp/busybox telnetd -l /system/bin/sh -p 1234
    My advice to you: copy and paste it from the browser on your tablet, because dependent on which keyboard app installed, this can be freakin tricky. In the next step you will learn, why it's so important why this command should be correct.
    13. Tap on Run. You won't get a feedback, so you will never no if the entered command runs properly or not. That's why you should make sure the command is ok.
    Now we started our telnet server on the tablet.
    14. Back in the terminal type:
    Code:
    If you now get an error like couldn't find busybox or something, then either adb push in step 6 failed or you forgot step 8
    15. Now enter:
    Code:
    cat /proc/dumchar_info
    You should get a bunch of lines, try to find a line containing
    android 0x0000000026500000 0x00000000020e8000 2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
    the bold word android is important. you should see it.
    16. Now we create a dump of our system by entering:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 bs=4096 skip=8424 count=156928 | gzip > /cache/system.img.gz
    copy and paste...
    this cryptic command will take about 5 minutes until it's finished.
    17. After it's finished we must make the image readable for adb, so we do:
    Code:
    chmod 777 /cache
    and
    Code:
    chmod 777 /cache/system.img.gz
    18. Now leave the telnet session by
    Code:
    exit
    19. Now leave the adb shell by
    Code:
    exit
    20. Now we pull our image by
    Code:
    sudo ./adb pull /cache/system.img.gz
    wait 1-2 minutes.
    It should be then located in /home/bob/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64-20130219/sdk/platform-tools. It should be a .gz, so untar it and locate the system.img, which we move to /home/bob to make it less complicated.

21. Now we need to modify our system image by adding the tiny but helpful su binary. So first extract the SU binary, that you downloaded at the beginning to your home folder. Bob can find the binary now in /home/bob/su-bin-3.1.1-arm-signed/system/bin. to make it less complicated we move the binary to /home/bob.
    22. We create a folder where we will mount our system image to. To create it do:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/iconia
    23. Now we mount it:
    Code:
    sudo mount -o loop /home/bob/system.img /media/iconia
    24. Now we copy our SU binary to our mounted system image:
    Code:
    sudo cp /home/bob/su /media/iconia/bin
    25. the su binary needs to have the proper rights to make it usable, so we 'suid' it with:
    Code:
    sudo chmod 06755 /media/iconia/bin/su
    26. Let's unmount our baby by:
    Code:
    sudo umount /media/iconia
    and because bob doesn't like a messed up system, he does:
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /media/iconia
    because he hopefully won't need it anymore.
    27. We have to gzip it again to bring it back to where it belongs to. this we do by:
    Code:
    cd /home/bob
    Code:
    gzip /home/bob/system.img

28. So here we are now, we made it to the final Boss fight! The next steps are dangerous and should be performed with caution. We copy back our modified system image, which can brick your device, if you do a mistake!
    First cd back to the platform tools folder, Bob does:
    Code:
    cd /home/bob/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64-20130219/sdk/platform-tools
    29. then enter adb shell again:
    Code:
    sudo ./adb shell
    30. Remove the old boring image:
    Code:
    rm /cache/system.img.gz
    31. Leave adb shell
    Code:
    exit
    32. copy our cool new system image containing the su binary:
    Code:
    sudo ./adb push /home/bob/system.img.gz /cache
    33. Usually the telnet server on the tablet is still running, at least in my case it's been like that. That's why we can directly enter adb shell again:
    Code:
    sudo ./adb shell
    34. Connect to the telnet server with:
    Code:
    If this doesn't work, then obviously your telnet server isn't running anymore. So on your tablet where the cryptic command is still entered (see step 12), tap on Run again and repeat step 34.
    35. Now this is the most dangerous step in this how to ( no it wasn't the mkdir one ). Copy this command to make sure everything is fine and paste it into your telnet session on your linux terminal:
    Code:
    [B]/data/local/tmp/busybox zcat /cache/system.img.gz | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0 bs=4096 seek=8424 count=156928[/B]
    After 1-2 minutes you're done, if your tablet or pc or yourself didn't catch fire everythings fine.
    36. Leave telnet / adb shell / terminal by doing
    Code:
    exit
    Code:
    exit
    Code:
    exit
    37. Unplug your tablet from pc
    38. Reboot the Iconia Tablet.
    39. Install Superuser ( No, not SuperSU, cause it won't work! )
    40. Be lucky. Your tablet and thus you are now free.
    I opened mine to take a look inside (because I wanted to massage dead pixel)

It's easy to open...just put in a flat plastic or screwdriver on the side and open it to the usb connection - i do not recommend to open it on the top because the part where the audiojack is cracking easy...

cbsqtvcjoihm5xxzp.jpg

cbsqu60udctrkpob9.jpg

I was first very disappointed about the fact that there is no vibration but I think the round thingy above the QR-Code is a vibration module. it's connected to "JP19"

The antennas (GPS+WiFi) are very cheap charlie...

cbsquf6hqmoyrxzyt.jpg

3.7V 2710mAh Battery - Think you can find a easy replacement for that...

cbsr9u6dde62q69g5.jpg

maybe free usb slot? idk
    nice prework from acer here

Can you upload the images somewhere else? I can't load them.

And just to put the info out there:

To enter recovery, hold "power " and "volume up" while the tablet is off. A boot menu will appear allowing you to choose between recovery and fastboot. In recovery, there is a "backup and restore user data" function, which we might be able to exploit somehow, but the backup format is proprietary.

EDIT: The "kernel" source posted by acer doesn't look like it contains everything needed to build a working kernel. At the very least, it's missing a default configuration. There are also other folders outside of the kernel source and it seems... fragmented. The archive does contain the default ramdisk though and it does allow us to look at a few things. One is that the init no longer loads "/data/local.prop", so even if we figure out the backup format for the recovery, we might not be able to exploit it for rooting.