Giving up 2012 macbook air for note 12.w..crazy?

Search This thread

nychotxxx

Nov 26, 2013
I mainly do writing and since the tab has what many are hailing as a true Word clone in the Hancom suite I figure I'd use the tab more than my rarely used macbook air. Am I crazy or is the air for the 12.2 a fair tradeoff? The air is a mid 2012 model and I'm being offered enough on Craigslist to outright buy the tab. I already own the note 8, the note 10.1 2014 and an lg gpad. While I do my main writing on a mac desktop, I spend most of my extra time on tablets. While the 10.1 isn't a true laptop replacement, what's your take on the 12 as a laptop replacement. . My macbook air is 13 inches, just a bit larger than 12.2. I'm not a gamer so besides sending word files to the 12.2 from my desktop, or initiating word files on the 12.2, I mainly surf, email, watch movies/tv, do research. Wpuld love input. Also, are there Any other professional writers using the 12.2 for work?

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
Since you already have the 10.1 2014 and the MacBook Air I'm not sure how much you'll gain with the 12.2. The size of a 13 - inch air is not much different than the note 12.2 once the note is placed in a case so it becomes a trade-off between functionality being lost in office suites and gained in touch OS features.

The danger here is that even if you get other writers to chime in the likelihood of them having the same work flow that you desire is slim. Hancom Office is good but if you're going to write in Hancom Word be aware that it does not support track changes. Some will argue that there are other good word processing applications and that's fine but nobody knows your work flow but you. Personally I would be mindful of having large files edited on a mobile OS bit that's just me since my definition of large differs from others, it's likely not an issue for many (again work flow is the key). My suggestion would be try to find a 12.2 from a seller that allows returns within a couple of weeks and then run it through its paces with some of your past works to see if it cuts the mustard. Once satisfied that it works well for you then put the laptop up for sale.

JSandel

Mar 6, 2012
Muzzy996's points are all good. My take is: depending on what kind of writing you;d use the device for, mainly, & how frequent your deadlines, this is less a software question than one of hardware. I.e., ergonomics.

I've always liked typing on a touchscreen, but the keyboard has to be spaced a certain way. Haven't measured anything, but the iPad's keyboard is great for me—I can just fly, & with slightly higher accuracy than on a physical keyboard. (I recognize I'm in a minority on this.)

I haven't tried the Note Pro 12.2's keyboard. I suspect the key-spacing will be something most users can get used to. But there's a related ergonomic challenge, which is the relationship between the keyboard & the screen. I've always hated writing on a laptop, because the keyboard's attached to the screen. It's tiring holding your head Just So for hours, and stamina counts if you're writing for hire.

You can use a separate keyboard with a laptop to keep your posture strong, but then you're wasting a large part of the computer's design. That's why I prefer tablets as mobile writing devices: I can use a keyboard for a day's work, then just tap on the glass for shorter stuff (emails, texting &c).

So for me, at least, the Note Pro 12.2 will be an ergonomic improvement over smaller tabs—&, I submit, over any laptop. The software question is mainly about the features you need. On the desktop, I work in MS Word, with a set of custom macros to make my life easier. I've never seen a word-processor in a mobile device that behaved enough like a desktop app to make me happy. That might require keeping the Macbook Air.

nychotxxx

Nov 26, 2013
From what I've seen the on screen keyboard is very much like a regular pc/mac keyboard, and again from what I've read and seen hancom word is ms word compatible. I really think I will make more use out of the 12.2 than my macbook air. I still will use my mac desktop for my main writing but will send to the tablet for relaxed copy reading, editing and then send back to the desk top. I really do think tablets like the 12.2 and the note 10.1 2014 are practical replacements (at least for my kind of writing) and can do a lot more and easier than a clunky laptop. I see using a blue tooth keyboard like apple's for writing and editing with the 12.2. I'll have 30 says to try it all out.

Muzzy996's points are all good. My take is: depending on what kind of writing you;d use the device for, mainly, & how frequent your deadlines, this is less a software question than one of hardware. I.e., ergonomics.

I've always liked typing on a touchscreen, but the keyboard has to be spaced a certain way. Haven't measured anything, but the iPad's keyboard is great for me—I can just fly, & with slightly higher accuracy than on a physical keyboard. (I recognize I'm in a minority on this.)

I haven't tried the Note Pro 12.2's keyboard. I suspect the key-spacing will be something most users can get used to. But there's a related ergonomic challenge, which is the relationship between the keyboard & the screen. I've always hated writing on a laptop, because the keyboard's attached to the screen. It's tiring holding your head Just So for hours, and stamina counts if you're writing for hire.

You can use a separate keyboard with a laptop to keep your posture strong, but then you're wasting a large part of the computer's design. That's why I prefer tablets as mobile writing devices: I can use a keyboard for a day's work, then just tap on the glass for shorter stuff (emails, texting &c).

So for me, at least, the Note Pro 12.2 will be an ergonomic improvement over smaller tabs—&, I submit, over any laptop. The software question is mainly about the features you need. On the desktop, I work in MS Word, with a set of custom macros to make my life easier. I've never seen a word-processor in a mobile device that behaved enough like a desktop app to make me happy. That might require keeping the Macbook Air.

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
From what I've seen the on screen keyboard is very much like a regular pc/mac keyboard, and again from what I've read and seen hancom word is ms word compatible. I really think I will make more use out of the 12.2 than my macbook air. I still will use my mac desktop for my main writing but will send to the tablet for relaxed copy reading, editing and then send back to the desk top. I really do think tablets like the 12.2 and the note 10.1 2014 are practical replacements (at least for my kind of writing) and can do a lot more and easier than a clunky laptop. I see using a blue tooth keyboard like apple's for writing and editing with the 12.2. I'll have 30 says to try it all out.

I love my 12.2 It is a great tool. I don't ever use track changes so nothing lost there in hancom. I do my own proofreading and editing so.... Multi window and handwriting are so much better on the larger screen as well.

jackwagon06

Jan 12, 2013
Your not crazy. I do not write for a living, but do process work orders via a Remote server. Emails of course, like everyone. A ton of writing/typing, but not the way you guys describe. Great points have been stated, but here's my take:

With a bluetooth keyboard, and using my magic mouse(bluetoothed to note), I have basically a laptop if I desire. Great for travel. I have defaulted to just the logitech keyboard/case as of late.

When home, I use just the oem case and on screen keyboard, and enjoy my tablet in its true form. The best part is Im at my desk now with both the note pro and typing on my macbook. The note can do all of it. The storage is less, but I havent come close to capacity, on either. There is always cloud storage to use if needed. Just using the Mac, because its fun too. Had to remind myself why I like the note better....Also just saw a thread in general about formatting a Hard Drive to use on your note pro. Think about that, you would truly have laptop storage, when needed.

I think Muzzy's recommendation of trying out Hancom would be my deciding factor, if my needs were yours. This, IMO, is your only thing to overcome. I am closer to trying to import my current word docs, excel, and even PP to see how they play with one another. But remember, the on screen keyboard does take screen space while your typing. I know it bugs me until I get used to using the on screen keyboard again.

I would try out Hancom at a store quickly before buying. You may notice you dont even want to think about it, and save yourself the purchase.

zaptoons

Nov 26, 2011
Los Angeles
www.zaptoons.com
The screen of the Note 12 is certainly much sharper and better on the eyes than the MacBook Air's non-retina screen.

I do a lot of writing as well, with a 15" rMBP and the screen matters most to me. Otherwise a writer can use just about anything.

That said:

I wouldn't want to do any serious writing with an on-screen keyboard of any nature. (Maybe just quick edits and such).

I'd look into a decent Bluetooth keyboard (Logitech K811 -or K810 for PC- is hands down the best keyboard I've used, and switches between multiple devices with a button press) or a good keyboard case for the Note 12. Then it's absolutely just as good if not a better pure writing platform than the Air.

05.jpg

(My 12.2 and Logitech K811, perfect writing combo.)

Last edited:

petercohen

Aug 22, 2014
The screen of the Note 12 is certainly much sharper and better on the eyes than the MacBook Air's non-retina screen.

I do a lot of writing as well, with a 15" rMBP and the screen matters most to me. Otherwise a writer can use just about anything.

That said:

I wouldn't want to do any serious writing with an on-screen keyboard of any nature. (Maybe just quick edits and such).

I'd look into a decent Bluetooth keyboard (Logitech K811 -or K810 for PC- is hands down the best keyboard I've used, and switches between multiple devices with a button press) or a good keyboard case for the Note 12. Then it's absolutely just as good if not a better pure writing platform than the Air.

05.jpg

(My 12.2 and Logitech K811, perfect writing combo.)
What is the name of this beautiful stand? Any URL?