Fixing "Unknown reason 18" market error

Search This thread

Karolis

Jan 2, 2008
So I was getting unknown reason 18 error when trying to install certain apps from the market.

I've googled and search the forum. The best answer I could get was to wipe and reinstall the ROM, which I did not want to do.

Then I checked the logs and figured out the problem was that all those apps that would fail were trying to install on SD card by default.

The solution: move all the apps back to phone, put your microSD into a card reader and delete .android_secure folder. That's it! :)

Sep 13, 2010
I don't think it'll work for me either.

None of my apps are on my SD. I know this because I can't even do that. When I try to transfer an app to sd it the progress bar just hangs there (doesn't move it just shows the striped pattern)

Karolis

Jan 2, 2008
.android_secure is hidden, you need to enable showing hidden files on your file manager. I use ES File Manager and it has such feature.

danger-rat

Feb 14, 2010
USA
...or, you can just make sure your app is installed on the phone, then unmount the SD before updating.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

jatinps

Dec 23, 2007
i've had this error for quite some time - i realized i need to move the app back to phone in order to update it and then move it back to SD card.
Will try this method!
Thanks for posting :)

threepwood960

Nov 17, 2010
Mundo
Please, I have the same problem but I haven't space in my phone to return the SD apps. Is there another way to solve this?

ultratech23

Feb 8, 2011
Simple FIX

Just take out the sd card, install whatever is giving you an error, then pop the sd card back in. No fuss no muss!

anishm

May 1, 2007
Nice SIMPLE solution!

Thank you. Didn't involve rooting the phone, installing adb, saying magic mantras etc. etc. :)

pedroflovera

Apr 4, 2010
New York
Thanks

So I was getting unknown reason 18 error when trying to install certain apps from the market.

I've googled and search the forum. The best answer I could get was to wipe and reinstall the ROM, which I did not want to do.

Then I checked the logs and figured out the problem was that all those apps that would fail were trying to install on SD card by default.

The solution: move all the apps back to phone, put your microSD into a card reader and delete .android_secure folder. That's it! :)

Exellent amigo, now every think is perfect, now i can install all my apps, thank again.

DrCJones

Jan 25, 2011

Please, I have the same problem but I haven't space in my phone to return the SD apps. Is there another way to solve this?

Ok, so I figured out a solution that is hopefully "better" and "quicker" for all. Simply connect your phone to your computer (as USB Mass storage), browse to the folder '.android_secure' (make sure you can view hidden files/folders in windows) and delete the file 'smdl2tmp1.asec' (I just renamed it 'smdl2tmp1.asec.delete' just in case it didn't work).

Problem solved! Everything updates just fine now and I didn't have to move any apps back from the SD card to the phone. :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you're using some custom ROM, sometimes happens, that creator of such rom removed some files, which he/she understud as an obsolete.
    /system/bin/newsfs.msdos
    This script is used for creating asec repositories.

Try to use one I've uploaded.
    For example, most newcomming complainers about this problem comes from the group of Darky's 9.5 Extreme Edition ROM, in which this file is missing, and thus some apps, relying on asec repositories Angry Birds, Dolphin HD Browser Themes, and others, fail to install. My wife was one of them.

Just copy over this file (unrar first!) to the path I've noted, and be fine :D
    It worked!

Hey ho, it worked!! :) Finally the nagging issue is resolved (for me) :)