[Guide] How to [unlock/flash recovery/rom] on [Evo 4g 2.3.5] [Hboot 2.18.001]

Search This thread

Rootlicious

Feb 16, 2012
THIS WILL BE USING THE CM 7.1 ROM. IT WORKS WITH OTHER ROMS TOO. JUST FOLLOW SAME PROCEDURE WITH YOUR ROM.

INTRODUCTION AND WARNINGS:

If you have an Evo 4g updated to android 2.3.5 with hboot 2.18.0001 and your wifi always randomly disconnects this guide is for you! The reason the server disconnects is because your router could be incompatible with your HTC phone. If it's just because of some wifi problems and some easy fixes could be made, I would go with that. But for those who have the same problem, not only will you get a cool Cyanogenmod 7.1 look... you'll be able to play PL with wifi.

I'll try to make it as easy to understand as possible... as I'm not good with this stuff either and it took time to understand the guides. Actually I used several guides but I'll kind of combine them.

This guide is for flashing Cyanogenmod 7.1 and what to do before. I am not responsible if there are any problems with your device. Use this guide at your own risk, although there's 99.99999% chance everything will go right if you follow the guide.

PART ONE:

First you'll want to install this file, you need winrar. Just unzip onto desktop so it's easier. You won't actually be using the tool but the root folder. Read the xda first post first though... http://xdaforums.com/show...75&postcount=1

Here's link to download if you've read the post:

http://goo-inside.me/apps/frigid/

Then you'll want to go to www.htcdev.com.

You'll have to register there and use a real email address.

After you register login and click unlock boot loader. Where there's a scroll-down, choose "all other supported models"

Then click get started, the site will guide you through the next steps. Remember, this could void your warranty, I'm pretty sure there is a way to undo this all but remember do this at your own risk.

Tips: If you can't navigate to the right place remember to type "cd [insert name of root folder]"

To get the address, just go to root folder and click copy address at the top. (Right click on where it shows what folder you're in)

After you have successfully unlocked your boot loader you are ready for part 2.

PART TWO:

Enter fast boot on your phone again.

If you closed your command prompt, (which is fine) open it again.

Download this file and save it:
http://files.androidspin.com/downlo...ECOVERY/&file=recovery-RA-supersonic-v2.3.img

The file should appear in downloads.

Move the file into your folder titled root.

If the file is not named recovery rename it to that.

In your command prompt go the the root folder address like you did in part one.

Once you've successfully entered the "root" folder, type this in and hit enter:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

(Remember your phone should be connected to your computer with usb debugging on, with disk drive on, and it should be in fast boot)

Once the prompt finishes the command, go back to main boot loader screen. Then use the volume keys to go down to select recovery.

Press the power button to select recovery.

Once the recovery boots on your phone, select use the volume keys to select/highlight USB MS then press the power button.

Take this zip (don't unzip it) and place it into your sd card (just the root, not in any folders).

Zip: http://download.cyanogenmod.com/get/...nic-signed.zip

Press the power button to exit USB MS.

Now go back to main screen of recovery.

Highlight/select the choice flash zip from sd card and press the power button.

Select/highlight the zip you put in your sd card and press the power button to flash.

Press the power button again to confirm.

Once it's done flashing reboot your phone.

If your phone goes into boot loop (keeps rebooting at cyanogen logo thing) then go to your recovery again and select wipe and select wipe all data/factory reset.

OPTIONAL PART 2.5:

If you're looking for Google apps you might want to flash this too, same thing with the Cyanogen ROM, flash it same way.

http://cmw.22aaf3.com/gapps/gapps-gb...828-signed.zip

Last edited:
Reactions: AUSTIN3:16

jonhern

Jul 2, 2009
Cranston, RI
so does using that htc super tool folder instead of android sdx not wipe everything while unlocking? Or does it still do a factory reset when you unlock?

BigPimpin

Jan 3, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Trying to figure out what I'm missing here. I have step one all finished. On step two I'm doing the part that says:

"Once you've successfully entered the "root" folder, type this in and hit enter:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"

I have the USB Debugging on and Disk Drive on, and the phone in Fast Boot. When I type the "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" and hit enter it says Waiting for device. Should it say waiting in the command prompt area? Even with that saying waiting, if I use volume down and pick recovery, the screen shows the green circle and downloading logo, then I get the red exclamation screen. What's messing things up? I have the instructions followed exactly up to this point.

Notorious

Aug 23, 2011
Sydney
Google Pixel 3 XL
OnePlus 9
Trying to figure out what I'm missing here. I have step one all finished. On step two I'm doing the part that says:

"Once you've successfully entered the "root" folder, type this in and hit enter:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"

I have the USB Debugging on and Disk Drive on, and the phone in Fast Boot. When I type the "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" and hit enter it says Waiting for device. Should it say waiting in the command prompt area? Even with that saying waiting, if I use volume down and pick recovery, the screen shows the green circle and downloading logo, then I get the red exclamation screen. What's messing things up? I have the instructions followed exactly up to this point.

have to take it out of disk drive mode i believe and put it in charge only

BigPimpin

Jan 3, 2011
Tucson, AZ
have to take it out of disk drive mode i believe and put it in charge only
Tried doing that and it goes right to the red exclamation screen instead of the green first. The instruction say to have it in disk drive, so not sure what to do.

(Remember your phone should be connected to your computer with usb debugging on, with disk drive on, and it should be in fast boot)"

Notorious

Aug 23, 2011
Sydney
Google Pixel 3 XL
OnePlus 9
Tried doing that and it goes right to the red exclamation screen instead of the green first. The instruction say to have it in disk drive, so not sure what to do.

(Remember your phone should be connected to your computer with usb debugging on, with disk drive on, and it should be in fast boot)"

when i did it to my phone i had it in charge only

BigPimpin

Jan 3, 2011
Tucson, AZ
This is my first time trying to do anything to my phone. What exactly does the recovery step I'm doing do? It is saving all my personal data on the phone? I could care less if the phone gets wiped. I have all my contacts in Gmail and re-installing apps take like 5 minutes, so wondering if I could just skip it?

This rooting thing is getting more and more confusing. I'm pretty good computer wise, but reading on this site to try and root this phone, I find topics which are like 100+pages long, and the topic I find link to other topics and it keeps going on and on, and not sure what to do after a while. This topic has gotten me closer to finally doing it then any other. Hopefully I can get it to work fully.

Rootlicious

Feb 16, 2012
This is my first time trying to do anything to my phone. What exactly does the recovery step I'm doing do? It is saving all my personal data on the phone? I could care less if the phone gets wiped. I have all my contacts in Gmail and re-installing apps take like 5 minutes, so wondering if I could just skip it?

This rooting thing is getting more and more confusing. I'm pretty good computer wise, but reading on this site to try and root this phone, I find topics which are like 100+pages long, and the topic I find link to other topics and it keeps going on and on, and not sure what to do after a while. This topic has gotten me closer to finally doing it then any other. Hopefully I can get it to work fully.

Recovery just puts a base place where you can flash roms and stuff.

And if you get a bootloop on CM7.1 yes you will have to wipe all.

As for the recovery flash problem, try putting it on charge only and usb debugging. Then power off phone or just take out battery and reboot into bootloader. Go into fastboot again and try to flash recovery on again. Then try it.

BigPimpin

Jan 3, 2011
Tucson, AZ
I have it named recovery like it's supposed to be. Still get the green screen then the red exclamation mark.

What should happen when you first go into the fast boot? The reason I ask that is, when it first goes into the fast boot screen it takes a second or so to do it's thing. I see some text going on the screen real quick, and from what I can read of the text I see something about no image and can't read much else, then it is ready to use the volume up and down to make selections. Is that normal, the text part and all about no image? My phone works fine, just can get the steps in this tutorial to work.

Notorious

Aug 23, 2011
Sydney
Google Pixel 3 XL
OnePlus 9
I have it named recovery like it's supposed to be. Still get the green screen then the red exclamation mark.

What should happen when you first go into the fast boot? The reason I ask that is, when it first goes into the fast boot screen it takes a second or so to do it's thing. I see some text going on the screen real quick, and from what I can read of the text I see something about no image and can't read much else, then it is ready to use the volume up and down to make selections. Is that normal, the text part and all about no image? My phone works fine, just can get the steps in this tutorial to work.

When you go to the bootloader it scans for a PC36IMG.zip file. Normally if you were s-off that's how you would flash a recovery. Since your s-on unlocked the only thing that can be flashed in PC36IMG.zip format is a file signed by HTC like a RUU

Sent from my swiper using XDA App

BigPimpin

Jan 3, 2011
Tucson, AZ
I got a chance to see some of the names of the missing files it lists when going into boot load. The PC36IMG.zip is one of them that says no image. So guessing that file isn't even there at all. I searched for a PC36IMG.zip file and put it in there and got more then I have seeme before on that screen. I had a blue progress meter on the right side. When it got done it said something about being too old and unsuccessful.

Also, I tried starting all over, even going into the htcdev site again. When I did that all the step worked, but when it's supposed to get to the screen where it tells you it will wipe your phone, that screen never comes up. Now I'm wondering if I can just start all the way over. Can I go into my phone and of I select factory reset, will it make the phone a totally stock phone again and change anything I might have changed? Not that I'm sure I have even changed anything at all to this point.

BigPimpin

Jan 3, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Removed the batter over and over till I could see the message that comes up very quickly when fast book first starts up. It reads:

Loading...[PC36DIAG.ZIP]
No Image!!!
Loading...[PC36DIAG.NBH]
No Image!!! or Wrong Image!!!
Loading...[PC36IMG.ZIP]
No Image!!!
Loading...[PC36IMG.NBH]

Know where I go from here to correct things?

Notorious

Aug 23, 2011
Sydney
Google Pixel 3 XL
OnePlus 9
Removed the batter over and over till I could see the message that comes up very quickly when fast book first starts up. It reads:

Loading...[PC36DIAG.ZIP]
No Image!!!
Loading...[PC36DIAG.NBH]
Loading...[PC36IMG.ZIP]
No Image!!!
Loading...[PC36IMG.NBH]

Know where I go from here to correct things?

it shouldnt find a PC36IMG.zip file or the other. Only files in that can be flashed in that format is radios hboots splash screen RUUs recoveries. You shouldnt go around just flashing random things in the bootloader you can end up bricking your phone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS WILL BE USING THE CM 7.1 ROM. IT WORKS WITH OTHER ROMS TOO. JUST FOLLOW SAME PROCEDURE WITH YOUR ROM.

INTRODUCTION AND WARNINGS:

If you have an Evo 4g updated to android 2.3.5 with hboot 2.18.0001 and your wifi always randomly disconnects this guide is for you! The reason the server disconnects is because your router could be incompatible with your HTC phone. If it's just because of some wifi problems and some easy fixes could be made, I would go with that. But for those who have the same problem, not only will you get a cool Cyanogenmod 7.1 look... you'll be able to play PL with wifi.

I'll try to make it as easy to understand as possible... as I'm not good with this stuff either and it took time to understand the guides. Actually I used several guides but I'll kind of combine them.

This guide is for flashing Cyanogenmod 7.1 and what to do before. I am not responsible if there are any problems with your device. Use this guide at your own risk, although there's 99.99999% chance everything will go right if you follow the guide.

PART ONE:

First you'll want to install this file, you need winrar. Just unzip onto desktop so it's easier. You won't actually be using the tool but the root folder. Read the xda first post first though... http://xdaforums.com/show...75&postcount=1

Here's link to download if you've read the post:

http://goo-inside.me/apps/frigid/

Then you'll want to go to www.htcdev.com.

You'll have to register there and use a real email address.

After you register login and click unlock boot loader. Where there's a scroll-down, choose "all other supported models"

Then click get started, the site will guide you through the next steps. Remember, this could void your warranty, I'm pretty sure there is a way to undo this all but remember do this at your own risk.

Tips: If you can't navigate to the right place remember to type "cd [insert name of root folder]"

To get the address, just go to root folder and click copy address at the top. (Right click on where it shows what folder you're in)

After you have successfully unlocked your boot loader you are ready for part 2.

PART TWO:

Enter fast boot on your phone again.

If you closed your command prompt, (which is fine) open it again.

Download this file and save it:
    http://files.androidspin.com/downlo...ECOVERY/&file=recovery-RA-supersonic-v2.3.img

The file should appear in downloads.

Move the file into your folder titled root.

If the file is not named recovery rename it to that.

In your command prompt go the the root folder address like you did in part one.

Once you've successfully entered the "root" folder, type this in and hit enter:

(Remember your phone should be connected to your computer with usb debugging on, with disk drive on, and it should be in fast boot)

Once the prompt finishes the command, go back to main boot loader screen. Then use the volume keys to go down to select recovery.

Press the power button to select recovery.

Once the recovery boots on your phone, select use the volume keys to select/highlight USB MS then press the power button.

Take this zip (don't unzip it) and place it into your sd card (just the root, not in any folders).

Zip: http://download.cyanogenmod.com/get/...nic-signed.zip

Press the power button to exit USB MS.

Now go back to main screen of recovery.

Highlight/select the choice flash zip from sd card and press the power button.

Select/highlight the zip you put in your sd card and press the power button to flash.

Press the power button again to confirm.

Once it's done flashing reboot your phone.

If your phone goes into boot loop (keeps rebooting at cyanogen logo thing) then go to your recovery again and select wipe and select wipe all data/factory reset.

OPTIONAL PART 2.5:

If you're looking for Google apps you might want to flash this too, same thing with the Cyanogen ROM, flash it same way.

http://cmw.22aaf3.com/gapps/gapps-gb...828-signed.zip
    Guide updated v1.1

Fixed link to Amon Ra Recovery. Last link worked but file was deleted.