[Q] Is the htc one a world phone?

Search This thread

aqualadb03

Mar 18, 2011
Wilson NC
Idk if I'm using the term right, but I'm with t mobile and I know that they will offer the htc one. But that's rumored to be towards the end of march. But appearntly Europe will be getting it the first of march. So my question is: will all carriers be selling the same EXACT phone? Meaning can I get a euro version when it comes out and use it on t mobile, and still get 2g,3G,and 4g (hspa+,LTE) ? I'm very anxious to get a new phone. I'm down to the htc one and the xperia z.

shree.cse

Apr 30, 2010
Bangalore
Yeah it's a world phone, it won't be in the market before 15th march. As clove.co.uk states that. IMO Better to get from your carrier if you don't want to face any issues with network. But if you want fast updates, it's good to purchase from uk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

danw_oz

Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
HTC Desire
Sony Xperia Z5
Yes for 2g and 3g, not really for LTE in selected countries... And then I am certain that the LTE band will be tied down to that network provider. I will be amazed if this is not the case because HTC always does this, with exception of the HTC J-Butterfly (only in Japan), the reason behind this is that Japan law requires the phones to have world network support. The Sony XZ defninately covers world support on 2g,3g & 4g

Last edited:

jkforce

Dec 28, 2011
We are in the same boat!

Idk if I'm using the term right, but I'm with t mobile and I know that they will offer the htc one. But that's rumored to be towards the end of march. But appearntly Europe will be getting it the first of march. So my question is: will all carriers be selling the same EXACT phone? Meaning can I get a euro version when it comes out and use it on t mobile, and still get 2g,3G,and 4g (hspa+,LTE) ? I'm very anxious to get a new phone. I'm down to the htc one and the xperia z.

We are in the same boat. I am with Tmobile and have Galaxy S3, but as soon as I saw the leaked image of HTC One, I was instantly fell in love with it and I am surely glad they kept the design. It is the kind of design and material I wanted for a long time. Anyway, cut to the point, I pre-ordered from Clove.co.uk and expansys-usa.com. Whichever can ship it first will have my money. The reason I pre-order instead of waiting is it looks like it will be cheaper this way since I am buying off-contract. Tmobile's phone usually have much higher price than other carriers like ATT. Of course you can buy att one and unlock it, but it is illegal in USA now so that complicates things. Only thing I am worrying about is the compatibility with Tmobile's upcoming LTE network. Since I am living in Houston, TX, it is only logical to think Tmobile's next LTE market will be somewhere in TX if not Houston. But, I saw their LTE band is not the one supported by HTC One. (I saw this in one of forum here. Don't have the link) Tmobile maybe make LTE version of this phone like galaxy note 2, but then that will now complicates the battery life. So I am not sure if I want to have LTE version of HTC One when the battery is not user replaceable. Besides I am more than content with current Tmobile's data speed as HSPA+ in houston area. So my point is if you are sure you will get this phone, pre-order seems the fastest one so far. I picked silver one BTW.

:No-Frost:

Sep 4, 2009
Santiago
twitter.com
It might sound lazy but I'm actually really confused about the bands for the different networks in my country. I want to get an HTC One but I'm not sure if I will have 3g on my company "VTR", this company is from Chile in South America and I would be really thankful if anyone can give me a hand on this:

The website of the company is: http://www.vtr.com

Please, give me a hand on this as I'm really confused and I have been searching a lot to get more information. This is what I've found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands

VTR is at the number IV AWS 1700

Also I found this:

http://www.telecompaper.com/news/vtr-nextel-win-3g-licences-in-chile--690358

VTR, Nextel win 3G licences in Chile

Chile's telecommunications regulator Subtel has granted mobile operators VTR and Nextel spectrum for provision of 3G services. The tender covered three blocks of 30 MHz in the 1700/2100 MHz frequency band. Nextel won two out of three blocks of spectrum up in the 1700/2100MHz frequency bands, while VTR won the remaining block. Nextel's total offer for spectrum blocks B and C reached USD 14.7 million, while VTR won block A with an offer of USD 3.02 million. The new licences aim to boost competition on the Chilean mobile telephony market, currently divided among Entel PCS, Movistar and Claro. The Chilean telecoms market currently reaches 15 million customers. According to Rene Cortazar, minister of transport and communications, the two licence winners have a maximum of one year – that is by the second half of 2010 – to complete their 3G networks deployment across the country.

VTR 3g frecuencies: 1700/2100

I currently have an HTC Desire HD, however, I'm unable to use 3g with my device. Please help me confirm that the ONE will work on this network, else, I will have to change my network :p

A little bit more information can be found here:

http://www.apecdoc.org/site/chile/2009/06/11/vtr-sets-up-vtr-movil-to-bid-for-3g-licence-chile/

Thank you very much for all your help :)

danw_oz

Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
HTC Desire
Sony Xperia Z5
The phone doesn't have support for the 1700 band, but will work on the 2100 band offered by your provider. The biggest problem you face is what is the difference between bands for VTS, typically network providers will offer a faster network and or more coverage on one of their bands. If in Chile this is the 2100 band you are away laughing.

Just had a look at the specs of your HTC Desire HD and the news is bad.The new HTC one will the same as your previous phone on that network.

I don't understand what you are saying about your phone not on 3G, the 2100Mhz network is 3G, however it would seem that your provider is offering it's premium higher speed services on 1700Mhz.

I suggest you go to www.gsmarena.com then search for brands of phones that have 1700Mhz radios. So got to say HTC, and under bands select 1700 then filter, you will find only 13.

After checking this, scrub the above and only use it as a super rough guide. Because it states the Sony XZ as 1700Mhz, but no Sony website claims this that I can see.

Last edited:
Reactions: :No-Frost:

Sep 4, 2009
Santiago
twitter.com
The phone doesn't have support for the 1700 band, but will work on the 2100 band offered by your provider. The biggest problem you face is what is the difference between bands for VTS, typically network providers will offer a faster network and or more coverage on one of their bands. If in Chile this is the 2100 band you are away laughing.

Just had a look at the specs of your HTC Desire HD and the news is bad.The new HTC one will the same as your previous phone on that network.

I don't understand what you are saying about your phone not on 3G, the 2100Mhz network is 3G, however it would seem that your provider is offering it's premium higher speed services on 1700Mhz.

I suggest you go to www.gsmarena.com then search for brands of phones that have 1700Mhz radios. So got to say HTC, and under bands select 1700 then filter, you will find only 13.

After checking this, scrub the above and only use it as a super rough guide. Because it states the Sony XZ as 1700Mhz, but no Sony website claims this that I can see.

Thanks a lot, I hope the phone gets 3g, however, I know that Entel (another company in my country) will offer the HTC One on the third or fourth trimester of this year and it might allow LTE connection. If that's the situation, I might consider changing my mobile provider :)

I really appreciate your answer.

Thank you :)

YoungAceAtlanta

Feb 8, 2009
New York, NY
instagram.com
its not worth buying the international version anymore if the US carrier versions are the same as the international one..

LTE is moving forward and HSPA+ will stop development in a few years once T-Mobile switch to LTE

im sure the T-Mobile version will be the same as the rest with LTE ready

danw_oz

Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
HTC Desire
Sony Xperia Z5
its not worth buying the international version anymore if the US carrier versions are the same as the international one..

LTE is moving forward and HSPA+ will stop development in a few years once T-Mobile switch to LTE

im sure the T-Mobile version will be the same as the rest with LTE ready

Not true, there is three LTE variants in the US depending on the band eg provider The best US is AT&T which covers all of US. It all comes down to what bands your country decides to go with on LTE.

So it is a toss up between AT&T or UK model depending on your LTE band requirements.

HSPA/WCDMA:

Europe/Asia: 850/900/1900/2100 MHz

GSM/GPRS/EDGE:

850/900/1800/1900 MHz

LTE:

EU: 800/1800/2600 MHz
US (AT&T): 700/850/AWS/1900 MHz
US (TMO): 700/AWS MHz
US (Sprint): 1900 MHz
Asia: 1800/2600 Mhz

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Thanks a lot, I hope the phone gets 3g, however, I know that Entel (another company in my country) will offer the HTC One on the third or fourth trimester of this year and it might allow LTE connection. If that's the situation, I might consider changing my mobile provider :)

I really appreciate your answer.

Thank you :)

No worries, it's my pleasure.

As I said before your current HTC phone should be 3G on your network provider because 2100mhz is 3G.

ANd most unfortunate for you in South America is that they use such a mix of LTE bands covering most of the LTE spectrum, in this case you are better off with the Sony Xperia Z, which covers almost all of the used LTE bands.

I have used Claro in South America which has great coverage, but bad customer service, but I guess you always get that with the big players.

Last edited:

mikemol

Jan 8, 2009
Hi,
I'm on a Canadian provider that has a hard time with getting good phones. I'm on Wind mobile and actually those who are on Mobilicity are in the same boat. When HTC One X came out it wasn't available for Wind or Mobilicity, when HTC One X+ came out it wasn't available either. Only the cheaper versions of One S would work on it, other ones didn't support the bands. I can see that for Canada none of these providers are listed to carry HTC One. Does it support the bands that Wind and Mobilicity operate at? Will it work on it? They operate in AWS

danw_oz

Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
HTC Desire
Sony Xperia Z5
i need help with my one.. it doesnt seem to want to turn on after it gets a full charge

Why hijack this thread, what does your phone turning on or not have anything to do with the topic

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

Hi,
I'm on a Canadian provider that has a hard time with getting good phones. I'm on Wind mobile and actually those who are on Mobilicity are in the same boat. When HTC One X came out it wasn't available for Wind or Mobilicity, when HTC One X+ came out it wasn't available either. Only the cheaper versions of One S would work on it, other ones didn't support the bands. I can see that for Canada none of these providers are listed to carry HTC One. Does it support the bands that Wind and Mobilicity operate at? Will it work on it? They operate in AWS

Why don't you go back one page and read, I have posted all the bands supported by the phone. AT&T will be your best option for coverage

Last edited:

emepror

Feb 23, 2013
I've got a bit of a similar question about where this phone will work on a specific network. If I buy an unlocked CDMA version of the HTC one, can I just drop a Verizon sim card into it and use the phone on verizon's network?

mattman83

Jan 19, 2011
Brisbane
I've got a bit of a similar question about where this phone will work on a specific network. If I buy an unlocked CDMA version of the HTC one, can I just drop a Verizon sim card into it and use the phone on verizon's network?

There is no CDMA version, and cdma devices do not use sim cards.

M.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Reactions: emepror

emepror

Feb 23, 2013
only reason i bring that up because the ONE will be on sprint's network which is CDMA, along with the fact that i thought verizon 4g phones used sim cards ( my pantech marauder loner phone had one). thanks for the answer

mbh017

Dec 10, 2010
Hello :)

Do you know if the European version of the HTC One will be compatible with the American 3G network (ie : AT&T)...

Because last summer I was in USA and with my old HTC (not compatible with AT&T 3G), I was only able to use 2G networks for internet and it was very very bad... :(

So I'm asking ! :)

Many thanks in advance for the answer !!! :good:

Sep 4, 2009
Santiago
twitter.com

Do you know if the European version of the HTC One will be compatible with the American 3G network (ie : AT&T)...

Because last summer I was in USA and with my old HTC (not compatible with AT&T 3G), I was only able to use 2G networks for internet and it was very very bad... :(

Well, as far as I know, the HTC One will be just one device with no difference with the ones sold in America, Europe, Asia, etc...

Reactions: mbh017

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

There is no CDMA version, and cdma devices do not use sim cards.

M.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Well, as far as I know, the HTC One will be just one device with no difference with the ones sold in America, Europe, Asia, etc...