[APP][2.1+][29 JAN 2015] Ultimate Caller ID Screen HD [HD Caller ID/Video ID]

Search This thread

lowveld

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2008
Ultimate Call Screen HD

HD Full Screen Caller ID, Video Caller ID, Fullscreen SMS receiver and Call Blocker. The most complete fullscreen caller ID replacement and phone toolbox on Google Play, feature leader on its class, UCS is much more than a simple call ID app with big pictures. UCS combines:

- Fullscreen Caller ID replacement with true HD pictures of your contacts
- Full Screen Video ID
- FullScreen SMS notifications
- Fullscreen SMS Browser, including threaded mode
- Fullscreen Missed Calls notifications
- Unprecedented theming options, including 11 free themes
- Contact picture manager
- Call Blocker
- Sensor-base actions such as rejecting calls by turning the phone screen-down
- AND configurable swipe gestures just to be sure you handle your phone any way you want to.

As recommended on www.lifehacker.com:
"The features of this app are almost too numerous to list, but if you use your phone to make phone calls (you know, that thing it was originally intended for), it's a must-have."

preview_hud_c.jpgpreview_ring_c.jpgpreview_buttons_c.jpgpreview_rotary_c.jpgpreview_stab_c.jpgpreview_sms_c.jpg

In one app, you get:
- Choose pictures from gallery, camera or link to Facebook friends using their HD profile pictures
- Choose Videos from your gallery to use as full screen caller ID
- Apply pictures to contacts directly from your gallery, with the android "share" function. Just choose "Add to UCS"!
- Answer calls with buttons, sliding buttons, rotary buttons, swipe gestures... You choose!
- Configure your phone to hangup calls, put on speaker or mute ringer simply by turning the phone screen-down!
- Swipe gestures (reject and answer calls, reject with sms, reply to sms, ...)
- Fully featured Call blocker
- Fullscreen SMS receiver
- Fullscreen Missed Calls Notifications, with dismiss, callback and answer functions, and configurable swipe gestures
- Complete theme support for both call and SMS screens, personalizable per contact
- Picture syncing of HD pictures to phone internal contacts
- Privacy Screen: hide incoming call and SMS details from prying eyes until it's safe to pick-up/read

Advanced Features:
- Use your current android contact picture as fullscreen caller ID (Licensed only!)
- Selectively enable only for outgoing/incoming calls
- Sync your android contact database to use your UCS-defined callscreen HD pictures, or batch-upload a set of pictures from your sdcard
- Hide parts of the call screen for cleaner interface.
- Option to make incoming SMS show above lockscreen, including turning the screen on
- Missed calls viewer
- You can ALWAYS go back to the default phone interface during a call, simply by pressing the phone "Back" while on a call
- Much MUCH more! Take a look through the available settings!

Getting Started and Important Notes
- To use the dialpad and other in-call functions, press the "Back" button on a call to bring up the default phone interface! Due to security restrictions imposed by Google, it's impossible for me to provide a working dialer during an ongoing non-VoIP call.
- In version V5.0.0 and upwards, the model of the free version changed due to userbase request. Almost all functions are available, but there is a personalizable contact limit.

Market Link for Lite Version:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lowveld.ucs

Enjoy

Last edited:

lowveld

Nov 13, 2008
Changelogs

V10.3.9
- Lollipop compatibility

V10.3.3
- Improved Facebook auto-matching
- Performance optimizations
- Reduced memory footprint
- Minor bug fixes

V10.3.3
- Polish translation. Thanks cvxcvx and TomoS!

V10.3.0
- Contact manager now has its own tab on Settings, including Fast Scroll and visual status indicators
- More efficient contact lists
- Fixed issue with default Video ID for known contacts showing even if contact was personalized
- Fixed visibility issues on Facebook lists when using Dark UI

V10.2.0
- Updated UI to new light look
- Fixed VideoID for android 4.4 devices
- Missed Call Screen no longer deletes calls from Call Log
- Fixed minor issues in SMS theming
- Performance improvements

V10.1.1
- Fixed issue with overriding colors in SMS themes
- Updated French translation (Thanks Loic!)

V10.1.0
- Added option to block calls with hidden numbers
- Added option to force screen full brightness on calls (find it on "Call Settings"->"Callscreen Interface"). Option is On by default, and brightness is restored when call ends.

V10.0.0
- Redesigned User Interface
- New plugin to control UCS new UI animations
- Fixed issue with Video ID keeping playing audio after answering call with Headsets
- Fixed issue where "callback" function on new SMS notification screen was not working properly
- Hiding button block on SMS theme no longer also hides contact name and number
- Improved theming engine to support upcoming theme features
- Minor fixes and optimizations

V9.7.0
- Added SMS Browser: fast view of all SMS, tap to go fullscreen, accessible directly from your phone app drawer
- SMS Browser supports threaded mode (tap options to set it). When in thread mode, fullscreen viewer cycles through thread only
- Re-designed fullscreen SMS viewer to use HUD interface, added next and previous SMS buttons, and also a "callback" function
- Dimissing SMS, or pressing next/previous buttons mark current SMS as read
- Re-designed app icons, and some in-app graphics
- Fixed crash if user removed video from phone and it was being used by UCS
- Fixed issue with multiple calls
- Minor bugfixes

V9.5.1
- Changed default interface on new installs to HUD
- Added "Reject With SMS" button to HUD on incoming calls
- Removed Contact Manager shortcut from phone app drawer
- Increased possible call exit delay values to accommodate slower phones

V9.4.0

- Added configurable delay on Call Screen exit to allow laggy stock interface to finish (Call Settings -> Callscreen Interface)
- UCS now displays phone numbers formated according to your country (option to disable included in Call Settings -> Callscreen Interface)
- Added option to manually crop facebook pictures when linking individual contacts

V9.3.0

- Added UCS Plugins feature: LICENSED users only!
- "Standalone Syncer" is now a builtin plugin, several bugfixes included
- "FindMe plugin": make your phone ring even in silence mode with a pre-defined SMS
- "Theme Previewer Plugin": fast preview of themes on any UCS screens
- "Phonebook Pictures Plugin": use your existing photos for non personalized contacts
- Added some delay on call ends to give time to stock interface to exit
- Moved Privacy Screen Settings to Settings tab
- Themes also apply to Missed Call Screen now
- Optimized app memory footprint
- Minor fixes

V9.2.0

- Added new Heads Up Display compact call interface, custom position available
- Added new HUD Profile
- Added text color customization to SMS Theme Manager
- Added option to exclude contacts from UCS
- Themes now also apply to Privacy Screen
- Re-designed Detailed Contact view on Contact Manager
- Fixed issue with call answering on some phones
- Fix contact preview wrongly applying Smart Info for non-personalized contacts

V9.1.0

- Added "Smart Info": for personalized known contacts, automatically hide name, number and CID block background
- Added "Profiles" feature: one touch configuration of UCS behavior
- Added full costumization of Ring Picker interface targets, you define what each button does
- Added option to invert position of Answer and Decline buttons on Rotary, Sliding Tab, and Push Buttons interfaces
- Added option to use different default pictures for unknown contacts on incoming and outgoing calls
- Added workaround option for dual-sim phones to be able to choose sim card on outgoing calls
- Privacy Screen now supports sensor actions (turn to mute ringer or hang up call)
- FIX: allow USSD type messages to correctly show
- FIX: allow notifications to be pulled down if the status bar is not hidden in call screens
- minor bugfixes and optimizations

V9.0.0

- Drastic performance improvement on caller ID display: instant response
- Re-organized existing call settings for more logical configuration
- Optional override of theme colors for name, number and call time
- Removed possibility of custom separate themes for unknown contacts: one default theme for everyone
- Still possible to personalize theme differently for known and unknown contacts
- Added option to use SMS templates for "Reject With SMS" function
- Several rare-bugs fixes

V8.1.0

- Increased facebook pictures quality
- IMPORTANT: existing users should do a "Sync Pictures Now" to improve old pictures
- Optimized facebook "I Feel Lucky": more reliable auto-matching of contacts (Licensed only)
- Other performance optimizations

V8.0.0

- Added Fullscreen Missed Calls Notifications
- Notification screen allows swipe actions, dismiss, callback, and reply with SMS
- Added optional on-screen "mute" button during calls
- Added Privacy Options also to Fullscreen notifications
- Optimizations on image handling: should solve rare issues with FC on loading or rotating pictures
- Increased picture quality when using existing android contact pictures on ICS and above (Licensed only)
- Increased functions on Contact Manager detailed view: click picture now offers also options to reset contact, reset facebook linking, using current internal contact picture as source, and syncing the current UCS picture to internal Android database
- Added dedicated Un-link menu to Facebook options. Single press any facebook contact to clear association. Great for errors after using "I Feel Lucky" Option

V7.4.0

- Added Privacy options for both calls and SMS - check rigt-most tab on UCS settings
- Choose to hide caller name and picture until you choose to unlock the callscreen
- Choose to selectively hide text, or all contact details, on SMS screen until you unlock it
- Moved Internal Phone Syncing menu to General Settings tab on UCS settings
- FIX: issue with retrieving friend list on Facebook synchronization

V7.3.3

- Fixed issue with proximity sensor not turning off screen during call (SGS3 and possibly other phones)
- Fixed wrong call duration indication on some devices
- Fixed possible issues with unknown phone callers causing rare crashes
- Fixed layout issue on SMS. SMS now adjusts to the presence or not of buttons.
- Added configurable font size for calls/SMS

V7.3.2

- Fixed possible issue with Answer on SGS III
- Added optional root-required methods for answering/declining calls. Should ONLY be used if you have problems with UCS, and your phone MUST be rooted.
- Added Setup Wizard for initial configuration
- Added option to hide UCS after answering a call
- Increased customization of SMS screen. You can now hide the buttons, etc.
- FIXED: Facebook authorization issues on some phones
- FIXED: issue when choosing Ring Picker interface for German users

V 6.2.0

- JellyBean compatibility

V 5.1.3

- Fixed issue in phone syncing for ICS builds, where pictures could be assigned to wrong contacts
- Optimized memory usage on image editing: should fix the issue for rare FCs when rotating images
- Improved facebook picture fetching, possibly fixing rare cases where contact pictures were not being downloaded
- Several optimizations on phone syncing code
- Improved theming capabilities: look for new theme "Snow White"
- Several minor bugfixes

V 4.0.0

- New: Reject call with SMS. Only accessible with swipe gesture, to keep the interface clean.
- New: Ultimate SMS Screen can flip through all your SMS messages. Only accessible with swipe gesture
- Swipe actions are now fully configurable
- In calls, any swipe can be configured to reject, answer, reject with SMS, and default phone interface.
- In SMS, any swipe can be configured to dismiss, reply to the SMS, view previous and view next SMS
- Portuguese translation
- German translation

V 2.2.0

- Added Rotate function to Picture Editor
- Launch the Contact Manager directly from your app drawer
- New option to force UCS to ignore answer/reject button presses, and only react to long presses (press and hold the button, avoids accidental pickup/hangup)
- Licensed Users: Added capability to set different default themes, as well as independent hiding of callscreen elements, for known and unknown callers
- Free Users: Can selectively hide callscreen elements for unknown callers only

V 1.4.0

- You can hide parts of the callscreen, like buttons and backgrounds.
- You can set different default HD default pictures for Unknown contacts.
- (Licensed) You can apply different themes per-contact. With a transparent theme and swipe gestures, you can achieve true fullscreen for selected contacts.
- Fixed issue where UCS would sometimes not show on calls
- Rearranged UCS preferences into sub-menus.
- Added a "Tips and Tricks" section to preferences.

V 1.2.4

- fixed the issue where some people would get the status bar cover part of the caller name. There should be no fullscreen issues now.
- When you press back on Contact Manager or Theme Manager, you will now go back to UCS Preferences (would exit UCS before)
- Remember position on contact list: when you exit a detailed contact view, the list will start from that contact, not from the beginning. (yes, was annoying)
- Press visual feedback on UCS buttons (change color when pressed)

V 1.2.3
- Option to show on-screen "set on loudspeaker" button
- Option to show/hide status bar on lockscreen: people with problems where the status bar shows anyway, and hides part of the caller ID, set this OFF as a workaround!
- Option to give haptic feedback (vibrate) on UCS key presses
- FIX: Hopefully motorola people will stop having FCs when saving pictures
- Optimized memory footprint
- Removed unnecessary "save" option after saving an image on the editor

V 1.2.0
- Added theming capability, and a Theme Manager, for Licensed users only! Search for "UCS Suave theme" in google play to see it in action, and I will be doing a lot more themes in the near future.
- Changed answer/call buttons for a more polished look.
- Fixed issues with rare random crashes while viewing detailed contact info.

V 1.1.0:
- Removed restriction on editing pictures only on portrait, it now serves as simple rotate feature: turn the phone to landscape when editing pictures, and on saving, UCS will rotate the visible area to portrait. So UCS still shows exactly what you cropped and are seeing, plus it rotated the original image.
- Fixed race condition that lead to a very "rare" FC (thanks to whoever reported the crash to google play)
- Changed application icon

V 1.0.1:
- Restrict image editing and cropping to portrait mode to avoid FC until I rework it

V 1.0.0:
- Initial release

Last edited:

lowveld

Nov 13, 2008
Theming guide

This is a tutorial on how to build themes for UCS. You will need the Android SDK and Eclipse installed and setup.

I provide an Eclipse project which you can use as base and example to give you a quick startup. Note that there are other ways to do this without eclipse, but I won't get into that. But it is not enough to open the apk and just drop images into there (unless you decompile it, recompile it, and sign it). Well, at least not enough to use the full power of the theming engine: you won't be able to change text size, element position, and other stuff without recompiling.

Take the attached eclipse project and import it. (please don't ask how to do this, there are numerous tutorials on how to setup eclipse/android SDK, and that is not the purpose of this post/thread).

Template Eclipse Project: View attachment UCS_Template_Theme.1.0.0.tar.gz

Alternatively, here is the compiled apk from the project above: View attachment UCS_Template_Theme.1.0.0.apk

The apk is useful if you just want to change some images, and also if you use some of the toolkits around here in xda to decompile/compile apks. In fact, you don't actually need Eclipse to completely change the template: use something like ApkManager, and just decompile the apk.

The theming does not involve java programming, that's why it works so nice with a decompiler: no smali editing. All you need for theming is replacing drawables, and editing xml files.

When starting, take a look at the files in:

res/drawables/
res/values/

The xml files in the drawables folder point to the actual images in /res/drawable-hdpi, and those are what you want to change
The xml files in res/values control everything from text color to element placing. Take special attention to integers.xml, I inserted comments on it to make clearer what every key does.

Play around with this, run it with the "run as android application" command with your phone connected to your PC if you're using Eclipse. Getting the offsets just the way you wanto to can be tricky.
When you're done, just export as signed application and share it here if you feel like it!

Cheers

Last edited:

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
Great work like ever, tried it on latest reaper and it will become my default call screen :)

e2zippo

Dec 28, 2009
Borlänge
Great work lowveld! Using it on reaper now, but just to clarify, if i want to turn on speaker and so on I have to go back to the default one?

I don't know how you do it, you're way to talented dude :p

Cheers!

lowveld

Nov 13, 2008
Yep, I believe that you must hit the back button to return to normal dialer and then enable speaker from there.

No, just activate the "turn to speaker" feature. During a call, just turn the phone screen down!

Cheers

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda premium

Reactions: imilic

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
London, Colchester, Wivenhoe
earlier failure to post was obviously a tapatalk (xda app) issue. Already loving this application....:D

Is it too early for future functionality requests? :rolleyes:

Please incorporate a backup and restore option, so that the custom linkages and pictures can be saved across ROMs. In the meantime how can I manually backup these, will titanium do? or is there an SD card directory?

lowveld

Nov 13, 2008
earlier failure to post was obviously a tapatalk (xda app) issue. Already loving this application....:D

Please incorporate a backup and restore option, so that the custom linkages and pictures can be saved across ROMs. In the meantime how can I manually backup these, will titanium do? or is there an SD card directory?

You can safely backup with titanium and restore to the same rom with no issues. Across roms you can't do that, because the internal android contact database changes.

Its never too early for requests, ill try to figure out a way around this!

Cheers

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda premium

Reactions: ben_pyett

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
One thing i would like to see on ucs is the ability to rotate the pictures, if I'm allowed to make a feature request.
I came across this, because i have a picture i rotated myself at the gallery, but if i import it to ucs it isn't rotated, i know it can easily be solved with another app, but it would be nice if ucs takes to rotation from gallery or if i would be able to rotate it myself.

Last edited:

lowveld

Nov 13, 2008

Ben, let me rephrase my earlier answer: if you use titanium to restore both the contacts database and UCS, when restoring both to another rom all should be ok with UCS internal contact mapping. But you know how I feel about restoring system data across roms, so I'll try to come up with a better solution.

One thing i would like to see on ucs is the ability to rotate the pictures, if I'm allowed to make a feature request (and maybe to crop them).
I came across this, because i have a picture i rotated myself at the gallery, but if i import it to ucs it isn't rotated, i know it can easily be solved with another app, but it would be nice if ucs takes to rotation from gallery or if i would be able to rotate it myself.

Hey mate!

Well, I will surely look into this. Plus, your request lead me to identify the first bug in ICS, and I just uploaded version V1.0.1 because of you, so thanks for that! (the bug was that if you tried using the image editor/cropper on landscape mode, it would FC on saving the image).

But I got a bit confused about your "maybe to crop them" part of the request. Currently you can zoom in and out of any picture, move it around, and when saving, UCS will crop the image to what is showing on the screen (minus the buttons of course). You can use either the in-screen zoom buttons, or regular multi-touch (pinch to zoom), and simple dragging to move the picture around.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough about this before...

Cheers

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
Excellent, a new version

In response to the rotate request, it's +1 that world be really useful

Crop not needed, as you said already multi touch, although it would be good if when you're on the resize image screen, if there were lines at the top and bottom of the screen indicating the size that the image has to be stretched to, as I like the top and bottom that show the calling number and buttons not to also have the image behind (hope that makes sense).

Swyped form ym Dersie S unsig XAD Permuim

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
backup/restore question
Does the UCS app make and store a copy of the edited pictures or simply keep a link to the original pictures?

As, I've created a new directory on my sd card simply for my UCS pictures, so could any backup function you create simply map the existing contacts to their UCS contact picture file path, it would be incredible if it would also remember the sizing settings for each image.

lowveld

Nov 13, 2008
Excellent, a new version

In response to the rotate request, it's +1 that world be really useful

Crop not needed, as you said already multi touch, although it would be good if when you're on the resize image screen, if there were lines at the top and bottom of the screen indicating the size that the image has to be stretched to, as I like the top and bottom that show the calling number and buttons not to also have the image behind (hope that makes sense).

Hey,

Yeah, I think I got what you meant. Showing guidelines to tell the user where the caller ID interface elements will actually show would be possible, I guess. But it would be a pain for you to align the picture. Actually I never thought that it could be used that way (with black headers and footers instead of fullscreen pic).

Anyway, what about a compromise meanwhile: I give the option to instead of those semi-transparent rectangles that show beneath the buttons and contact numbers/names, paint it black. What do you think? The end result will be what you want, I guess, but you should scale the images to fullscreen, and sort of guess where the black will be.

The reason I'm reluctant to add guidelines or whatever to the cropper, is because I'm trying to figure out a way to let the user change the position of those elements on the call screen, and it would become inconsistent on that case. Ok, I'm rambling now...

Cheers

lowveld

Nov 13, 2008
backup/restore question
Does the UCS app make and store a copy of the edited pictures or simply keep a link to the original pictures?

As, I've created a new directory on my sd card simply for my UCS pictures, so could any backup function you create simply map the existing contacts to their UCS contact picture file path, it would be incredible if it would also remember the sizing settings for each image.

UCS saves the final cropped image you assign to a contact, and that's the one that will be used from there on. You can even delete the original, no harm done.

There's no need for you to create another backup dir on the sdcard: the saved files are on the app own directory, and will be saved by Titanium backup. If you still want to keep sort of a catalog of what you use, so clean installs of UCS on other roms go faster, just copy the .jpg files from /data/data/com.lowveld.ucs/files

Mapping the picture to contacts is a different matter, and the main difficulty regarding a save/restore functionality. I'll have to really think hard on how to achieve this...

Cheers, and thanks for the input!

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
On thinking about it, forget about guidelines, just don't make the backgrounds at the top and bottom of the screen semi transparent, if possible make this colour/transparency configurable through options? I'd prefer none so you gave full screen pictures, with number and buttons simply overlaid, you could even have the colour of the text of the calling number configurable

Last request for today, promise, night

Last edited:

lowveld

Nov 13, 2008
On thinking about it, forget about guidelines, just don't make the backgrounds at the top and bottom of the screen semi transparent, if possible make this colour/transparency configurable through options? I'd prefer none so you gave full screen pictures, with number and buttons simply overlaid, you could even have the colour of the text of the calling number configurable

Last request for today, promise, night

Fair enough. Let me see what I can do ;)

Cheers, and good night.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ultimate Call Screen HD

HD Full Screen Caller ID, Video Caller ID, Fullscreen SMS receiver and Call Blocker. The most complete fullscreen caller ID replacement and phone toolbox on Google Play, feature leader on its class, UCS is much more than a simple call ID app with big pictures. UCS combines:

- Fullscreen Caller ID replacement with true HD pictures of your contacts
    - Full Screen Video ID
    - FullScreen SMS notifications
    - Fullscreen SMS Browser, including threaded mode
    - Fullscreen Missed Calls notifications
    - Unprecedented theming options, including 11 free themes
    - Contact picture manager
    - Call Blocker
    - Sensor-base actions such as rejecting calls by turning the phone screen-down
    - AND configurable swipe gestures just to be sure you handle your phone any way you want to.

As recommended on www.lifehacker.com:
    "The features of this app are almost too numerous to list, but if you use your phone to make phone calls (you know, that thing it was originally intended for), it's a must-have."

preview_hud_c.jpgpreview_ring_c.jpgpreview_buttons_c.jpgpreview_rotary_c.jpgpreview_stab_c.jpgpreview_sms_c.jpg

In one app, you get:
    - Choose pictures from gallery, camera or link to Facebook friends using their HD profile pictures
    - Choose Videos from your gallery to use as full screen caller ID
    - Apply pictures to contacts directly from your gallery, with the android "share" function. Just choose "Add to UCS"!
    - Answer calls with buttons, sliding buttons, rotary buttons, swipe gestures... You choose!
    - Configure your phone to hangup calls, put on speaker or mute ringer simply by turning the phone screen-down!
    - Swipe gestures (reject and answer calls, reject with sms, reply to sms, ...)
    - Fully featured Call blocker
    - Fullscreen SMS receiver
    - Fullscreen Missed Calls Notifications, with dismiss, callback and answer functions, and configurable swipe gestures
    - Complete theme support for both call and SMS screens, personalizable per contact
    - Picture syncing of HD pictures to phone internal contacts
    - Privacy Screen: hide incoming call and SMS details from prying eyes until it's safe to pick-up/read

Advanced Features:
    - Use your current android contact picture as fullscreen caller ID (Licensed only!)
    - Selectively enable only for outgoing/incoming calls
    - Sync your android contact database to use your UCS-defined callscreen HD pictures, or batch-upload a set of pictures from your sdcard
    - Hide parts of the call screen for cleaner interface.
    - Option to make incoming SMS show above lockscreen, including turning the screen on
    - Missed calls viewer
    - You can ALWAYS go back to the default phone interface during a call, simply by pressing the phone "Back" while on a call
    - Much MUCH more! Take a look through the available settings!

Getting Started and Important Notes
    - To use the dialpad and other in-call functions, press the "Back" button on a call to bring up the default phone interface! Due to security restrictions imposed by Google, it's impossible for me to provide a working dialer during an ongoing non-VoIP call.
    - In version V5.0.0 and upwards, the model of the free version changed due to userbase request. Almost all functions are available, but there is a personalizable contact limit.

Market Link for Lite Version:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lowveld.ucs

Enjoy
    Changelogs

V10.3.9
    - Lollipop compatibility

V10.3.3
    - Improved Facebook auto-matching
    - Performance optimizations
    - Reduced memory footprint
    - Minor bug fixes

V10.3.3
    - Polish translation. Thanks cvxcvx and TomoS!

V10.3.0
    - Contact manager now has its own tab on Settings, including Fast Scroll and visual status indicators
    - More efficient contact lists
    - Fixed issue with default Video ID for known contacts showing even if contact was personalized
    - Fixed visibility issues on Facebook lists when using Dark UI

V10.2.0
    - Updated UI to new light look
    - Fixed VideoID for android 4.4 devices
    - Missed Call Screen no longer deletes calls from Call Log
    - Fixed minor issues in SMS theming

V10.1.1
    - Fixed issue with overriding colors in SMS themes
    - Updated French translation (Thanks Loic!)

V10.1.0
    - Added option to block calls with hidden numbers
    - Added option to force screen full brightness on calls (find it on "Call Settings"->"Callscreen Interface"). Option is On by default, and brightness is restored when call ends.

V10.0.0
    - Redesigned User Interface
    - New plugin to control UCS new UI animations
    - Fixed issue with Video ID keeping playing audio after answering call with Headsets
    - Fixed issue where "callback" function on new SMS notification screen was not working properly
    - Hiding button block on SMS theme no longer also hides contact name and number
    - Improved theming engine to support upcoming theme features
    - Minor fixes and optimizations

V9.7.0
    - Added SMS Browser: fast view of all SMS, tap to go fullscreen, accessible directly from your phone app drawer
    - SMS Browser supports threaded mode (tap options to set it). When in thread mode, fullscreen viewer cycles through thread only
    - Re-designed fullscreen SMS viewer to use HUD interface, added next and previous SMS buttons, and also a "callback" function
    - Dimissing SMS, or pressing next/previous buttons mark current SMS as read
    - Re-designed app icons, and some in-app graphics
    - Fixed crash if user removed video from phone and it was being used by UCS
    - Fixed issue with multiple calls
    - Minor bugfixes

V9.5.1
    - Changed default interface on new installs to HUD
    - Added "Reject With SMS" button to HUD on incoming calls
    - Removed Contact Manager shortcut from phone app drawer
    - Increased possible call exit delay values to accommodate slower phones

V9.4.0

- Added configurable delay on Call Screen exit to allow laggy stock interface to finish (Call Settings -> Callscreen Interface)
    - UCS now displays phone numbers formated according to your country (option to disable included in Call Settings -> Callscreen Interface)
    - Added option to manually crop facebook pictures when linking individual contacts

V9.3.0

- Added UCS Plugins feature: LICENSED users only!
    - "Standalone Syncer" is now a builtin plugin, several bugfixes included
    - "FindMe plugin": make your phone ring even in silence mode with a pre-defined SMS
    - "Theme Previewer Plugin": fast preview of themes on any UCS screens
    - "Phonebook Pictures Plugin": use your existing photos for non personalized contacts
    - Added some delay on call ends to give time to stock interface to exit
    - Moved Privacy Screen Settings to Settings tab
    - Themes also apply to Missed Call Screen now
    - Optimized app memory footprint
    - Minor fixes

V9.2.0

- Added new Heads Up Display compact call interface, custom position available
    - Added new HUD Profile
    - Added text color customization to SMS Theme Manager
    - Added option to exclude contacts from UCS
    - Themes now also apply to Privacy Screen
    - Re-designed Detailed Contact view on Contact Manager
    - Fixed issue with call answering on some phones
    - Fix contact preview wrongly applying Smart Info for non-personalized contacts

V9.1.0

- Added "Smart Info": for personalized known contacts, automatically hide name, number and CID block background
    - Added "Profiles" feature: one touch configuration of UCS behavior
    - Added full costumization of Ring Picker interface targets, you define what each button does
    - Added option to invert position of Answer and Decline buttons on Rotary, Sliding Tab, and Push Buttons interfaces
    - Added option to use different default pictures for unknown contacts on incoming and outgoing calls
    - Added workaround option for dual-sim phones to be able to choose sim card on outgoing calls
    - Privacy Screen now supports sensor actions (turn to mute ringer or hang up call)
    - FIX: allow USSD type messages to correctly show
    - FIX: allow notifications to be pulled down if the status bar is not hidden in call screens
    - minor bugfixes and optimizations

V9.0.0

- Drastic performance improvement on caller ID display: instant response
    - Re-organized existing call settings for more logical configuration
    - Optional override of theme colors for name, number and call time
    - Removed possibility of custom separate themes for unknown contacts: one default theme for everyone
    - Still possible to personalize theme differently for known and unknown contacts
    - Added option to use SMS templates for "Reject With SMS" function
    - Several rare-bugs fixes

V8.1.0

- Increased facebook pictures quality
    - IMPORTANT: existing users should do a "Sync Pictures Now" to improve old pictures
    - Optimized facebook "I Feel Lucky": more reliable auto-matching of contacts (Licensed only)
    - Other performance optimizations

V8.0.0

- Added Fullscreen Missed Calls Notifications
    - Notification screen allows swipe actions, dismiss, callback, and reply with SMS
    - Added optional on-screen "mute" button during calls
    - Added Privacy Options also to Fullscreen notifications
    - Optimizations on image handling: should solve rare issues with FC on loading or rotating pictures
    - Increased picture quality when using existing android contact pictures on ICS and above (Licensed only)
    - Increased functions on Contact Manager detailed view: click picture now offers also options to reset contact, reset facebook linking, using current internal contact picture as source, and syncing the current UCS picture to internal Android database
    - Added dedicated Un-link menu to Facebook options. Single press any facebook contact to clear association. Great for errors after using "I Feel Lucky" Option

V7.4.0

- Added Privacy options for both calls and SMS - check rigt-most tab on UCS settings
    - Choose to hide caller name and picture until you choose to unlock the callscreen
    - Choose to selectively hide text, or all contact details, on SMS screen until you unlock it
    - Moved Internal Phone Syncing menu to General Settings tab on UCS settings
    - FIX: issue with retrieving friend list on Facebook synchronization

V7.3.3

- Fixed issue with proximity sensor not turning off screen during call (SGS3 and possibly other phones)
    - Fixed wrong call duration indication on some devices
    - Fixed possible issues with unknown phone callers causing rare crashes
    - Fixed layout issue on SMS. SMS now adjusts to the presence or not of buttons.
    - Added configurable font size for calls/SMS

V7.3.2

- Fixed possible issue with Answer on SGS III
    - Added optional root-required methods for answering/declining calls. Should ONLY be used if you have problems with UCS, and your phone MUST be rooted.
    - Added Setup Wizard for initial configuration
    - Added option to hide UCS after answering a call
    - Increased customization of SMS screen. You can now hide the buttons, etc.
    - FIXED: Facebook authorization issues on some phones
    - FIXED: issue when choosing Ring Picker interface for German users

V 6.2.0

- JellyBean compatibility

V 5.1.3

- Fixed issue in phone syncing for ICS builds, where pictures could be assigned to wrong contacts
    - Optimized memory usage on image editing: should fix the issue for rare FCs when rotating images
    - Improved facebook picture fetching, possibly fixing rare cases where contact pictures were not being downloaded
    - Several optimizations on phone syncing code
    - Improved theming capabilities: look for new theme "Snow White"
    - Several minor bugfixes

V 4.0.0

- New: Reject call with SMS. Only accessible with swipe gesture, to keep the interface clean.
    - New: Ultimate SMS Screen can flip through all your SMS messages. Only accessible with swipe gesture
    - Swipe actions are now fully configurable
    - In calls, any swipe can be configured to reject, answer, reject with SMS, and default phone interface.
    - In SMS, any swipe can be configured to dismiss, reply to the SMS, view previous and view next SMS
    - Portuguese translation
    - German translation

V 2.2.0

- Added Rotate function to Picture Editor
    - Launch the Contact Manager directly from your app drawer
    - New option to force UCS to ignore answer/reject button presses, and only react to long presses (press and hold the button, avoids accidental pickup/hangup)
    - Licensed Users: Added capability to set different default themes, as well as independent hiding of callscreen elements, for known and unknown callers
    - Free Users: Can selectively hide callscreen elements for unknown callers only

V 1.4.0

- You can hide parts of the callscreen, like buttons and backgrounds.
    - You can set different default HD default pictures for Unknown contacts.
    - (Licensed) You can apply different themes per-contact. With a transparent theme and swipe gestures, you can achieve true fullscreen for selected contacts.
    - Fixed issue where UCS would sometimes not show on calls
    - Rearranged UCS preferences into sub-menus.
    - Added a "Tips and Tricks" section to preferences.

V 1.2.4

- fixed the issue where some people would get the status bar cover part of the caller name. There should be no fullscreen issues now.
    - When you press back on Contact Manager or Theme Manager, you will now go back to UCS Preferences (would exit UCS before)
    - Remember position on contact list: when you exit a detailed contact view, the list will start from that contact, not from the beginning. (yes, was annoying)
    - Press visual feedback on UCS buttons (change color when pressed)

V 1.2.3
    - Option to show on-screen "set on loudspeaker" button
    - Option to show/hide status bar on lockscreen: people with problems where the status bar shows anyway, and hides part of the caller ID, set this OFF as a workaround!
    - Option to give haptic feedback (vibrate) on UCS key presses
    - FIX: Hopefully motorola people will stop having FCs when saving pictures
    - Optimized memory footprint
    - Removed unnecessary "save" option after saving an image on the editor

V 1.2.0
    - Added theming capability, and a Theme Manager, for Licensed users only! Search for "UCS Suave theme" in google play to see it in action, and I will be doing a lot more themes in the near future.
    - Changed answer/call buttons for a more polished look.
    - Fixed issues with rare random crashes while viewing detailed contact info.

V 1.1.0:
    - Removed restriction on editing pictures only on portrait, it now serves as simple rotate feature: turn the phone to landscape when editing pictures, and on saving, UCS will rotate the visible area to portrait. So UCS still shows exactly what you cropped and are seeing, plus it rotated the original image.
    - Fixed race condition that lead to a very "rare" FC (thanks to whoever reported the crash to google play)
    - Changed application icon

V 1.0.1:
    - Restrict image editing and cropping to portrait mode to avoid FC until I rework it

V 1.0.0:
    - Initial release
    Theming guide

This is a tutorial on how to build themes for UCS. You will need the Android SDK and Eclipse installed and setup.

I provide an Eclipse project which you can use as base and example to give you a quick startup. Note that there are other ways to do this without eclipse, but I won't get into that. But it is not enough to open the apk and just drop images into there (unless you decompile it, recompile it, and sign it). Well, at least not enough to use the full power of the theming engine: you won't be able to change text size, element position, and other stuff without recompiling.

Take the attached eclipse project and import it. (please don't ask how to do this, there are numerous tutorials on how to setup eclipse/android SDK, and that is not the purpose of this post/thread).

Template Eclipse Project: View attachment UCS_Template_Theme.1.0.0.tar.gz

Alternatively, here is the compiled apk from the project above: View attachment UCS_Template_Theme.1.0.0.apk

The apk is useful if you just want to change some images, and also if you use some of the toolkits around here in xda to decompile/compile apks. In fact, you don't actually need Eclipse to completely change the template: use something like ApkManager, and just decompile the apk.

The theming does not involve java programming, that's why it works so nice with a decompiler: no smali editing. All you need for theming is replacing drawables, and editing xml files.

When starting, take a look at the files in:

res/drawables/
    res/values/

The xml files in the drawables folder point to the actual images in /res/drawable-hdpi, and those are what you want to change
    The xml files in res/values control everything from text color to element placing. Take special attention to integers.xml, I inserted comments on it to make clearer what every key does.

Play around with this, run it with the "run as android application" command with your phone connected to your PC if you're using Eclipse. Getting the offsets just the way you wanto to can be tricky.
    When you're done, just export as signed application and share it here if you feel like it!

Cheers
    500.000 Thanks

Hey guys,

UCS turned 1 year old on last March 31st. What started as my mini-side-project for one of my ROMs, quickly evolved into something much much bigger. Those first couple of months were hectic. Just to give you a notion: 2 monts later, by the end of May, UCS had reached version 5.0.0, and 33 updates. Comparing the feature list on version 1.0.0 with what we have now, and specially the internals of UCS, is mind blowing.

Today UCS has reached 500.000 downloads. Believe me when I say that not on my wildest dreams had I evert thought of reaching a number like this. I want to thank each and everyone on this thread, for all the input, ideas, and just plain selfless help so many of you provide.

I don't consider UCS my own anymore, there's too much of you in it for that. And I thank you for that. For making UCS much more than I could ever hope to on my own.

Cheers, and may we all be here for the 1.000.000 mark!
    Why the dafault phone will always show

Ok, it seems there's a lot of discussions about the default phone interface showing up before UCS, and some misleading information floating around. I will try to explain in detail why it is so, and why it will always be so. This will be a long explanation, with some technical information that most will not fully understand, but at least you'll have a source point to investigate from if you so wish.

1. Android is limited regarding "outside" app developers. No matter what google tells you, or how much hype is generated about it, the truth is that app developers are limited in some circumstances, comparing to full rom developers. As I am both, trust me on this.

2. The telephony interface (the part of Android that actually handles the calls) is not exposed in the android SDK. This means that following "proper" development guidelines, something like UCS would not even exist. There are no available classes/functions to pick up, hangup, mute calls, or any other operations regarding call handling.

3. Using some neat tricks, prior to Gingerbread, you could pretty much go around most of these limitations. As of Android V2.3, a further check was introduced: even if you manage to call the correct interfaces, Android checks if the caller is a system app, and if not, ignores it. This is why a lot of apps stopped working as of Gingerbread.

4. With the current set of limitations, I was able to build UCS as it is now, working from Android V2.1 to V4.0.3. Yes, It could do a lot more if I restricted it to Froyo.

So this is why the current feature set of UCS is somewhat limited when comparing with the default phone interface on your phone. This doesn't mean that in the future I won't find a magical workaround, but from where I'm standing now, it's not looking bright. But bottom line: It is currently impossible to fully replace the default phone interface, unless building the rom from scratch, to a specific device.
    Note that the limitations to what app developers can do with the telephony interface has been a topic of complaint and frustration with google for years now. Given that they recently made it even worst with post Froyo, it's not looking as they will change it for better. In this particular area, iOS is better. I hate to admit it, but... suck it up.

So, trust me when I say we need the default interface to perform some functions. The following point, is why UCS only comes after the default. For this, you need some Android development notions. In lay terms, when something happens, the core system sends a broadcast to all apps interested that "something" has happened. This is the only way any external app has to know that a call i coming. The problem is that it is the default interface that sends that message, and it is capable of starting much faster than other apps.

So when UCS get's the message that a call is coming, the default interface is already showing up. Even if UCS is able to appear faster than the default, it would be pushed back when the default appears, and then bring itself back up front again. So, there's no way to hide the default interface. The only time that you won't see the default interface will be when the phone is locked. In that case the overhead of the lockscreen can make UCS fast enough to finish the boot process before anything shows.

Another thing: root access would give me some leeway to work with, but would not remove the fundamental limitations of UCS. I could try some more stuff, but it would have to be on a per-ROM basis, which pretty much invalidates even trying to do it in UCS. UCS is having about 5000 installations a day. If I screw up a condition that happens rarely, lets say for 1% of the users, I have 50 pissed of guys every day.

Up to know this is the default UCS behavior. UCS taking 5 seconds to show up is not normal, and indicates some sort of problem. In my setup, I never see the default interface, it only takes less than a second to go away, and unless I'm actually looking at the phone with it unlocked, it's gone by the time I pick up the phone.

This extreme delay could be caused by something else, I'll follow this up in further posts, and leave this one for reference for further questions about this topic.

Cheers