4.4.2 and proximity sensor problem

Search This thread

jellyhead

Sep 3, 2010
Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 8
I just updated to SR Remix KitKat and I noticed that my proximity sensor isn't working now. I can't say for sure that it was the update which caused the problem because a week before this I had the screen glass replaced. Now I know this can be a problem when the screen glass is replaced but I wanted to verify that it wasn't caused by the update before I take the phone apart and try to fix it. I'm posting here to see if anyone else has had this problem with this update or ROM. I tried the hidden menu *#0*# and it wasn't functioning. I also checked with CPU-Z and there was no activity at all from the sensor.

devious_z

Jul 9, 2014
I just updated to SR Remix KitKat and I noticed that my proximity sensor isn't working now. I can't say for sure that it was the update which caused the problem because a week before this I had the screen glass replaced. Now I know this can be a problem when the screen glass is replaced but I wanted to verify that it wasn't caused by the update before I take the phone apart and try to fix it. I'm posting here to see if anyone else has had this problem with this update or ROM. I tried the hidden menu *#0*# and it wasn't functioning. I also checked with CPU-Z and there was no activity at all from the sensor.

I also updated my I605 to SR Remix KitKat last night, and can confirm that my prox sensor is working fine (just made a few calls to be sure :D).

Looks like you may need to do some tinkering with that glass panel..

jellyhead

Sep 3, 2010
Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 8
Well I found that it was in fact a shoddy glass replacement. Too bad I already gave the eBay guy positive feedback.

What I found when I removed the proximity sensor was that the back side if the glass windows for the front facing camera, proximity sensor and ambient sensor all had glue residue covering them. It took a little bit of rubbing with a Q-tip and Goof-Off to get it clean enough to work. I'm sure glad I paid someone to do the job right so that wouldn't happen *sarcasm* I'll just do the job myself next time.

devious_z

Jul 9, 2014
Well I found that it was in fact a shoddy glass replacement. Too bad I already gave the eBay guy positive feedback.

What I found when I removed the proximity sensor was that the back side if the glass windows for the front facing camera, proximity sensor and ambient sensor all had glue residue covering them. It took a little bit of rubbing with a Q-tip and Goof-Off to get it clean enough to work. I'm sure glad I paid someone to do the job right so that wouldn't happen *sarcasm* I'll just do the job myself next time.

Hehe :D

Glad you got it working.