[Q] Options with my new AT&T i337 and MF3

Search This thread

kingamateur

Jan 10, 2009
Fort Bragg, NC
Long time XDA reader here and I am in a bit of a pickle here and I haven't been able to come across a difinitive answer. I apologize ahead of time if this question was answered elsewhere, but know that I have just become more confused as I continue to dig. I have some very basic experience with Odin, CWM, TWRP, Safestrap, from past modding/ROM loading. Please be gentle.

I've just recently finished my contract with Verizon, where I was running a Galaxy S3. I intended to hop over to Straight Talk but determined my S3 could only receive Edge data. So, off to sell my phone and buy something new. Swappa fulfilled both purposes easily and fast (shameless plug). I purchased an i337 and am running her on Straight Talk. So far, I am loving every second of the service and, most importantly, the phone.

My new i337 came loaded with the stock AT&T loadset, running 4.2.2, and the MF3 build. I immediately made my way to Cyanogenmod's (CM) site to take advantage of the new Installer. Much to my dismay, the i337 isn't compatible with the new installer. So, off to research and find out how to manually install CM. http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_jflteatt I hit a wall with the Loki installer portion. I've done a lot of digging and find that AT&T has apparently locked us in a cage and has limited our recovery options.

I have successfully rooted and installed safestrap. I have used script manager to disable the updates that attempted to download while on wi-fi. For now, I am holding tight on 4.2.2 and MF3. If I understand correctly, I can only use safestrap and not TWRP or CWM. I have read that I can only run TouchWiz ROMs. I am also understanding that I will have to maintain all of the AT&T bloatware ROM on the stock partition (taking up storage space) and place any new TouchWiz-only ROM on a new partition. I am not dead set on Cyanogenmod, just looking to get away from TouchWiz and not have to partition to take up more storage space. I just want one ROM on my phone.

Can anyone please shed some light on any of the following:

1. Should I stay at MF3 or accept the OTA updates?
2.a. What is my best choice for ever running Cyanogenmod?
2.b. If not Cyanogen, what is the next best non-TouchWiz possibility?

Thanks in advance folks!

G

GuestX0019

I would upgrade to NB1 or NC1. More roms like 4.4's

You won't ever "probably" run CM or aosp roms.

No custom recoveries/kernels, only SafeStrap

There is a GPE rom here that is TW based so you can try it. Not perfect but gets you away from some TW. I forget name. Someone may have link.

If not already done, check out Genenal and Q&A for SafeStrap threads and All things MK2 etc. Also an MF3 upgrade thread. I am on MDL so don't need SafeStrap, hence don't have all the links handy.

upndwn4par

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 22, 2012
New Jersey
First off, questions go in Q&A. :)

Best option would be to sell your device and get the T-Mobile version (bootloader is unlocked).

If you plan to keep this one, you may want to consider doing a carrier unlock while you still can.

Otherwise this guy ^^^ is correct.

Edit:
Two more things...
1) If you decide to sell this device (sell not return), it is worth more if you carrier unlock.
2) Pretty sure this device is no longer supported by CM (last update was February), so you are not missing anything.

Last edited:
G

GuestX0019

I would upgrade to NB1 or NC1. More roms like 4.4's

You won't ever "probably" run CM or aosp roms.

No custom recoveries/kernels, only SafeStrap

There is a GPE rom here that is TW based so you can try it. Not perfect but gets you away from some TW. I forget name. Someone may have link.

If not already done, check out Genenal and Q&A for SafeStrap threads and All things MK2 etc. Also an MF3 upgrade thread. I am on MDL so don't need SafeStrap, hence don't have all the links handy.

If you are still here :confused: the GE rom is in General. Give Thanks to the OP jmsq--:good:

kingamateur

Jan 10, 2009
Fort Bragg, NC
If you are still here :confused: the GE rom is in General. Give Thanks to the OP jmsq--:good:

I decided to take the plunge and accept my fate with this I337. I followed the great guide at the "[INDEX] All things AT&T MK2, NB1, and NC1 (including ROMs)" thread in the General Forum. I am now on NC1 and enjoying the Hyperdrive ROM. Took a little trial and error to get everything up and running (wi-fi in particular), but I'm happy to have dropped the AT&T baggage.

Thank you for the clear cut truth about my poor decision to trust that an AT&T S4 was going to be smooth sailing. If the great minds ever come up with a way to break the bootloader obstacle, I'll be ready to try something new. For now, I'm satisfied with what I have and I'll be trying out some of the other NC1 ROMS around here. I'll give the GE a go next!

Thanks again for the help! :)

G

GuestX0019

I decided to take the plunge and accept my fate with this I337. I followed the great guide at the "[INDEX] All things AT&T MK2, NB1, and NC1 (including ROMs)" thread in the General Forum. I am now on NC1 and enjoying the Hyperdrive ROM. Took a little trial and error to get everything up and running (wi-fi in particular), but I'm happy to have dropped the AT&T baggage.

Thank you for the clear cut truth about my poor decision to trust that an AT&T S4 was going to be smooth sailing. If the great minds ever come up with a way to break the bootloader obstacle, I'll be ready to try something new. For now, I'm satisfied with what I have and I'll be trying out some of the other NC1 ROMS around here. I'll give the GE a go next!

Thanks again for the help! :)

Fantastic, glad you are up and running. The GE has some "not working" items. But, OP page spells that out. Personal choice, but I like reading last 20 pages of any thread I am going to be using, plus all of OP page.

Good Luck--:good: