[BOOT ANIMATION] Custom Boot Animations (Updated 6/26)

Search This thread

Argumentation

Feb 21, 2012
Washinton, DC
I just updated the OP with a new Ingress Intro boot animation. The game looks pretty bad ass.... I signed up for an invitation. Maybe I'll get to check it out.

Anyways, check out the boot animation and let me know what you think. IMO I think it turned out pretty dang sweet. The resolution is 608x1080 so the file size is a little larger than normal... but it's worth it (I think).

You need an invite? I can invite you if you want, I'm a pretty high level so I got a few invites. :good:

djsnake210

Jul 6, 2011
Fort Worth, TX
www.tech210.com
Re: [BOOT ANIMATION] Custom Boot Animations (Updated 3/21)

I posted the boot animation on the ingress g+ page in hopes of earning an invite but it didn't work.

Looks pretty cool though... Hopefully I'll score an invite at some point.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Togetec

Jan 13, 2013
Is there any way you could direct us to a guide for making our own animations out of gifs? I've been unsuccessful with all the guides I've found.

Last edited:

djsnake210

Jul 6, 2011
Fort Worth, TX
www.tech210.com
Is there any way you could direct us to a guide for making our own animations out of gifs? I've been unsuccessful with all the guides I've found.

Hmmm i'll have to check. I normally use ffmpeg to split the video files into images... I'm not sure if it works with gifs. Of course if you can contert the gif to an avi or other video format then you can use ffmpeg. Let me know if you are unfamiliar with it and i can probably write something up or throw up some helpful links.

One issue that you may want to consider when using a gif is the resolution. Normally gifs have a lower resolution... So when it gets converted it will need blown up to 1920x1080 which could cause the animation to be pixelated.

I hope this helps. Feel free to hit me up if i can be of any further assistance.

Togetec

Jan 13, 2013
Hmmm i'll have to check. I normally use ffmpeg to split the video files into images... I'm not sure if it works with gifs. Of course if you can contert the gif to an avi or other video format then you can use ffmpeg. Let me know if you are unfamiliar with it and i can probably write something up or throw up some helpful links.

One issue that you may want to consider when using a gif is the resolution. Normally gifs have a lower resolution... So when it gets converted it will need blown up to 1920x1080 which could cause the animation to be pixelated.

I hope this helps. Feel free to hit me up if i can be of any further assistance.

Any help would be great. I think my problem is the desc.txt and knowing how many files to put into which part folders. I found a thread with instructions but couldn't get it to work.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1993710

Thanks again

djsnake210

Jul 6, 2011
Fort Worth, TX
www.tech210.com
Any help would be great. I think my problem is the desc.txt and knowing how many files to put into which part folders. I found a thread with instructions but couldn't get it to work.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1993710

Thanks again

I don't think it matters how many images are in each of the folders... up to a certain point (I've had 300+).

Question... Are you talking about using an animated gif or just gif images? If it's an animated gif then it won't work... and actually if it's gif images then I'm still not sure if it'll work. I've only used jpeg and png files for boot animations.

What happens when you load the boot ani? Are you getting a black screen or is it the word ANDROID with an animated glare (stock android boot animation)?

Reactions: Togetec

Togetec

Jan 13, 2013
I don't think it matters how many images are in each of the folders... up to a certain point (I've had 300+).

Question... Are you talking about using an animated gif or just gif images? If it's an animated gif then it won't work... and actually if it's gif images then I'm still not sure if it'll work. I've only used jpeg and png files for boot animations.

What happens when you load the boot ani? Are you getting a black screen or is it the word ANDROID with an animated glare (stock android boot animation)?

I get a black screen. I tried using a gif exploder to get each frame as a gif then i used an image converter to convert to png or jpg.
I also tried using gif2boot but it didn't have a 1080x1920 option so i tried making one with the closest resolution and changing the desc.txt but that also got a black screen.

Last edited:

djsnake210

Jul 6, 2011
Fort Worth, TX
www.tech210.com
Gotcha... Cool.

Make sure there is a line break after the last line that has actual text in it. Take a look at one of my desc.txt files as an example because it's kinda hard to explain... But yeah make sure when you are in the desc.txt file that you go to the end of the last line that you have text in and hit enter then save.

Togetec

Jan 13, 2013
Gotcha... Cool.

Make sure there is a line break after the last line that has actual text in it. Take a look at one of my desc.txt files as an example because it's kinda hard to explain... But yeah make sure when you are in the desc.txt file that you go to the end of the last line that you have text in and hit enter then save.

The line break did it. Thanks for all your help. :highfive:
I attached it if you would like to see what you helped create. I didn't really optimize the picture size yet but it works for now (edit: made it better).
Thanks again!

Attachments

• bootanimation.zip
    793.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

djsnake210

Jul 6, 2011
Fort Worth, TX
www.tech210.com
The line break did it. Thanks for all your help. :highfive:
I attached it if you would like to see what you helped create. I didn't really optimize the picture size yet but it works for now.
Thanks again!

Rock on I'm glad I could help. That boot ani is pretty funny... lol. Great job on your first!

Grimmity

Apr 5, 2013
West Coast
So what's everyone's take on landscape boot animations? I try to stay away from them with phones because you hold a phone vertically, but the Drift animation turned out ok.

Should I keep them coming in portrait or should I toss in some more landscape?

That is of course assuming anyone cares.... lol.

I'll put my vote towards keeping it portrait considering I'm not turning on my phone to necessarily watch the boot ani and would have no urge to turn my phone sideways just to keep watching. It's kind of just cool to have and different from what you're given.... I almost do it just so I can have what I chose, you know what I mean?

djsnake210

Jul 6, 2011
Fort Worth, TX
www.tech210.com
I definitely prefer portrait because I flash a lot and turning ny head sideways every time I reboot would cause neck damage.

Lol really through portrait is like my vote x 10

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I agree. Maybe during my trip over the next couple of weeks I can get some new ones whipped up.

Any suggestions?

Top Liked Posts