DNA Committed Suicide in my Pocket

Search This thread

drumz0rz

Mar 22, 2011
Sigh... I loved my DNA, I really did. I treated it so well, barely a hairline scratch on it's screen.

It clearly didn't love me back. Yesterday on the train, I slipped it into my pocket, only to take it out minutes later and find the screen shattered into dozens of pieces.

How did it happen? I didn't bump anything, it wasn't hot or cold, it wasn't even being used. Just popped in my pocket, I didn't even notice...

I googled and found this thread on Verizon's forum. Seems I'm not alone.

I have no insurance, so it's either pay ~$150 to repair it, buy a used replacement on Swappa, or upgrade...

My verizon upgrade isn't until November, but I picked up a One M8 for a decent price on Swappa.

So long valiant Droid DNA... you were great while you lasted... Hopefully the M8 doesn't follow it this one's footsteps!

sabres032

Nov 26, 2012
Kendall
Wow!!! I've not heard of this happening before. Myself and two friends have all had the DNA for about a year without any issues. We live in western New York where the temperatures can fluctuate quite rapidly in the winter. Thanks for the info, I'll be more aware of his and where I store and use my phone this winter.

Jaggar345

May 24, 2012
Amston
Does sound like your not alone. But Verizon really doesn't care about their customers so just like everyone else in the thread I doubt they will help you out. And if your out of your one year warranty HTC will fix it but will charge you. Good luck with your new phone. I hope it never happens again to you.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

theseabass

May 29, 2013
Wow. That's a terrifying thread right there. That's the first I've ever heard of the issue. I'm terrified now.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

tstorm004

Nov 2, 2013
That's no good. I just got my screen replaced. Granted, I tried slipping into my coat pocket & missed, sending it crashing to the cold hard pavement below..

javierarenas

Jan 17, 2011
Possibly this is a manufacture defect of the glass screen. The glass became very brittle with heat (from battery and board ) and cold temperatures (from outside)

If you heat up a glass and then put cold water on it, you will get that cracking pattern. I think this a problem with the glass quality.