Anyone NOT using a screen pritector?

Search This thread

axlastro

Jan 6, 2008
So is anyone using their phone without a protector and do you have any scratches yet? I remember using the original galaxy S for an year without one and I sold it with basically perfect screen (maybe some micro scratches). So how about the G2, do you thing it wiol scratch easily if kept in pockets?

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

revan17

Dec 23, 2010
Zagreb
I couldn't find a protector which fits properly so I'm running naked. No scratches here in almost 6 months. But I'm rather careful with all my phones. Phone always goes in an empty pocket.

Jbcarrera

Oct 18, 2010
Winter Garden
after my Gnex got scratches from my keys (and I tried my hardest not to keep them in the same pocket) I got one for my G2. The Zagg hd is good if you have a case since the parts not covered are covered by the case

donkon

Nov 13, 2010
No screen protector and have only 1 little scratch almost invisible when you forget about it.

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

GooeyGravy

Jan 1, 2014
Been naked for 2 months and not a single scratch. Had my S2 for almost 3 years and only got 1 scratch.

axlastro

Jan 6, 2008
So I guess it's a matter of luck then. I'll think about it.

tsells

Mar 8, 2014
So I guess it's a matter of luck then. I'll think about it.

This is my first phone that I decided to go "naked" with. I am really careful and keep it in my pocket with no keys, change, etc. Unfortunately I did get one 1" scratch on the screen, so this "puppy" will scratch.

axlastro

Jan 6, 2008
I removed the protector as it wasn't applied properly. I'm going to put a protector again, but it really feels much smoother without one. The funny thing is my Canon digital cameras both have 3" glass screens and no protectors and yet no scratches.

Tikiflame

Oct 17, 2012
Carried a note 2 without screen protector in an OtterBox for a year, 1 small scratch in top right corner.
(had something else in pocket with phone - this is a no no.)
Carrying G2 for 2 months no case or screen protection, but I do recommend a case without screen protector.

the choice is yours, its a piece of expensive candy.

and so is flashing twrp, roms and so on.​

oadam11

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 19, 2013
plus.google.com
I used to use zagg but didnt like the feel of it so I having been running my phone naked for the past few months. So far I only have noticed tiny hairthin scratches which arent a big deal for me.

I am considering getting a tempered glass screen protector since it will obviously feel like glass.

harunjo

Aug 5, 2009
Jakarta
i never use it , my nexus one and samsung s3 still dont have any scratch until now..and i hope my g2 screen do same thing for me.

the scratch usually will happen on oleophobic layer of the screen..and not actually sratch your gorilla glass

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

schnip

Dec 6, 2010
no protector. no scratches. i keep my phone in my pocket with nothing else in the pocket tho

wszwsz

Jul 10, 2013
Warsaw
No screen protector and have only 1 little scratch almost invisible when you forget about it.

I got exactly the same situation. One scratch but almost 1,5cm long. It seems i need to forget about it :) :( still haven't found out when and where it happened. I think GGlass was better on my Samsung S2. I used it for almost 2yrs without any screen protector and no single scratch.

Lawlrus

Nov 20, 2013
I haven't used one for three months now. No scratches. I treat my phone better than my ol lady though.

Sent from my Vs980 Running Xdabbeb's 24a

abhinav.tella

Jan 8, 2011
Minneapolis
My old Galaxy S and Optimus 2x never got any scratches being Gorilla Glass 1, but Ive heard many with Gorilla Glass 2 and 3 are getting scratches more easily, so since reading scratch stories One X, GS3 and other forums Ive started using a screen protector.

axlastro

Jan 6, 2008
I reapplied my screen protector no bubbles this time, seems like gg2 is not as durable. My galaxy S was indestructible. My sg3 was POS with gg2, so probably the same here. Thinking of some screen protector that feels like glass. Any suggestions?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    From an article: http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/i...ass-which-will-apple-use-in-iphone-6-3505553/

Sapphire Glass costs roughly 10 times more than Gorilla Glass. (Machine tooling is much more expensive and production about 4,000 times longer than Gorilla Glass at a much higher temperature)
    Sapphire Glass is roughly 1.6 times heavier than Gorilla Glass.
    The manufacturing process is not environmentally friendly because it takes about 100 times more energy to generate Sapphire than Gorilla Glass.
    It transmits less light. This means either the screen will be dimmer, or it will have to use more power.
    While scratch resistant, Sapphire breaks under less pressure than Gorilla Glass (according to a Corning test, therefore this is questionable).
    While most metals such as car keys are softer than Gorilla Glass 2 (6+ hardness) which is on the LG G2, quartz (hardness of 7), which is typically found in sand and rock, will definitely scratch it. Rock has been shown in controlled testing to easily scratch even Gorilla Glass 3. These are facts and are not in dispute. Net of it is that if you get a little bit of sand in your dedicated pocket and it rubs against your screen or on your finger that is used to swipe the screen, you will get a scratch.

Given that I can't tolerate scratches, even little ones, I normally swap out plastic screen protectors after a couple of months of use. Today, I use the iLoome Flex Glass which is rated at 8H. It is, by far, the best screen protector I've ever used. It is completely unnoticeable, and supposedly not susceptible to scratches from common materials.

#1 Talc
    #2 Gypsum
    #3 Calcite
    #4 Fluorite
    #5 Apatite
    #6 Feldspar
    #7 Quartz
    #8 Topaz / iLoome Flex Glass
    #9 Corundum
    #10 Diamond
    While most metals such as car keys are softer than Gorilla Glass 2 (6+ hardness) which is on the LG G2, quartz (hardness of 7), which is typically found in sand and rock, will definitely scratch it. Rock has been shown in controlled testing to easily scratch even Gorilla Glass 3. These are facts and are not in dispute. Net of it is that if you get a little bit of sand in your dedicated pocket and it rubs against your screen or on your finger that is used to swipe the screen, you will get a scratch.

Given that I can't tolerate scratches, even little ones, I normally swap out plastic screen protectors after a couple of months of use. Today, I use the iLoome Flex Glass which is rated at 8H. It is, by far, the best screen protector I've ever used. It is completely unnoticeable, and supposedly not susceptible to scratches from common materials.

#1 Talc
    #2 Gypsum
    #3 Calcite
    #4 Fluorite
    #5 Apatite
    #6 Feldspar
    #7 Quartz
    #8 Topaz / iLoome Flex Glass
    #9 Corundum
    #10 Diamond

8H does not stand for 8 on Mohs scale, but rather is a reference to the graphite pencil test, meaning it resists scratching from H8 graphite pencil, which basically means it is a BS value that usually misleads the consumer, and it is no harder than any window glass out there, or rather it is actually softer, because most normal glass is at least 9H(and that's still ways off of anything the hardness needs to be to resist sand).
    8 on Mohs scale would require some super special glass, of which I am not even sure they make(sapphire glass is Mohs 9, would love to have a screen protector made out of that) and that the iLoome is not, unfortunately.

The main and almost only real scratch danger for glass screens is common sand(no matter if it's gorilla or not, Gorilla glass doesn't protect you from scratches any better against sand than any ordinary piece of glass), so if you frequent areas that you might pick even a single grain of sand from, ALWAYS clean your pockets well before putting the phone back in there if you want to be absolutely sure of not scratching the screen, and check your palms for any grains that you might put in there on the same go, because you WILL have sand on there even if you think you haven't touched any, I have sad experiences of this from multiple accounts.

If one just frequents urban city areas with no real access to sand, one rarely gets any sand in one's pocket, thus having a very low probability of ever scratching their screen; so it is not really about luck, it is what kind of areas one frequents, and how tidy one manages to keep their pockets :)
    for me, a screen protector is a must. If you can spend hundreds on a phone like this, then why can't you spend a little more on a screen protector?