4.4 for nexus 10 rolling out starting today?

Search This thread

Domino45

Sep 8, 2010
Nah, I've seen one guy on XDA and one on reddit.

I am alexpasquarella on Reddit. I've been lurking this post ever since what happened to me with the N10 4.4 update. I can assure you all that the 4.4 rollout has started, but after I got it the first time (last night around 11:00 pm EST is when I turned on my device and saw it waiting) and my device soft bricked, I have not been able to pull it again. I had to do a factory reset with the 4.3 image and everything.

starkilling

Oct 14, 2011
I am alexpasquarella on Reddit. I've been lurking this post ever since what happened to me with the N10 4.4 update. I can assure you all that the 4.4 rollout has started, but after I got it the first time (last night around 11:00 pm EST is when I turned on my device and saw it waiting) and my device soft bricked, I have not been able to pull it again. I had to do a factory reset with the 4.3 image and everything.

Could you try clearing data & cache for GSF? Maybe rebooting and checking again? You got it once, I figure you should be able to get it again. Which country are you from?

Oh, and, obviously, don't just go right ahead installing it. Pull the file or filename from /cache.

Last edited:

Domino45

Sep 8, 2010
Could you try clearing data & cache for GSF? Maybe rebooting and checking again? You got it once, I figure you should be able to get it again. Which country are you from?

Currently trying. I'm in NY. I've done a few reboots, and I already cleared the framework once. Just cleared the GSF cache/data again and did a reboot. Still nothing. That's the first thing I thought: I got it once, why wouldn't I just get it again once I was on the right built (JWR66Y correct?).

I'm determined to get this OTA link!

jdbeitz

Jul 19, 2010
Cincinnati
Someone give us an image. Arghhh.

How come they release OTA but not stock images? You'd think simultaneous release would happen

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

starkilling

Oct 14, 2011
Someone give us an image. Arghhh.

How come they release OTA but not stock images? You'd think simultaneous release would happen

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Seems to me Google really screwed up this rollout. I don't remember it ever being this poorly organized and announced.

Reactions: styckx

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
All I know is 4.4 better be perfect. This whole dog and pony show has grown long in the tooth.

Domino45

Sep 8, 2010
Root and TWRP Recovery

That's exactly as mine was, and my 4.4 OTA failed as well. Same boat as you pal! I'm still trying to get the OTA back. I still don't see why I got it last night but can't get it today.

I agree, this entire situation has just been stupid and very un-Google-like.

VivaErBetis

Nov 26, 2006
Madrid (Spain)
So, of I understood well, for the people that have received and installed the OTA it resulted in a brick... Maybe Google has delayed the OTA to investigate/correct that problem...

ChrisM75

Nov 2, 2013
You need stock recovery for it to work anyway dont you? Rooted is fine (although you will lose it), but not custom recovery.

starkilling

Oct 14, 2011
So, of I understood well, for the people that have received and installed the OTA it resulted in a brick... Maybe Google has delayed the OTA to investigate/correct that problem...

Some people have updated just fine. The bootloop usually happens on modded nexus devices and can be fixed with a very simple /data wipe, but our update-recieving friends didn't know that.

Domino45

Sep 8, 2010
Some people have updated just fine. The bootloop usually happens on modded nexus devices and can be fixed with a very simple /data wipe, but our update-recieving friends didn't know that.

I DID know that, and a wipe within recovery is the first thing I tried, but I was still seeing a bootloop. When my device wasn't turning on I was more panicked about it rather than an OTA link ;) I contributed here to solidify a point that the N10 4.4 rollout indeed was underway, and I have been trying for a while now to get the OTA back so I can give the link to you good people. I didn't even know what an "ota link" was before this whole deal, so I regret ever saying anything at all. I already feel bad enough for passing up the opportunity last night.

starkilling

Oct 14, 2011
I DID know that, and a wipe within recovery is the first thing I tried, but I was still seeing a bootloop. When my device wasn't turning on I was more panicked about it rather than an OTA link ;) I contributed here to solidify a point that the N10 4.4 rollout indeed was underway, and I have been trying for a while now to get the OTA back so I can give the link to you good people. I didn't even know what an "ota link" was before this whole deal, so I regret ever saying anything at all. I already feel bad enough for passing up the opportunity last night.

Chill, man. It's just an update, it's alright :)

samagon

Jul 28, 2008
Houston
I don't remember Google ever hiding behind the word "soon" before either. HTC at least gave a timeline, and they've been updating progress on each build. No one will be mad if they can't get it working properly in time, at least sane people, because they were transparent and ambitious. Google just says "in the coming weeks" and "soon" like a carrier. I had a feeling the Nexus 10 wasn't playing well with Kit Kat and that was the delay, but the Nexus 4 is baffling. I've been running a port of the Nexus 5 factory image for over a week, and it's completely stable. Runs better than ever.

Google has always said "soon" and "in the coming weeks". I've had a nexus phone since nexus was nexus (n1), and we used to joke about the timelines. 'Next month' meant 'maybe this quarter'. 'A few weeks' meant 'maybe this month, but probably next'. 'This week' meant 'this month'. 'Soon' meant 'we have no idea'.

Calm down. This will roll out like every other ota for any other nexus, slower than you want.

From someone using a nexus 5 with kk, you're not really missing much. It's not like it was when we were waiting for 2.3.7. That was a huge update!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Noobla_Khan

Jul 27, 2010
North Waterboro
Really guys...why would you try an OTA on a modded device? I'm not saying it can't work but common sense dictates your best chances for success would be to have your device completely stock. Not like it's hard to get it back to stock. :silly:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nexus 10 OTA link I just pulled from logcat: android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_mantaray/279e5e2396480cbffd97943a5db5bbc743ef7e77.signed-mantaray-KRT16O-from-JWR66Y.279e5e23.zip
    Factory image is out and I'm doing it up.. I hate OS "updates".. I love clean fresh installs..

https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/mantaray-krt16o-factory-85349288.tgz
    My experience
    1. Was 4.3 rooted stock with custom kernel and custom recovery + xposed framework
    2. Downloaded OTA to PC
    3. Downloaded factory 4.3 image to PC
    4. Extracted recovery.img, boot.img, system.img from factory image
    5. Flashed using fastboot command recovery, kernel, system
    6. Sideloaded OTA
    7. Flashed custom recovery
    8. Flashed root (supersu 1.69)

I have stock android 4.4 ROM with root and custom recovery

Отправленно от моего Nexus 10 с помощью Tapatalk 4

Nope.. Welcome to one of the worst handled Android rollouts ever.. Usually AOSP is pushed for all devices, then a few days or less later the images follow for all devices then the OTA will eventually trickle out. I've never seen AOSP pushed, then weeks later the OTA but only for two devices and they don't even have images yet.

Just mind boggling bad
    Did Android eventually boot for you? I tried installing via CWM, and I got an error saying: set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed" message, and installation aborted. However, when rebooting, I'm now getting the four circle boot logo of 4.4. I've been stuck on it for a few minutes now. Why do I get the feeling I'm going to have to re-flash everything...
    Same error message with TWRP. Just replace TWRP with the stock recovery from 4.3 and sideload the OTA. Then you can replace the stock recovery with TWRP again and reroot.