[ANDROID] Official Palmdroid Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Joolz03

Aug 10, 2010
Tried chdroid but it its not optimized. and I had to give up the webos interface with cm7. Hope this will be the best of both worlds and solve the problem.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA App

knownboyofno

Mar 23, 2008
Oh, it's not dead... Not yet. When I get some free time to play around with my TouchPad, I'm going to work on this still. Probably not this weekend, but hopefully soon.

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

If someone can get me started I am willing to help. I haven't done this type of stuff before. I need to setup everything up. Thanks for any help with this.

pizzaboy192

Sep 15, 2010
Plymouth, MN, USA
Anyways... Is there any chance that we'll be getting PalmDroid? I've seen that AlienDalvik is getting along well with other devices... I want to be able to run android apps without having to reboot my Touchpad... It just doesn't make sense to have to reboot to play a game or run a single app.

Sent from my HP Mini using an Internet Browser.

EViollet

Aug 9, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Quick question

Just a quick question.

Why do you guys want this so dearly? Why do you want to keep WebOS? For the task management? WebOS cards are nice, but you have equivalents on Android. As for the rest, running apps in CM7 on the Touchpad is sooooo much faster/nicer than on WebOS. WebOS is crippled with bugs and is far too slow for real use. CM7 really shows what a beast the Touchpad is.

I've been running CM7 alpha since day1 and will never return to WebOS despite the fact that I have bought a few apps on the store. It's really night and day.

This is a serious question. I'm not trying to troll, I'm just trying to understand. Porting Android on WebOS in cards is not an easy task, and I really can't understand why a developper would devote so much time to an OS that, in my opinion, really doesn't deserve it.

Regards,

Reactions: aowendoff

Segnale007

Feb 24, 2010
Mexico City
twitter.com
Just a quick question.

Why do you guys want this so dearly? Why do you want to keep WebOS? For the task management? WebOS cards are nice, but you have equivalents on Android. As for the rest, running apps in CM7 on the Touchpad is sooooo much faster/nicer than on WebOS. WebOS is crippled with bugs and is far too slow for real use. CM7 really shows what a beast the Touchpad is.

I've been running CM7 alpha since day1 and will never return to WebOS despite the fact that I have bought a few apps on the store. It's really night and day.

This is a serious question. I'm not trying to troll, I'm just trying to understand. Porting Android on WebOS in cards is not an easy task, and I really can't understand why a developper would devote so much time to an OS that, in my opinion, really doesn't deserve it.

Regards,

I have got my touchpad delivered yesterday and I can't really notice any of the bugs ur claiming it has, apart from the lack of a decent browser. As soon as I turned it on it started upgrading the OS to latest 3.04, and after the reboot the overall experience is more than great. I like the UI, love how u can manage ur apps in cards, some apps are really great and well optimized for it, the HP catalog itself looks gorgeous and valid apps are getting better and better, and most important it seems like HP hasn't discontinued WebOS, which makes me think twice before to switch to something else.

Not that I don't like Android, I do love Android, but WebOS is a great and valid platform, and it would helps even more if u guys not interested stop to come bull**** on this thread. Seriously..

Android is a great option and is worth to have it, but this doesn't mean that WebOS can go to hell just because we have android now ... This is like acting like a funboy, though this is what most of u are here on XDA.

GTFO!!!

Last edited:

EViollet

Aug 9, 2010
Google Pixel 5
I have got my touchpad delivered yesterday and I can't really notice any of the bugs ur claiming it has, apart from the lack of a decent browser. As soon as I turned it on it started upgrading the OS to latest 3.04, and after the reboot the overall experience is more than great. I like the UI, love how u can manage ur apps in cards, some apps are really great and well optimized for it, the HP catalog itself looks gorgeous and valid apps are getting better and better, and most important it seems like HP hasn't discontinued WebOS, which makes me think twice before to switch to something else.

Not that I don't like Android, I do love Android, but WebOS is a great and valid platform, and it would helps even more if u guys not interested stop to come bull**** on this thread. Seriously..

Android is a great option and is worth to have it, but this doesn't mean that WebOS can go to hell just because we have android now ... This is like acting like a funboy, though this is what most of u are here on XDA.

GTFO!!!

OK. I won't comment on all this, list the numerous bugs I've encountered, etc.. I don't want to start a flame war. The purpose of my message was to see why the developper would want to continue this project. Apparently it's kind of dead.

And just for the record, I WAS interested in the project, and was actually quite excited by WebOS when I bought my Touchpad. So I feel that your aggressive answer is rather uncalled for.

Regards,

pizzaboy192

Sep 15, 2010
Plymouth, MN, USA
Just a quick question.

Regards,

To be blunt: I don't like Android.

It's not that I haven't used it or that I don't like change... It's just that I honestly dislike the way that it works and how it feels.
I've used a Galaxy Tab 7, a Dell Streak, and an Asus Transformer... but I didn't really have any sort of "wow" factor when I tried it. It was unimpressive and made me feel a little left out as to what was so great about it.
I've used the phone version as well, but I've never seen anything that grabbed my attention there either. It's always felt like it was thrown together and never really fit right together.

But that's just my opinion. I've never really liked it and haven't really had a need to replace the copy of Windows Mobile on my phone, or WebOS on my tablet. I just can't accept that they're really superior to what I am already using.

If I can have a real reason to switch from WebOS to Android beyond the "thousands of apps" and the ability to use Netflix on my tablet, Then there isn't a reason for me. It's as simple as that. I would rather have android in a box and use it when I want, than have to reboot just to use a single feature of Android that WebOS doesn't have.

-pizzaboy192

Daughain

Nov 23, 2010
DFW, Tx
Not to get off topic here, but have we heard anything about the current state of development for this project?

Sent from my very "non-stock" TP.

mengesb

Not to get off topic here, but have we heard anything about the current state of development for this project?

Sent from my very "non-stock" TP.

Last update that I was aware of were - some compile errors are still being worked out, including a linked library requirement conflict of some sort. Not sure if the dev can enlighten us as to the current status. Please Sir? (Can I have some more?)

Reactions: IlluminatedOne

madnish30

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2009
New Delhi-India.
Since no major progress has been made by the team in a long time, and lots of flaming and off topic talks going on in this thread.
And we don't need any of that, especially in the dev section.

I'm closing it.
@OP : If you make some progress and want to publish it - just PM me, I shall restore the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Cousins! I am creating a new thread for the official PalmDroid project. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, keep this new thread for only dev news and progress. We have created a new thread for three reasons. First off, the project starter roto-rooter, has been inactive for a while. Also, there hasn't been much ACTUAL dev news in the last thread. Finally, we feel like we would get more notoriety in this section than in the WebOS section.

After speaking with some of you it has become readily apparent that while many people are comfortable waiting for a full android release for the HP Touchpad, there are also quite a few people out there that do not want to switch to a full android OS but simply wish they could have access to the vast app collection that android has to offer.

For these people I offer a solution.

Palmdroid
    palmdroidlogorev2.png

The Palmdroid project is going to be an ongoing development project to bring a Dalvik like port to the Palm/HP WebOS operating system.

The goals of this project are as follows:

1) to offer a Dalvik port to WebOS that allows for android app emulation as if they were native WebOS apps much like Alien Dalvik on the nokia n900 or the app emulator of the blackberry playbook

2) Share useful information throughout development with the Touchdroid team as to help them reach their end goals and avoid conflicting and overlapping work as well as to foster collaboration and new ideas to speed the project along.

3)If possible (either worked into the project from the start or through later additions) provide the emulator as a download through the WebOS homebrew App catalog.

Now with the goals outlined I'll move on to how this is going to get going and what needs to happen next.

1) First and foremost... I need volunteer developers. If you have experience with Dalvik, WebOS development, Android development, UI development, C++, Java, Etc. I would like you to PM me with details regarding what you can help with. I have some java and C++ experience as well as a ton of web dev and project management experience but with alot of this I am learning as I go and if this is going to get done with any sort of speed I NEED your help.

2) I will be setting up communication channels for the dev team to discuss what needs to be done, share work, etc.

3) I will be setting up a web page (an extension off of my own since I can't finance purchasing another hosting account or domain name right now) where there will be regular updates on the status of the project as well as a section for the dev team as a repository for project related research, source code bits, group status reports etc.

Until the aforementioned steps are met this thread will be used to offer info, updates, and discussion related to development of Palmdroid.

I hope to have the support of the community here as we move ahead... i know I am new around here but I am very passionate about making this happen.

WebOS is a great operating system... and Android has some amazing apps... won't it be an amazing world when you can have both!

The Team (so far):
    Developers: SpencerElliott, cyrux004, pullathomas, Childofthehorn
    Idea Creators: Roto-rooter, FAILHARD

Palmdroid Coming Soon
    I've been able to compile dalvikvm using the PDK toolchain but I still feel like all of the shared libraries (libdvm, libssl, etc) will need to be compiled using Palm's toolchain just to be safe. When I try to run dalvikvm on the device, I get a segmentation fault and I can't trace it back.

Code:
    Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
    0x2aab64c4 in _dl_relocate_object () from /lib/ld-linux.so.3

Progress is (slowly) being made though. :) Once dalvikvm isn't crashing, it should print out

Code:
    Dalvik VM init failed (check log file)

And that means it's ready to accept bytecode (just needs to be configured first)

SEPT 15 UPDATE: Not much happened since the last update but I'm narrowing down what I believe are the issues with the segmentation fault.
    So I'm going back and compiling the different libraries needed for Dalvik (libssl, libz, libdvm, libdex, etc.) using the Palm PDK libraries. So far I have libdex compiling and I've been able to create a static library from it, so one of them down, a bunch to go.

I haven't pushed any of the code just yet because the folders are a mess right now and it isn't exactly usable but I should hopefully have some more libraries compiling before the weekend :)
    Since no major progress has been made by the team in a long time, and lots of flaming and off topic talks going on in this thread.
    And we don't need any of that, especially in the dev section.

I'm closing it.
    @OP : If you make some progress and want to publish it - just PM me, I shall restore the thread.

Just a quick question.

Regards,

To be blunt: I don't like Android.

It's not that I haven't used it or that I don't like change... It's just that I honestly dislike the way that it works and how it feels.
    I've used a Galaxy Tab 7, a Dell Streak, and an Asus Transformer... but I didn't really have any sort of "wow" factor when I tried it. It was unimpressive and made me feel a little left out as to what was so great about it.
    I've used the phone version as well, but I've never seen anything that grabbed my attention there either. It's always felt like it was thrown together and never really fit right together.

But that's just my opinion. I've never really liked it and haven't really had a need to replace the copy of Windows Mobile on my phone, or WebOS on my tablet. I just can't accept that they're really superior to what I am already using.

If I can have a real reason to switch from WebOS to Android beyond the "thousands of apps" and the ability to use Netflix on my tablet, Then there isn't a reason for me. It's as simple as that. I would rather have android in a box and use it when I want, than have to reboot just to use a single feature of Android that WebOS doesn't have.

-pizzaboy192