[Q] [POLL] Would you buy the HTC Flyer if it shipped with Honeycomb?

Would you buy the Flyer if it shipped with Honeycomb?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

bcmobile

Jan 9, 2009
Sydney
I was wondering how many of you might be put off by the fact that the Flyer is shipping with Gingerbread and not Honeycomb - even though it will get Honeycomb later.

Appreciate the feedback.

marygladys

Oct 26, 2008
I love the idea of the scribe technology, but considering how small it is and battery life....plus it is not shipping with Honeycomb and the price is going to be higher than comparable devices....

It's sad as I have owned only HTC phones. I love their quality.

The scribe technology I LOVE! I can see so many added benefits of this - especially in syncing with Evernote. I also see a benefit with those having children.

tasty-xda

Apr 14, 2010
I love the idea of the scribe technology,

There were some internal docs from either bestbuy or costco that were reporting a 10.1" screen edition as well later in the summer.

I'd pay top dollar for Scribe + 10.1". There is a serious dearth of handwriting systems for android. Now if we could just get an OCR input system (e.g. Graffiti for the old Palm PDAs). I've seen a demo of scribe, and it doesn't look like it does input analog>digital, maybe I'm missing something. Still better than nothing.

peacekeeper05

Dec 22, 2010
Velenzuela, Metro Manila
There was also one more interesting quip about Android 3.0 in Eldar’s article. According to him, if a hardware partner releases the tablet on Android 2.x version of OS, as per licensing agreement for Android 3.0, they are not allowed to update Android 2.x tablets to 3.0 version.

so if the news(rumors) are true, htc flyer won't be getting any honeycomb due to licensing issues?

source: http://www.unwiredview.com/2011/03/27/google-nexus-tablet-with-android-3-x-to-be-made-by-lg-android-2-x-tablets-wont-upgrade-to-3-0/

bcmobile

Jan 9, 2009
Sydney

I'd say that is probably just a rumour. I've not heard it from any other source. The article at unwiredreview is the only article that author has written and his dubious source of information is a Russian website that he links to :rolleyes:

Also this from a far more reliable source:

From @HTC
@Farhadinho Absolutely. We are committed to offering a Honeycomb upgrade as soon as possible after Flyer's release.

Edit: Whether or not Google are restricting froyo-honeycomb upgrades, it seems the Flyer has got the green light:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/HTC-...r&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter_web

Last edited:

swedishcancerboi

Jan 13, 2009
What's all the hype over Honeycomb? I mean, what features do you gain other than all the overhype of being "tablet optimized. "

From my experience with the Xoom, tablet optimized means crashes at will and won't run crap......

Tabbed on my Galaxy 987

bcmobile

Jan 9, 2009
Sydney
What's all the hype over Honeycomb? I mean, what features do you gain other than all the overhype of being "tablet optimized. "

From my experience with the Xoom, tablet optimized means crashes at will and won't run crap......

Tabbed on my Galaxy 987

I agreee - I'd rather wait for a stable version.

The Xoom is a worst case scenario. Made by Motorola, released prematurely.

The main benefit I see from Honeycomb is apps which are designed to run on larger screens, instead or "over-inflated" phone apps

noord453

Feb 24, 2009
Great I can't wait, however....

I can't wait for this tablet to come to market. Ofcourse there will be things I do not like, one is the fact it is not a phone. It is a tablet, and I want a tablet also to be a phone. Since it has 3g enabled I think a phone application is not hard to install. Any ideas on this?

combat goofwing

Mar 3, 2009
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Was all for the flyer as I'm a massive HTC fan ,but just ordered the ASUS transformer as it suits my want for a tablet and the need for a net book for the kids and it has honeycomb already and has good reviews

LEEDROID DESIRE HD using XDA PREMIUM

brilldoctor

Aug 6, 2010
Won't be buying due to the fact that I already have a galaxy tab (Big Mistake!!) Although the design and ui of the flyer look good, along with the fact that htc are good with updates, and a lot of people I have talked too like the pen. Not sure about the onlive myself due to the fact that you have to use a onlive controller (what are you meant to do with the tablet if the controller is in both hands?)

tht13

Dec 25, 2010
Stavanger
Not sure about the onlive myself due to the fact that you have to use a onlive controller (what are you meant to do with the tablet if the controller is in both hands?)
The idea is that you stream the game to your tv, so the flyer just replaces the normal onlive box that is sold, playing games on the flyer screen is also possible, but i agree that it sounds somewhat difficult :/ maybe they are going to sell some sort of case/stand like the Xoom and iPad have

but yes all the rumors suggest (from staples leaked sheets that a 10 and 8.9 inch honeycomb tablet from htc are coming this june, maybe thats when flyer will get update :)
id like to see what they do to sense considering there is that base bar on the honeycomb though :p

jgutz20

Mar 26, 2008
HTC Flyer (Evo View)

I'm disappointed in HTC's first tablet. Just the screen size is what disappoints me. Wondering why they dont add the 3D into it like the G-Slate has, after all they are coming out with a new EVO3d that i will be picking up once released!. Companies are struggling to separate themselves from everyone else when these android tablets are going to start looking identical, but HTC has their SenseUI and now Scribe which in my book gives them the edge! I'm just excited to see what happens with 3rd party firmware tweaking for performance to eliminate the possibility of skipping. MikFroyo and Fresh both have wonderful Firmwares that made my Evo many times better in terms of performance while clearing out the clutter

tht13

Dec 25, 2010
Stavanger
The LG tablet does not have a 3some screen, only 3d camera, a 3some screen of that size would add a lot of extra cost, it just wouldn't be worth it, but yes a bigger screen would have been a better choice by htc, but then again if you look at the first Android phones they made and compare them to what they have now....great things I predict to come :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

bcmobile

Jan 9, 2009
Sydney
Game over for me. I just cancelled my preorder since the release date is going to slip again. Im travelling early June and want to make sure I have something to travel with so I ordered the Galaxy Tab 10.1v which I can pick up in a week or so.

Im gutted really! I really wanted a 7" tablet and REALLY wanted a HTC. I will check back here and see what you guys think of it after release *sniff*

Last edited: