[ROM][4.4.4][SABERMOD/LINARO]UNOFFICIAL OmniROM SEP-25

Search This thread

obsolete1

Jan 7, 2013

UNOFFICIAL OmniROM for KindleFire2
omnirom_logo-big_layout_transparent-250px-150x150.png

About OmniROM
OmniROM said:
The goal of Omni is to experiment with Android development because we enjoy it. Omni isn’t better, just different. It’s another option for the billion Android users out there. Android (vs. iOS and every other mobile OS) has thrived on options as well as the gigantic, talented development community that has emerged to build those options. That’s the beauty of Android – that you can pick and choose from a smorgasbord of devices with varying features and functionality.

Omni is a chance to get involved, no matter who you are. Developers, whether you’ve been developing apps for a week, or ROM features for 3 years, you’re welcome. Users, we know you want to help out, and now you can – Omni actively encourages bug reports and feature requests, which can be added to our publicly accessible roadmap. What’s the point in giving you a ROM, and forcing you to not tell us about any bugs you find?

We also recognise how people use Custom ROMs – we’re all custom ROM users and developers ourselves – the argument that “nightlies are not for end users” is over-used, and no longer valid. We’ve found that the vast majority of users want to get nightly updates to their ROM. For that reason, nightlies aren’t a playground – nightlies are for new features that are finished. You should be able to expect the same stability and reliability from a nightly as you would from a “release” ROM, and can report any bugs that prevent this from happening.

We know not everyone wants to update their ROM daily, and you are free to update as frequently or infrequently as you like. Omni is about flexibility and giving users what they expect – and we are excited to see where the community goes with it.
OmniROM

**DISCLAIMER**
Code:
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices.
 * Please do some research if you have any 
 * concerns about features included in this ROM
 * BEFORE FLASHING IT!
 * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
I am in no way part of OmniROM thus take no credit for their source code.
I have just compiled from their source for the KindleFire2

Screenshots

Installation
You must have second bootloader & TWRP 2.6.3.1 or this ain't gonna work

• Download latest Here
  • Download Gapps XDA thread for PA-Gapps
  • If coming from different ROM must be clean install. If coming from previous Omni dirty flashing is okay
    (Dirty flashing is the act of only wiping Cache and Dalvik Cache then installing ROM)
  • Wipe data/cache
  • Flash ROM
  • Flash Gapps
  • Wipe cache/dalvik cache
  • Reboot **First boot will take some time

Known Issues

• You may need to format data for ROM to boot. **This is very rare anymore but still may be a problem**
  • **By formatting you will delete TWRP backups. So backup your media because you will loose it.
  • No screenshots as of yet "couldn't capture screenshot. storage may be in use." error. No longer an issue
  • You will loose Root go here (chainfire's SuperSU) for flashable zip.

Downloads

Credits

OmniROM - For their source
CyanogenMod Team
[URL="http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=4243514]Hashcode[/URL] - Without him this ROM wouldn't be possible
~If I forgot you please let me know!

Last edited:

powerpoint45

Jan 31, 2012
Dallas
Tried this last night. I think something is wrong with root. Eben after dl'ing superuser app it did not come up with root popup

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2 using Tapatalk 2

obsolete1

Jan 7, 2013
Tried this last night. I think something is wrong with root. Eben after dl'ing superuser app it did not come up with root popup

Yeah I noticed that too...tried replacing in the build with no success...ended up flashing SuperSU after flashing ROM to get root back, very strange. May pull build until I can get sorted out.

*EDIT*
Seems to be common amongst Omni 4.4 builds seems you need to flash SuperSU after install. I am not a big fan of doing this, the ROM should have this built in.

Last edited:
Reactions: mindmajick

obsolete1

Jan 7, 2013
Yes! Slim is awesome. Omni doesn't have much in the way of features yet but slim.. OMG. So slick.

--》Sent from my mind to your screen

Yeah I thought Omni was just too vanilla for me but seemed to be popular amongst tablets...I'm just not to overly impressed. Another couple of minutes and the sources will be synced and assuming all goes well in about 2 hours of build time I'll have a working build (I build on a whopping 2 core AMD :silly: ) So about 6 pm EST should be ready for me to run a few things and maybe have it available tonight.

**EDIT:

The build is on...

Last edited:

iamterence

Feb 10, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
Yeah I thought Omni was just too vanilla for me but seemed to be popular amongst tablets...I'm just not to overly impressed. Another couple of minutes and the sources will be synced and assuming all goes well in about 2 hours of build time I'll have a working build (I build on a whopping 2 core AMD :silly: ) So about 6 pm EST should be ready for me to run a few things and maybe have it available tonight.

**EDIT:

The build is on...

Woot woot! Hell yeah brother, can't wait! :D

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

obsolete1

Jan 7, 2013
Thank you for the offer but hopefully I may have found out my problem and an interesting tid-bit of info...

KitKat was almost a no go for omap4 devices. There is a workaround from Google that Slim does not use in their frameworks but they offer a solution, so that's in and running now...we will see.

**EDIT:

...It's alive!!! running a few more tests but everything seems to working and I'll make a new thread...Consider Omni for KindleFire2 dead :(

Last edited:
Reactions: mindmajick

powerpoint45

Jan 31, 2012
Dallas
Thank you for the offer but hopefully I may have found out my problem and an interesting tid-bit of info...

KitKat was almost a no go for omap4 devices. There is a workaround from Google that Slim does not use in their frameworks but they offer a solution, so that's in and running now...we will see.

**EDIT:

...It's alive!!! running a few more tests but everything seems to working and I'll make a new thread...Consider Omni for KindleFire2 dead :(

So you have no other plans for omnirom on KF2? If so does carbon ROM support multi window?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2 using Tapatalk

obsolete1

Jan 7, 2013
So you have no other plans for omnirom on KF2? If so does carbon ROM support multi window?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2 using Tapatalk

Carbon does not support multi-window that I know of (but I have been out of the mix as of late).

Omni for the KF2 is dead as far as I know (I don't think anyone picked it up)

obsolete1

Jan 7, 2013
Project back after very long delay.

Latest from the OmniRom group will try and keep this fairly regular (2 builds a week). First build (acctually second) up is plain Omni with Linaro 4.8 toolchains.

Next build will be hopefully -03 optimized

[B]About GCC main compiler cflags[/B] said:
-O1 Optimize. Optimizing compilation takes somewhat more time, and a lot more memory for a large function. With -O, the compiler tries to reduce code size and execution time, without performing any optimizations that take a great deal of compilation time
-O2
Optimize even more. GCC performs nearly all supported optimizations that do not involve a space-speed tradeoff. As compared to -O, this option increases both compilation time and the performance of the generated code. -O2 turns on all optimization flags specified by -O
-O3
Optimize yet more. -O3 turns on all optimizations specified by -O2 and also turns on the -finline-functions, -funswitch-loops, -fpredictive-commoning, -fgcse-after-reload, -ftree-loop-vectorize, -ftree-slp-vectorize, -fvect-cost-model, -ftree-partial-pre and -fipa-cp-clone options
-Os
Optimize for size. -Os enables all -O2 optimizations that do not typically increase code size. It also performs further optimizations designed to reduce code size

obsolete1

Jan 7, 2013
Most recent build is up (from the 25th) No go on the -O3 optimizations. Kernel is built with Linaro 4.8 toolchains by Christopher83 (here). ROMs GCC toolchains are SaberMod 4.8 as well. These make the ROM pretty smooth and it benchmarks very well.

Reactions: execute_method

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

UNOFFICIAL OmniROM for KindleFire2
    omnirom_logo-big_layout_transparent-250px-150x150.png

About OmniROM
    OmniROM said:
    The goal of Omni is to experiment with Android development because we enjoy it. Omni isn’t better, just different. It’s another option for the billion Android users out there. Android (vs. iOS and every other mobile OS) has thrived on options as well as the gigantic, talented development community that has emerged to build those options. That’s the beauty of Android – that you can pick and choose from a smorgasbord of devices with varying features and functionality.

Omni is a chance to get involved, no matter who you are. Developers, whether you’ve been developing apps for a week, or ROM features for 3 years, you’re welcome. Users, we know you want to help out, and now you can – Omni actively encourages bug reports and feature requests, which can be added to our publicly accessible roadmap. What’s the point in giving you a ROM, and forcing you to not tell us about any bugs you find?

We also recognise how people use Custom ROMs – we’re all custom ROM users and developers ourselves – the argument that “nightlies are not for end users” is over-used, and no longer valid. We’ve found that the vast majority of users want to get nightly updates to their ROM. For that reason, nightlies aren’t a playground – nightlies are for new features that are finished. You should be able to expect the same stability and reliability from a nightly as you would from a “release” ROM, and can report any bugs that prevent this from happening.

We know not everyone wants to update their ROM daily, and you are free to update as frequently or infrequently as you like. Omni is about flexibility and giving users what they expect – and we are excited to see where the community goes with it.
    OmniROM

**DISCLAIMER**
    Code:
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices.
     * Please do some research if you have any 
     * concerns about features included in this ROM
     * BEFORE FLASHING IT!
     * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
    I am in no way part of OmniROM thus take no credit for their source code.
    I have just compiled from their source for the KindleFire2

Screenshots

Installation
    You must have second bootloader & TWRP 2.6.3.1 or this ain't gonna work

• Download latest Here
    • Download Gapps XDA thread for PA-Gapps
    • If coming from different ROM must be clean install. If coming from previous Omni dirty flashing is okay
      (Dirty flashing is the act of only wiping Cache and Dalvik Cache then installing ROM)
    • Wipe data/cache
    • Flash ROM
    • Flash Gapps
    • Wipe cache/dalvik cache
    • Reboot **First boot will take some time

Known Issues

• You may need to format data for ROM to boot. **This is very rare anymore but still may be a problem**
    • **By formatting you will delete TWRP backups. So backup your media because you will loose it.
    • No screenshots as of yet "couldn't capture screenshot. storage may be in use." error. No longer an issue
    • You will loose Root go here (chainfire's SuperSU) for flashable zip.

Downloads

Credits

OmniROM - For their source
    CyanogenMod Team
    [URL="http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=4243514]Hashcode[/URL] - Without him this ROM wouldn't be possible
    ~If I forgot you please let me know!
    Yes! Slim is awesome. Omni doesn't have much in the way of features yet but slim.. OMG. So slick.

--》Sent from my mind to your screen

**EDIT:

The build is on...
    Project back after very long delay.

Latest from the OmniRom group will try and keep this fairly regular (2 builds a week). First build (acctually second) up is plain Omni with Linaro 4.8 toolchains.

Next build will be hopefully -03 optimized

[B]About GCC main compiler cflags[/B] said:
    -O1 Optimize. Optimizing compilation takes somewhat more time, and a lot more memory for a large function. With -O, the compiler tries to reduce code size and execution time, without performing any optimizations that take a great deal of compilation time
    -O2
    Optimize even more. GCC performs nearly all supported optimizations that do not involve a space-speed tradeoff. As compared to -O, this option increases both compilation time and the performance of the generated code. -O2 turns on all optimization flags specified by -O
    -O3
    Optimize yet more. -O3 turns on all optimizations specified by -O2 and also turns on the -finline-functions, -funswitch-loops, -fpredictive-commoning, -fgcse-after-reload, -ftree-loop-vectorize, -ftree-slp-vectorize, -fvect-cost-model, -ftree-partial-pre and -fipa-cp-clone options
    -Os
    Optimize for size. -Os enables all -O2 optimizations that do not typically increase code size. It also performs further optimizations designed to reduce code size

Yeah I noticed that too...tried replacing in the build with no success...ended up flashing SuperSU after flashing ROM to get root back, very strange. May pull build until I can get sorted out.

*EDIT*
    Seems to be common amongst Omni 4.4 builds seems you need to flash SuperSU after install. I am not a big fan of doing this, the ROM should have this built in.
    Most recent build is up (from the 25th) No go on the -O3 optimizations. Kernel is built with Linaro 4.8 toolchains by Christopher83 (here). ROMs GCC toolchains are SaberMod 4.8 as well. These make the ROM pretty smooth and it benchmarks very well.