Windows phone lost another to Siri

Search This thread

ohgood

Aug 8, 2009
Birmingham
I was speaking more towards the granularity of functionality with voice recognition, e.g. MS possibly may not have to have the voice app respond to "Do I need an umbrella tomorrow?" to be competitive.

Sure, the implementation isn't as "neat" but if the end functionality is on par or there's other functionality [see post that you quoted me from] that supplements for the lack of such design then who knows it could still work out.

Of course, people generally like all that glitter and glam huh?

Glam, hmm, hadn't thought of it that way. Some google searches don't turn up what I think they should, and if different phrases or words are used, its spot on... this is where I think siri shines:

"Is jfk closer or lagurdia?" Wouldn't work at all for android or telme, the results would be interesting on siri, and nkot glam at all. Planning a trip via voice searches in stalled traffic would be a great example of how this is a good implementation.

I'm just starting to use voice features on android for sending emails / txt / directions to people, but with more kids introduced to it I can see a completely different landscape of profiles... instead of glowing faces staring down at their phones, they tell it to do something, and it just works.

Lots of possibilites, just like we didn't imagine free driving navigation a few short years ago...it goes on.

xHausx

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida
As far as the lack of great APPs for WP7 i completely agree... What there needs to be is an APP company goes out and ports the Android and iPhone apps to wp7... not without permission of course but think about how much money Developers could save to get their apps out there.

Hire the developer to port the APP for .01c each time that app is purchased a lot cheaper than hiring someone onto what ever company you are payroll and all that crap.

just thinking out loud here.

You'll need to pay them a lot more than that lol

Sent from my Touchpad using xda premium

ScottSUmmers

Apr 2, 2011
Glam, hmm, hadn't thought of it that way. Some google searches don't turn up what I think they should, and if different phrases or words are used, its spot on... this is where I think siri shines:

"Is jfk closer or lagurdia?" Wouldn't work at all for android or telme, the results would be interesting on siri, and nkot glam at all. Planning a trip via voice searches in stalled traffic would be a great example of how this is a good implementation.

I'm just starting to use voice features on android for sending emails / txt / directions to people, but with more kids introduced to it I can see a completely different landscape of profiles... instead of glowing faces staring down at their phones, they tell it to do something, and it just works.

Lots of possibilites, just like we didn't imagine free driving navigation a few short years ago...it goes on.

All I'm saying is that Siri has more presentation. Not saying it's a bad thing, but if Tell Me ends up functionality working the same I personally don't see the big deal. So one would end up announcing different commands, but who cares if the end result is the same.

achmeingott

Mar 27, 2011
The iPhone is considered a fairly stable platform, yet you hear problems all the time of stability and signal issues. All platforms have hardware issues and its how the carriers and OEM deal with this is really what is the big impact.

When I had an iPhone 3g, I went through 4 of them. The first two had the same problem, I wouldn't get an calls or texts all day, I'd restart the phone and have 3 voicemails and 5 texts waiting for me. All of them had a huge problem with dust under the screen, which is how I got the last two. That being said, I've never had a problem with my Focus, occasionally I'll have a rogue app that crashes at launch, nothing a restart or reinstall won't fix.

lovenokia

Sep 1, 2011
The title has nothing to do with the actual thread as from the story the guy was wowed by an iPhone 3G so that has nothing to do with Siri.
This is the real issue... Even without Siri people would still go and buy the iPhone 4S, that has nothing to do with voice command.
Windows Phone is great, the UI is smooth, it rarely crashes (well except on HTC phones it seems) and integrates social quite well. However for most people, once the first 2-3 weeks are gone the novelty comes from apps and games and these are not there on WP. If you need a particular app for your phone, you will definitely find it on iOS and will probably find it on Android. It's very unlikely you will find it on WP unless it's a very popular app and even then there's no guarantee. A typical conversation between a WP an a android/iPhone user goes like this:
- Let me call you, do you have skype?
- It's not available yet (no one cares if it's "coming")
- How about Tango?
- Not there either but I have WhatsApp
- Alright, fine
- Do you have "X" app? It's pretty great
- Nope
- How about "X" game? It will blow you away
- Neither but I do have Xbox Live on my phone
- Cool, I have an Xbox 360, what games do you get on the phone?
- (better not to mention)

Rince and repeat the last bit with facebook and Zune. It's nice to have if you're into these things but it's not groundbreaking.
Most people get their phone on a 2 years contract, they don't want a phone that's just nice and promises more apps and games, they can just get that phone in 2 years time!
I was definitely going to recommend WP to my friends after Mango but the truth is there hasn't been an app or game worth downloading in 2 or 3 months so once the novelty wears off they would be pretty bored. My girlfriend has been playing 3 different Angry Birds games on her Nexus S lately and she got them all for free. She has dozens of apps that don't exist on WP so I can't possibly push her towards the platform. Same goes for my gamer friends who have tons of great games on their iPhone. Windows Phone could have competed on price but now you can get an iPhone 3GS for free or an iPhone 4 for 99$ so you would need seriously good arguments.
So all in all the issue isn't just Siri impressing people, it's also Microsoft not having a "Siri feature", i.e. a feature that makes you go "I want that phone".

Dude we now have tango and have skype now? Wtf are you talking about. At least give us proper info before you start to bull**** us.

anseio

Oct 11, 2011
Seattle
Dude we now have tango and have skype now? Wtf are you talking about. At least give us proper info before you start to bull**** us.

Please read the dates/on some posts. You're replying to a comment that was originally written on 10/18/11, WAAAAAAY before either Skype or Tango became available.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18521198&postcount=9

According to the marketplace, Tango was published on 11/8/11. That's almost 3 weeks after this post. Though his comment may not apply to NOW, it certainly applied then.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dude, I'm much more a man than you'll ever be. You'd only need to take a look at my model wife. Beautiful women like that don't marry "boys".

And since you can't add anything valid to the argument, I would call you a loser.

LOL. I wonder if your wife saw this post if she would still consider being married to you. Come on man, are you 12? You effectively just reduced the women in your life to a nice, shiny object of desire...an iWife.
    Ok well a guy I work with has a Samsung Focus, pretty decent device. BTW this is the only person I know that has a windows phone. ATT gave him the Focus free because of him having problems with his previous dumb phone. That was nice of ATT.

So recently this guy told me that the Focus has been giving him problems of late and he is hating it, like when he opens the camera and press the camera button the phone restarts.

So another guy I work with sold him an iphone 3g as a backup. So he goes home and plays with a non activated iphone 3g and he is wowed by the 3g. He told me how he downloaded apps and the phone was so fun without it even being activated. Now he wants an iphone which is fine because WP didnt win him over. They lost a user by ATT even giving him the WP device for free.

One thing I have noticed is that people tend to follow the fad. Siri is nice, which makes Tellme have a lot of work to do. I stand behind Windows Phone and will continue to. Everyone I know either are a Android or iphone user besides my cousin who is still a Symbian user but im slowly converting him over to Windows phone with the Nokia device.

My question is, how will WP overcome the competition or will they ever. They have a long way to go keeping up with the competition and passing them up. What will Windows offer that will appeal to more users? How will Windows wow people?
    Most people buy the iPhone for its status symbol... they want to be in line for 4 days, show off their brand new iPhone and use about 1% of its abilities.

This is a myth; you're not "cool" or "special" if you own an IPhone, as everyone now owns them! It sells well because users are happy with the hardware and with IOS. Plus Apple adverts do make their phones look sexy and desirable (something Microsoft could learn from).

I tried Siri in my natural language (Italian) and it couldn't even place a phone call or open an application. I didn't read any manual about it, but it tried saying phrases like "Call <Name>" or "text <someone>" or "open mail" or "search for <thing>". And it never worked!

Siri doesn't support Italian, so of course it doesn't work! Only works with French, German and English (UK, US and Aus accents).

Can Siri read text messages out to you, no? At least not without pushing a button. I think that's one of the most important things for voice because I tend to text and drive a lot. Yet the shiny brand new iphone 4s can't even do it, not to mention it's tiny 3.5" screen........!

Have you even watching the Apple Siri promo vid? 5 seconds in Siri reads a text message to a jogger. At 1:00 minute mark Siri reads a text message to a blind girl with no button press:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNsrl86inpo
    Dude, I'm much more a man than you'll ever be. You'd only need to take a look at my model wife. Beautiful women like that don't marry "boys".

And since you can't add anything valid to the argument, I would call you a loser.
    Oh my God! Quote of the year (not a compliment).
    Oh my God! Quote of the year (not a compliment).
    LOL, nice quote...however,I'm more interested on seeing how is a boy's model wife...