[Q] Good kernel for CM11 which increases thermal throttling temps?

Search This thread

djsubtronic

Jun 16, 2010
Hello

I am new to this forum and am a long time CM user which I am using on my phone at the moment. However, having discovered the aggressive thermal throttling on this phone (CPU-intensive tasks seem to throttle the max CPU speed down to 1190 MHz very very quickly, before the phone even gets warm), I'm trying to find a custom kernel that will work with CM. I don't care about any fancy features such as S2W or DT2W and if the kernel allows these to be disabled then that would be even better. Basically looking for a reliable, stable kernel that can be configured to be as close to stock as possible, but which would stop the aggressive thermal throttling.

Thanks

PhilipTD

Dec 17, 2010
LI
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Hi, and Welcome!

I'm afraid that your post likely will be considered a "Best ROM or kernel" thread which is not allowed. It's usually suggested that you go over to the development forum and try out kernels for yourself because everybody's needs are different, and so on.

Reactions: djsubtronic

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Hello

I am new to this forum and am a long time CM user which I am using on my phone at the moment. However, having discovered the aggressive thermal throttling on this phone (CPU-intensive tasks seem to throttle the max CPU speed down to 1190 MHz very very quickly, before the phone even gets warm), I'm trying to find a custom kernel that will work with CM. I don't care about any fancy features such as S2W or DT2W and if the kernel allows these to be disabled then that would be even better. Basically looking for a reliable, stable kernel that can be configured to be as close to stock as possible, but which would stop the aggressive thermal throttling.

Thanks

Only Chaos kernel is compatiblewith CM atm afaik because its a CAF based kernel.

Last edited:

djsubtronic

Jun 16, 2010
Hi, and Welcome!

I'm afraid that your post likely will be considered a "Best ROM or kernel" thread which is not allowed. It's usually suggested that you go over to the development forum and try out kernels for yourself because everybody's needs are different, and so on.

I probably will do that, but I thought this might not fall in the realm of "best kernel" because I have listed some specific criteria...

Only Chaos kernel is compatiblewith CM atm afaik because its a CAF based kernel.

I'll give that a try. From browsing earlier I noticed that n30Hammer and ElementalX have separate links for CM11, I figured they would be compatible.

H

Hammer_Of_The_Gods

I'll give that a try. From browsing earlier I noticed that n30Hammer and ElementalX have separate links for CM11, I figured they would be compatible.
Hi,

Yes they are compatible too, for ElementalX choose the right version. Both have thermal settings.

There is also: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2649458 and http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2633955 (almost the same kernels apart the Toolchain), compatible with CM/CM based rom with thermal control too.

:)

Last edited:

djsubtronic

Jun 16, 2010
I'm giving ElementalX a try for now. The mods can feel free to close this thread if they see fit.

Thanks for all the replies.

mistahseller

Mar 13, 2013
Saint Louis
before this gets locked you need a CAF kernel, Chaos kernel comes to mind, they do nice work. Comes with NXT tweaks which allows you to customize almost everything including temp.

zz_marcello

Oct 25, 2011
I tried all possible CM11 kernels and Chaos kernel has in my opinion a very nice CPU load management.
Other kernels will stay for several seconds in max frequency after a power demand which result in higher CPU battery drain.

Bricked kernel was also excellent in that field and super responsive but the developer takes a break at the moment so the kernel is not usable for the CAF Version of CM after 25.01.14 without further modding and the AOSP mod for CM CAF is producing some weird behavior on my phone so I go for Chaos and CM at the moment.

djsubtronic

Jun 16, 2010
I found Elemental would keep upping the minimum CPU to 1267 instead of 300, so at the moment I'm trying out NexXxt as @viking37 linked above, and using Trickster to configure the temps it seems to be working pretty good.

H

Hammer_Of_The_Gods

I found Elemental would keep upping the minimum CPU to 1267 instead of 300
It's normal, it's how Mpdecision from Qualcomm works (for smoothness purpose). Each time you touch the screen the min CPU freq is increased to 1,26 Ghz. In fact the apps reads this at the min CPU freq because you touch the screen to open it. When you stop to touch the screen the min CPU freq will go back to 300 Mhz, the app needs to update the reading of the min CPU freq too but with Trickser Mod it seems it stuck at 1.26 Ghz all the time (for the reading only) but your min CPU freq is 300 Mhz when you don't touch the screen. You will see better this behavior with an app with "live reading CPU freq" like PerfMon or System Monitor.

You can use the "lock frequency" setting in Trickster Mod after set your min CPU freq to 300Mhz, if you want.

:)

Last edited:

djsubtronic

Jun 16, 2010
Just thought I'd report back, been using NexXxt with custom thermal config using Trickster, and have had no problems at all, great battery life and no more throttling.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, and Welcome!

Hello

Thanks

I probably will do that, but I thought this might not fall in the realm of "best kernel" because I have listed some specific criteria...
    Oh, believe me, I think your post is fine. I just wanted to give you a polite heads-up before the more zealous members started chiming in.
    before this gets locked you need a CAF kernel, Chaos kernel comes to mind, they do nice work. Comes with NXT tweaks which allows you to customize almost everything including temp.
    I tried all possible CM11 kernels and Chaos kernel has in my opinion a very nice CPU load management.
    Other kernels will stay for several seconds in max frequency after a power demand which result in higher CPU battery drain.

Bricked kernel was also excellent in that field and super responsive but the developer takes a break at the moment so the kernel is not usable for the CAF Version of CM after 25.01.14 without further modding and the AOSP mod for CM CAF is producing some weird behavior on my phone so I go for Chaos and CM at the moment.