Howto: enable 11n on HTC Incredible

Search This thread

bearmacerick

Jun 7, 2010
Thanks for this! I got it working. Verified it by connecting to my wireless n router. showed 65mbps.

My question is, I also have wireless tethering, but it is still using G. Anybody know how to make wireless tethering use N?

xcsdm

Mar 2, 2006
Can someone who has a proper dev environment setup also compile/post the module for bnep? I would like to take a crack at getting bluetooth PAN working with wireless tethering, but bnep is awol.

OR, if you can help me get my compiler setup in OS x (10.6.4). The site I found for android source claimed to not support snow leopard. I don't know if this is true or not. I'm getting errors running both of the make commands (even using the darwin-x86) setup.

Thanks if you can help

XC

CaptainTaco

Jun 10, 2010
Hey quick question, what kind of test can I do on phone to test the speed of the connection?

I KNOW that a pc vs phone is different, but when I go to speedtest.net, Phone gets 12.**Mbps while PC gets 21.**. Same location, distance from router, time, etc...

Yea, I have that same issue, I can't remember what I got with the other driver for speed, but my PC gets around 45Mbps down 7Mbps up, and I only got 7Mbps down 2Mbps up through speedtest.net and speedtest.net app. (connected to a 802.11g currently using the 802.11n driver. Will switch back and post results.

760hacker

Nov 15, 2007
NOVA
Yea, I have that same issue, I can't remember what I got with the other driver for speed, but my PC gets around 45Mbps down 7Mbps up, and I only got 7Mbps down 2Mbps up through speedtest.net and speedtest.net app. (connected to a 802.11g currently using the 802.11n driver. Will switch back and post results.

If you are connected to a 11g router you won't see 11n speeds.

CaptainTaco

Jun 10, 2010
If you are connected to a 11g router you won't see 11n speeds.

Well I'm aware of that :)... However, 11g speeds are still higher than most WAN speeds. In this specific case I indicated I'm connected to an 11g connection on which my computer (also connected to the same 11g wireless router) gets 45MBps down, where as my phone is able to obtain no higher than around 7Mbps.

However, paring having to defend my own intelligence (either human nature, or just I'm jack... well you know :) ) I can also defend the driver posted, in that when reverting back to the original driver, I get the same results, indicating the low WAN speed is a result of some other part of the phone. My original fear was that the 11n driver had an adverse effect on the 11g portion, it does not.

magicandroidapps

Jun 18, 2010
Thanks for this! I got it working. Verified it by connecting to my wireless n router. showed 65mbps.

My question is, I also have wireless tethering, but it is still using G. Anybody know how to make wireless tethering use N?

If you are using Ad-hoc mode to tether, I don't think you can do 11n. Ad-hoc mode doesn't support N as far as I know. The EVO and Nexus One with Froyo use infrastructure mode for tethering, and actually make the phone into an AP by downloading different firmware to the WiFi chip. Take a look at the driver at android.git.kernel.org. The AP mode firmware only supports 11g at present.

compnird

Mar 5, 2009
Seattle, WA
If you are using Ad-hoc mode to tether, I don't think you can do 11n. Ad-hoc mode doesn't support N as far as I know. The EVO and Nexus One with Froyo use infrastructure mode for tethering, and actually make the phone into an AP by downloading different firmware to the WiFi chip. Take a look at the driver at android.git.kernel.org. The AP mode firmware only supports 11g at present.

11b, 11g... doesn't matter to me. Is there someone working on a driver to use Infrastructure mode on the Incredible? Or are we stuck to Ad-Hoc mode for a while. My company laptop has a group-policy in place to prevent use of Ad-Hoc networks. So I am using Bluetooth for tether and would much rather have wifi.

I am sure whomever wrote the patch for infrastructure mode would be the savior of the mobile xbox360 guy who is routing through a Laptop. ;)

Stam2000

May 7, 2010
Coram, NY
Ok I followed these steps to the t now I cannot get wifi to even start. Tells me unable to start wifi

* I put the original file back and its working now. dunno what I did wrong though

Last edited:

Tazzyez

Feb 25, 2007
No N on wireless

:(

01. Place bcm4329.ko on root of SD Card
02. Enter ADB Shell (Yes with the adb recovery trick)
03. $su
04. #cd /system/lib/modules
05. #/system/bin/cat bcm4329.ko > bcm4329.ko-orig
06. #/system/bin/cat /sdcard/bcm4329.ko > bcm4329.ko
07. #/system/bin/ls -l
-rw-r--r-- root root 217116 2010-04-06 13:42 bcm4329.ko-orig
-rw-rw-rw- root shell 216716 2010-06-19 01:39 bcm4329.ko
08. # /system/bin/sync
09. # exit
10. $ exit[/QUOTE]

i managed to do this while in clockworkmod recovery after mounting system and sdcard within recovery. everything went off without a hitch. no errors. now to my problem, my phone connects to router as long as i have it set to some kind of mixed setting (currently G/N Mixed) but at any given time i change it to just N my phone will see it but wont connect. While connected in mixed mode i only get 54Mbps. Any ideas? im using a Linksys WRT160n V3 running Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (01/02/10) mini. TIA for any help

Tazzyez

Feb 25, 2007
Is there any benefit to this is I dont have a N router and not planning on buying one?

in my opinion does a better range but then again it could be going from a Netgear router to a Linksys was the difference. I got this Linksys router and it worked for about 3months then started dropping Ip's to my Pcs. After some research i found it was a common problem in the factory firmware and updated mine to Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (01/02/10) mini. Which solved my problems. I have great performance with this router but not sure its cause it has N or because its just a better router.

wpbear

Nov 27, 2006
Columbus, GA
I know the benefits of a N router. I dont think the benifits are worth buying a new router since my G router works fine. I am wondering if this modification to the Incredible would be anyway benficial to me since I never plan on getting a N router.