[DEV][PLEASE_CONTINUE][Sense 4.1]Common Sense

Search This thread

elias2204

Nov 6, 2011
Nijmegen
Multitask?

I just installed this rom, everything is working silky smooth(even wifi and bluetooth!), but unfortunately I can't get my phone to go to the multitasking tray. I tried holding and clicking all of the buttons, but no luck...

Does anybody have a solution to this? :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, here we go...

This is not the way I wanted to post this thread, but fate was stronger than me :)

Guys, I spent last several months working on a stable Sense 4.1 base for our HD2. I succeeded in a lot of things. I got BT working. I got mic working in applications. I got this damn thing running smoother than my wife's Galaxy S3 (I'm not kidding)...

So, yesterday my HD2 died on me. For the second time. I can't afford to fix it anymore, I don't have neither time nor money for that. Mainly time... So, unfortunately, I have to stop the development right here.

Someone, please take it from here. It would be a real pity for me if this ROM died together with my HD2.

Guys, as you can see further in this thread, someone donated a fully working HD2 to me. Just like that. For free.
    If you ask me, this is an act of an incredible generousity.

Thanks a million, Legion.X. I'm still to find a way to thank you.

Let the development continue!

Introducing Common Sense 4.1

link to ver. 0.2:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/75m6jwtcq28gg8u/CommonSense41_next.zip

please test and comment.

previous versions:

what works:
    * full Sense 4.1. almost everything works. daily driver.
    * silky smooth, as good as native. flies at 20-30FPS with live wallpaper, probably around 60FPS with still wallpaper
    * fast and snappy.
    * sound recording works. voice input works. BT works.
    * full 3D Rosie
    * live wallpapers, Sense lockscreens etc.
    * EXT2 over YAFFS loop (works automatically out of the box)
    * should be snappier than ver. 0.1

known problems:
    * it does reboot randomly from time to time. I'm looking for ways to solve these... looks like we'll end up recompiling libs from source.
    ANYONE WHO HAS EXPERIENCE AND/OR WORKING ENVIRONMENT TO RECOMPILE FILES FROM SOURCE, PLEASE PM ME. My goal is to take gralloc sources from CM9 and adapt them for sense. but I don't have linux and don't have the toolchain set up. I'd appreciate any help with this.

* probably won't work in full NAND on TMOUS. anyone who wishes to participate, please try to install on TMOUS without sd-ext and report what you get. logcats are most welcome!

* WiFi router doesn't work. Custom routers from Play Store should work.
    * Video shooting works at 15FPS. Don't know if that can be fixed... for me 15FPS is fine anyway

next steps:
    * hopefully fix some of the crashes
    * fix terrible lags during initial configuration and in the setup wizard
    * improve Rosie (I know how to make it even smoother :) )
    * try crossbreeder
    * install XPosed framework
    * please suggest more things to improve!

installation:
    * BACKUP!!!
    * IMPORTANT: you need CWM 3.0.0.6.. Other recoveries may or may not work. voronkov_pavel reports that CWM touch recovery beta 8 does not work with this ROM.
    * REMEMBER: for Data On Ext, keep your system partition small! philliped364 reports that 55MB works just fine
    * install Common Sense from recovery
    * reboot. the first boot will take a while (although it's waaaay faster than in other ROMs thanks to odexing). should boot in 2-3 minutes. if it doesn't boot within 10 minutes, please report
    * wait for the lockscreen to appear. DON'T PULL THE RING YET!
    * make some coffee. let your HD2 settle down for at least half an hour
    * pull the ring to unlock. if the setup wizard does not appear immediately, don't touch the device for another half an hour. if the device reboots by itself, please report.
    * complete the setup wizard. it will lag. please be patient. DON'T SIGN IN TO YOUR GOOGLE ACCOUNT YET! finish the wizard and let Sense load.
    * wait for two minutes and reboot
    * let it settle down for another half an hour. it will optimize the databases during that phase. don't try to work with the device. it will lag terribly.
    * unlock, go to Settings -> developer's settings, scroll down, disable "force GPU rendering"
    * reboot
    * your device should be fully functional now. now go to Settings -> accounts and sign it to your google account, email and whatever you like

big thanks to Legion.X (for sending me his HD2 for free), philliped346 (for his immense help and making my ROM nativeSD), saurabhrendale (for his incredible animations), Mr Evil (for letting me kang sound files from his EvoHD2 ROM), ckpv5 (for letting me kang Sense files from his MyOneDx ROM), dorimanx (for his kernel), RobbieP, ya5, aazzam16661, Daekin and many, many others for helping me out.

Some technical details about the ROM:

Config: Data on Ext, DB on NAND, looped over EXT2.
    System: mostly taken from other Sense 4.1 devices, proprietary files taken from several half-working Sense 4.x ROMs flying around here. Sound system taken from EvoHD2 ROM (yeah, CM9). Credits to Mr Evil for these files.
    Kernel: Dorimanx 7.2 HWA (credits to Dori please)
    Framework: stock Desire X ROM as a base, heavily modified to work with CM9 sound system, heavily optimized for smoothness.
    Sense: mostly myONEdx RC4.0 FX+ ROM. Rosie modified by me. Some files taken from stock Desire X ROM.

A word about kanging:
    my goal is to create a stable Sense 4.1 base for HD2. feel free to kang anything you find here. just please PLEASE give proper credits. don't forget the guys who gave me some of the files: Mr Evil (creator of the EvoHD2 ROM) and ckpv5 (creator of the MyOneDx ROM)

NOTE for DEVs:
    I was stunned to discover that DISABLING HW acceleration makes scrolling silky-smooth in 99% of the applications. Exceptions are: Rosie, Browser and... uh... that's it, I think. So, I REVERSED the way framework enables HW acceleration. Here's how: if the application doesn't request HW acceleration, it doesn't get it by default. If it requests it (HWAcceleration=true in the manifest), it DOESN'T get it either. If hwAcceleration=false in manifest, it DOES get it. This way, I only had to modify Rosie and the Browser and set hwAcceleration=false for them to actually GET the acceleration. The other apps just denied the acceleration natively. Please be aware of this change :)

Enjoy.
    Report bugs.
    May the Force be with you :)
    Well, here we go...

This is not the way I wanted to post this thread, but fate was stronger than me :)

Guys, I spent last several months working on a stable Sense 4.1 base for our HD2. I succeeded in a lot of things. I got BT working. I got mic working in applications. I got this damn thing running smoother than my wife's Galaxy S3 (I'm not kidding)...

So, yesterday my HD2 died on me. For the second time. I can't afford to fix it anymore, I don't have neither time nor money for that. Mainly time... So, unfortunately, I have to stop the development right here.

Someone, please take it from here. It would be a real pity for me if this ROM died together with my HD2.

Here's the link. Enjoy.
    http://d-h.st/7MZ

Disclaimer:
    Frankly, I don't even know if it boots the way it is now. I was in the middle of something when this happened. Most probably, it will just work though.

Technical details:
    Config: Data on Ext, DB on NAND, looped over EXT2. Yeah, it's returded fast.
    System: mostly taken from other Sense 4.1 devices, proprietary files taken from several half-working Sense 4.x ROMs flying around here. Sound system taken from EvoHD2 ROM (yeah, CM9). Credits to Mr Evil for these files.
    Kernel: Dorimanx 7.2 HWA (credits to Dori please)
    Framework: stock Desire X ROM as a base, heavily modified to work with CM9 sound system, heavily optimized for smoothness.

NOTE for DEVs:
    I was stunned to discover that DISABLING HW acceleration makes scrolling silky-smooth in 99% of the applications. Exceptions are: Rosie, Browser and... uh... that's it, I think. So, I REVERSED the way framework enables HW acceleration. Here's how: if the application doesn't request HW acceleration, it doesn't get it by default. If it requests it (HWAcceleration=true in the manifest), it DOESN'T get it either. If hwAcceleration=false in manifest, it DOES get it. This way, I only had to modify Rosie and the Browser and set hwAcceleration=false for them to actually GET the acceleration. The other apps just denied the acceleration natively. Please be aware of this change :)

Sense: stock Desire X ROM. I've got permission to use MyOne ROM (see Desire X forum), it has full 3D effects enabled and runs smooth as silk on HD2 (it's pretty damn smooth even with live wallpapers!)

What should work:
    Everything. I know that WiFi router doesn't work, but that's it, more or less. Video shooting works at 15FPS. Sound recording works. Voice input works. BT works.

Known problems:
    It does crash from time to time. Needs more work on system files. I was planning to recompile gralloc from CM9 to use it here, but didn't have the privilege to finish that.

For EXT2 loop to work, one needs to add creation of an empty data.img file in /Data/Data folder. Make it as big as possible. Format it for Ext2. The rest will be done by init.rc

............. Well, that's it. I'll be watching this thread. Don't ask me to develop anything though, I can't do anything without a working HD2. Sorry guys and good luck to anyone who will take it from here.

Bye
    I will continue your hard work with Daekin
    I've been working on Desire X Sense 4.1 port so, this will fix BT for us(build prop)

Thanks
    I am working on special NAND installation. When I have a version that will be fully functioning and stable enough, I will release it for public testing.
    hey guys and gals,

there we go
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/75m6jwtcq28gg8u/CommonSense41_next.zip
    let's call this version 0.2, and the one in the OP version 0.1 :)

please test and comment.

what works:
    everything that worked in 0.1
    full 3D
    live wallpapers, Sense lockscreens etc. it's full Sense 4.1
    EXT2 over YAFFS loop (works automatically out of the box)
    should be snappier than ver. 0.1

known problems:
    it does reboot randomly from time to time. looks like there are two distinct problems that lead to reboot:
    * out of memory exception
    * crashes in gralloc
    I'm looking for ways to solve these... looks like we'll end up recompiling libs from source.
    ANYONE WHO HAS EXPERIENCE AND/OR WORKING ENVIRONMENT TO RECOMPILE FILES FROM SOURCE, PLEASE PM ME. My goal is to take gralloc from CM9 and adapt them for sense. but I don't have linux and don't have the toolchain set up. I'd appreciate any help with this.

probably won't work in full NAND on TMOUS. anyone who wishes to participate, please try to install on TMOUS without sd-ext and report what you get. logcats are most welcome!

next steps:
    * hopefully fix some of the crashes
    * fix terrible lags during initial configuration and in the setup wizard
    * try crossbreeder
    * install XPosed framework
    * please suggest more things to improve!

installation:
    * BACKUP!!!
    * install Common Sense from recovery
    * reboot. the first boot will take a while (although it's waaaay faster than in other ROMs thanks to odexing). if it doesn't boot within 10 minutes, please report
    * wait for the lockscreen to appear. DON'T PULL THE RING YET!
    * make some coffee. let your HD2 settle down for at least half an hour
    * pull the ring to unlock. if the setup wizard does not appear immediately, don't touch the device for another half an hour. if the device reboots by itself, please report.
    * complete the setup wizard. it will lag. please be patient. DON'T SIGN IN TO YOUR GOOGLE ACCOUNT YET! finish the wizard and let Sense load.
    * wait for two minutes and reboot
    * let it settle down for another half an hour. it will optimize the databases during that phase. don't try to work with the device. it will lag terribly.
    * unlock, go to Settings -> developer's settings, scroll down, disable "force GPU rendering"
    * reboot
    * your device should be fully functional now. now go to Settings -> accounts and sign it to your google account, email and whatever you like

Enjoy.
    Report bugs.
    May the Force be with you :)
    Guys, I'm doing something I never thought I would do :)
    but I really want to continue this development...

I'm shamelessly adding a "Donate to me" button, so anyone who wants to help can send me a couple of bucks. my target is to raise enough money to buy either a used HD2 in a fair condition, or a new touch screen assembly.
    I hereby promise not to buy myself a new house with this money or spend it on gambling :)

(adding this to the OP as well)