How to Unlock Your Samsung Galaxy S3 & Note 2 (No Rooting)

Search This thread

AdL2012

Apr 7, 2013
Bristol
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I believe it is possible to root... unlock then unroot but please do yourself a favor and research it...from what i have read... there is an app called galaxysim or something to that effect..... I guess it all comes down to warranty..if you have had the phone a year and warranty is done I would leave it rooted since there are advantages to having a rooted phone.... what i will suggest is once you root before doing anything else.... do a nand backup even if you plan on unrooting it..... also copy your efs file to the pc and to another location on the phone incase something goes wrong with the unlock...

You really need to research it first though as always anytime you mess with the system files there is a chance you can brick your phone (basically making it an expensive paper weight) so do your research.....I have been fortunate enough to brick a phone and bring it back to life but others have had less luck.... so if you plan on going forward with this ... read read read then read again.... if you pick a root method... read the whole forum... see what others have experienced..... and note if there are any recovery options... if there are no recovery options i would look for a different method..... and if no one has successfully recovered well I would find some other way....again there is always a chance you are going to mess up your phone ..... most forums have people that will help you out if you get stuck.. so ask first... then do

P.S. make sure your looking at the right instructions.... only use instructions for the 9300...... not the i747.......

ok...thanks man

krazyq

Jul 24, 2012
Minneapolis
unbelievable, tried on it three phones and worked, was about to spend $75!!
Is this permanent factory unlock even after resetting the phones
I have the T-mobile version T999
will this work on the S4 and note II?

Massijah

Sep 18, 2010
Verizon problem

I have been using T-mobile on my verizon samsung note 2 for about 3 weeks. Now for some reason it is no longer working. I have went through the steps listed but once I click the network lock there is not anything listed as stated in this form

Gage_Hero

Jul 22, 2010
unbelievable, tried on it three phones and worked, was about to spend $75!!
Is this permanent factory unlock even after resetting the phones
I have the T-mobile version T999
will this work on the S4 and note II?

It is supposed to stay permanent through an upgrade I don't think I have read where anyone has done a reset but you could try and report back :) There are procedures for s4 just not this one..... search xda by model number ie T999..... I am pretty sure I've seen threads for that.

Gage_Hero

Jul 22, 2010
Think I learned something new... or not...

So I was wanting to figure out if I did indeed unlock my phone so off to google.... most of the sites I found said in order to use data on another network you need to enter the correct APN... so I thought cool ... I'm on Telus so I'll try entering the APN for Bell..... Done by going into settings>>more settings>>mobile networks>>access point names well in there I see 2 listed,....but... when you tap the menu button you get add new apn..... apparently this isn't possible on a locked phone, so I thought cool.... so away I go entering all the stuff then hit save..... huh... nothing saved well that aint good.... back to google.... Then I realize you need to have the actual sim for that network in the phone to save the apn.... okay makes sense..... then I go ahead and create a telus.spx for the name of the apn but enter all the relevant data.... hit save again and there she blows.... tap the apn to switch and there ya go I got internet again....

Soooooo long story short....it is my belief that IF you can enter a new APN..... you are definitely unlocked.... would be good if someone that hasn't unlocked could confirm.... and if I am wrong .... don't flame me.... although I don't object to having dollar bills or large tossed at me lol....

So I check another phone from a co-worker... I am wrong....

Last edited:

TheStrokerace

May 24, 2013
First off, I will apologize for what I am going to say. I may be out of line, but someone has to say this

I don't usually post on these types of forums. I do what everyone should do, READ the instructions. If the instructions don't work, look to see why. Search the forums to see if there is another solution to your problem. Chances are, there is as someone else most likely has the same phone and ran into the same problem and found a solution. The guys on this site are great.

This method does work, takes a few minutes to do if you have the correct phone. I have a brand new S3 right from Telus and use this method on the phone when it was 2 weeks old. Never rooted it and had an micro sim that I had found from another carrier. After I followed the instructions, it did not ask for the unlock code. That was 4 months ago and the phone works fine.

I see some say they don't have a sim card from another carrier. Heres a simple solution that will cost you nothing. This is Just for Canadian users. Go to a Virgin mobile store, tell them you want to use your phone as a pay as you go on their network. They will give you a FREE sim card. Tell them you want to activate it online from home. Go home, activate the sim online and use the pay per use section. No money needed to active the sim. Within an hour, the sim will be activated. Put it your phone and if you followed the directions properly, you will get 2 text messages saying the account is set up. Now you have an spare sim card to test with on any device that takes a micro sim. It was all done for FREE.

I have since rooted my phone and it still works and never lost anything. I even did a factory reset and its still rooted and the sim unlock still works too.

IN OTHER WORDS> READ WITH YOUR EYES AND NOT YOUR MOUTH> if you read all of it, read it again to make sure you understand it. Follow the instructions and it will work for you. You will need Jelly Bean 4.1.1 for it to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: scootertrashtx

Gage_Hero

Jul 22, 2010
First off, I will apologize for what I am going to say. I may be out of line, but someone has to say this

I don't usually post on these types of forums. I do what everyone should do, READ the instructions. If the instructions don't work, look to see why. Search the forums to see if there is another solution to your problem. Chances are, there is as someone else most likely has the same phone and ran into the same problem and found a solution. The guys on this site are great.

This method does work, takes a few minutes to do if you have the correct phone. I have a brand new S3 right from Telus and use this method on the phone when it was 2 weeks old. Never rooted it and had an micro sim that I had found from another carrier. After I followed the instructions, it did not ask for the unlock code. That was 4 months ago and the phone works fine.

I see some say they don't have a sim card from another carrier. Heres a simple solution that will cost you nothing. This is Just for Canadian users. Go to a Virgin mobile store, tell them you want to use your phone as a pay as you go on their network. They will give you a FREE sim card. Tell them you want to activate it online from home. Go home, activate the sim online and use the pay per use section. No money needed to active the sim. Within an hour, the sim will be activated. Put it your phone and if you followed the directions properly, you will get 2 text messages saying the account is set up. Now you have an spare sim card to test with on any device that takes a micro sim. It was all done for FREE.

I have since rooted my phone and it still works and never lost anything. I even did a factory reset and its still rooted and the sim unlock still works too.

IN OTHER WORDS> READ WITH YOUR EYES AND NOT YOUR MOUTH> if you read all of it, read it again to make sure you understand it. Follow the instructions and it will work for you. You will need Jelly Bean 4.1.1 for it to work.

Excellent reply.... never considered going to Virgin....

Dec 16, 2012
toronto
The point of these threads is to unlock for free.. We know you can pay 10-30$ in other places, if we were interested in that these post would be useless..... You can even unlock for free by calling your carrier. No need to pay ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
not to bell in canada, you can't!! i called in January, the y asked 75$ for it. and your phone has to be under contract for :( 6 months. so basically conclusion is you can't unlock for free.!

TheStrokerace

May 24, 2013
not to bell in canada, you can't!! i called in January, the y asked 75$ for it. and your phone has to be under contract for :( 6 months. so basically conclusion is you can't unlock for free.!

You are missing the point here. This whole thread is about unlocking your phone for free. No need to pay anything to anyone. takes a few mins to do. Yes, it works on your Bell phone. Just follow the steps in the first post. I did and it works.

Reactions: jayRokk
Jun 23, 2010
Albuquerque
So when I run this process I lose GPS on my phone. GPS won't turn on after doing this. I followed the OP directions perfectly. I'm running stock TMO jelly bean with route66. I can reverse the process and then I get GPS working again. I am going to try "unlocking" using the OP and then flash to a different rom (AXIS) to see if that works. Anyone run across this?

EDIT: So I left GPS on when I ran this process to unlock and GPS is working after that. I'm still going to try a custom rom and see. I guess i need to go and find a different sim too. I'll update this when I do.

Last edited:

Gage_Hero

Jul 22, 2010
So when I run this process I lose GPS on my phone. GPS won't turn on after doing this. I followed the OP directions perfectly. I'm running stock TMO jelly bean with route66. I can reverse the process and then I get GPS working again. I am going to try "unlocking" using the OP and then flash to a different rom (AXIS) to see if that works. Anyone run across this?

EDIT: So I left GPS on when I ran this process to unlock and GPS is working after that. I'm still going to try a custom rom and see. I guess i need to go and find a different sim too. I'll update this when I do.

Weird that you lost gps, I didn't do anything special and mine still works fine, must be a hardware or rom thing. I have the i747m with stock rom.

Jun 23, 2010
Albuquerque
Weird that you lost gps, I didn't do anything special and mine still works fine, must be a hardware or rom thing. I have the i747m with stock rom.

I ran AXIS rom all day yesterday and had no issues with GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi, calls, email....you name it, it all worked. In the debug menu it shows that I have that sha256 set to "off" so I assume that it means the phone is not locked to tmo right now. I have access to a different sim on friday and will check it then. Pretty odd considering that i tried this process to unlock at least 5 times previously running both the stock rom and different custom roms. For some reason leaving GPS on while doing this was the trick it took. I just can't figure out what dependency there would be between GPS and carrier lock?

Oh well if it ends up working great!

Liko2k

Jan 9, 2009
In my casethe last menu does not exist...Any options what to do now to unlock quickly my S3? I'm abroad and need to put data sim card really bad!

Thanks for help!

Jun 23, 2010
Albuquerque
I ran AXIS rom all day yesterday and had no issues with GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi, calls, email....you name it, it all worked. In the debug menu it shows that I have that sha256 set to "off" so I assume that it means the phone is not locked to tmo right now. I have access to a different sim on friday and will check it then. Pretty odd considering that i tried this process to unlock at least 5 times previously running both the stock rom and different custom roms. For some reason leaving GPS on while doing this was the trick it took. I just can't figure out what dependency there would be between GPS and carrier lock?

Oh well if it ends up working great!

Yeah, I don't know what the dependency would be either. My guess is some of the pathways for "unlocking" must have to read the phones current state to implement the change. Regardless, after leaving GPS on and then changing sha256 to "off" it did work. I was out of the country for 2 weeks and used an international sim card the whole time. I ran a CS-Rom throughout and never had any problems. I think that I could have used any rom I wanted and it would have worked once the GPS issue was solved.

I'm pretty happy with this whole process though! TMO wouldn't give me the unlock code and this worked. Good Stuff!

tuanhuynh208

Jul 8, 2012
I think it worked on my GS3 T999 because when i put on at&t sim, it didnt ask for unlock code anymore, but i have 1 question, is this mode will affect anything on 4g or not?

compaqen

Jul 4, 2013
reverse process

Unlock your Samsung Galaxy S3, Note 2 and Ruby. Free. No Rooting. No Hacking.

Just dial the following keys *#197328640#

Main Menu
[1] UMTS
[1] Debug Screen
[8] Phone Control
[6] Network Lock
Options [3]Perso SHA256 OFF
(after choosing this option, wait about 30 seconds, then go back one step by pressing the Menu button then select Back, now you are in
[6] Network Lock then choose
[4] NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ ..... wait for a minute then reboot your phone

Don't pay high unlocking fee's on eBay! Say no to them with a big smile

Hi,
Is there a way to check if this works without another sim card??
Any codes to see if it's unlocked???
Ken

I unlocked my phone this way.but it keeps shutting off now for some reason. I've tried clearing caches and sucj for the UI and I have done nothing else special to it.I have downloaded almost no apps so far. I already tried factory reset but it still freezes then shuts off very frequemtly. I am using a GS3 i747m fairly new.can soneone help me out ? Is there a reaon why it shuts down so often?
Eli

aderfy

Jul 9, 2013
Network lock no rows

Hi,
I am using a Verizon Galaxy S3 (rooted) and after I get to Network Lock the following steps after that is not there (just blank rows)... any advice on what I should do?

(after choosing this option, wait about 30 seconds, then go back one step by pressing the Menu button then select Back, now you are in

Gage_Hero

Jul 22, 2010
I unlocked my phone this way.but it keeps shutting off now for some reason. I've tried clearing caches and sucj for the UI and I have done nothing else special to it.I have downloaded almost no apps so far. I already tried factory reset but it still freezes then shuts off very frequemtly. I am using a GS3 i747m fairly new.can soneone help me out ? Is there a reaon why it shuts down so often?
Eli

This process shouldn't effect the phone shutting down unless you made some other change while you were in the menu. Kind of sounds like you shut something off or deleted something. Need more data though, as is carrier, rooted or not, rom stock or not... version etc....

nymosis

Jul 4, 2012
www.stephenstirling.net
Unlock surviving rom flashing between different Android versions

I had a question that I didn't specifically see mentioned in this thread. I have heard that the unlock will survive flashing roms, and if that's true I was hoping someone could confirm that the unlock will also survive flashing between different rom versions of Jelly Bean?

I was using a 4.2.2 rom, however I couldn't get to the service mode so I flashed back to stock 4.1.1 and was able to unlock the phone using the service mode. I would like to go back to my custom 4.2.2 rom but before doing so I was hoping that someone could answer my question of whether or not if I do that, will the phone still be unlocked?

Thanks guys

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cmiEZcw1z8

Unlock your Samsung Galaxy S3, Note 2 and Ruby. Free. No Rooting. No Hacking.

Main Menu
    [1] UMTS
    [1] Debug Screen
    [8] Phone Control
    [6] Network Lock

Don't pay high unlocking fee's on eBay! Say no to them with a big smile

(http://forums.redflagdeals.com/free...2-all-gsm-carriers-galaxy-rugby-bell-1266487/)
    Already been talked about awhile ago here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2024361

And here again: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2033225

You should really search before making a thread like this. And I know you'll say I did search... But apparently not hard enough

sent from the scary door.....
    There is a lot of confusion about unlocking in this thread and elsewhere. Your S3 can still be unlocked after the 4.3 update, just keep in mind that most threads either have inaccurate information or miss essential steps.

Unlock codes and procedures often change or play musical chairs in major software updates. Prior to the problematic 4.3 update you could unlock your S3 with the cited procedure in this thread. This is a permanent unlock and would survive firmware changes. This only applies to touchwiz ROMs e.g. North American factory ROMs or custom ROMs that preserve the dialer codes. This unlocking procedure is also distinct from the carrier specific unlock codes or commercial unlockers who either have access to the official database or have figured out the key algorithm.

If your phone has not taken the 4.3 update yet:
    Install the 4.1.1 stock touchwiz ROM and use this procedure to unlock. You can then revert back to your favourite firmware version after your phone has been unlocked.

Dial the following code on the phone keypad: *#197328640#

Main Menu > [1] UMTS > [1] Debug Screen > [8] Phone Control > [6] Network Lock > Options [3]Perso SHA256 OFF
    After choosing this option, wait 30 seconds, then go back one step by pressing the Menu button then select back
    Now you are in [6] Network Lock then choose [4] NW Lock NV Data INITIALIZE

You should see a message that says
    SHA256_ENABLED_FLAG[0]
    SHA256_OFF => Not Change

Choose [1] SHA256_ENABLED_FLAG
    Wait 30 seconds, then press Menu > Back. Do not use the back key, choose back from the menu popup.
    You should now see a message that says
    MENU NOT EXIST
    PRESS BACK KEY
    Current Command is 118640 (if you don't see this message.. skip to alternate step below)

Note that the exact Command number may vary.. don't worry about that.
    Wait another 30 seconds, then press Menu > Back. Do not use the back key, choose back from the menu popup

You should see a message that PERSO_NV_INIT is processing, then PERSO_NV_INIT is SUCCESSFUL
    Now return to the SHA256 menu and turn Perso SHA256 back on
    Back our of all menus and enjoy your unlocked S3

Alternate step. If you didn't receive the MENU NOT EXIST message, then use the back option in the menu popup until you see a menu what includes [6] Common.
    Click on [6] Common and choose [6] NV REBUILD
    You should now see a message that says:
    Golden-Backup exist
    You can Restore Cal/NV

Choose [4] Restore Backup
    Your phone may freeze or change screens briefly, then should reboot
    If you run into errors, look at this link for advice on how to proceed: How to unlock.. (techbeasts.com)

Enjoy your unlocked S3

If you have the 4.3 update:
    Now you know that updates are evil or at least mess up your plans.
    The unlock procedures have changed somewhat now and it seems that there are now several alternate procedures depending on your carrier.

Gambit #1
    If you tried the above and got half way to find that menu item [4] NW Lock NV Data INITIALIZE was missing, then try the following. Note that menu item [4] may also be missing if your phone is already unlocked. So you might want to try a SIM from another carrier to confirm whether your phone really needs to be unlocked.

Dial the following code on the phone keypad: *#197328640#

Main Menu > [1] UMTS > [1] Debug Screen > [8] Phone Control > [6] Network Lock > Options [3]Perso SHA256 OFF
    After choosing this option, wait 30 seconds, then go back one step by pressing the Menu button then select back
    Now you are in [6] Network Lock and presumably you now find that there is no [4] NW Lock NV Data INITIALIZE menu item

If so, then press Menu > Back. Do not use the back key, choose back from the menu popup.
    Now this is the step that most threads miss, tap on SHA256_ENABLED_FLAG.
    This item may look like a message rather than a menu choice i.e. may not be enumerated. Tap it anyway
    Now you may see one of several things.

If it appears that you are back to the starting menu, choose [1} UMTS again and follow the original steps and you should find that the missing menu item is now present, although it may be labeled NW Lock NV Data INITIALIZE or NV REBUILD. Or you may find yourself on a page that already has the initialize or rebuild option.
    In either case, choose INTIALIZE or REBUILD, followed by the remaining steps as originally described.
    If you get a message asking you to reboot your phone to finish, then do that instead of the remaining steps.

I'd recommend that after you are done that you return to the service menu again and ensure that SHA256 was re-enabled. The SHA256_ENABLED_FLAG should = 1 (not 0). If the flag status is 0, then choose the Perso SHA256 ON option.​
    Enjoy your unlocked S3

Gambit #2
    If the above does is still missing key menu items on your phone, then try this alternate dialer code:
    *#27663368378#

And then proceed as before.

However, if you encounter the following message:
    Golden-Backup exist

Then follow the procedure in this link instead: How to unlock.. (techbeasts.com)
    Enjoy your unlocked S3

Gambit #3
    If you still have a stubborn phone, try the following dialer code
    *#0011#
    This will look like an informational screen with no menu choices.
    Don't fear, the menu you want is just hidden. Continue with the steps in this link: How to unlock.. (unlockfaq.com)
    Enjoy your unlocked S3

Oh no.. that didn't work either!
    If all else fails, contact your provider and tell them that you will be traveling in elsewhere e.g. Europe and need to have your phone unlocked. Most carriers will provide you with a network (carrier) unlock code in this situation. Typically without charge, but it will vary by carrier. Or you can avail yourself of a commercial unlocking service. Google will find a googol [sic] of them for you.

Note that you need to insert a valid, non-blacklisted SIM from another carrier to be prompted to enter a network unlock code. It need not be active, just not blocked i.e. reported as lost /stolen. If you have any difficulties entering the code, have a look at this link.

Good luck

Hi,

Does anyone have a method to make this work on Galaxy S3 running Jelly Bean 4.1.2? I want to get my phone unlocked but dont really prefer to downgrade to 4.1.1 because of the features 4.1.2 has.

Any other way?

Thank You ! :) Reply ASAP.

You could backup your rom, flash the stock 4.1.1 rom, unlock, restore your 4.1.2 backup.
    i try this trick but after i wrote that code and then i tap network lock,he told me ''menu not exist press back key''
    i have a galaxy s3 from Orange Romania with Android 4.1.2
    already i tryied with 4.0 and 4.1...same problem

what can i do?

If you follow this to the end then you are all good.....make sure you get the 118640 code... if you get 118630, you have probably locked it again....

Main Menu > [1] UMTS > [1] Debug Screen > [8] Phone Control > [6] Network Lock > Options [3]Perso SHA256 OFF > (after choosing this option, wait about 30 seconds, then go back one step by pressing the Menu button then select Back, now you are in [6] Network Lock then choose [4] NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ .....

u should see SHA256_ENABLE_FLAG[0] SHA256_OFF NOT CHANGE, touch SHA256_ENABLE_FLAG[0] and wait

After last step (touch SHA256_ENABLE_FLAG[0] to get:

MENU NOT EXIST
    PRESS BACK KEY
    Current Command is 118640
    ...wait...

press (Menu -> Back)

PERSO_NV_INIT is processing

then

PERSO_NV_INIT is SUCCESSFUL

From site http://forums.redflagdeals.com/free...2-all-gsm-carriers-galaxy-rugby-bell-1266487/