[ROM] [4.2.2] Archos 80 Cobalt - CyanogenMod 10.1

Search This thread
CyanogenMod 10.1 working on the Archos 80 Cobalt!

This is oma7144's ROM, I've been able to get it running under a bit of guidace from oma and I thought I'd share it here if anyone else is interested.

The original thread is here - but this ROM is designed for Odys Genio tablet, which has basically the same specs as the 80 Cobalt. (RockChip 3066 chip)

As always, only flash if you know what you are doing, I am not responsible for anything you do or break.

New Version 1.3.4

Thanks danielo83 for putting this zip together

Oma CM10.1 v1.3.4

Battery problem fixed and ROM is now ready for daily use

- CWM 6.0.1.5 recovery
- System ext4
- Internal Storage 2,5 GB
- PhabletUI & Multiuser
- Device spoofed as Nexus
- Ethernet Support
- Init.d support
- USB-Hub enabled
- Gameloft compatible
- Gamepad (PS2, XBox, ...)
- Kernel modules (cifs, tun, lan, serial)
- latest hosts, su, su-binary, busybox
- MX Video-Player, Apollo & FX Sound
- Reboot Menue, CPU Tweaker, Pimp my Rom
- Dateimanager HD (Root)
- Trebuchet & Nova Launcher

Instructions

Before you do anything, download the file below and extract everything to your desktop, find 'Oma RK30 CM10.1 Format NAND.zip' and copy to your externalSD card
then unmount and remove the externalSD, this is very important because if you try to boot after flashing the rom, you will not have access to the internal SD - which means you can't flash files from CWM or do anything basically

Boot to bootloader

Turn off the tablet

Unplug from charger and USB

Hold the 'volume down' button and then hold the 'power button' to turn the device on and boot into bootloader, keep holding both until you see the boot screen

• Connect USB and you will get "Unknown Device" message in windows
  • Install device drivers included in the zip below under x64 or x86 depending on your system - see gavroche's root thread if you are having trouble
  • Open up RKandroidTool.exe as administrator (located in RKDevelopTool_v1.35 folder)
  • - if you have trouble try different USB ports on your computer
  • You should see at the bottom of the RKAndroidTool "Found RK Android Loader Rock USB"
  • Click 'erase IDB' button - this will only take a few seconds
  • Now click 'Run' button, this will take a few minutes to install the ROM
  • Insert your external SD card
  • The device will boot into CWM, now choose install zip from sdcard (not internal), install Oma RK30 CM10.1 Format NAND.zip that you copied to your external SD earlier
  • Reboot, and enjoy CM10.1

--------------------------------------------------------

Downloads
http://www.mediafire.com/download/15wh4o4xwhec11o/OMA_4.2.2_CM10.1_Rom.zip

What is working
Wifi
Camera
Display
Touchscreen
Battery info showing
...everything apart from mentioned below

Known Problems -

Scren flicker when rotating screen,
When battery is low the tablet wont wake up from sleep and the power button will only reboot it instead of waking it up
- Thanks to danielolsman
- To "fix" this you could install "no sleep" from the play store.

If anyone is interested in helping get rid of these three problems please don't be shy.
I'm not a dev and I'm looking at fixing the bugs but don't really know where to start...

Credits

oma7144, gavroche

Last edited:

nikunj87

Aug 2, 2011
kage00,

Thanks for your effort!!! You're breathing new life into our tablets. We (I am sure there's a very big community alongwith me) who have been waiting for this.

I don't have my cobalt with me right now but will try and install at some point and feedback how it goes.

Are you also willing to work actively on issues and improvements. I am happy to help wherever I can. Perhaps, others will join in as well.

Thanks

Reactions: AnfieldRoar

nikunj87

Aug 2, 2011
Looking at the forum feedback from HUKD, the rom is not far from being a stable rom for day to day use. I see following general issues raised with this rom so far

1. Waking up issues after deep sleep in case when the battery is low
2. Rotation issues
3. Default language
4. Nexus port and therefore certain apps incompatibility

As mentioned earlier, I am happy to help wherever I can.

Thanks

Hey nikunj87,

Thanks for your support! I would love to be able to work on the issues with this rom but to be honest, I'm not a dev, not even close, and I wouldn't even know where to begin to start fixing the problems.

For the moment I'm looking at putting together a kernel from Archos' source and adding overclocking, I've never built a kernel before so it's a learning curve... don't hold your breath, haha!

I just thought I'd post this rom here to see if we could get some interest in the project and maybe get a dev's (or two's) attention to take a look at the problems, but for the moment it's just you and me who are interested in this.. :(

I think the best we can do is wait for an update to this rom from Oma (the original dev), as you mentioned all the problems with this rom on the cobalt are problems that exist with the same rom on other devices. So maybe with a new update it will work a bit better.

Unless if we can get someone else who knows what they are doing to take a look at it...

warwagon86

Jan 31, 2011
Hey nikunj87,

Thanks for your support! I would love to be able to work on the issues with this rom but to be honest, I'm not a dev, not even close, and I wouldn't even know where to begin to start fixing the problems.

For the moment I'm looking at putting together a kernel from Archos' source and adding overclocking, I've never built a kernel before so it's a learning curve... don't hold your breath, haha!

I just thought I'd post this rom here to see if we could get some interest in the project and maybe get a dev's (or two's) attention to take a look at the problems, but for the moment it's just you and me who are interested in this.. :(

I think the best we can do is wait for an update to this rom from Oma (the original dev), as you mentioned all the problems with this rom on the cobalt are problems that exist with the same rom on other devices. So maybe with a new update it will work a bit better.

Unless if we can get someone else who knows what they are doing to take a look at it...

willing to lend a hand tho I am only new to this stuff as well!

danielo83

Aug 5, 2010
Hardenberg
I tried this ROM, it seems that OMA posted an AKKU Fix here

I will trie it soon....

There are some problems with the camera; its inverted. The provides fix did not solve the problem, does someone know how to fix it ?

Cool! looks like we've got some attention from the devs!

So there is a new version of this ROM over at this thread

edit ----> please take note, if anyone tests this ROM you will need to keep the same kernel from the existing package in OP and use that to flash with new ROM, Otherwise you risk having a bricked device

Aparently the battery problem exists, but netlars has a possible fix on this thread if anyone can test it that would be great. My tablet is off getting fixed, I had some problems with the touchscreen.

Also Oma was asking if anyone could test this too

Are these paths there?

/sys/devices/platform/rk30-battery/startget

/sys/class/rk30_battery/rk30_battery_start_timer_work

If anyone can test and reply here please, then I can tell him on the other thread.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks danielo83,
Nice one, I'll update the OP,

I got news back from Archos repair about my tablet / touchscreen problem. They decided to replace the whole unit, so I'm going to sell the brand new one and get a Nexus 7, which means I won't be able to play around with this ROM anymore becuase I won't have the tablet. I'm happy to still keep the thread open and you guys can tell me if there's anything to update in the OP

Thanks

edit----------

In the new version do you still have the screen flicker artifacts on rotate?

Battery problem is solved (see original thread)

CM10.1 is now ready for daily use.

(@Kage00: maybe its possible for you to make a new zip package with the new boot image found here?)

EDIT:

made a zip package myself : CrewRKTablets_RK30_Cobalt 80 by Oma_CM10.1_v1.3.4.zip

Last edited:

audinswfc

May 29, 2011
Barnsley
Not sure if anyone will see this but I own an unrooted/untouched Archos 80 Cobalt which I haven't used for months. Decided to dig it out for my son to play with but I can hardly fit any apps on it so looking in to alternative roms.

Came across this rom which I want to flash but I'm unsure on how to start. Do I have to root and flash CWM on to the tablet before doing anything in this thread or are the instructions in this thread all that I need to do in order to flash this rom on to an unaltered tablet?

Yes you will need to be rooted first before using this ROM, please follow this thread to get root and CWM on your tablet then you can flash this ROM with the instructions in the OP
Yeah the storage space is limited for some stupid reason on the stock ROMs, that shouldn't be a problem on this ROM, also if you find you dont like this ROM there is also another custom ROM here based on stock 4.0.4 firmware with better app storage space

I just wanted to say as well, that Archos have released kernel sources (downloadable from their website) that are from May or June 2013 from memory. The last stock ROM built for this device was released in February 2013. Which means if anyone wants to try their hand at compiling the kernel from Archos source, it would be a newer kernel than what you are using now and it could possibly fix any left over problems with this ROM. I don't have any spare time to do it anymore, but if anyone was interested I'm sure you could find a walkthrough on XDA to tell you how to do it easily enough.
The kernel for this ROM at the moment is still the stock kernel from the stock 4.0.4 ROM, which is working, but maybe if a newer kernel was made from the sources it may work a lot better

tomaquet

Dec 4, 2012
app space and vold.fstab

Does anyone know if this ROM exists with 6gb of app space? I currently have the supersport ROM with 6gb app space and edited the vold.fstab to swap the internal and external sd cards. I’d like to do the same with this JB ROM.

How difficult would it be to edit the ROM to change the app space?

Does this ROM use the vold.fstab to set where the internal and external sd cards are mounted? (I think this has been changed in JB 4.3 but I’m not sure about 4.2.2)

Cheers, T

audinswfc

May 29, 2011
Barnsley
Yes you will need to be rooted first before using this ROM, please follow this thread to get root and CWM on your tablet then you can flash this ROM with the instructions in the OP
Yeah the storage space is limited for some stupid reason on the stock ROMs, that shouldn't be a problem on this ROM, also if you find you dont like this ROM there is also another custom ROM here based on stock 4.0.4 firmware with better app storage space

Can you please tell me why I'm getting this error when trying to follow the root instructions from?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2066972

error.png

I'm using Windows 8.1 64 bit

I'm doing this with USB debugging enabled and the device switched on as this is the only way I can get the 'ARCHOS' device to show in Device Manager under 'Other Devices.

If I put the tablet in to download mode (power + vol down) I get a dead Android symbol with red exclamation, is this normal? However when I insert USB cable in to the device at this point my computer doesn't bring up the 'ARCHOS' device in Device Manager...

All I get then is this:

error2.png

Last edited:
I don't actually have this tablet anymore, but I remember mine being a bit strange when I first tried to root it too. It can be a bit temperamental... I remember reading someone saying somewhere about leaving the charger plugged in when trying to reboot into download or recovery mode, if that doesn't work try with the USB cable (or both) plugged in while you try.
I also remember with mine I had to direct windows to the specific driver folder extracted from the zip based on which drivers you need, eg, x86 or x64 etc.

You could also look at this thread http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?3244-Archos-80-Cobalt-900-supersport-rom where the might be more info on root.

I'm using windows 7 though, so I don't know exactly what differences there are with win 8.

If all else fails just keep searching and reading all/any forums you can find about rooting the thing, I'm sure you'll find that someone has had the same or similar problem

good luck

Reactions: audinswfc

adam7862

Aug 9, 2012
I don't actually have this tablet anymore, but I remember mine being a bit strange when I first tried to root it too. It can be a bit temperamental... I remember reading someone saying somewhere about leaving the charger plugged in when trying to reboot into download or recovery mode, if that doesn't work try with the USB cable (or both) plugged in while you try.
I also remember with mine I had to direct windows to the specific driver folder extracted from the zip based on which drivers you need, eg, x86 or x64 etc.

You could also look at this thread http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?3244-Archos-80-Cobalt-900-supersport-rom where the might be more info on root.

I'm using windows 7 though, so I don't know exactly what differences there are with win 8.

If all else fails just keep searching and reading all/any forums you can find about rooting the thing, I'm sure you'll find that someone has had the same or similar problem

good luck

Hi do you have any idea how to get XBMC working with this rom? XBMC just goes back to home screen whenever i try launching it?

dibnah

May 26, 2006
For xbmc you will need an older version of it. The one from August seemed to be the one to use for most people with the same issues on the HP slate 7 so am guessing it will sort your issue too. A quick search on Google should locate the archives for you

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk

Reactions: adam7862

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod 10.1 working on the Archos 80 Cobalt!

This is oma7144's ROM, I've been able to get it running under a bit of guidace from oma and I thought I'd share it here if anyone else is interested.

The original thread is here - but this ROM is designed for Odys Genio tablet, which has basically the same specs as the 80 Cobalt. (RockChip 3066 chip)

As always, only flash if you know what you are doing, I am not responsible for anything you do or break.

New Version 1.3.4

Thanks danielo83 for putting this zip together

Oma CM10.1 v1.3.4

Battery problem fixed and ROM is now ready for daily use

- CWM 6.0.1.5 recovery
    - System ext4
    - Internal Storage 2,5 GB
    - PhabletUI & Multiuser
    - Device spoofed as Nexus
    - Ethernet Support
    - Init.d support
    - USB-Hub enabled
    - Gameloft compatible
    - Gamepad (PS2, XBox, ...)
    - Kernel modules (cifs, tun, lan, serial)
    - latest hosts, su, su-binary, busybox
    - MX Video-Player, Apollo & FX Sound
    - Reboot Menue, CPU Tweaker, Pimp my Rom
    - Dateimanager HD (Root)
    - Trebuchet & Nova Launcher

Instructions

Before you do anything, download the file below and extract everything to your desktop, find 'Oma RK30 CM10.1 Format NAND.zip' and copy to your externalSD card
    then unmount and remove the externalSD, this is very important because if you try to boot after flashing the rom, you will not have access to the internal SD - which means you can't flash files from CWM or do anything basically

Boot to bootloader

Turn off the tablet

Unplug from charger and USB

Hold the 'volume down' button and then hold the 'power button' to turn the device on and boot into bootloader, keep holding both until you see the boot screen

• Connect USB and you will get "Unknown Device" message in windows
    • Install device drivers included in the zip below under x64 or x86 depending on your system - see gavroche's root thread if you are having trouble
    • Open up RKandroidTool.exe as administrator (located in RKDevelopTool_v1.35 folder)
    • - if you have trouble try different USB ports on your computer
    • You should see at the bottom of the RKAndroidTool "Found RK Android Loader Rock USB"
    • Click 'erase IDB' button - this will only take a few seconds
    • Now click 'Run' button, this will take a few minutes to install the ROM
    • Insert your external SD card
    • The device will boot into CWM, now choose install zip from sdcard (not internal), install Oma RK30 CM10.1 Format NAND.zip that you copied to your external SD earlier
    • Reboot, and enjoy CM10.1

Downloads
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/15wh4o4xwhec11o/OMA_4.2.2_CM10.1_Rom.zip

What is working
    Wifi
    Camera
    Display
    Touchscreen
    Battery info showing
    ...everything apart from mentioned below

Known Problems -

Scren flicker when rotating screen,
    When battery is low the tablet wont wake up from sleep and the power button will only reboot it instead of waking it up
    - Thanks to danielolsman
    - To "fix" this you could install "no sleep" from the play store.

If anyone is interested in helping get rid of these three problems please don't be shy.
    I'm not a dev and I'm looking at fixing the bugs but don't really know where to start...

Credits

oma7144, gavroche
    the new version still has the rotate "problem".

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
    I just wanted to say as well, that Archos have released kernel sources (downloadable from their website) that are from May or June 2013 from memory. The last stock ROM built for this device was released in February 2013. Which means if anyone wants to try their hand at compiling the kernel from Archos source, it would be a newer kernel than what you are using now and it could possibly fix any left over problems with this ROM. I don't have any spare time to do it anymore, but if anyone was interested I'm sure you could find a walkthrough on XDA to tell you how to do it easily enough.
    The kernel for this ROM at the moment is still the stock kernel from the stock 4.0.4 ROM, which is working, but maybe if a newer kernel was made from the sources it may work a lot better
    Battery problem is solved (see original thread)

CM10.1 is now ready for daily use.

(@Kage00: maybe its possible for you to make a new zip package with the new boot image found here?)

EDIT:

made a zip package myself : CrewRKTablets_RK30_Cobalt 80 by Oma_CM10.1_v1.3.4.zip