Official Release 4.4.2 KitKat (NC4) Change Log & Observations

Search This thread

anticloud

Mar 25, 2014
Chicago Area
5 GHz hotspot in NC2, for sure

The Official Release of KitKat 4.4.2 (NC4) for the Verizon Note 3 (SM-N900V) is now available and the official change log is HERE. However, that is the change log details changes from 4.3 to 4.4.2(NC4).

As someone who installed Beans pre-rooted version of the prior 4.4.2 leak (NC2), I'm curious as to the difference between the NC2 & NC4.

I haven't done any scientific tests, but NC4 certainly seems snappier and more responsive than the NC2 leak.

Also, I had three specific issues with the (NC2) build and all seem to be resolved in NC4...at least so far. First, the NC2 modem was worse than the MJ7 or MJE versions, but the NC4 modem seems as good, if not better than all the ohers. Second, the screen rotation would occasionally stop responding and get stuck in one mode or the other and only a reboot would fix it. And third, the auto brightness didn't work very well, if at all. After five (5) full days of running NC4 with Root I'm not having any issues and this seems to be the most stable and most responsive build yet. Also, battery use is almost identical to what I was getting before...although I probably have been using the phone more just testing it out and setting everything up the way I want it.

Also @anticloud pointed out that now when you setup your hotspot, if you select advanced options, you can now choose between creating a 2.4GHz and 5GHz hotspot. I don't believe that option was available before, but I never checked it in NC2.

Please post any info you have on undocumented changes from NC2 to NC4 and/or any personal experiences you've noticed between the two.

Thanks in Advance!

*** Take the advice of all the great developers and DO NOT install NC4 until they've had a chance to check it out and pre-root it! ***

Most Definitely in NC2 - NICE, NICE, NICE!!! and works great - here is a link to a speed test (from my pc) using the 5 GHz hotspot - http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/507999364.png

Reactions: edwmsjr

MeridianSun

Apr 3, 2011
Bluetooth share is eating my battery up and titanium backup can't write to my SD card now....

Sent from my Note 3

idemorolize

Aug 18, 2013
It's there A root method for this update
I've never been rooted would the 4.3 steps work for 4.4?

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app

LexusBrian400

Mar 22, 2010
NC4 modem has been amazing for me. I have an 11dBm increase! (-108) compared to (-119) and less dropped calls. Fantastic. Very impressed. I've had about 8 Android phones over the past 4 years and this is the best signal strength and speed that I've ever had. When I visited an XLTE area a few days ago I was downloading at 70+MBPS. UNREAL

DaPoets

Jul 10, 2007
Beverly Hills, CA
Second, the screen rotation would occasionally stop responding and get stuck in one mode or the other and only a reboot would fix it. And third, the auto brightness didn't work very well, if at all. After five (5) full days of running NC4 with Root I'm not having any issues and this seems to be the most stable and most responsive build yet.

+1 for the rotation issues (VERY ANNOYING) and the auto brightness not being very reliable.

hsbadr

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 18, 2014
You can use this to flash NC4 modem and recovery without losing the unique benefits of the leaked NC2 bootloader (e.g., downgradability and the possibility to use "kexec" to skip the bootloader and directly load a custom kernel). The ability to downgrade gives an option to reroot when needed. NC2 firmware with NC4 modem and recovery works very well for me without any bug or glitch.

Edit: A safe upgrade to NC4 is available here.

Last edited:

thedon781978

May 22, 2014
nc2

I have yet to try nc4. However, I have been using nc2 for a week now. My phone works great for a few hours then gets hot, slow, and real laggy. Restart usually does the trick and a battery pull makes it work even longer but gets annoying after a few days of 2 to 3 restarts per day. Has anybody had this problem and had it fixed when switching to nc4?

airmaxx23

Jun 25, 2010
Colton, NY
I have yet to try nc4. However, I have been using nc2 for a week now. My phone works great for a few hours then gets hot, slow, and real laggy. Restart usually does the trick and a battery pull makes it work even longer but gets annoying after a few days of 2 to 3 restarts per day. Has anybody had this problem and had it fixed when switching to nc4?

Have you tried installing it again and leaving it mostly stock to eliminate the possibility of it being caused by one of your apps?

haupman

May 4, 2011
Disabled Playing Videos Through MHL

How come no one has mentioned we can no longer play videos through MHL/HDMI after this update? Does anyone else have this problem or even use this?

bigdad1963

Nov 20, 2011
Bluffton/Hilton Head area
Kitkat hasn't been kind at all to my data speeds or signals. I was in the mid 20's with dl speeds and now I am 10-12 and I was 97-99 signal strength and now I am 106 107. I have tried both radios and am seriously thinking about trying to go back to jb.:mad:

Sportster1

Oct 27, 2013
Ok, I'd really like to try out the new NC4 but I'm really confused. I need the newer radios, badly, if they're really giving better signal strength. I'm rooted and obviously want to keep that. What is the 'leaked NC2'?? I thought it was the stock rom? Does NC4 have the newer, better radios in it? I do not have Safestrap, is that needed?? I'm seeing JasmineNC4 whatever that is. Is that the stock NC4 hacked to allow rooting??? I've also seen the altered NC4 that keeps root. I'm confused on which one to 'safely' do so I keep root. Don't want to end up going to the wrong one that isn't NC4 but some dev ROM that's radically modified. I've also heard that you can accept the OTA NC4 from Verizon and keep root using the secure root function in SU???? I'm SO confused!!

edwmsjr

Mar 23, 2011
Virginia
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Ok, I'd really like to try out the new NC4 but I'm really confused. I need the newer radios, badly, if they're really giving better signal strength. I'm rooted and obviously want to keep that. What is the 'leaked NC2'?? I thought it was the stock rom? Does NC4 have the newer, better radios in it? I do not have Safestrap, is that needed?? I'm seeing JasmineNC4 whatever that is. Is that the stock NC4 hacked to allow rooting??? I've also seen the altered NC4 that keeps root. I'm confused on which one to 'safely' do so I keep root. Don't want to end up going to the wrong one that isn't NC4 but some dev ROM that's radically modified. I've also heard that you can accept the OTA NC4 from Verizon and keep root using the secure root function in SU???? I'm SO confused!!

The "leaked NC2" is a stock (factory) 4.4.2 rom that was leaked about two months ago that did not have a locked boot loader. It was the first taste of KitKat for VZW Note 3 users. It is...was...a 'stock' rom, but turned out not to be the final release.

NC4 was finally released as the "official", final stock KitKat rom for VZW Note 3's. NC4 does contain a newer radio/modem and a locked boot loader. Other than that, there is no change log to note the differences between NC2 & NC4...thus the creation of this thread. Some users have reported better results with the NC4 modem over the NC2 modem.

The Jasmine Rom is just a piece meal rom containing parts of NC2 and parts of NC4.

The only way to go completely with the new NC4 is to revert back to stock MJE, then root with Kingo, then install SuperSU and enable 'survival mode'. Then you can take the update and, if all goes well, you'll have the newest NC4 with root. However, all devs recommend not doing this because of the uncertainty of being able to flash custom kernels in the future.

So, for the only truly safe way to go to NC4 without giving up root and all of the benefits of an unlocked boot loader, you should watch this thread for beanstown106 to release a stock rooted version. When he does, it will read something like this: [ROM/ROOT][N900VVRUCNC4][4.4.2] Stock Root Odex/DeOdex [05/??/14]★

[ 1 2 3 ... Last ]

Last edited:

NeoMagus

Mar 3, 2010
East Coast
The "leaked NC2" is a stock (factory) 4.4.2 rom that was leaked about two months ago that did not have a locked boot loader.

This is not true.

The bootloader is still locked on NC2. What you mean, is that it wasn't incremented to prevent downgrade to MJE, and the big thing was kernel modules enabled, which may lead to kexec in the future (for ppl who DIDNT take the OTA).

Would have definitely been a much bigger deal if NC2 was fully unlocked, it's not though

Last edited:

hsbadr

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 18, 2014
The "leaked NC2" is a stock (factory) 4.4.2 rom that was leaked about two months ago that did not have a locked boot loader. It was the first taste of KitKat for VZW Note 3 users. It is...was...a 'stock' rom, but turned out not to be the final release.

NC4 was finally released as the "official", final stock KitKat rom for VZW Note 3's. NC4 does contain a newer radio/modem and a locked boot loader. Other than that, there is no change log to note the differences between NC2 & NC4...thus the creation of this thread. Some users have reported better results with the NC4 modem over the NC2 modem.

The Jasmine Rom is just a piece meal rom containing parts of NC2 and parts of NC4.

The only way to go completely with the new NC4 is to revert back to stock MJE, then root with Kingo, then install SuperSU and enable 'survival mode'. Then you can take the update and, if all goes well, you'll have the newest NC4 with root. However, all devs recommend not doing this because of the uncertainty of being able to flash custom kernels in the future.

So, for the only truly safe way to go to NC4 without giving up root and all of the benefits of an unlocked boot loader, you should watch this thread for beanstown106 to release a stock rooted version. When he does, it will read something like this

Many mistakes here.
1- NC2 bootloader is not incremented, but still locked.
2- JasmineROM v1.0 is fully stock official NC4 ROM (just deodexed & ported for NC2 bootloader). It includes all official NC4 system/cache/modem/recovery, but with NC2 boot.img & aboot.
3- You can always flash a stock rooted NC4 & NC4 firmware to upgrade with root. I can post the required files by yesterday!! but I don't want to make others lose the benefits of NC2 firmware. One VERY IMPORTANT reason to maintain the NC2 bootloader is when you flash a ROM or do a mistake that makes you lose the root or need to recover from a disaster. At this time, you'll have no way to reroot & on NC2 firmware, you can always roll back to JB MJE to reroot/recover & upgrade if you wish..

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i wish this thread had a "?" at the end of the title. with 700+ views i cant be the only one expecting to see the NC4 change log posted LOL
    The Official Release of KitKat 4.4.2 (NC4) for the Verizon Note 3 (SM-N900V) is now available and the official change log is HERE. However, that is the change log details changes from 4.3 to 4.4.2(NC4).

As someone who installed Beans pre-rooted version of the prior 4.4.2 leak (NC2), I'm curious as to the difference between the NC2 & NC4.

I haven't done any scientific tests, but NC4 certainly seems snappier and more responsive than the NC2 leak.

Also, I had three specific issues with the (NC2) build and all seem to be resolved in NC4...at least so far. First, the NC2 modem was worse than the MJ7 or MJE versions, but the NC4 modem seems as good, if not better than all the ohers. Second, the screen rotation would occasionally stop responding and get stuck in one mode or the other and only a reboot would fix it. And third, the auto brightness didn't work very well, if at all. After five (5) full days of running NC4 with Root I'm not having any issues and this seems to be the most stable and most responsive build yet. Also, battery use is almost identical to what I was getting before...although I probably have been using the phone more just testing it out and setting everything up the way I want it.

Also @anticloud pointed out that now when you setup your hotspot, if you select advanced options, you can now choose between creating a 2.4GHz and 5GHz hotspot. I don't believe that option was available before, but I never checked it in NC2.

Please post any info you have on undocumented changes from NC2 to NC4 and/or any personal experiences you've noticed between the two.

Thanks in Advance!

*** Take the advice of all the great developers and DO NOT install NC4 until they've had a chance to check it out and pre-root it! ***
    They forgot to mention a feature in 4.4.2

I haven't done any scientific tests, but NC4 certainly seems snappier and more responsive than the NC2 leak. Also, I had three specific issues with the (NC2) build and all seem to be resolved in NC4...at least so far. First, the modem was worse than the MJ7 or MJE versions, so I reverted to those. Second, the screen rotation would occasionally stop responding and get stuck in one mode or the other and only a reboot would fix it. And third, the auto brightness didn't work very well, if at all. So, I'm curious if any of those specific issues were addressed in the official NC4 release.

Thanks in Advance!

when you setup your hotspot, if you select advanced options, you can now choose between creating a 2.4GHz and 5GHz hotspot - nice
    I'm not sure if they will post a change log from NC2 -> NC4 but here I found this for NC4.. Pretty much says here is KitKat with updated bloatware...LOL

Update Features
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/system_update/galaxy-note-3-05-13-14.pdf

Update Instructions
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/system_update/galaxy-note-3-instructions-05-13-14.pdf
    Would you be able to point me in the right direction so I may purchase this adapter? I'm assuming you are not rooted and are running stock 4.4.2 on your VZW Note 3?

I am rooted, but using OTA 4.4.2 with nothing special added.

Look on samsung.com for this:

MHL 2.0 HDTV Smart Adapter - ET-H10FAUW

It's 39.99 on their site.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk