[How To] Root - Galaxy Tab 2 7"

Search This thread

jessepatty

Feb 25, 2008
Lake Wales
I must have one of those odd ball Galaxy tabs as well...

I just got mine about an hour ago (Amazon) and as with all my other Android devices I root them immediately, well all of them but this one. lol

I've been messing with this thing for over an hour now try to root it. I have followed the directions to the "T".... I get the "PASS" in Odin, I wait for it to reboot, I turn it off, boot it back up in recovery and instead of CWM showing up, I get the stock 3e recovery. I've tried it several times and CWM is not installing.

The thing that stands out to me is that you all keep mentioning the UEALD3 and UEALD5.... Mine says UEBLG5 so I think I may have a totally different firmware or something that is blocking CWM from installing.

I dunno... Maybe somebody here can shed some light on mine here.

ketut.kumajaya

Recognized Developer
Apr 28, 2011
Bekasi
I must have one of those odd ball Galaxy tabs as well...

I just got mine about an hour ago (Amazon) and as with all my other Android devices I root them immediately, well all of them but this one. lol

I've been messing with this thing for over an hour now try to root it. I have followed the directions to the "T".... I get the "PASS" in Odin, I wait for it to reboot, I turn it off, boot it back up in recovery and instead of CWM showing up, I get the stock 3e recovery. I've tried it several times and CWM is not installing.

The thing that stands out to me is that you all keep mentioning the UEALD3 and UEALD5.... Mine says UEBLG5 so I think I may have a totally different firmware or something that is blocking CWM from installing.

I dunno... Maybe somebody here can shed some light on mine here.
Try Heimdall. I can confirm that Heimdall 1.3.1 works as I've tested it myself.

Last edited:

Hero Lover

Apr 17, 2010
Al Khubar
It seems like an easy way to get my Tab rooted.

does it work for GT-P3100 as well ? or can anybody confirm that so I can start rooting my device :D

Thanks for the great tutorial btw

Hero Lover

Apr 17, 2010
Al Khubar
Hi... can i use this tutorial to root my Tab 2 3100P???
it says this is for 3110....
No, it won't work. I've tried to do it but I read that if you mount different bot image that is not suitable for my device, it will probably prick your device :(

If you want to root and install a recovery for P3100 go to this link and read this tutorial, it worked like a charm for me :
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1880010

Good luck :fingers-crossed:

N4R4Y4N

Jan 22, 2011
San Benedetto del Tronto
EDIT: Seems a usblib error pops up when trying to do the flashing operation :(

EDIT2: Used "zadig" heimdall suite tool to replace the current samsung usb drivers (found by windows update) with the one given by zadig...flashed correctly!

Everything went ok, got SU ready so it must be rooted.

First thing i notice is that the tablet feels quite slow in every task...is that normal, should i install a custom rom right away?

Last edited:

mixxers

Oct 18, 2011
poznan
hi,
I'm trying to follow the steps and the Odin log says the following:
<ID:0/008> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> recovery.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/008> Odin v.3 engine (ID:8)..
<ID:0/008> File analysis..
<ID:0/008> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/008> Initialzation..
<ID:0/008> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/008> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/008> recovery.img
<ID:0/008> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/008> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/008> RES OK !!
<ID:0/008> Completed..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
<ID:0/008> Removed!!
<ID:0/006> Added!!

I can't see any errors in Odin itself, yet while trying to enter CWM I still see the default recovery.
What might be the issue?
I have tried like 4 times already still unsuccessful:(

What am i doing wrong?
P3110

solved:
followed steps from:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1788625

worked like a charm :)

Last edited:

Waza_Be

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 22, 2009
Hello all,

I think I made a really big mistake...
I followed this toturial and flashed the files on a 4.1 tab that I just updated.

The tablet is now stuck at the bootanimation (Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0)

Do you know if there is a way to fix that?

onon_onon

Dec 9, 2010
Curitiba
Hello all,

I think I made a really big mistake...
I followed this toturial and flashed the files on a 4.1 tab that I just updated.

The tablet is now stuck at the bootanimation (Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0)

Do you know if there is a way to fix that?
I did the same and I'm stuck at the boot animation as well. I was going to flash a stock rom, but since CWM (flashed later) was able to backup all my data, I'll try to recovery it. Please let me know if you have any luck with it.

BveilSman

Jan 20, 2013
Jaipur
HELP!

Hey guys, I'm sorry if i'm posting in the wrong thread but i'm new here and don't know much about the xda. My problem is that, my tab has no rom installed in it. i mean when i normal boot it, it just stays at the samsung logo. after booting into the recovery and flashing cyanogenmod, nothing still works :( it just shows the samsung boot logo and doesn't move after that :'( Please i beg you guys to help me out with this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    here it is

since we have no forum yet (um come on mods get to it!) I can't post a shiny new thready for my very first real dev, ROOT FOR YOUR GALAXY TAB 2 7.0!!

so I'll put it in this post, and I'll mention I posted this on rootzwiki first, we have our very own forum there... (XDA I love ya, and I know you will get there hehe)

** Edit ***
    I just attached the files as well as mediafire, rename the txt file to pit (xda won't accept the file as is..

I have gained root through using a modified boot.img from the gt-p3110 leak posted a few weeks ago, took me all day but here it is.

Note I haven't only tested this on my device, its 2am est and all my testers are asleep (that being termitech lol)..

Standard YMMV
    So big fat warning, I MAKE NO GUARANTEES THIS WILL NOT BRICK YOUR TAB, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Now with that unpleasantness out of the way.. with out further ado. I present the very first root for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0!! Yay mom I'm a dev now!

The method will have you using hemidall/heimdall-frontend there is a way to put this all into an odin package but I'm too exhausted to do so (for now).. Also I will not re-hash how to install or use heimdall.. you can look that up on your own

Get it here:
    http://www.glassechidna.com.au/products/heimdall/

Process
    Once that is installed do the following:
    • reboot tablet into download mode
    • adb reboot download

• launch heimdall-frontend
    • go to flash tab
    • load attached pit file (gt-p3110.pit)
    • Then from partion details choose "KERNEL", click "Add"
    • then choose "Browse" and select the attached boot-bjr.img
    • choose "Start"

after the tablet reboots:

Code:
    adb shell
    ./su
    ./gtab2-root.sh

Congratulations you are now rooted!

I'm going to try and stay up a bit longer and monitor this (and the xda thread) please let me know immediately of success or failure, I will pull the files if failure.. Issues with heimdall aside, I want reports back on if things work.. They work for me.. and I tested a fresh factory img just a few minutes ago.. pretty sure we are good!

gt-p3110.pit

boot-bjr.img
    I rooted mines using unlockr site. But I did had to download Kies for the Drivers and you do need a memory card.

I. Before You Begin:

1. Rooting your Galaxy Tab will void its warranty and it can only be gained back by either applying stock firmware or unrooting your tablet.

II. Downloading Required Files:

1. Download ClockworkMod Recovery Image from here.

2. Download the Rooting Package from here.

3. Download the Odin tool from here.

III. Installing CWM Recovery on Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

1. First of all, close Kies software on your PC.

2. Reboot your Galaxy Tab 2 into the download mode. You can do so by pressing and holding both Volume DOWN and Power keys together.

3. Press the Volume UP key to enter into the download mode.

4. Launch the Odin Tool on your PC by double-clicking on Odin3 v1.85.exe file.

5. Connect your tablet to your PC using the USB cable.

6. From the Odin Tool, choose PDA and then select the recovery.tar.md5 file you downloaded earlier. You will have following screen:

Root-Galaxy-Tab-2-300x214.png

[ Select "PDA" option ]

7. Click on the Start button to begin flashing recovery. Your tablet will reboot when the flashing is done.

8. Disconnect your tablet from the PC.

We completed installing CWM recovery on the tablet, now move on to the rooting procedure.

IV. Rooting your Galaxy Tab 2 7-inch:

1. Turn OFF your tablet.

2. Boot your tablet into the recovery mode by pressing and holding both the Volume UP and Power keys simultaneously.

3. Choose install zip from sdcard option and then navigate to the rooting package you downloaded earlier. It will begin rooting your tablet, let it do it.

4. When the rooting is done, choose Reboot system now from the recovery menu.

Everything’s done now. You have successfully rooted your tablet as well as installed CWM recovery on it. This simple root method was brought to us by a RootzWiki user nycbjr, you should thank/donate him over at rootzwiki for his great work!
    Big fat warning, I MAKE NO GUARANTEES THIS WILL NOT BRICK YOUR TAB, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Now with that unpleasantness out of the way.. with out further ado. I present the very first root for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0!! Yay mom I'm a dev now!

Flash xoomdev's CWM recovery First, then flash the package in this post.

Xoomdev's thread

Paste of his instructions:

Download the recovery.tar.md5

Make sure Kies is closed
    Reboot into Download mode (adb reboot download)
    Open Odin, confirm connection
    Click PDA
    Load recovery.tar.md5 file
    Click Start
    Device will reboot when the flash is complete

To reboot into recovery, just like any other device; adb reboot recovery

Link to the CWM Package

Link to root package

Thank for making this possible!

I followed these directions exact. But, I am getting the following error - E:signature verification failed - when updating 'cmw-root-gtab2.zip'

I did run that Samsung update on the device last week when it was first powered on @ BB - could this have any issues with the root process?

My tab doesnt reboot after the flash, its like it never even happened.

I tried the heimdall way, but the img file cant be found anywhere at the moment.

I am new to the android world, so bear with me. I followed the exact steps for this one that you posted, and my tablet acts like nothing even happened.

Pretty sure you need to follow the thread over on rootzwiki called "Stopping recovery overwrite" in the Galaxy Tab 2 (7") Development forum. After that use ODIN to flash CWM. You need to do this if the upgrade was applied to your stock tab (UEALD3 / SEP-66 #1).
    Big fat warning, I MAKE NO GUARANTEES THIS WILL NOT BRICK YOUR TAB, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Flash xoomdev's CWM recovery First, then flash the package in this post.

Xoomdev's thread

Paste of his instructions:

Download the recovery.tar.md5

Make sure Kies is closed
    Reboot into Download mode (adb reboot download)
    Open Odin, confirm connection
    Click PDA
    Load recovery.tar.md5 file
    Click Start
    Device will reboot when the flash is complete

To reboot into recovery, just like any other device; adb reboot recovery

Link to the CWM Package

Link to root package

Thank for making this possible!

I followed these directions exact. But, I am getting the following error - E:signature verification failed - when updating 'cmw-root-gtab2.zip'

I did run that Samsung update on the device last week when it was first powered on @ BB - could this have any issues with the root process?