[SOLUTION] AdAway Not Working - Stuck on "Applying hosts file"

Search This thread

xnickfx

May 20, 2013
Here is an easy solution/fix for those who wish to use AdAway v2.8 but end up getting stuck on the final step to enabling ad blocking, "Applying hosts file".

If you are trying to enable AdAway but are stuck on "Applying hosts file" as seen in the screenshot below, then please follow these very simple instructions.
uploadfromtaptalk1390802174044.jpg

1. Download a root explorer. I prefer using Root Explorer because I think its the best file explorer on the android market. If you have problems with purchasing apps you can always use the free version Explorer, or if you prefer using another file explorer that's fine, just make sure it has root access enabled.
uploadfromtaptalk1390802238287.jpg

2. Once you have a file explorer installed that has root access enabled, navigate to "system/etc" and find the file labeled "hosts" as seen in the screenshot below.
uploadfromtaptalk1390802268825.jpg

3. Hold down/select the file labeled "hosts" and select "permissions" from the selection as seen in the screenshot below.
uploadfromtaptalk1390802285765.jpg

4. After selecting permissions a window should have popped up where you can change the permissions of the file as seen in the screenshot below.
uploadfromtaptalk1390802303565.jpg

4. Change the permissions of the hosts file to "rw-rw-rw" just like in the screenshot below. Hit "OK" to apply the permission changes and close the file explorer completely and head back over to AdAway.
uploadfromtaptalk1390802332780.jpg

5. Once you have AdAway back open, click "Download files and apply ad blocking" and try again. Depending on your internet connection it shouldn't take very long, but you should see something like this, hit "Yes".
uploadfromtaptalk1390802403445.jpg

6. After your phone has rebooted, open AdAway again and you should see something like this saying newest hosts files enabled.
uploadfromtaptalk1390802561016.jpg

Congratulations, AdAway is now working and ad blocking is enabled!

BanziBaby

Oct 21, 2010
Cheers for the post, was getting this issue on ASOB 1.3.2 rom & it was starting to get annoying, sometimes it would apply the HOSTS file after a reboot, other times it wouldn't :)

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
The reason AdAway does that on newer android versions (some 4.3 roms and most all 4.4) is because of SELinux. If you change it to permissive, the Hosts file applies perfectly. Do so at your own risk, but I can't stand having it on my phone. Blocks too many fun things.

Reactions: _Lexxington
A

anon4129325

The reason AdAway does that on newer android versions (some 4.3 roms and most all 4.4) is because of SELinux. If you change it to permissive, the Hosts file applies perfectly. Do so at your own risk, but I can't stand having it on my phone. Blocks too many fun things.

I just got a new app that I have to use every day and it places ads right above the keyboard. Was definitely not going to deal with that **** every day it was really distracting.

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
I just got a new app that I have to use every day and it places ads right above the keyboard. Was definitely not going to deal with that **** every day it was really distracting.

That's ridiculous. Not that you have to use the app, of course, but wtf...on top of the keyboard? Do they have a donate version that is ad-free at least? Not everyone has the option to root and disable them. What app is it?

A

anon4129325

That's ridiculous. Not that you have to use the app, of course, but wtf...on top of the keyboard? Do they have a donate version that is ad-free at least? Not everyone has the option to root and disable them. What app is it?

It's not on TOP of the keyboard but directly above it. So when you're entering text input and trying to read what you wrote there's a blaring ad right below your text.

Incredibly obnoxious. The app is called "Awoken" and it's when you make a new entry in the dream journal: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lucid_dreaming.awoken

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
It's not on TOP of the keyboard but directly above it. So when you're entering text input and trying to read what you wrote there's a blaring ad right below your text.

Incredibly obnoxious. The app is called "Awoken" and it's when you make a new entry in the dream journal: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lucid_dreaming.awoken

Ah ok. Well, at least you can opt out of them buy purchasing the premium version of it. I'd probably just do the AdAway option too, but the premium version does have the dark theme which would probably make it worth it to me. I much prefer white text on black backgrounds.

Geforce256

Mar 30, 2014
Still having problems - you can try this

Had the same issue on my HTC Desire running 4.4.2 OmniRom by Spezi77

I followed all the steps outlined in the OP, but still Adaway was stuck while applying the host file

Finally, managed to get it to work :) by disabling the toast notification for Adaway in SuperSU.
attachment.php

The original solution has been posted here (towards the end)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-24-12-32-31.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-24-12-32-31.png
    75 KB · Views: 7,319

Wilogana

May 29, 2014
Las Cruces
On step 3: Using Explorer, I don't have a Permissions option when I select my hosts file. I also couldn't find an alternative File Manager with that option and I can't figure out why it isn't available for myself.

I know I'm probably missing something obvious here. Any ideas?

Geforce256

Mar 30, 2014
I installed root explorer -free version just to reprodcue your problem. Yes, I get the same on step 3 - it only shows the properties of the host file. I think this is partly because the program does not ask for root permissions. With SuperSu i couldn't manually grant root permissions to it.

I would suggest you to use "ES file explorer" instead. When you open this program, access the left menu. Open tools and scroll down to find root explorer option. Now in the app click on the button next to it to switch it on. The program will now ask for root permissions from your super user program. Grant there rights. Then you have to click on the word root explorer and you will get a popup menu. In this menu you have to next to the /system select RW option. This will allow you to make changes to system.

Now close this left menu, and navigate to the hosts file and set the permissions. When you long press on the file you will get similar options as listed in the original post.

You can switch off the root explorer option when you are done.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: Wilogana

Toni10

Mar 27, 2010
Thank you! :good:
That has resolved the problem, that Adaway was not able to update the Host File.

Mezzi

Dec 6, 2011
Hey everyone, I tried the instructions here using both Root Explorer and ES Explorer but similar message on both explorers.

On Root Explorer "Permissions change was not successful. Please note that some file systems (e.g. SD card) do not allow permission changes

On ES Explorer "Sorry, operation failed."

Can anyone shed some light on these errors for me please. Thank you.

N.B. I am using the Huawei Y330

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is an easy solution/fix for those who wish to use AdAway v2.8 but end up getting stuck on the final step to enabling ad blocking, "Applying hosts file".

If you are trying to enable AdAway but are stuck on "Applying hosts file" as seen in the screenshot below, then please follow these very simple instructions.
    uploadfromtaptalk1390802174044.jpg

1. Download a root explorer. I prefer using Root Explorer because I think its the best file explorer on the android market. If you have problems with purchasing apps you can always use the free version Explorer, or if you prefer using another file explorer that's fine, just make sure it has root access enabled.
    uploadfromtaptalk1390802238287.jpg

2. Once you have a file explorer installed that has root access enabled, navigate to "system/etc" and find the file labeled "hosts" as seen in the screenshot below.
    uploadfromtaptalk1390802268825.jpg

3. Hold down/select the file labeled "hosts" and select "permissions" from the selection as seen in the screenshot below.
    uploadfromtaptalk1390802285765.jpg

4. After selecting permissions a window should have popped up where you can change the permissions of the file as seen in the screenshot below.
    uploadfromtaptalk1390802303565.jpg

4. Change the permissions of the hosts file to "rw-rw-rw" just like in the screenshot below. Hit "OK" to apply the permission changes and close the file explorer completely and head back over to AdAway.
    uploadfromtaptalk1390802332780.jpg

5. Once you have AdAway back open, click "Download files and apply ad blocking" and try again. Depending on your internet connection it shouldn't take very long, but you should see something like this, hit "Yes".
    uploadfromtaptalk1390802403445.jpg

6. After your phone has rebooted, open AdAway again and you should see something like this saying newest hosts files enabled.
    uploadfromtaptalk1390802561016.jpg

Congratulations, AdAway is now working and ad blocking is enabled!
    Still having problems - you can try this

Had the same issue on my HTC Desire running 4.4.2 OmniRom by Spezi77

I followed all the steps outlined in the OP, but still Adaway was stuck while applying the host file

Finally, managed to get it to work :) by disabling the toast notification for Adaway in SuperSU.
    attachment.php

The original solution has been posted here (towards the end)
    I installed root explorer -free version just to reprodcue your problem. Yes, I get the same on step 3 - it only shows the properties of the host file. I think this is partly because the program does not ask for root permissions. With SuperSu i couldn't manually grant root permissions to it.

I would suggest you to use "ES file explorer" instead. When you open this program, access the left menu. Open tools and scroll down to find root explorer option. Now in the app click on the button next to it to switch it on. The program will now ask for root permissions from your super user program. Grant there rights. Then you have to click on the word root explorer and you will get a popup menu. In this menu you have to next to the /system select RW option. This will allow you to make changes to system.

Now close this left menu, and navigate to the hosts file and set the permissions. When you long press on the file you will get similar options as listed in the original post.

You can switch off the root explorer option when you are done.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA Free mobile app
    SuperSU Notification tweak fixes it

Disabling the notification in SuperSU worked for me as well.

Thanks for the note.