officially giving up hope

Search This thread

jhowle9475

Jul 31, 2011
Was just chatting with Acer Tech Support today about the upcoming android 4.0 release for the A500. I wanted to ask some questions because my step father has a Xoom and he got the update to 4.0.4 early this morning. Acer tech support gave me the link:

Acer Support - Answers, E-Mail, Chat - When will Android Operating System 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) be available for my Acer Android tablet?

After reading it i noticed that next to the A500 and A100 it says TBA in mid april. For those of you who don't know what TBA means, it means To Be Announced. This genuinely disappointed me because after months of waiting and being within the month that ACER said they were going to announce it, they still have no updated info to give. What I am understanding from my conversation with ACER is that sometime over the next few weeks, ACER will officially announce that the update is either coming or not coming and possibly a date if it is. I have to ask myself what kind of company is ACER if the best answer they are willing to give is a Non-Committal answer.
Don't get me wrong, my ONLY entent here is to express my discontent over this information. I definately feel not supported by ACER in this manner and I have just listed my A500 on craigslist. When it is gone, I am buying a Motorola Xoom.

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
Acer tech support/sub constractors

you do know that acer tech support is likely outsourced . SO after you talked to that person. And got a well i do not know standard answer.That person likely answered another call on a totally different device maybe even a washer or A kids toy. This is the consensus about how Acer tech support is. I really do not know if they are outsourced. But as dumb as they are its very likely..

As far as ics. it will come Acer says it should start being pushed out mid April.If you know there update sequence from past updates. that would mean May to mid may for us . If it comes out on time. READ Around about all the devices still on Honeycomb.and not sure if they are even going to get a update.

Acer is acer. and have aweful tech support in the US.But my tablet is a awesome device.Thou the support and communication issues. Yes i would buy another acer product . but i will not be jumping on the Quad care tab right now. MY Iconia will do anything i need .

Reactions: RobHunt

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
I got to say, so f'ing what. Do you really think ICS will be that much of an improvement over HC. There is nothing spectacular. It feels like another incremental update to me. I've been running one of the leaked versions for awhile and truthfully, there is not much of a difference. It's not like your A500 is going to magically become a new tablet. And what kind of idiot would go out and buy a xoom over the A500. Now, if you said you were going to go buy one of the new Tegra 3 tablets than you would be showing some intelligence. Just stop getting your panties in a bunch and be patient. I would rather have a stable OS than the buggy piece of **** that the xoom is probably running.

Reactions: starfcker69

BrianDigital

Lol sounds like someones mad

If it comes out in April then Acer is way ahead of the update game than I thought. Looking over at my nexus s and the gsm version just got ICS last weekend and Google itself has a close relationship with the device and it took them until now to get it updated

Sent from my Iconia A500 using Tapatalk

panda.bear

Dec 11, 2009
I got to say, so f'ing what. Do you really think ICS will be that much of an improvement over HC. There is nothing spectacular. It feels like another incremental update to me. I've been running one of the leaked versions for awhile and truthfully, there is not much of a difference. It's not like your A500 is going to magically become a new tablet. And what kind of idiot would go out and buy a xoom over the A500. Now, if you said you were going to go buy one of the new Tegra 3 tablets than you would be showing some intelligence. Just stop getting your panties in a bunch and be patient. I would rather have a stable OS than the buggy piece of **** that the xoom is probably running.

I don't think ICS will make my A500 a new tablet but it certainly has breathed new life into my Nexus S as its certainly noticeably faster on a single core processor.

I think the main point is that Acer has lagged behind all its competitors in terms of offering timely updates and as early adopters being up-to-date, even with an updated buggy rom is important.

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
I just don't see the lag in updates to ICS. My HTC Evo 3D isn't updated yet and isn't scheduled to late May or June. I think Acer wants to watch the leaks and see what needs improvements. The latest leak .31 seems to be leaps and bounds of the other leaks as far as stability. The touch screen issues have been worked out. I'm just saying, I'd rather wait for Acer to get all the bugs worked out first and then release it. It just amazes me how some people will start a new thread like this one. I'm giving up hope. Who the hell cares. Acer doesn't, they already have his money.

WereCatf

Jun 16, 2011
Tbh, the Flexreaper ROM available in the dev section is really good.

I do understand the wish for an official ICS-release and I do understand that not everyone wishes to use a custom ROM or get rooted, but if you don't mind rooting and installing custom ROM I would definitely suggest going for Flexreaper. So far I have not found any terrible issues with it, the only thing that keeps crapping on me is WIFI, but that is likely because of my router and not the ROM because it works just fine if I tether to my phone.

bfranklin1986

Nov 22, 2010
Was just chatting with Acer Tech Support today about the upcoming android 4.0 release for the A500. I wanted to ask some questions because my step father has a Xoom and he got the update to 4.0.4 early this morning. Acer tech support gave me the link:

Acer Support - Answers, E-Mail, Chat - When will Android Operating System 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) be available for my Acer Android tablet?

After reading it i noticed that next to the A500 and A100 it says TBA in mid april. For those of you who don't know what TBA means, it means To Be Announced. This genuinely disappointed me because after months of waiting and being within the month that ACER said they were going to announce it, they still have no updated info to give. What I am understanding from my conversation with ACER is that sometime over the next few weeks, ACER will officially announce that the update is either coming or not coming and possibly a date if it is. I have to ask myself what kind of company is ACER if the best answer they are willing to give is a Non-Committal answer.
Don't get me wrong, my ONLY entent here is to express my discontent over this information. I definately feel not supported by ACER in this manner and I have just listed my A500 on craigslist. When it is gone, I am buying a Motorola Xoom.

We have leaks so obviously they are working on it, so why would they waste resources on something if they aren't going to eventually release it?

ibeqa

Mar 17, 2005
Prishtina
The way I see it ... All manufacturers (Arcer, Asus, HTC, etc) released ICS first to their flagship devices (example: HTC Senesation, Acer A200, etc.) The rest of devices that were anounced to get ICS will get it latter. For me it's a normal behaviour, you just can't push it to all devices at once, hell they even divide OTA to regions (some regions get it earlier than some other).
And... yes I like my A500.

Cheers

frankws

Aug 14, 2011
Lol sounds like someones mad

If it comes out in April then Acer is way ahead of the update game than I thought. Looking over at my nexus s and the gsm version just got ICS last weekend and Google itself has a close relationship with the device and it took them until now to get it updated

Can't you read?
As I posted yesterday and as was also posted here, the date of the release for ICS will BE ANNOUNCED mid April, not released Mid April.
We will be lucky to get it by June.
And is life that bad without ICS.
Acer could have said there would be no update for the A500.
I want it too but life will go on without it.
Patience is a virtue.
If they release it and it has bugs, people would be complaining "it was release too early."

Last edited:

Vintage144

Jan 1, 1970
if your content with the standard crap the manufacturer puts out , why not just buy an ipad , Android for is customization ! Try this ,go to the dev section read as much as you can ,then download a custom rom , Id suggest "Icyliscious" or "Flexreaper" two outstanding roms! run both of these leaked roms ice cream sandwich! both very stable and I gotta tell ya , way faster than HC , Flex will smoke most benchmark tests , if all you want is stock , stick with crApple products and let them decide whats good for you! This is why I dont ever leave the dev section...........

pacificwing

Jul 8, 2011
Vancouver
Acer does seem to be rather lacking in the support department. Yes, the USB port is great, but honestly, I don't think I'd buy another Acer. They are rather slow on the updates and fixes. But what really bothers me is the "quirks" that appear to be easily fixable, but totally ignored by acer.

Like the inability to support a bluetooth headset with a microphone (Other tablets had HSP profile out of the gate! WTF Acer!?). This wouldn't be so bad if the built-in microphone didn't sound like it had tissue paper stuffed into it.

Furthermore, the poor GPS just plain sucks. Acer's paraphrased response: "The GPS isn't meant to be used for navigation." Again, WTF Acer!?!? The custom ROM's have way better GPS support, proving that the GPS can be fixed with software. Acer just seems to refuse to do it.

The tablet is also poorly constructed. I've gone through three devices and the chassis seems to make creaking noises when squeezed in the corners. It just feels flimsy. The other android tablets I"ve used don't seem have this problem.

Don't get me wrong; All the android tablets have had thier issues, but you seem to see much better response from the other major brands in regards to addressing those issues. Acer, by comparison, tends to be rather sluggish.

</RANT>

Oh well. Nothing I can do now but wait. The A500 will do me until the quad-cores come out.

BrianDigital

Can't you read?
As I posted yesterday and as was also posted here, the date of the release for ICS will BE ANNOUNCED mid April, not released Mid April.
We will be lucky to get it by June.
And is life that bad without ICS.
Acer could have said there would be no update for the A500.
I want it too but life will go on without it.
Patience is a virtue.
If they release it and it has bugs, people would be complaining "it was release too early."

That's the point, Google the Creator of android took months to update their own phone. And this guy is crying about the ics for the a500. Which we already have in the dev section, and if he is uncomfortable with doing that I must ask why does hecome here.

Oh I can read maybe you should learn comprehension I would be surprised if Acer released anything in april

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Vintage144

Jan 1, 1970
Well on Googles defense, unlike Microsoft and Apple , Google doesnt make money off of there OS , (maybe now that they own Motorola it might change) ,but since open source is hard to make money off of its unlikely releases will speed up , thankfully the dev community is strong in Android and all we need is for them to give hints and bits of code for the dev's to complete there own versions maybe not "official" or "certified" but Ill take my chances , I cant stand proprietory OS's!

ctiger

Oct 22, 2008
That's the point, Google the Creator of android took months to update their own phone. And this guy is crying about the ics for the a500. Which we already have in the dev section, and if he is uncomfortable with doing that I must ask why does hecome here.

Oh I can read maybe you should learn comprehension I would be surprised if Acer released anything in april

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

But the fact is google already released ICS, and some other companies already released their updates. Now Acer didn't put too much effort on the sold units, is losing their users confidence. I know we should be patient, because we have nothing else that we can do. Oh, one thing, I'll never ever buy an Acer product anymore, how about that?

sRDennyCrane

But the fact is google already released ICS, and some other companies already released their updates. Now Acer didn't put too much effort on the sold units, is losing their users confidence. I know we should be patient, because we have nothing else that we can do. Oh, one thing, I'll never ever buy an Acer product anymore, how about that?

Look at this chart. It's current.

AndroidVersions4-12.png

There's a whopping 2.9% of Android devices out there running ICS. I'd recommend to ANYONE who's this upset over Acer (and pretty much everyone else) not releasing ICS yet... to sell their devices IMMEDIATELY and buy an iPhone and iPad. They'll make you feel GOOD about waiting a couple years for an update. Plus, they'll constantly make you believe you own the best technology out there.

Until they tell you it's obsolete in June. But Hey! That's MONTHS away!

:)

Reactions: lilirose

ctiger

Oct 22, 2008

There's a whopping 2.9% of Android devices out there running ICS. I'd recommend to ANYONE who's this upset over Acer (and pretty much everyone else) not releasing ICS yet... to sell their devices IMMEDIATELY and buy an iPhone and iPad. They'll make you feel GOOD about waiting a couple years for an update. Plus, they'll constantly make you believe you own the best technology out there.

Why should I care about this chart? We are talking about the tablets, not the old obsolete phones, which were not capable to upgrade to newer system or won't have too much improvement even after upgrade. A more useful chart will be, how many tablets running on the Tegra2 chipset are at which version of Android, that'll be relevant. There're billions of PC with windows xp, windows 2000, windows 98, windows 95, or even DOS. Try put the windows 7 on those.
BTW I got an iPhone 4S, and it's good.

jhowle9475

Jul 31, 2011
Speaqking from experience with Apple and considering that i once was a total convert to apple with a Mac Mini, iPod and iPhone. I got tired of being stuck with essentially how it is shipped and lack of hardware/software for Apple products. I felts like i wasn't allowed to change or customized something i spent hundreds on so I ditched apple and when back to PC and Android. People should stop comparring the two because they are not similar in anyway. The truth is that apple tends to run 3 years behind in technology and nothing they do or derive from there business model is designed to push and industry forward. There business model is designed to do only one things and that is to keep apple in business. Microsoft and google have decided the opposite and have been driving the industry forward. Microsoft and google have released numerous completely new operating systems in the last decade where as apple has only updated OS X. It is a shame that is over 12 years the best that apple could do is change OSX from 10.0 to 10.7 and give them stupid animal names to make the public think it is something new when in fact it is still OSX. Another fact is the Apple total PC sales makes up less then 2% of the total computer sales. There tablets make up less then 5% and the iphone have fallen to less than 18%.

Does anyone here watch Conan O'Brian. He was once a strong pusher of apple products but has shifted to android. I say a 2 minute commercial on TBS the other night where he was advertising his new tablet app. It was plain to see in the commercial from lots of up close shots of the app and tablet that he was holding up a shinny new samsung galaxy tab. He now showcases the galaxy tab and doesn't mention iPad's anymore.

BrianDigital

you cant comprehend

but the fact is google itself took over four months with vague updates of when ICS was coming to its own phone............so what tablet will you get that will get future updates when a year old...where. I bet you have alot of entitlement trophies lying around your house

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJD8pZiRIzs

another point your on xda there are leaks of ICS you can install without rooting so put down the tissues install one or go buy a new tablet that will sell next year when you don't have an update when you feel you should have one

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

you cant comprehend

but the fact is google itself took over four months with vague updates of when ICS was coming to its own phone............so what tablet will you get that will get future updates when a year old...where. I bet you have alot of entitlement trophies lying around your house

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJD8pZiRIzs

another point your on xda there are leaks of ICS you can install without rooting so put down the tissues install one or go buy a new tablet that will sell next year when you don't have an update when you feel you should have one
    Acer tech support/sub constractors

you do know that acer tech support is likely outsourced . SO after you talked to that person. And got a well i do not know standard answer.That person likely answered another call on a totally different device maybe even a washer or A kids toy. This is the consensus about how Acer tech support is. I really do not know if they are outsourced. But as dumb as they are its very likely..

As far as ics. it will come Acer says it should start being pushed out mid April.If you know there update sequence from past updates. that would mean May to mid may for us . If it comes out on time. READ Around about all the devices still on Honeycomb.and not sure if they are even going to get a update.

Acer is acer. and have aweful tech support in the US.But my tablet is a awesome device.Thou the support and communication issues. Yes i would buy another acer product . but i will not be jumping on the Quad care tab right now. MY Iconia will do anything i need .

AndroidVersions4-12.png

Tegra 2 devices that launched with honeycomb:
    Acer a500
    Acer a100
    asus transformer
    moto xoom
    samsung galxay tab
    sony tablet s
    toshiba thrive

updated to 4.0:
    acer a100
    asus transformer