[N2E] Nook 2nd Edition Touch - Root

Search This thread

actorman46

Mar 5, 2011
Ann Arbor
I think it will still end up flashing every page. The touch doesn't flash every page of a nookbook because it buffers them. Its not going to do that for other apps.

Sent from my NookColor

zonyl

Jul 24, 2007
BTW: ADW launcher works on the Nook as well ;) Can launch apps / browser / etc. Apparently the device has bluetooth as well. Hopefully I can get that working so I can hear some music while reading.

nemith

Jun 20, 2010
Can someone please run the following

adb shell mount
adb shell df (may need busybox)
adb shell cat /proc/partitions
adb shell cat /proc/cmdline
adb shell cat /proc/cpuinfo
adb shell dmesg (perferably right after a reboot)

Also a system dump would be awesome. I ordered my NookT online so it's enroute.

Masterface7

Dec 31, 2007
Hi, Can someone post a backup image of an unrooted nook touch / or can someone tell me how to make a backup image on a windows 7 machine. thanks

B3RL1N

Sep 26, 2009
Las Vegas
tyler.berlin
So, if bluetooth theoretically "works" (and correct me if I'm wrong on that) does that mean that we could listen to outbound sounds on the NT if we were to route the audio to a headset via an app like BTMono?

Can you say, Audiobooks?

Just putting it out there.

Masterface7

Dec 31, 2007
I got mine rooted and installed adw and enabled non market installs. i am trying out manga watcher right now and it installed no problem but i had some trouble adding a series. So i used a backup i created on my nook color and it restored fine however when ever i tap on a series it goes back to the adw home screen.

edit: it seems like there isn't enough ram so the app just closes

perfect viewer is working great although i need to get some sort of soft buttons next which means first i need super user

Last edited:

Masterface7

Dec 31, 2007
I think i have run into a problem. Alright so i pretty much opened my box and rooted this thing so i don't know about the stock experience but when i go to my library i have one book downloaded when i click on it it asks for my name and credit card number to unlock the book not sure what that is about. Also, when i try to download another book in my library that i have already paid for it just comes up as "problem downloading please try again later"

How do you launch the launcher? Do you need to use adb to launch ADW?

it is still kinda lacking but when i boot up it asks which home i want to boot I choose adw at that point. If i am in an app i make sure to back out to get back to adw. hopefully someone can change the function of the n button to be a normal homebutton instead of bringing up that menu.

nook color tools seems to work

Lastly i just got button savior working so now i have a working home button and always present back button so that make getting around a lot easier.

I really wish manga watcher worked

Last edited:

MystaWright

Apr 11, 2007
Denver
I got mine rooted and installed adw and enabled non market installs. i am trying out manga watcher right now and it installed no problem but i had some trouble adding a series. So i used a backup i created on my nook color and it restored fine however when ever i tap on a series it goes back to the adw home screen.

edit: it seems like there isn't enough ram so the app just closes

perfect viewer is working great although i need to get some sort of soft buttons next which means first i need super user
I've been working on non market installs all day. How did you do it?
irc://irc.freenode.org/#nookdevs

to run an app from adb shell run am start -n <name of app>/.Launcher

Last edited:

Michael.Rose

Mar 21, 2006
Huntington, NY
Using K9 on Nook Touch!

It is awesome! :) It works perfectly for reading e-mail! It even works in portrait mode once it is set from ADW. This tablet seriously needs a proper Android install. We have to get the N button sorted out to open the launcher and hack the Honeycomb onscreen buttons onto this thing!

zonyl

Jul 24, 2007
It is awesome! :) It works perfectly for reading e-mail! It even works in portrait mode once it is set from ADW. This tablet seriously needs a proper Android install. We have to get the N button sorted out to open the launcher and hack the Honeycomb onscreen buttons onto this thing!

We need a CM7 port. ;) Im new to the Nook * stuff so its taking me a while to learn, so hopefully someone with some NookColor ROM experience could lend a hand here.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Threw this together to showcase all that we've got going on here over on the XDA forums.

Credits been given where credit is due.
    Probably won't be too entertaining for anyone who has already rooted their nook. ;)

You can find my wallpaper here:
    nookDroid

Imaged is sized so you don't have any issues cropping it using the default Android gallery app.
    Nook with an identity Crisis! Got Kindle on the Nook ;)
    No problems here,WTF, just exploration.
    Lol, just checking.

Thanks folks for your reply! Calling their support indeed helped, I made a really STUPID mistake of registering onto a wrong account (xxxx@hotMAL.com instead of xxxx@hotMAIL.com) but B&N website was nice enough to not detect that it isn't a valid email address :/
    Haha, I've been working with computers all my life, I can't tell you how many times I've encountered something that's frustrated me to some lengthy extent to only come to the conclusion that I mistyped something or it was a simple mistake.

Lastly, I switched out three of the theme for Button Savior with my own icons to increase contrast. I totally redrew them from scratch, only one I copied over was the "Settings" button, made my own and didn't like it. Liked the old one too much. I'll contact jerryfan2000 and see if he'll have a problem with me either
    A) Sending him my themes so he can make a release for us or
    B) Let me redistribute under the premise that I use test keys to sign the apk.

Until then, I made two mistakes that I need to fix before I post any apk.

There's three themes.
    • Black and white (Black outline, white center)
    • Metro (Black Square, white center) Like WP7
    • Transparent (Black outline, white center at 15% opacity[Not in photo])

IMG_0184.jpg

I also doubled the size of the "Minimize" button and reskinned it. God-sent if you ask me.

I'll get to this over the weekend.
    WHY did I take summer classes this semester!? Man I'm stupid, no free time. Doesn't help that I work too.
    Check Signature for link to TouchNooter, which contains Root/Su/Busybox/Gapps and some extras.
    Thanks the forum for information about rooting the NookTouch. I rooted my new NookTouch and tried various programs. FYI, the following is the list of programs that work and don't work on NookTouch.

Working

Opera Mini (There are zoom buttons !. But it cannot access the local host (192.168.x.x))
    Opera Mobile (It can access the local host)
    Dictionary.com
    NewsRob
    Kindle
    Documents to Go
    Dropbox
    InstaFetch
    Aldiko
    ASTRO file manager
    SpeedTest.net
    PG Calculator
    BuzzBox RSS
    Evernote
    Moon+ Reader (The physical buttons can also change pages !!! and every page is refreshed. No more ghosting issue)
    ADW Launcher (Maybe the only launcher that can change background color of Drawer)
    Advanced Task Killer (a Must have)
    Button Savior (a Must have)
    NookColor Tools (a Must have)
    Superuser (a Must have)

Not Working

Dolphin Browser HD (The textbox for entering URL is messed up with the Nook search)
    Dolphin Browser (The textbox for entering URL is messed up with the Nook search)
    Skyfire Browser (The textbox for entering URL is messed up with the Nook search)
    xScope Browser (The textbox for entering URL is messed up with the Nook search)
    Adobe Reader
    Titanium Backup
    Google Sky Map (Multi-touch cannot be used)