Cases

Search This thread

fatxdad

Jan 8, 2012
Leipzig
There is nearly only 3 types of cases out at the market.

First the hard plastic cases that are coming in 2 parts. There are the glossy ones and the trubberized ones in a wide variety of colors and styles at ebay or Amazon. The quality is OK but not perfect. What I like is the good protection in combination with the acceptable increase of size. The problem is that you nearly can't remove the front part of the case without breaking the very small bars fixing the case to the device. I like the rubberized ones most. They are looking more stable to me than the glossy ones. With the case it's more difficult to slide out the QWERTY keyboard. But it's acceptable. What I like very much is the protection of the on/off button and then loudness buttons. Because without the case I öfter press these keys withooany will.

Then there are the leather cases. There are horizontal and vertical ones. I tried to use the ones for the Samsung Galaxy S2 also, they fit. But of course not together with the hard plastic case together. For that I will try cases made for the HTC Sensation XL. I will share my experiences as soon as I get the cases.

The third category are cases that are blocking the hardware keyboard. That unacceptable for me. I tried rubber cases for the Samsung Galaxy S2 and it worked for one but the fitting is not not really good. The thickness of the device is quite different from most other smartphones.

Hope I could help a little bit and will share my upcoming experiences.

Last edited:
Reactions: rodrigoprimo

vil33

Nov 24, 2011
Thanks for checking out the cases, did they the leather/rubber ones block the camera at the back or did it have the correct position for the opening?

fatxdad

Jan 8, 2012
Leipzig
The leather ones I tried are for pulling out the device before use.

The rubber one I tried had a big camera hole on the back. But I forgot to check the other connector holes but if I remember correctly some cutting work has to be done. But this is possible with the right tools. Sharp knives and hole cutters for leather/paper.
Best thing is to try the case at a shop. Surely some fits better than others. But I think the Galaxy S2 category is the best you can get. The Galaxy Note ones could be also work, because it's taller but thinner.

The first category cases are made for the device and aren't blocking anything.

psyang

Oct 4, 2009
I wonder if anyone has tried the one-piece Speck cases yet (can't post links yet, but a Google search for "speck captivate glide" should bring up the page on Speck's site). They look good, but I'm curious if they restrict the sliding mechanism or block the keyboard at all.

Lookin4Trouble

Jan 26, 2012
(edited for brevity)

Just wanted to share my review, got a hard rubberized case on Amazon from ezbuy123. It's a 2-piece, snap-on. In the past, I've used Otterbox on EVERYTHING, but since they dont have an i927 case out yet, I figured I'd take a chance. The build quality is probably a 3.5/5 - it's hard, it's plastic, it's rubberized, that all is true. The edges of the case around the keyboard area are already starting to get chewed up, and the rubberizing doesnt have any real texture to speak of, I feel like I'm going to drop it when I use it. On the plus side, it isnt a weird neon color, and it doesnt add much bulk or weight to the phone.... All in all, I'd be pressed to give it 4/5 overall, it will definitely be replaced with an Otterbox if they ever decide to make a case for the i927.

doode2011

Dec 7, 2011
Speck Sureslider Case

So I just received the Sureslider case today. I bought it for 24 dollars (from versiomobile before they charged 35 :D).

Here's my review on it:

It's a one piece piece that has a hard plastic back with polycarbonate. On the front, it's made up of TPE (thermoplastic elastomer). The TPE gives the case a lip from the screen of the phone. It still slides when you put it on its face but not by much. Only the top part actually clips onto the phone. The back plate just kinda sticks to the phone.. somewhat. There's basically no restriction when you're sliding it, it feels like it's not even there. Regarding the top keys of the qwerty keyboard, it might've moved a nanometer, but not to significant to affect your typing.

Honestly, I don't think the price of $35 is worth it. I'd say it'd be more fair around 13 dollars. It also comes with a one-year warranty, so maybe that's where the high price came from?

The Sureslider case is technically a "one-piece" but when I got it, somehow the connection between the bottom and top part became loose and the top part came out. Needless to say, i thought it was going to be an easy fix. It wasn't :(. You can't just "slide" it into one piece since there's a hook and a little clip at the bottom to provide stability. After I managed to get the piece together, I went through the packaging, and there was this small instruction slip. It said "If the case becomes separated by mistake, align the two pieces and fit back together."

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Reactions: rodrigoprimo

aj45690

Apr 9, 2010
Atlanta
I got the rubberized texture case from ebay (shop4phree*). 5 bucks included shipping. Just to get something on the phone quick before I scractched it. I have to say for being so cheap it has help up surprisingly well. I was going to go for a higher end case at a later time but it's now going on 2 months and I haven't felt the need to switch. The only drawbacks I can see is it interferes with the smoothness of the slide out keyboard (requires a little more finger power to push it up) and the extra bulk it adds makes your top row of keys a little tight when typing(especially with big fingers).Ive dropped my phone a couple of times and it has held intact.

Im a cheap bastard so my $5 case works great for me.

Lookin4Trouble

Jan 26, 2012
Amzer cases

Well i managed to snap the feelers on my first case (the black rubberized one), so I've moved on to an Amzer case from Amazon. It's a 2-piece, snap-together advertised as "one piece". The build quality is probably a 3/5 - it's hard, it's plastic, it's rubberized on the back half, but the front half is clear hard-poly that looks awful (definitely not at all like what the pic on Amazon makes it look). It doesnt add much bulk or weight to the phone, but it is slightly bulkier than the previous case I reviewed. Hopefully Otterbox will come up with a case for the i927 soon, I'm quickly tiring of these cases...

L4T

clpo13

Jan 19, 2012
Body Glove Captivate Glide

I just received the Body Glove two-piece case for the Glide. It's $30 from AT&T, but I got it from All4Cellular for less (it's also on Amazon for even cheaper, which is a bit annoying as it was out of stock when I last looked there). It's pricey, but highly reviewed on AT&T's site.

It looks high-quality (none of that gummy rubber sort of stuff) and fits snugly. A bit too snugly, actually, as it was fairly difficult to get on and (according to other owners) nigh impossible to get off. On the plus side, that means it's not going to just pop off in your pocket.

The case fully covers the back of the phone (except for holes for the camera, flash, microphone, speaker, and buttons), and on the front, it covers the bezel. It doesn't interfere with the sliding at all, though the front cover does stick out enough to potentially cause problems with the top row of physical keyboard keys. That said, the keyboard side of the front cover has a little cutout at the bottom that may alleviate that problem a bit. I haven't noticed any major difficulties typing so far.

As with any two-piece case, there's a gap between the pieces where the phone slides, so it's not going to protect from anything getting between the phone halves. Also, it only comes in one color--a metallic blue sort of look--so if that's not your thing, you're out of luck.

I'd give it four out of five stars, knocking off a star for the difficulty in getting it off, though I'd recommend it for the build quality.

Reactions: vil33

vil33

Nov 24, 2011
Does anyone know of a otterbox case from another phone that would fit this one for protection? (commuter or defender)

rafeee2

Oct 19, 2007
There's a Case Mate Barely There case now available for the Glide, you can find it on Amazon. Did anyone try it?

ThunderOKC

Jun 18, 2011
Mom is with ATT so she picked the Captivate Glide cuz I have Epic. LoL Basically, she also want a slide-out keyboard. :)

I ordered this for her on eBay.

http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=64678

One problem, the sellers posted different quality. Some say hard plastic and some say rubberized. I went with a seller that said rubberized with good reviews. $7 with free shipping. I'm waiting on that to arrive and see how it feels

sbiricuda

Feb 11, 2012
Rome
Just a question, since I'm not a native english speaker:

what does 'rubberized' mean? Does the term refer to a hard case with soft grip or to a flexible silicone-like case that you can even bend and it keeps the shape?

radrcanada

Mar 7, 2007
I just received the Body Glove two-piece case for the Glide. It's $30 from AT&T, but I got it from All4Cellular for less (it's also on Amazon for even cheaper, which is a bit annoying as it was out of stock when I last looked there). It's pricey, but highly reviewed on AT&T's site.

It looks high-quality (none of that gummy rubber sort of stuff) and fits snugly. A bit too snugly, actually, as it was fairly difficult to get on and (according to other owners) nigh impossible to get off. On the plus side, that means it's not going to just pop off in your pocket.

The case fully covers the back of the phone (except for holes for the camera, flash, microphone, speaker, and buttons), and on the front, it covers the bezel. It doesn't interfere with the sliding at all, though the front cover does stick out enough to potentially cause problems with the top row of physical keyboard keys. That said, the keyboard side of the front cover has a little cutout at the bottom that may alleviate that problem a bit. I haven't noticed any major difficulties typing so far.

As with any two-piece case, there's a gap between the pieces where the phone slides, so it's not going to protect from anything getting between the phone halves. Also, it only comes in one color--a metallic blue sort of look--so if that's not your thing, you're out of luck.

I'd give it four out of five stars, knocking off a star for the difficulty in getting it off, though I'd recommend it for the build quality.

I got the same one from AT&T.
I agree with your comments. This case is much better quality than the no-name clear ones I've seen elsewhere. It is a pain to install / remove, but I like it tight, lol. I've had cases for other phones where it comes off easy, and they become a pain in the @ss.

They are the most expensive I've seen, but worth the price if it saves your phone from just one concrete ground fall.

-Am

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There is nearly only 3 types of cases out at the market.

First the hard plastic cases that are coming in 2 parts. There are the glossy ones and the trubberized ones in a wide variety of colors and styles at ebay or Amazon. The quality is OK but not perfect. What I like is the good protection in combination with the acceptable increase of size. The problem is that you nearly can't remove the front part of the case without breaking the very small bars fixing the case to the device. I like the rubberized ones most. They are looking more stable to me than the glossy ones. With the case it's more difficult to slide out the QWERTY keyboard. But it's acceptable. What I like very much is the protection of the on/off button and then loudness buttons. Because without the case I öfter press these keys withooany will.

Then there are the leather cases. There are horizontal and vertical ones. I tried to use the ones for the Samsung Galaxy S2 also, they fit. But of course not together with the hard plastic case together. For that I will try cases made for the HTC Sensation XL. I will share my experiences as soon as I get the cases.

The third category are cases that are blocking the hardware keyboard. That unacceptable for me. I tried rubber cases for the Samsung Galaxy S2 and it worked for one but the fitting is not not really good. The thickness of the device is quite different from most other smartphones.

Hope I could help a little bit and will share my upcoming experiences.
    Speck Sureslider Case

So I just received the Sureslider case today. I bought it for 24 dollars (from versiomobile before they charged 35 :D).

Here's my review on it:

It's a one piece piece that has a hard plastic back with polycarbonate. On the front, it's made up of TPE (thermoplastic elastomer). The TPE gives the case a lip from the screen of the phone. It still slides when you put it on its face but not by much. Only the top part actually clips onto the phone. The back plate just kinda sticks to the phone.. somewhat. There's basically no restriction when you're sliding it, it feels like it's not even there. Regarding the top keys of the qwerty keyboard, it might've moved a nanometer, but not to significant to affect your typing.

Honestly, I don't think the price of $35 is worth it. I'd say it'd be more fair around 13 dollars. It also comes with a one-year warranty, so maybe that's where the high price came from?

The Sureslider case is technically a "one-piece" but when I got it, somehow the connection between the bottom and top part became loose and the top part came out. Needless to say, i thought it was going to be an easy fix. It wasn't :(. You can't just "slide" it into one piece since there's a hook and a little clip at the bottom to provide stability. After I managed to get the piece together, I went through the packaging, and there was this small instruction slip. It said "If the case becomes separated by mistake, align the two pieces and fit back together."

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    Body Glove Captivate Glide

Just thought I would update this as I ended up getting a pull tab type leather case and it turned up today.

I could not find one for a glide, so ended up ordering one for HTC Sensation as the dimensions are quite similar. It fits like a glove, looks like it was made for a glide :)

On the downside, now I have removed the hard snap on case I have noticed it has scratched the phone around the edge of the display :(
    Gave up on it

I finally caved while I was on my way overseas and picked up a Body Glove case. Thankfully I didn't have to go to the AT&T store, I stopped at a Wal-Mart and lo and behold, they had a Body Glove for the i927 for $18.97.
    BONUS it's not that awful blue color, it's all blacked out :)

Working great so far!

L4T