[KERNEL][AOSP] invisiblek-2.6.37.6-4 [UPDATED: June 11 2011]

Search This thread

invisiblek

Recognized Developer
Feb 24, 2010
Minnesota
www.invisiblek.org
This kernel is for AOSP Gingerbread roms for the Incredible only!

Do not flash with ROM Manager, it has been known to give very strange issues on this phone, boot into recovery and manually flash it.

Things I add from stock (I believe in a mostly vanilla kernel with smaller mods to improve battery life and, in some situations, performance)
-havs (hybrid adaptive voltage scaling)
-smartass cpu governor (capped at 384mhz while screen is off)
-smb329 enabled (fast charge)
-no debugging (for smaller kernel size)

Use kernel manager from the market to get this (unless you want to be stubborn and do it yourself)

Pulled -5 and -6, not working as expected

invisiblek 2.6.37.6-4:
-Updated to latest cm-kernel source (latest change was May 30th)
-smartass and havs settings grabbed from the popular .32 #28 kernel which should help us get some decent battery life
Download

ENJOY!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOURCE:
All of my source is at: http://github.com/invisiblek/cm-kernel/2.6.37_cm-kernel

We need to thank cyanogen, slayher, toastcfh, koush, cuviper, chad0989, cayniarb, vinylfreak89, seanzer, conap, jamezelle, and im sure others for all their help with this

Last edited:

invisiblek

Recognized Developer
Feb 24, 2010
Minnesota
www.invisiblek.org
FAQ:
Q: Will this work with Froyo?
A: Maybe, but probably not. I would recommend a .32 kernel since they are more stable at this time.

Q: My led turns green at 90% what gives? Please Fix!!
A: It always does that, been addressed a million times. Live with it

Q: Why is my cpu governor <x> when i set it to <y>?
A: <x> is probably the default (most roms set this in the ramdisk although the kernel does have a default setting, the ramdisk usually trumps it) youll have to re-set your governor after a reboot

Q: How can I help?
A: You can start by grabbing the source code from here

Q: What is havs?
A: from kingxklick's thread:
Code:
Also, a little info on HAVS and AVS:

The purpose of HAVS is to minimize the power used by the CPU by determining
and setting the optimal voltage. At the same time, the maximum voltage by
which HAVS can scale to is fixed to a specified voltage depending on the
CPU frequency in order to prevent scaling to a higher voltage than what is
normally used at a specified voltage. The optimal voltage is actively determined
for each frequency and temperature. HAVS actively adjusts the CPU voltage as the
CPU frequency and temperature changes.

Q: What is smartass?
A: The smartass governer drops drops the max cpu frequency when your screen is off (currently set to max 384mhz). It is very effective in saving battery life. (juice plotter is a good one for monitoring your battery life)

Last edited:

DS36

Apr 4, 2010
Florida
Put me down
Not much help with kernels but I can test and feed back

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

trunksta

Jun 12, 2010
Love to help. Currently running your#29 kernel along with omgb rom. Runs awesome but I know it can do more.

any theories as to why all the other kernels make touch input useless? I have an amoled incredible btw. Anything I can do to test or help develop something to work fully with 2.3.1 I'm all for it.

P.s. Anyone know anything about jit with gb? I never used it since I have used sense roms up to this point.

Sent from my Htc Incredible using Tapatalk

slayher

Mar 27, 2010
for now, check my github://github.com/invisiblek/cm-kernel

we need a dinc community developed kernel for gingerbread
anyone who wants to help, post up and lets get something going

http://github.com/slayher

I have a working kernel, with support for tethering, and mounting of both emmc and sdcards. Also my same changes were pushed to the CM/htc-kernel-incrediblec

Its not a .35 kernel, but it does have the gadget drivers backported.

trunksta

Jun 12, 2010

I have a working kernel, with support for tethering, and mounting of both emmc and sdcards. Also my same changes were pushed to the CM/htc-kernel-incrediblec

Doesn't the current included one support this? Does your kernel work with pc usb mounting without gscript?

Also personally I am looking for a stable oc version. Anyone had luck so far with any of this?

chad0989

Oct 31, 2010
Love to help. Currently running your#29 kernel along with omgb rom. Runs awesome but I know it can do more.

any theories as to why all the other kernels make touch input useless? I have an amoled incredible btw. Anything I can do to test or help develop something to work fully with 2.3.1 I'm all for it.

P.s. Anyone know anything about jit with gb? I never used it since I have used sense roms up to this point.

It's because you probably have a 004f touch controller. If you try to register more than 3 points on it, it won't function.

slayher

Mar 27, 2010
Doesn't the current included one support this? Does your kernel work with pc usb mounting without gscript?

Also personally I am looking for a stable oc version. Anyone had luck so far with any of this?

yes, this is the kernel I am using with the CM7 build for the DINC. CM7 mounts and tethers with out gscript.

execute_method

Jun 18, 2010
Outside Nashville

It's his kernel that is supplied with the cm7 builds.
Sent from my "girlfriend"... According to my wife.

Cayniarb

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
NOVA
Thanks for bringing this out to the full community! Hopefully we can get the ball moving a bit better on development now.

Also great to see pretty much every active kernel dev for the Inc posting in here, and a lot of other people interested in getting this going.

I'll keep pitching in however I can.

jtj1825

Dec 17, 2010
I also greatly appreciate all you kernel devs hard work and I look forward to the development of this kernel...I am a willing tester just waiting for a build to come out so I can report on it :)

invisiblek

Recognized Developer
Feb 24, 2010
Minnesota
www.invisiblek.org
#incredible on irc.andirc.net

please update your tree too, ive done some more work this morning
use arch/arm/mach-msm/invisiblek_incredible_defconfig as your .config

im down to one compile time error -- woot!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This kernel is for AOSP Gingerbread roms for the Incredible only!

Do not flash with ROM Manager, it has been known to give very strange issues on this phone, boot into recovery and manually flash it.

Things I add from stock (I believe in a mostly vanilla kernel with smaller mods to improve battery life and, in some situations, performance)
    -havs (hybrid adaptive voltage scaling)
    -smartass cpu governor (capped at 384mhz while screen is off)
    -smb329 enabled (fast charge)
    -no debugging (for smaller kernel size)

Use kernel manager from the market to get this (unless you want to be stubborn and do it yourself)

Pulled -5 and -6, not working as expected

invisiblek 2.6.37.6-4:
    -Updated to latest cm-kernel source (latest change was May 30th)
    -smartass and havs settings grabbed from the popular .32 #28 kernel which should help us get some decent battery life
    Download

ENJOY!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SOURCE:
    All of my source is at: http://github.com/invisiblek/cm-kernel/2.6.37_cm-kernel

We need to thank cyanogen, slayher, toastcfh, koush, cuviper, chad0989, cayniarb, vinylfreak89, seanzer, conap, jamezelle, and im sure others for all their help with this
    I'm glad there is so much active interest in this project, but I'm not sure a lot of the commenters here have a complete understanding of what exactly is going on, so I will try to explain as best I can...

There are two main (relevant) AOSP kernels being worked on/off of for the Incredible. The first is CyanogenMod/htc-kernel-incrediblec. This is 2.6.32 based kernel used in all CM ROMs and is often the base for the other AOSP kernels available here (for example, my Tiamat kernel was forked from that kernel a while ago and since added a lot of other features). This kernel also mirrors those from HTC and used for Sense (HTC's most recent kernel source for the Inc is 2.6.32.17). This kernel did not get a lot of active development for a while - the last major change was in late October or early November, incorporating some new material from HTC and upgrading it from 2.6.32.15 to 2.6.32.17. It remained idle for a while after that. In the last couple weeks, it has become more active, with users like slayher having commits pulled into it and backporting drivers from 2.6.35 kernels. With these recent changes, this kernel has become much more stable on 2.3 ROMs. The other AOSP kernels here dont really have those changes integrated because they branched off the main CM work and made lots of changes before these new drivers came out, making it more difficult to include those changes.

The other main kernel of relevance here is CyanogenMod/cm-kernel. This kernel has a longer history than is important here, but it is the current kernel used by the Nexus 1, the Desire (GSM and CDMA), the Evo, and maybe some others (can't remember) and is 2.6.35. It has become the 'unified' CM kernel, since you can compile kernels for various devices using the same source code. Basically, this kernel became 'unified' when toastcfh (Evo forum mod, and Evo CM maintainer) pretty much ported the N1's 2.6.35 kernel to the Evo.

What the devs here are trying to do is port the 'unified' 2.6.35 cm-kernel to the Incredible. We are all working out of insisiblek's github repository (see the OP for a link), and contributing commits to it. If you check it out, you'll see commits from me, invisiblek, slayher, and others.

We aren't trying to build some kind of customized/tweaked/souped up kernel (hence nobody caring at the moment about tweaked governors, HAVS, or any of that). Just one that works. Once that's done, each of the devs can go back to applying their own tweaks and competing for usershare (naturally with each of us telling you that our version is the best ;) ).

I hope this helps to give people a better idea of what exactly is going on here and why literally every kernel dev is trying to pitch in where they can.
    FAQ:
    Q: Will this work with Froyo?
    A: Maybe, but probably not. I would recommend a .32 kernel since they are more stable at this time.

Q: My led turns green at 90% what gives? Please Fix!!
    A: It always does that, been addressed a million times. Live with it

Q: Why is my cpu governor <x> when i set it to <y>?
    A: <x> is probably the default (most roms set this in the ramdisk although the kernel does have a default setting, the ramdisk usually trumps it) youll have to re-set your governor after a reboot

Q: How can I help?
    A: You can start by grabbing the source code from here

Q: What is havs?
    A: from kingxklick's thread:
    Code:
    Also, a little info on HAVS and AVS:

The purpose of HAVS is to minimize the power used by the CPU by determining
    and setting the optimal voltage. At the same time, the maximum voltage by
    which HAVS can scale to is fixed to a specified voltage depending on the
    CPU frequency in order to prevent scaling to a higher voltage than what is
    normally used at a specified voltage. The optimal voltage is actively determined
    for each frequency and temperature. HAVS actively adjusts the CPU voltage as the
    CPU frequency and temperature changes.

Q: What is smartass?
    A: The smartass governer drops drops the max cpu frequency when your screen is off (currently set to max 384mhz). It is very effective in saving battery life. (juice plotter is a good one for monitoring your battery life)
    Yea. I'm working on sysfs. Soon...

I said one word ...update. Can someone explain to me how that's the same as asking for an eta? I meant update as in what's going on maybe a status update like Chad gives from time to time. Chill.

But you said it obnoxiously. As in in all caps with a bunch of questions marks. All caps generally equals shouting. ;)