CyanogenMod 7 for Captivate Q&A

Search This thread

RootTheMachine

Oct 4, 2011
IM a bit confused about the bootloader thing. If I have froyo on my captivate I have to also flash some kind of froyo bootloader?

Sent from my LG-P925 using XDA

No, there is no bootloader flash required. CM7 can work with any bootloader.

Just use the odin 1 click back to JF6.

Why would you do an unnecessary flash that has a risk of bricking?

if i just updated to 2.3.5 with kies is this method going to work for me? or should i go some other route?

No, that is out of date. Follow the official update guide: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Samsung_Captivate:_Full_Update_Guide

obtained

Feb 29, 2012
Tulsa
when i'm reading a thread about installing a gingerbread mod, i get thrown off when they say "make sure gingerbread bootloaders are installed". if i'm running gingerbread, wouldnt gingerbread bootloaders already be installed? common sense? or is it something i have to do before flashing a mod? idk? i'm new to the captivate, first mod i've ever done is on my thrill, like a month ago. and we didnt have an official gb release until today. i'm just a noob getting everything clear before i try flashing a rom.

sooo... all i have done so far is:
installed official 2.3.5 using kies.
rooted and cwm with some kind of corn kernel?
so now i just delete cache, etc.. then install .zip and reboot?
no bootloader magic trick?

RootTheMachine

Oct 4, 2011
when i'm reading a thread about installing a gingerbread mod, i get thrown off when they say "make sure gingerbread bootloaders are installed". if i'm running gingerbread, wouldnt gingerbread bootloaders already be installed? common sense? or is it something i have to do before flashing a mod? idk? i'm new to the captivate, first mod i've ever done is on my thrill, like a month ago. and we didnt have an official gb release until today. i'm just a noob getting everything clear before i try flashing a rom.

sooo... all i have done so far is:
installed official 2.3.5 using kies.
rooted and cwm with some kind of corn kernel?
so now i just delete cache, etc.. then install .zip and reboot?
no bootloader magic trick?

What do you mean by a mod? That could refer to anything. And yes, you already have GB bootloaders if you are running GB.

Reactions: obtained

kalda01

Aug 17, 2011
Yavne
I'm running with 7.1.0 for a couple weeks now and have flashed Glitch V13 kernel on top of it.
I was hoping to improve battery life which I think it did, but the phone now freeze on me once or twice every day and I need to pull the battery out.
Not sure it is the Kernel but I thought I'd restore the original kernel to see if the phone would stop to freeze.
How do I get back on the original Kernel without loosing any data or apps ?

bird333

Jul 19, 2010
My device is not being detected by DroidExplorer/ADB. How can I fix that? Yes, USB Debug is set. This is the first time I have tried to use ADB since I installed CM7. It worked fine before this upgrade.

kalda01

Aug 17, 2011
Yavne
I'm running with 7.1.0 for a couple weeks now and have flashed Glitch V13 kernel on top of it.
I was hoping to improve battery life which I think it did, but the phone now freeze on me once or twice every day and I need to pull the battery out.
Not sure it is the Kernel but I thought I'd restore the original kernel to see if the phone would stop to freeze.
How do I get back on the original Kernel without loosing any data or apps ?

Is there any Kernel setting that I can change to avoid the daily freeze ?
What other Kernels are available for CM7 on captivate ?

scythekain

Mar 16, 2012
Bellevue

I don't think it's glitch... When I was running 7.1 it would regularly freeze and auto-reboot with the stock CM7 kernel.

I'm running the Glitch V14B5 for ICS roms, and it's not affected the overall phone stability at all. The biggest difference is the ROM itself.

mnjm9b

Apr 26, 2008

I don't think it's glitch... When I was running 7.1 it would regularly freeze and auto-reboot with the stock CM7 kernel.

I'm running the Glitch V14B5 for ICS roms, and it's not affected the overall phone stability at all. The biggest difference is the ROM itself.

i have never had a freeze EVER on stock... and with the low level of people complaining about this I would assume that most people don't have your problem.

kalda01

Aug 17, 2011
Yavne

Is there any ROM setting that might affect the stability of the phone? In another words, what can be changed to stop the phone from freezing with CM7 ?

ddk99

Apr 2, 2012
Not sure if the right place to ask

So I've been using CM7.1 for about two weeks now, and it's been a breeze so far.

But today it randomly auto-rebooted, and was stuck stuck on the CM7 splash screen.

Then I proceeded to enter recovery mode and made a backup with NANDroid, restored to factory settings, and attempted to recover using my previous (and only) backup file.

Needless to say, the problem persists.

I wouldn't mind flashing CM7 again, but I'd like to know if there's a way to access the phone files to recover my pictures, (locally stored) contacts and SMS.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Did a factory rest and rebooted phone. I can now access my pictures but contacts and SMS messages are gone. Still, I have the backup file from this morning. Is there a way to recover my contacts/SMS?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

RootTheMachine

Oct 4, 2011
So I've been using CM7.1 for about two weeks now, and it's been a breeze so far.

But today it randomly auto-rebooted, and was stuck stuck on the CM7 splash screen.

Then I proceeded to enter recovery mode and made a backup with NANDroid, restored to factory settings, and attempted to recover using my previous (and only) backup file.

Needless to say, the problem persists.

I wouldn't mind flashing CM7 again, but I'd like to know if there's a way to access the phone files to recover my pictures, (locally stored) contacts and SMS.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Did a factory rest and rebooted phone. I can now access my pictures but contacts and SMS messages are gone. Still, I have the backup file from this morning. Is there a way to recover my contacts/SMS?

Thanks again!

Firstly I would recommend updating to 7.2 so you get the latest updates and bugfixes. But to get that stuff back, you will need to restore that backup and use utilities to save those things. For SMS, use SMS Backup & Restore. For contacts, just sync with Google, copy to Sim card, or find an app for that. Once they are all backed up, restore them onto your stable configuration

Sent from my CM9 ICS i897 Captivate

Reactions: ddk99

ddk99

Apr 2, 2012
Firstly I would recommend updating to 7.2 so you get the latest updates and bugfixes. But to get that stuff back, you will need to restore that backup and use utilities to save those things. For SMS, use SMS Backup & Restore. For contacts, just sync with Google, copy to Sim card, or find an app for that. Once they are all backed up, restore them onto your stable configuration

I got my stuff back thanks to this thread
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1370349

Since, I couldn't boot using my backup. However, I'll be sure to update to 7.2, and sync my contacts with google in case of a future error on my end.

Thanks!

kalda01

Aug 17, 2011
Yavne
I have also upgraded from 7.1 to 7.2 without a full wipe and have all my apps in place as before the upgrade.
The one problem that bothers me most and wasn't resolved by the upgrade is cellular call quality and poor GPS performance.
I'm getting many hangups during phone calls and GPS sometimes takes a few minitus to get sattelite fix.
The modem I'm using is JL2.
My cell provider uses 1800 band for GSM and 2100 for 3G.
Can someone recommend alternative modem that might work better for me ?

RootTheMachine

Oct 4, 2011
I have also upgraded from 7.1 to 7.2 without a full wipe and have all my apps in place as before the upgrade.
The one problem that bothers me most and wasn't resolved by the upgrade is cellular call quality and poor GPS performance.
I'm getting many hangups during phone calls and GPS sometimes takes a few minitus to get sattelite fix.
The modem I'm using is JL2.
My cell provider uses 1800 band for GSM and 2100 for 3G.
Can someone recommend alternative modem that might work better for me ?

The poor GPS is just something we have to deal with on this phone, but you can try Hellstorm's GPS fix. Modems typically depend on where you live, but JK4 has a great reputation in general

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi

I am very happy with the performance with this ROM. But there are things I miss in certain apps.

I really liked the stock Calendar, Contacts, Clock/Alarm and the Calculator.

I did a search but was unable to find . How can I get just those specific apps back?

Thanks,

EDIT:
    Add Camera app to this list as well. This one does not seem to have Panorama mode...

Unfortunately those same Samsung apps wont work with this ROM, but that's kind of the idea behind CM7- take out all the "fancy" features and give the user bare bone apps that work well. And what you get in the end is an ultra fast ROM, super snappy navigation, and a clean look. I miss some of those features too but the benefits of CM7 far outweigh that of Samsung ROMs. ..for me anyway :p

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium
    CyanogenMod 7 (w/ Gingerbread 2.3.4) for Galaxy S

The only rule of CyanogenMod: you don't ask for ETAs. You install, your warranty is void.

Warning : Not for new users, flash this build only if you know what you are doing !!!

INSTRUCTIONS:

INSTRUCTIONS:

Latest version: http://mirror.teamdouche.net/?device=captivatemtd

Check the md5sum if you want to be sure that the download worked (different OSes have different programs that do md5, on ubuntu it is md5sum that you run against the zip you download and compare to the md5sum number shown on the download website). ROMManager does this automatically for ROMs you download via ROMManager.

- First time flashing CM 7 to your Captivate (or coming from another ROM)?

Easy way:
    1. Start with a rooted Eclair/Froyo running Eclair/Froyo Bootloaders (do not ask us how to do this).
    2. Install ROMManager Premium.
    3. Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Pick Captivate (MTD) (ignore the warning about not having an official, pick ClockworkMod 2.x).
    4. Make sure you can reboot into ClockworkMod recovery from ROMManager. Reboot and get back into ROMManager Premium.
    5. Choose download ROMs.
    6. Pick the CyanogenMod Nightlies.
    7. Check the Google Apps addon.
    8. Check Backup current ROM!
    9. Check wipe data, cache, dalvik cache.
    10. Let ROMManager finish the installation.

Harder way:

1. Make sure you're running a Eclair/Froyo Firmware (2.1 or 2.2) and Eclair/Froyo Bootloaders!
    2. Root your device and install ClockworkMod Recovery.
    3. Do a Nandroid backup!
    4. WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition)
    5. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
    6. Optionally install the Google Addon (through ROMManager is easiest)

- Upgrading from earlier CM7?

ROM Manager method:
    1. Install ROMManager Premium.
    2. Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Pick Captivate (MTD) (ignore the warning about not having an official, pick ClockworkMod 3.x).
    3. Choose Download ROMs.
    4. Pick the CyanogenMod Nightlies.
    5. Check the Google Apps addon.
    6. Check Backup current ROM!
    7. Check wipe cache, dalvik cache.
    8. Let ROMManager finish the installation.

Clockwork Mod method:

1. Download and push the ROM zip file to the sdcard.
    2. Reboot into recovery.
    3. Do a Nandroid Backup!
    4. Install the ROM zip from sdcard (your Google apps will be backed up automatically)

There are no Google Apps bundled with CM ROMs, because Google asked Cyanogen to remove copyrighted apps. After flashing the rom, don't forget to flash Google Addon package if you want it. ROM Manager will allow you to flash it if you just go into it and after flashing the ClockworkMod recovery for MTD devices, choose Download ROMs, and pick Google Apps.

FAQ (Please Read!!)

Q: I don't have working three button recovery, is there anything I can do?
    A: There is a CWM flashable zip that should be able to fix this at 3 Button Fix. That program is not part of CyanogenMod and we do not support it.

Q: Can I flash over a previous version of CM7?
    A: If updating from an already CM7 running SGS phone, just flash the latest update zip file as it contains all the fixes from previous updates.

Q: I just installed and I don't see the Marketplace, cannot see GMail, cannot sync Contacts.
    Q: I just installed and I don't see any Google Apps.
    A: You need to install the Google apps. They are available in ROMManager. ROMManager also asks you if you want to install the Google Apps addon when you install via ROMManager.

Q: I restored from Titanium Backup but my applications are not working
    A: Do not restore system data, only restore application+user data. CM7 uses new system data and if you restore on top of it, things will not work.

Q: My battery life is simply awful, any tips?
    A: Wi-Fi, bluetooth, and GPS are major battery killers. Wi-Fi and bluetooth are particularly hungry, so turn them off when you don't need them.

Q: The phone booted but I'm not getting any signal, what gives?
    Q: My phone takes a few minutes to establish a 3g signal after I turn it on, what gives?
    A: Known issue with polling when staring up the network. Put the phone to sleep by pressing the power button and waking it up a few times and it will usually come up with a signal.

Q: I lost my SMSC information, how to I get it back?
    A: Follow these steps to restore.

Q: When will Voodoo sound/color/sharpness be integrated?
    A: Maybe some parts will be integrated someday, but there some UNSUPPORTED kernels available on the threads that do this already. Please direct any issues related to these to the appropriate developers, not us.

Q: Your notification toggles are different than mine, how can I change them?
    A: Go into Settings, CyanogenMod Settings, Interface, Notification power widget, Widget buttons

Q: I really miss the accurate battery mods, can I flash these?
    A: No, but you can go into Settings, CyanogenMod Settings, Interface, Status bar tweaks, "Battery percentage"

Q: Where can I get themes for this?
    A: A quick search for "theme engine" on the market will produce a number of results, but there are some in the general Android Themes section

Q: Can I use the video player/music player/contacts/phone/launcher from a Samsung ROM?
    A: No, anything hooking into Samsung's framework will not work on this ROM, there are plenty of alternatives in the market.

Q: Where can I get the Nexus S drivers?
    A: Download and install the Android SDK here then download "Google USB Driver package, revision 4"
    Once downloaded, right click on "Computer", "Manage", "Device Manager", "Nexus S", "Update Driver Software", and point it to wherever you isntalled the SDK

Q: How do I go back to a Samsung stock ROM?
    A: The easiest way is to go back to stock using Odin and flashing a full firmware (including PIT file) with repartition checked (Odin One-Click does this by default on Captivate)

Q: Can I use ROM Manager to install or back up this ROM?
    A: Yes.

Q: Why do I not see the nightlies in ROM Manager?
    A: Nightly builds are only visible in the premium version of ROM Manager. Koush, the developer of ROM Manager is a key reason behind Galaxy S phones having CM7. You can buy it to show your support.

Q: The phone turns on whenever I plug it in, is there any way to prevent this?
    A: This is also related to the kernel and for now is an annoying side effect we have to put up with.

Q: Why can't I play .avi or .mkv files? They worked fine with Samsung's ROM.
    A: Due to codec licensing issues, this can't be provided out of the box. Several apps from the marketplace should be able to replicate this feature (such as RockPlayer)

Q: How do I flash a different modem? The one included doesn't work well with my phone.
    A: Other modems are available here
    Please do not attempt to flash ones from other threads as they use a different method of installing not compatible with our ROM.

Q: Can I use another kernel like Speedmod with this?
    A: Yes, but you have to make sure it is compatible. We do not support any kernels except the one we install.

Q: GTalk doesn't work with FFC?
    A: We can either have a fully fixed camera without gtalk video chat support (samsung libcamera)
    or we can have a buggy camera with gtalk video chat support (opensource libcamera). We went with the fully working camera without GTalk FFC support. Once we have updated libs from Samsung for camera, it'll work.

Q: I encountered a bug, how do I find out if it's known and where can I report it?
    A: You can look through the issue tracker here. If you do not see your issue, please report it. If someone else has it, please star it (but please do not file "Me too!" reports). Try to also attach the logcat output and last_kmsg to the bug report by:
    Code:
    desktop$ adb logcat > logcat.txt
    desktop$ adb shell
    # cat /proc/last_kmsg > /sdcard/last_kmsg (only if you had crash/reboot)
    # dmesg > /sdcard/dmesg.txt
    # exit
    desktop$ adb pull /sdcard/last_kmsg .
    desktop$ adb pull /sdcard/dmesg.txt .

Attach the logcat.txt and last_kmsg files to the bug report. Of course, you need to have the android SDK installed to do this.
    @Kaik541

"flipfonts from the market (and other sources) will not work this ROM as it is not a Samsung ROM. if you want to change your font, use "Font Changer" from the marketplace and supply a ttf font file you want (may free ones available on www.dafont.com)"

i just installed font changer, it gave me many warnings, those possible problems, are they are present in CM7?

there's always the risk of breaking something when replacing fonts, just do a nandroid before and restore if it fails.

Same here. Can't change anything.

try clearing cache in recovery or launcher defaults... and if you're using ADW, make sure you haven't "locked" the screen
    Uploaded new 20110506 update. Notice that initial install is different and much easier now as well. Changelog in first post on the development thread.
    Noticed something interesting.

I just downloaded todays (the March 9th) update onto my PC and then bluetoothed it to my Captivate.

The Captivate is not uploaded yet. We are testing it to make sure it behaves the same as on Galaxy S. I will update the thread header when there is a new build with a date for the "current best build date"