[Q] Desire S USB Brick

Search This thread

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
Charging requires only VBUS (2 of the 4 USB lines).
If one of the data lines is broken - your phone will charge, but won't be recognized as anything.

scorp121z

Oct 12, 2008
I suspected a harware fault, one of the things i like about HTC phones is that they have a 2 year warranty.Mine runs out in November, I will put the stock rom back on and send it for repair, but I remember reading on an older thread HTC will not repair phones that are S-Off, will I need to try and get it back to S-On if possible?

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
You can try to get it back to S-ON, but if it's clear HW fault, my impression is that they fix such faults regardless of S-OFF.

Aaroneke

May 31, 2010
I have exacly the same problem, fastboot says "Fastboot AC" nothing works, my desire s is htc-dev unlocked, so i need to flash other boot.img

Aaroneke

May 31, 2010
What rom/kernel are you using with this problem? Are you HTC-dev unlocked or s-off ?

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
I don't have this problem, the OP does - and this thread is from 1/2 year ago, so I don't think he'll see it to answer the question...
There's nothing to do with physical USB socket failure but to fix it. If you're HTCDev-unlocked and want to relock - unfortunately you're out of luck, and you won't be able to change ROMs either, not being able to fastboot flash anything.

Last edited:

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
No, fastboot runs even without kernel whatsoever. Fastboot is an interface of bootloader - SBL, if you like.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just to check some obvious things

Have you tried more than one PC?
    Have you tried more than one USB cable?
    Did you ever instal HTC drivers? You should find HTC sync exe in root of sd card

And just to correct a possible typo in the post above

- rename it to "PG88IMG.zip" (case sensitive)
    - put it on the root of your SD card
    - reboot into hboot and wait.

wyped form ym Dersie S unsig XAD Permuim
    i saw that as well. the only problem is that flashing ruu requires fastboot no? (running the .exe file from pc which the phone is connected)

That's the part where mine can't work. Anything that must be done from comp doesn't work.

Thanks! :D

Im not sure what to do then mate but good luck in your ventures and hope you sort it ;)
    Why are you trying to solve HW problem with SW?

I don't know what is "USB brick", but there's no such thing. While you can screw up USB access in the OS, there's no way you can screw it up in the bootloader. If you read well and put attention, you'll see that all "USB brick" threads in Desire were in OS, and fastboot worked. The most likely reason for USB not working in fastboot is physical - one of the USB pins disconnected, either bent inside the microUSB socket of the phone (most likely), or broke off the main board (less likely). So the required fix is physical as well.
    If the phone is recognized by PC in fastboot mode, and phone screen shows "FASTBOOT USB" - it isn't a HW problem.

If the phone isn't recognized in fastboot mode - it is a HW problem.

This is a simple and 100% way to distinguish between so-called "USB bricks" and HW failure of USB slot / one of the USB lines.
    who is talking to who? :S

I was asking you, doesnt matter anymore, he was right, i think it is hardware related.

(Just wondering, does fastboot use normal kernel?)