[HOW-TO]Use the Stock Android System Recovery on the Nexus 10

Search This thread

shimp208

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 25, 2011
Boston
Introduction

The purpose of this guide is to help users understand how to use the default Android System Recovery <3e> image that is installed on the Nexus 10. Note that if you have already installed a custom recovery image such as Clockworkmod Recovery (CWMR) or Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) this will overwrite the stock default Android System Recovery. This guide will teach you how to access recovery mode, and how to use all the features of the default Android System Recovery <3e>.

What is Recovery Mode?

Recovery mode is a special environment that you can boot into for troubleshooting and upgrading purposes such as applying an update, performing a factory reset, or wiping the cache partition.

How to Access Recovery Mode

Recovery mode can be accessed in one of two ways by pressing a key combination or using adb. When you enter recovery mode the recovery options menu will be hidden and you will see an Android lying on it's back with a red triangle exclamation point. To show the recovery menu simultaneously hold the Power Button + Volume Up buttons.

Key Combination Method

The first way of accessing recovery mode is by pressing a key combination simultaneously. For the Nexus 10 recovery mode can be accessed by simultaneously holding the Power Button + Volume Up + Volume Down buttons. To show the recovery menu simultaneously hold the Power Button + Volume Up buttons.

ADB Method

The second way of accessing recovery mode is by issuing the following ADB (If you don't know what ADB is you can learn more about it here) command:

Code:
adb reboot recovery

To show the recovery menu simultaneously hold the Power Button + Volume Up buttons.

Using the Recovery Menu Options

When the recovery menu appears you will be presented with a menu selection that appears similar to this:

Code:
Android system recovery <3e>

Volume up/down to move highlight:
power button to select.

------------------------------------
reboot system now
apply update from ADB
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition

The volume up and volume down button can be used to highlight different options and the power button can be used to confirm your selection.

Reboot system now

The reboot system now option will exit recovery mode and reboot the tablet normally starting the normal Android operating system.

Apply update from ADB

The apply update from ADB option allows you to sideload a stock Android update to your device using ADB without the need for root access or a custom recovery (Note: You will need a custom recovery to flash a custom ROM, custom kernel, or other modifications, this only meant to apply official Google updates).

Prior to using the "apply update from adb" option you must make sure you have installed the Nexus 10 USB drivers, installed ADB, and made sure "USB Debugging" is checked under developer settings within Android. Once you have done these things from ADB issue the following command:

Code:
adb sideload <path/to/update.zip>

Where path/to/update.zip is the location on your computer that the update file is stored at and update.zip is the name of the file. An example using adb to sideload an update:

Code:
adb sideload JDQ39.zip

After you enter the sideload command the file should transfer to your device and once it is done transferring it will begin the update process. Once it has completed the update process, reboot your device.

Wipe data/factory reset

The wipe data/factory reset option erases the contents of /data partition as well as the /cache partition. This will erase any apps, pictures, music, data etc. you have stored on /data partition in addition to erasing the /cache partition. This will not erase your /system partition.

Wipe cache partition

The wipe cache partition erases the contents of /cache partition. Wiping the /cache partition is one common way of fixing a bootloop.

Conclusion​

I hope that the contents of this guide have been helpful to you and that you have enjoyed this how to :).

kareemyas

Apr 24, 2013
Nexus 10 - Google Play and Internal storage not accessible

Your explanation on recovery was useful. Thanks

My son rooted his new nexus 10 in january and reinstalled stock rom back again. After reinstallation, google play and the internal storage were not accessible. So the device could not install any new apps from Google and the Camera could not be used. When trying to open the camera it gives an error asking to install mass storage.

I too installed google stock rom both versions 4.2.2 and 4.2.1, formatted and wiped /data/media/ and /cache partitions several times but the end result is the same. Only some basic apps like gmail and chrome browser works.
Tried using different user id to log in , still there was no solution.

I was able to push and pull files into /data/media/ successfully. I learnt in one of the forum that /data/media/ is also named as /sdcard/ , i tried to write a fole to /sdcard/ folder it didn't work. So what's the problem with google play and internal storage? Is there anything I can do in the system folder to set it right.

Reactions: gunner1937

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
Is there anything I can do in the system folder to set it right.

Were you trying to restore the stock factory image? Did you have a custom recovery installed? It sounds like in the process of restoring the stock factory image it didn't restore properly and that's likely what's causing your problem with storage and camera. I would recommend restoring your tablet to stock by flashing the nexus 10 factory image for 4.2.2 https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/mantaray-jdq39-factory-d79f489e.tgz.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

Reactions: Bait-Fish

kareemyas

Apr 24, 2013
I flashed into Stock Recovery and flashed the factory Google Image for 4.2.2, same from your link. Update runs without error. But the problem is still there.

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
I flashed into Stock Recovery and flashed the factory Google Image for 4.2.2, same from your link. Update runs without error. But the problem is still there.

Interesting, even after using fastboot to erase all the partitions and then using fastboot to flash the factory image your storage problem still persists correct? Have you encountered this problem before you root the tablet?

Aleq

Apr 6, 2008
Just a note for everybody trying to get into recovery menu with wipe data etc. It's a bit tricky. First, get into the Recovery (lying robot) as described above. And then press briefly all three buttons (power+vol up+vol down) at the same time. If nothing happens, try again and again and again. You'll get there eventually. It requires some practice to press all those buttons at exactly same time. Holding them won't help.

Reactions: cburn

raj_

Dec 4, 2013
I cant get to normal mode after installing cwm recovery

I have flashed cwmr in my micromax A25. but i cant get to normal mode after that. When i reboot to normal mode it stuck with the micromax logo and i cannot get back to normal mode. I tried many times, but i cant get back to my normal mode. Can anyone help me to solve this issue?

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
I have flashed cwmr in my micromax A25. but i cant get to normal mode after that. When i reboot to normal mode it stuck with the micromax logo and i cannot get back to normal mode. I tried many times, but i cant get back to my normal mode. Can anyone help me to solve this issue?

Try wiping cache in recovery mode and see if that helps, if it doesn't resolve the problem I would re-flash the stock recovery image for your phone and see if that fixes it.

cma371

Dec 16, 2010
Can you flash a custom recovery while in stock recovery (adb sideload) and not rooted?

phipps_2000

Apr 18, 2011
Couple questions about stock revoery

1. Does adb option have root access? Or can it get it?
2. Will the adb option allow you to issue fastboot command?
3. If adb can't get root option how does it do the update?

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
1. Does adb option have root access? Or can it get it?
2. Will the adb option allow you to issue fastboot command?
3. If adb can't get root option how does it do the update?

To answer your questions:

1. You can restart the ADB daemon as root, by running the command adb root provided it is enabled in the build. Keep in mind stock recovery adb access other then sideload doesn't always work.
2. ADB and Fastboot are two separate things, you will need to boot the device into the bootloader in order to issue Fastboot commands to the device.
3. I assume you are talking about adb sideload, the process that performs the sideload operation runs as root through kernel level operations (File permissions and otherwise). Overall the whole sideload operation is coded into the recovery to allow it to be performed with the necessary file permissions and processes.

If you have any further questions let me know I'll be happy to help you out.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction

The purpose of this guide is to help users understand how to use the default Android System Recovery <3e> image that is installed on the Nexus 10. Note that if you have already installed a custom recovery image such as Clockworkmod Recovery (CWMR) or Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) this will overwrite the stock default Android System Recovery. This guide will teach you how to access recovery mode, and how to use all the features of the default Android System Recovery <3e>.

What is Recovery Mode?

Recovery mode is a special environment that you can boot into for troubleshooting and upgrading purposes such as applying an update, performing a factory reset, or wiping the cache partition.

How to Access Recovery Mode

Recovery mode can be accessed in one of two ways by pressing a key combination or using adb. When you enter recovery mode the recovery options menu will be hidden and you will see an Android lying on it's back with a red triangle exclamation point. To show the recovery menu simultaneously hold the Power Button + Volume Up buttons.

Key Combination Method

The first way of accessing recovery mode is by pressing a key combination simultaneously. For the Nexus 10 recovery mode can be accessed by simultaneously holding the Power Button + Volume Up + Volume Down buttons. To show the recovery menu simultaneously hold the Power Button + Volume Up buttons.

ADB Method

The second way of accessing recovery mode is by issuing the following ADB (If you don't know what ADB is you can learn more about it here) command:

Code:
    adb reboot recovery

To show the recovery menu simultaneously hold the Power Button + Volume Up buttons.

Using the Recovery Menu Options

When the recovery menu appears you will be presented with a menu selection that appears similar to this:

Code:
    Android system recovery <3e>

Volume up/down to move highlight:
    power button to select.

reboot system now
    apply update from ADB
    wipe data/factory reset
    wipe cache partition

The volume up and volume down button can be used to highlight different options and the power button can be used to confirm your selection.

Reboot system now

The reboot system now option will exit recovery mode and reboot the tablet normally starting the normal Android operating system.

Apply update from ADB

The apply update from ADB option allows you to sideload a stock Android update to your device using ADB without the need for root access or a custom recovery (Note: You will need a custom recovery to flash a custom ROM, custom kernel, or other modifications, this only meant to apply official Google updates).

Prior to using the "apply update from adb" option you must make sure you have installed the Nexus 10 USB drivers, installed ADB, and made sure "USB Debugging" is checked under developer settings within Android. Once you have done these things from ADB issue the following command:

Code:
    adb sideload <path/to/update.zip>

Where path/to/update.zip is the location on your computer that the update file is stored at and update.zip is the name of the file. An example using adb to sideload an update:

Code:
    adb sideload JDQ39.zip

After you enter the sideload command the file should transfer to your device and once it is done transferring it will begin the update process. Once it has completed the update process, reboot your device.

Wipe data/factory reset

The wipe data/factory reset option erases the contents of /data partition as well as the /cache partition. This will erase any apps, pictures, music, data etc. you have stored on /data partition in addition to erasing the /cache partition. This will not erase your /system partition.

Wipe cache partition

The wipe cache partition erases the contents of /cache partition. Wiping the /cache partition is one common way of fixing a bootloop.

Conclusion​

I hope that the contents of this guide have been helpful to you and that you have enjoyed this how to :).
    Nexus 10 - Google Play and Internal storage not accessible

Your explanation on recovery was useful. Thanks

My son rooted his new nexus 10 in january and reinstalled stock rom back again. After reinstallation, google play and the internal storage were not accessible. So the device could not install any new apps from Google and the Camera could not be used. When trying to open the camera it gives an error asking to install mass storage.

I too installed google stock rom both versions 4.2.2 and 4.2.1, formatted and wiped /data/media/ and /cache partitions several times but the end result is the same. Only some basic apps like gmail and chrome browser works.
    Tried using different user id to log in , still there was no solution.

I was able to push and pull files into /data/media/ successfully. I learnt in one of the forum that /data/media/ is also named as /sdcard/ , i tried to write a fole to /sdcard/ folder it didn't work. So what's the problem with google play and internal storage? Is there anything I can do in the system folder to set it right.
    Is there anything I can do in the system folder to set it right.

Were you trying to restore the stock factory image? Did you have a custom recovery installed? It sounds like in the process of restoring the stock factory image it didn't restore properly and that's likely what's causing your problem with storage and camera. I would recommend restoring your tablet to stock by flashing the nexus 10 factory image for 4.2.2 https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/mantaray-jdq39-factory-d79f489e.tgz.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

Interesting, even after using fastboot to erase all the partitions and then using fastboot to flash the factory image your storage problem still persists correct? Have you encountered this problem before you root the tablet?
    There was no problem before the rooting.

If your device is still giving you problems with the internal storage after flashing the Nexus 10 factory image (Through fastboot) multiple times it is possible a hardware issue has arisen in which case warranty would be your best option.