Low battery consuming flashlight app?

Search This thread

lilajrestnom

Jul 31, 2011
Philadelphia
I sometimes need to use my flashlight for hours. When I was on Gummy 4.4.2, the flashlight toggle in the notification panel (I guess it used the torch app?) would work great and not eat up my batter quickly. It actually lasted the hours I needed it to. So now I flashed a TW 4.3 ROM and I tried the torch app and tiny flash light app but both of them killed my battery wayy to quick. I'm talking about in less than an hour compared to the 3~4 hours I was getting on 4.4.
Anyone have any suggetions? I doubt anyone uses the flashlight as much as I do to have tested it enough but maybe someone has a tip or trick for lowering battery consumption while using the flash?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app

doink123

Sep 4, 2010
I sometimes need to use my flashlight for hours. When I was on Gummy 4.4.2, the flashlight toggle in the notification panel (I guess it used the torch app?) would work great and not eat up my batter quickly. It actually lasted the hours I needed it to. So now I flashed a TW 4.3 ROM and I tried the torch app and tiny flash light app but both of them killed my battery wayy to quick. I'm talking about in less than an hour compared to the 3~4 hours I was getting on 4.4.
Anyone have any suggetions? I doubt anyone uses the flashlight as much as I do to have tested it enough but maybe someone has a tip or trick for lowering battery consumption while using the flash?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app

Hi, I'm the developer of Tiny Flashlight.
There are different ways to start the light on different android devices / OS versions. For example, the standard way on most new devices is to initialize the camera hardware in torch mode. This causes a lot of overhead and your battery drains faster.

Also, there are other non-standard ways to start the light, but they work only on a specific device (if possible at all). On HTC (non-google-play edition) Tiny Flashlight uses a private API, which doesn't involve the camera hardware. This way your device will run for longer.

The problem with most private APIs is that they require root and my change / get removed with software updates or ROM installations. This makes it very hard to support them. Right now I'm running the beta test of Tiny Flashlight v5.0, which is rewritten from scratch. Probably, this is the most optimized flashlight app you will find. If you are interested you can test it: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2560625