Help, please participate. Do I have a bad hot CPU?

Search This thread

demoncamber

Jan 20, 2012
Ok guys I need some help from the community to see if my phone is really defective or not. My issue is, my phone is throttling almost immediately, reguardless of temp (55-63c) range in benchmarks and stress tests, now when I go and force off throttling through intellitemp, when I stress test at above 1.4Ghz, the phone will reboot in a matter of 10 or so seconds. This is after flashing dori kernel 4.4, and I've tried clearing cache/dalvik, reflashing, going back to stock kernel then flashing again, etc...
This is all stock values, with exception of forcing off throttling.

Temps max out around 67c and throttle down at 65c
And it hovers around 45-55c with normal usage. Which seems high to me. But I'm new to high powered cell phones.

So I want everyone who's willing to participate to get the app CpuTemp from play store, it overlays cpu temp while you're doing whatever, enable only the top two options, enable overlay and start on boot.
Then get stability test app and run the first option at top, classic test.

Then report back here with your temp after you do the stress test for about 27 seconds. I hit 66c after 27 seconds.
Curious to see what everyone else hits.
This will at least give us an idea if our phones are operating to spec temp wise and see if I have a faulty hot phone! Please help prevent me from dealing with T-Mo warranty replacement if I don't need to :)

4u6u3e5u.jpg

Sent from my LG-D801

Last edited:

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida
I tried it out with my d800 stock and after first few seconds it doesn't go any higher than around 1.7 and remains on lower speeds so I think that's the way the app does it's computing

Sent from my LG-D800 running stock kk, rooted with philz using XDA app

Reactions: demoncamber

demoncamber

Jan 20, 2012
Cool, im going to test out antutus stress test now to see if the same thing happens.

Sent from my LG-D801

demoncamber

Jan 20, 2012
Antutu was bust, didn't really show me a thing. If incan just get a couple more people to try this, then I'll at least be able to chalk it up to not being my hardware.

Sent from my LG-D801

TheFerhatKing

Jul 22, 2012
Same here it's the throttling and it reboots if the max temparatuere comes.

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

TheFerhatKing

Jul 22, 2012
No they aren't to low because 2.8 GHz works fine.

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

demoncamber

Jan 20, 2012
My temps don't go over 83c while stress testing, max shut down temp should be 120c from what I've read. So I assumed its not a thermal issue. Am I correct?

Hopefully some more people come through and help me figure this out.

Sent from my LG-D801

Last edited:

demoncamber

Jan 20, 2012
I've tried both Dori and dr87's kernels. Both show the same issue.

Sent from my LG-D801

demoncamber

Jan 20, 2012
Something isn't right for sure, I just set the core voltage for 2.2 to the voltage that 2.8 has and ran a stress test locked on that frequency only and it rebooted still. I'm seriously starting to think I have a bad chip.

It can't possibly need that much voltage.

Sent from my LG-D801

Last edited:

bluntman420

Dec 15, 2011
Oshawa, Ontario
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I have been having issues with this phone since I got it. Should have picked up the Note 3 instead. This phone has serious thermal design issues. The instant all four cores come online at 2.3 GHz temp starts rising above 60. Slowly the phone throttles to about 1.3 GHz. It is very noticeable in games, even playing for 5 minutes and the game starts to feel sluggish due to throttling.

nexus_vl

Jan 19, 2014
Mol
OnePlus 7 Pro
OPPO Find X3 Neo
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I have been having issues with this phone since I got it. Should have picked up the Note 3 instead. This phone has serious thermal design issues. The instant all four cores come online at 2.3 GHz temp starts rising above 60. Slowly the phone throttles to about 1.3 GHz. It is very noticeable in games, even playing for 5 minutes and the game starts to feel sluggish due to throttling.

Maybe if you try undervolting a litlle, really helps get the temp down.
2265MHs @ 965 mV
oc: 2496MHs @ 1000mV (Stable) :eek:

B

bachera

check whats using cpu, enable development settings, then in development settings there is an option that shows whats utilizimg cpu. Could be a process that has gone astray.

usually clean install without recovering apps data does the trick. Dont ever recover system stuff.

demoncamber

Jan 20, 2012

From the testing I've been doing this is correct. Its more as if it was designed for the max clocks to be a turbo mode. For quickly taking on small procedures, while sustaining 1.7-1.9ghz for major tasks.

Sent from my LG-D801

Last edited:

demoncamber

Jan 20, 2012
Maybe if you try undervolting a litlle, really helps get the temp down.
2265MHs @ 965 mV
oc: 2496MHs @ 1000mV (Stable) :eek:

I've been experimenting as well with UV.. It does make a difference. But sadly it still hits the throttling threshold.

Sent from my LG-D801

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts