[Q] CM11.0, 20140608, M7 Snapshot - Unable to get signal from radio

Search This thread

HCFL

Nov 14, 2013
I started to experiment with different custom ROMs available for the d2att (now, apparently called the d2lte). My phone is using TeamWin 2.6.3.1 for recovery, I have been using it for everything. So far I have only been familiar with two certain ROMs: Cyanogenmod and CarbonROM. I have not flashed anything except for the recovery.

I complete the installation of my new ROM by first wiping cache, dalvik, data and system. My ROMs are stored on an external SD.

CarbonROM was the first one to be installed, but I found it quite buggy and unstable. I have since been using different snapshots of CM to test functionality and stability...since I plan to hang up my LG G2 and start using my SGS3 w/7200mAh battery as my daily phone. So it needs to be very reliable. I also enjoy picking with settings so the more settings the better.

So, question number #1:
When I install CM the normal way, add my APN, and select the proper mobile network mode, how come I cannot get a signal, no matter what I try? I have searched around many forums for the answer to this...many have nothing to do with my problem or are using different phones. I can confirm my SIM card works, as it was used in my LG G2. Carrier is Virgin Mobile Canada. Network mode is GSM/WCDMA Auto. It does not work with any other modes including Global.

Q #2:
If I plan on using custom KK (4.4.2) ROMs, is there anything extra I need to flash to the phone in order for the cell radio to work successfully? When I researched this, I found lots of people talking about flashing a custom bootloader, but I could not find an exact answer to my question. I would rather not brick my phone by attempting this blindly.

Q #3:
Since I am looking for a reliable custom ROM, is CM the best developer to choose? Is there a more reliable ROM out there?

Mike

EDIT: I did more reaseach on bootloaders and modem firmware and found that my bootloader is already at the most recent version. I did find however that my modem firmware was out of date, so I updated from UEMK5 to UEND3. This however did not solve my problem as I still have no service...

I am contemplating now about starting from scratch and wiping my internal storage... will this help or is it unnecessary?

Last edited:

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
For question # 1, do you have a proper imei after installing CM11? You can check it in the dialer by typing in *#06#.

For question #2, the modem must be compatible with the bootloader. Custom ROMs will only install if the phone has a compatible bootloader.

For question #2, I prefer Validus which is an AOSP-based ROM.

HCFL

Nov 14, 2013
For question # 1, do you have a proper imei after installing CM11? You can check it in the dialer by typing in *#06#.

For question #2, the modem must be compatible with the bootloader. Custom ROMs will only install if the phone has a compatible bootloader.

For question #2, I prefer Validus which is an AOSP-based ROM.

I have an IMEI number. That is what has me kind of confused...everything is there to show signal, it's just that it will not pick up a tower. When I throw a SIM card in it recognizes it. One thing to also mention is it pins the signal at 0, -1, or 258692378... or another outrageous number.

UnknownTroll1

Jul 2, 2013
First things first have you followed the method of going back to a stock TW ROM, obtaining a GPS lock, and then flashed your Custom KitKat rom?

Sent from Mission Control

HCFL

Nov 14, 2013
First things first have you followed the method of going back to a stock TW ROM, obtaining a GPS lock, and then flashed your Custom KitKat rom?

I am now on stock 4.3 firmware. I have obtained a GPS lock.
No service at all.

But... I had a funny feeling, so I went into stock android recovery and wiped cache...and voila, service!

Only problem is, I'm losing it almost constantly. The only way to fix it is by wiping the cache, but I can't keep doing that whenever I lose service.

Will I be okay to flash the custom recovery and custom ROM at this point?

UnknownTroll1

Jul 2, 2013
I am now on stock 4.3 firmware. I have obtained a GPS lock.
No service at all.

But... I had a funny feeling, so I went into stock android recovery and wiped cache...and voila, service!

Only problem is, I'm losing it almost constantly. The only way to fix it is by wiping the cache, but I can't keep doing that whenever I lose service.

Will I be okay to flash the custom recovery and custom ROM at this point?

If you are still on the Stock TW ROM here is a method to try. It will clear most of your mobile data problems.

1. Enter the Samsung service mode by typing this code into the dial pad *#197328640#

2. Then go to Mainmenu>UMTS>Common>NV REBUILD>NV REBUILD> (Important: don't exit the menu yet!)

3. Wait 30+ sec

4. Long press power button and select "Restart / Reboot"

5. Now check your GPS from any software that may use GPS like "Maps" or "GPS Status"

Credit: S3Rx ROM Development Thread.

EDIT: Afterwards you should be good to go on your custom ROM. This issue seems to have arisen when a d2lte build broke most people's LTE/Mobile data.

Last edited:

HCFL

Nov 14, 2013
If you are still on the Stock TW ROM here is a method to try. It will clear most of your mobile data problems.

1. Enter the Samsung service mode by typing this code into the dial pad *#197328640#

2. Then go to Mainmenu>UMTS>Common>NV REBUILD>NV REBUILD> (Important: don't exit the menu yet!)

3. Wait 30+ sec

4. Long press power button and select "Restart / Reboot"

5. Now check your GPS from any software that may use GPS like "Maps" or "GPS Status"

Credit: S3Rx ROM Development Thread.

EDIT: Afterwards you should be good to go on your custom ROM. This issue seems to have arisen when a d2lte build broke most people's LTE/Mobile data.

I am still unable to get service. This time it is pinned at -113. I am although, registered on a network. Not able to make calls or text.

HCFL

Nov 14, 2013
You're running the most recent release so I'm not sure what's causing the issue.

I have found the problem with the service. I live in an area where signal is not too great. My LG G2 has a tendency to pick up the correct tower for my area, but my Galaxy S3 does not choose the same tower... It looks for one in a completely different direction.

Forgive me, this thread is going to take a bit of a turn.

Is there any way to choose which cell tower the phone connects to? In my area there is one directly east and the other is directly west. I need the western tower in order to make/receive calls/text and in order to get any data reception. Right now where my phone sits, it does not connect to the western tower so I cannot use it. I used OpenSignal to observe which tower both phones connect to.

The other issue I found is my extended battery (Anker 7200) also interferes with reception quite a bit. In town, it's not noticeable. But out on my acreage it stops my phone from getting any signal. I compared it to my LG G2 and my Galaxy S3 with the old 2100mAh battery. The G2 hovers around -95, S3 w/OEM battery at -101 and the S3 w/Anker battery at -113 (no service).

Mike

x0ne215

Mar 4, 2013
Philly
Is there any way to choose which cell tower the phone connects to? In my area there is one directly east and the other is directly west. I need the western tower in order to make/receive calls/text and in order to get any data reception. Right now where my phone sits, it does not connect to the western tower so I cannot use it. I used OpenSignal to observe which tower both phones connect to.
Mike

Try changing the mode to LTE only under your settings. This may force the stronger connection.

x0ne215

Mar 4, 2013
Philly
Unfortunately that won't work either. In my area I can only pick up HSPA....

Hmm. Out of curiosity, have you tried a different ROM on 4.4.2? I've had weird issues with ROMs and signal, ie MIUI caused me to have my signal cut in and out at random intervals. Worth a shot at least. I've been using SlimKat if you want one for reference (probably the quickest download due to size).

Unfortunately all I can suggest is trying to play with tasker and seeing if you can get it to skip over the crap tower, but to my knowledge there's no way to prevent connection to said tower.

I guess if you wanna get into a gray area you could modify said tower....but I claim no responsibility for your actions with that ;)

HCFL

Nov 14, 2013
Hmm. Out of curiosity, have you tried a different ROM on 4.4.2? I've had weird issues with ROMs and signal, ie MIUI caused me to have my signal cut in and out at random intervals. Worth a shot at least. I've been using SlimKat if you want one for reference (probably the quickest download due to size).

Unfortunately all I can suggest is trying to play with tasker and seeing if you can get it to skip over the crap tower, but to my knowledge there's no way to prevent connection to said tower.

I guess if you wanna get into a gray area you could modify said tower....but I claim no responsibility for your actions with that ;)

I've been using Liquidsmooth the past few nights and am losing signal more than ever.

Would the OS control how the modem is used? I would think that it's hardware only that changes how and when you get service.

I'm going to try the UEND3 modem firmware and see if that makes a difference. Also going to try SlimKat like you suggested.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unfortunately that won't work either. In my area I can only pick up HSPA....