FIX for screen separation using GLUE

Search This thread

pollanza

Dec 24, 2009
I've fixed the screen with super glue. Used some spacers to move out the frame under the screen. With a needle I've put some superglue and pressed hard the bezel. Now it seems another tablet, it's super rigid and I'm really enjoying it. It is really bad that asus sells the nexus with a problem that is so annoying. I think a nexus device deserves better.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

HoochieCoo

Dec 6, 2010
I did what the two previous posters did... Used a toothpick to apply super glue. Specifically, I removed the screws along the left side, then used spacers to bow out the silver frame. Use SMALL amounts of glue along the bottom of the frame. Remove the spacers and push and hold everything in place. Don't just push down, you have to apply pressure from the side too. I also kept pressure on mine for awhile. It's super glue. Plan it out in your head first.

Quick and painless. Been fine for 3 weeks now.

EDIT: I can't remember how how many screws there were, but it was every screw along the left side. I was able to bow the frame out such that at the apex (half way along the left side) I could see most of the bottom edge of the frame. I put the glue along the bottom, on that black sticky tape, knowing a small amount would push up along the edge.

Last edited:

jarayn

Aug 6, 2012
Impatient fail. Tried super glue.

Now I have little blobs of glue along the bezel and the fix lasted about 20sec after I screwed it back together.

Perhaps ill try it the right way next time lol.

I really like this tab but its a pos quality wise.

mudcruzr

Mar 30, 2011
Dunfermline
This is another vote for a successful repair using glue and toothpicks. I used a two part epoxy which took about 6 hours to set (then I left it overnight to make sure). I had already tried all the screw variations, tighten, loosen, washers, left out and nothing made any difference for more than 20 mins or so.

So far 24 hours + and it looks perfect, brilliant!

I'll report any changes, but it is looking good.

-mud

jarayn

Aug 6, 2012
This is another vote for a successful repair using glue and toothpicks. I used a two part epoxy which took about 6 hours to set (then I left it overnight to make sure). I had already tried all the screw variations, tighten, loosen, washers, left out and nothing made any difference for more than 20 mins or so.

So far 24 hours + and it looks perfect, brilliant!

I'll report any changes, but it is looking good.

-mud

How much separation are you guys getting? Are you really squeezing that glue in trying to get it under or just a bit between the frame and thin edge of glass.

Mine is quite alot worse now probably because I separated the frame more trying to get a larger area for glue.

mrw333

Aug 10, 2010
I used 5 minute epoxy weeks ago on the left side of the screen and it has been solid ever since. Be sure to properly measure and mix the epoxy and let it fully set before using the device.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

pollanza

Dec 24, 2009
After I glued the screen with superglue I left the screws how they were the first time I opened the back: on the left side the screw is present only in the highest of the 4 holes. I left unscrewed the other 3 holes in order to reduce the stress in the bezel. So far (two days) the screen is perfect and I've tested it with various games that heat a lot the nexus.
I don't think super glue is affected by heat by the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: pxlitup

ckl_88

Jan 25, 2008
How much separation are you guys getting? Are you really squeezing that glue in trying to get it under or just a bit between the frame and thin edge of glass.

Mine is quite alot worse now probably because I separated the frame more trying to get a larger area for glue.

Mine was probably a millimeter above the frame on the left side. It varies slightly depending on the heat generated while using the device. The biggest annoyance was that it was on the left side, the same side I use to hold the device. My left thumb would be right over the apex of the lift and I could feel it move up and down depending on how much pressure I put on it. Not only this, if I tried to push the screen back into position that is flush with the frame, I could see the "rainbow" effect that you get when you poke an LCD screen.

Now that it's glued, the device feels very solid and no rainbow effect even if I try to push anywhere around the edge of the screen. I don't know whether I got glue under the glass or not but if you put toothpicks to "bow" out the frame from the glass, when you push it back into place after you apply the glue, there is a chance that some of the glue will make it under the glass. I don't know how one would go about checking to see how much. But my main goal wasn't really to get glue under the glass but to get the glass flush with the frame. I think it should be okay if you only glue the frame to the glass because it doesn't take a lot of pressure to keep it flush.

Last edited:
Reactions: pxlitup

oz_90

Feb 16, 2012
Guatemala
What glue to use?

Hi, I have screen lifting in both sides (more on the left side), and have tried the washers, removing the rectangular foam and breaking the little plastic at the back, but without luck. So I want to perform this fix, can someone post a photo of the glue you used? (not the one on the OP)

CHollman82

May 12, 2011
Doing the crazy glue method myself.

For clean up try acetone, if you don't have any and there's a female in your diggs you could always try fingernail polish remover...acetone is it's active ingredient but pure acetone is best.

DO NOT get acetone anywhere near your tablet. Acetone strips paint and damages plastic. It will turn hard plastic into gooey mush if left in contact with it. It can also damage traces on the PCB depending on the materials used.

leelaa

Feb 20, 2012
Liverpool
I have very slight screen lift. Do you think i could cement it? Lol, i might give this glue a go.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

abitzsong

Nov 1, 2010
Did you have any screen mushiness or waves when you pressed near where your screen lift issue was? And if so, did applying this fix help at all?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Sorry for the late reply. Yes I had that and its improved after sticking.
Its been days after I applied this fix. No screen lift till now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

siddesu

Mar 26, 2011
I had the 'lift' on the left side, tried all other methods with no success, and finally used regular 5 minute epoxy (sticks 5 minutes after mixing and gives you 3N per sq. mm in 1 hour and 10N when fully cured).

Nothing else would have worked - on my device, the original glue on the left side had cured without sticking to the glass at all.

The only thing I did differently from op was to exercise wiping the glue off a random piece of glass a couple of times so that I get the moves right, as I am rather clumsy.

Worked just fine.

Sent from my DynaTAC 8000X using magic powers

Cyvan

Sep 10, 2012
I tried all the other methods listed in the forums and this is the only one that has worked. Just used a few dabs of krazy glue and wiped off the excess.

Been lift free for weeks.

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
I also used super glue. I worry a little about what the glue will do to that ribbon cable but it has held for a couple months now.

HangingOut

Aug 13, 2012
So, I've been a lurker for quite a white. I have a C60 build with screen lift on the top left. Tried pretty much everything considered in this messageboard. (Screw tighten, spacers, etc.) All were temporary. I purchased loctite on yesterday and used the toothpicks to seperate the silver border from the glass screen. Unfortunately (figures for me), I didn't get enough in the middle between the glass and plastic, but I did manage to get a slight bit of the glue on the silver border that won't come off.

I tried using rubbing alchol to remove the glue, but it's still there. It doesn't look terrible, but it's not worth trying again as I might get even more on the bezel. The split between the bezel and glass appear to be getting worse over time. Anyone know of a safe way of breaking down glue? (Obviously, nothing with acetone which will destroy the plastic.)

I purchased it at Walmart back in August, do I have other options in getting it fix through Asus? Based on the feedback from what I've heard from other purchasers, their customer service is pretty terrible and this screen raise is apparent on many of the n7 (especially the early builds.)

Thanks for any ideas people have regarding the glue, just wish I didn't fool with it. I just wish it would have worked .:-|

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those of you who have tried the various fixes on this forum and are having no luck with the screen lift issue, then this fix may be for you. I believe the screen lifting from the frame is caused by something internal that is pushing the screen upwards and causing the adhesive failure. This fix will use glue to re-establish the bond between the screen and the frame.

This fix involves taking the back cover off and removing some screws and creating a gap between the frame and screen for the glue. Oh, and while the glue cures, you will not be able to use your device for at least a few hours depending on the glue you use.

If this is too much for you or if you are addicted to your device and cannot put it down to let the glue cure, there is an alternate glue fix that is faster, does not require any disassembly, but it uses super-glue - which dries too fast for my liking. The post is here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29220469&postcount=422 - Thanks to acegolfer for this.

*** DISCLAIMER ***
    I'm not responsible if you break your device doing this fix.

Tools required
    1. Guitar pick - or something flat to remove back cover
    2. Small phillips head screwdriver
    3. Toothpick
    4. Glue
    5. Damp cloth/ cloth - to wipe excess glue
    6. Needle or tack - to apply glue.
    7. Rubber bands, eraser, book - anything to keep screen in place and frame against the screen.

First things first. the glue I used is not super-glue, it is epoxy. Why? Because I've had much success using it, but not much luck with super-glue. See pic of the epoxy I used.
    P1050124.jpg

Since most of us have screen lift on the left side, these instructions assume the fix will be on that side.

Steps:
    1. Turn off N7 and take back cover off

2. Remove the 4 screws on the left side.
    N7Back-1.jpg

3. Take the toothpick and cut it in half. It should now look like this:
    P1050129.jpg

4. Now flip the N7 over. Using the guitar pick (or the tool you used to take back cover off). CAREFULLY insert between the frame and screen to create an initial gap. then take one side of the toothpick and insert it to one side of the guitar pick. then take the other side of the toothpick and insert it to the other side of the guitar pick. take guitar pick out, it should now look like this:
    P1050126.jpg

P1050127.jpg

P1050125.jpg

5. Open up the glue. Squeeze a pea size amount onto a disposable piece of hard plastic. Even though the one I bought is self-mixing, I mixed it again using the tack, then used the damp cloth to clean off the tack.

6. Take the tack and dip it into the glue. The tack should now have some glue on the tip. CAREFULLY place glue in the gap you created in step 4. You do not need to fill it up, just a small amount. You can either place the glue continuously or spaced out at even points. I chose to put glue at evenly spaced out points approx 1/4" apart. Alternatively, the glue came with a fine tipped applicator (see pic), so you could have applied the glue directly into the gap, but that could be messy.

7. When the glue has been applied, remove the toothpicks and close the gap. Some glue will be squeezed out so wipe it off with the damp cloth. Flip N7 over and put the screws back.

8. take rubber bands and place them evenly spaced around the N7 to keep frame against the glass. then put an eraser on the screen to keep screen flush with frame. LEAVE THE BACK COVER OFF. You do not want anything that could possibly push the screen up at this point.
    P1050128.jpg

9. After putting screws back and applying rubber bands, double-check to see that there is no gap and the screen is flush with frame (similar to the right side).

10. I placed a phone book on top which I did not include in the picture.

11. If everything looks fine, let sit for at least 2 hours before touching it. If you used the same epoxy glue I did, I would not turn it on for at least 10 hours. I also did not put the back cover on until the 10 hour mark.

Final result.
    IMG_20120801_204451.jpg

I did this about 2 days ago. Since then, I've tested it by running some tegra 3 optimized games like Zen pinball and riptide until the rear lower left of the N7 felt quite warm. I know that when I performed the shim fix and the screw tightening, the screen would have lifted at this point - but it didn't with this glue fix. In fact, after gluing the frame to the screen, it feels more solid because there is no longer any sponginess when holding with my left hand and absolutely no creaks. Also, it feels good to see that after you've punished the tegra 3 chipset, the heat generated didn't cause the screen to lift.

Hope this helps some of you. If you feel that I missed something or have some suggestions, please let me know.

Cheers.
    I just did the following:

Started transformers playing [was plugged in to power]

Set it on repeat..

waited about 30 mins - so it got a little warm..

Used the same rubber band / eraser trick you did..[without removing the back case] to hold the edge of the screen down.

Waited about 4 hours - film on repeat

Unplugged, turned it off and left it over night [about 12 hours]

Screen has held down for the past week - so sign of lifting.

So maybe worth trying before you go for the glue - and 100% non warranty issues ;)
    After I glued the screen with superglue I left the screws how they were the first time I opened the back: on the left side the screw is present only in the highest of the 4 holes. I left unscrewed the other 3 holes in order to reduce the stress in the bezel. So far (two days) the screen is perfect and I've tested it with various games that heat a lot the nexus.
    I don't think super glue is affected by heat by the way.

Mine was probably a millimeter above the frame on the left side. It varies slightly depending on the heat generated while using the device. The biggest annoyance was that it was on the left side, the same side I use to hold the device. My left thumb would be right over the apex of the lift and I could feel it move up and down depending on how much pressure I put on it. Not only this, if I tried to push the screen back into position that is flush with the frame, I could see the "rainbow" effect that you get when you poke an LCD screen.

Now that it's glued, the device feels very solid and no rainbow effect even if I try to push anywhere around the edge of the screen. I don't know whether I got glue under the glass or not but if you put toothpicks to "bow" out the frame from the glass, when you push it back into place after you apply the glue, there is a chance that some of the glue will make it under the glass. I don't know how one would go about checking to see how much. But my main goal wasn't really to get glue under the glass but to get the glass flush with the frame. I think it should be okay if you only glue the frame to the glass because it doesn't take a lot of pressure to keep it flush.