[FAQ] Frequently asked question concerning VTS

Search This thread

Diamondback

Retired Dev Committee Lead / Retired Senior Mod
Jan 17, 2010
virtuous-ten-studio.com
How to properly install framework apks and use tags

ApkTool (and therefore VTS) needs framework apks to properly de- & recompile Android resources.
Framework tags are used to differentiate between multiple sets of framework apks.
You are usually going to have one set (ie. multiple apks) per device and base/rom version.
When installing frameworks it's very important to install all frameworks from the same device/rom with the same tag.

Have a look at this tutorial to learn more about installing frameworks with VTS.

How to completely reset the VTS layout

VTS has a "Reset layout" button, but sometimes this can't repair all problems with a broken window layout.
To fix such persistent problems, open the settings and untick the "Save dock layout" checkbox.
Now restart VTS, the layout should be reset to the default layout.

You can enable layout saving again.

How to manually edit VTS settings

Since VTS 2.6.12 you can easily change these settings with the "Advanced settings" window inside VTS.
Open the settings window and click on the "Advanced" button at the bottom.

VTS stores its settings easily accessible in XML files. They are stored in a folder (normally) located here:
C:\Users\<your user>\Documents\Virtuous Ten Studio\Settings\

You can easily open and edit these settings files, just make sure VTS is closed before doing so.
Note: Some settings only exist after VTS used them for the first time.

VTS can't find the Java binary

Make sure to add the location of your Java.exe to your PATH variable and reboot after doing so.
VTS should be able to find your java binary now.

If it still doesn't work, you can manually specify the java path in the VTS settings.

Something else went wrong and I need help

Editing apks and other Android related files can be a highly complex task.
There are many possible error sources. If something goes wrong nobody can help you unless you provide some important things: (if applicable)
  1. The VTS logs. Without these it's pretty impossible to troubleshoot problems that occured while using VTS.
    Have a look at this tutorial, it explains you how to use the Log Viewer.
    Make sure all checkboxes on top are checked and copy all the log text from the textbox.
    When asking for help, make sure to include all the text in [CODE]<log text>[/CODE] tags.

2. A logcat of your device, the packagename (if applicable) and filename of the file you are working on.
    If something goes wrong or doesn't work on the device you are working with, it's absolutely required to get a logcat before asking for help.
    You can use the Logcat viewer of VTS to get a copy of the so called Logcat. It's the internal log of your device and usually helps revealing and solving all kinds of problems occuring on the device.
    As with the VTS logs, please include the Logcat in [CODE]<logcat text>[/CODE] tags.

3. Your Operating System version (eg. Windows 8, Windows Vista etc)

4. General information:
    • Can you reproduce the issue?
    • Did you try to restart your computer/your device first?

Feel free to propose me any new entries for this post :)

rkharat98

Something is badly messed up..
I used VTS v2.6.12 .. Until then everything was alright.. I used to decompile framework-res.apk, framework.jar, systemui.apk..
I never got any boot loop..
I downloaded and installed the latest version and ..
Whatever projects I made in v2.6.12 .. Were not recompiling.. May be because there was an update to apktool..
I had to make all new projects.. .
SystemUI.apk of my stock ROM is ~2.5mb.. After I decompile and recompile its size is like 5mb .. Why so??
I have to do everything manually ..
It never shows any error while decompiling or compiling..
How can i figure out where the problem is??

Diamondback

Retired Dev Committee Lead / Retired Senior Mod
Jan 17, 2010
virtuous-ten-studio.com
I used VTS v2.6.12 .. Until then everything was alright.. I used to decompile framework-res.apk, framework.jar, systemui.apk..
Whatever projects I made in v2.6.12 .. Were not recompiling.. May be because there was an update to apktool..
SystemUI.apk of my stock ROM is ~2.5mb.. After I decompile and recompile its size is like 5mb .. Why so??

You made a pretty big jump in versions there, I suspect the changes in the file formats prevented a proper loading of your old files.
Sorry for that, I never expected such large version jumps.

As for the size, in its default configuration VTS builds all binaries with no compression, whereas most binaries come with some compression. You can set the compression level in the settings of the zip module yourself. In any case, the size difference does no harm, you can leave it either way.

Reactions: rkharat98

ANKIT RAWAT

May 25, 2014
@Diamondback, great work.
Can I compile Apk via VTS? Example: I have sources and want to compile it with my drawables,XML,values. Thanks in Advance :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You made a pretty big jump in versions there, I suspect the changes in the file formats prevented a proper loading of your old files.
    Sorry for that, I never expected such large version jumps.

As for the size, in its default configuration VTS builds all binaries with no compression, whereas most binaries come with some compression. You can set the compression level in the settings of the zip module yourself. In any case, the size difference does no harm, you can leave it either way.