[Q] Transformer not powering on?

Search This thread

naturefreak85

Jun 18, 2007
Boca Raton
Hey, I got my transformer yesterday, and for some reason this is the 2nd time this has happened, fully charged battery, but the device won't power on. Attempted to plug into power but no dice. Held the power button for 30 seconds, nothing, held the power and volume up and nothing. Yesterday when this happened I plugged it into my computer (Windows) and held the power and up buttons and it turned on though it could have been windows detecting the drivers. Anyone else having this? Any suggestions? I haven't had a chance to test again and see if I can bring it back through that trick yet, but I will. Then I'll try a factory reset and see if it resolves the issue. I would hate it if this is a defective unit, that's for sure esp since they are so backordered. Outside of that I love the device.

dcmtnbkr

Jan 24, 2007
Grand Rapids, MI
OnePlus 8T
Hey, I got my transformer yesterday, and for some reason this is the 2nd time this has happened, fully charged battery, but the device won't power on. Attempted to plug into power but no dice. Held the power button for 30 seconds, nothing, held the power and volume up and nothing. Yesterday when this happened I plugged it into my computer (Windows) and held the power and up buttons and it turned on though it could have been windows detecting the drivers. Anyone else having this? Any suggestions? I haven't had a chance to test again and see if I can bring it back through that trick yet, but I will. Then I'll try a factory reset and see if it resolves the issue. I would hate it if this is a defective unit, that's for sure esp since they are so backordered. Outside of that I love the device.

when your device isnt coming on, does your computer give you a usb notification? You could be putting it in apx mode on accident.

naturefreak85

Jun 18, 2007
Boca Raton
when your device isnt coming on, does your computer give you a usb notification? You could be putting it in apx mode on accident.

I will find out in a few. The thing is this has happened when I left the device unplugged and in sleep when driving to/from work. Yesterday plugging it back into the computer brought it to life. Nothing else did. Not sure what apx mode is even.

Sent from my MB860

EDIT: Ok, turns out it get stuck in some weird power mode. I plugged it into the computer with no resolution, when I held the power button for 10 seconds, then waited 5 and pressed it again, the device powered on. I suspect it might be an issue involving detecting WiFi access points when driving or something else. I'll Factory Restore and see what happens.

Last edited:

seshmaru

Aug 22, 2009
I will find out in a few. The thing is this has happened when I left the device unplugged and in sleep when driving to/from work. Yesterday plugging it back into the computer brought it to life. Nothing else did. Not sure what apx mode is even.

Sent from my MB860

EDIT: Ok, turns out it get stuck in some weird power mode. I plugged it into the computer with no resolution, when I held the power button for 10 seconds, then waited 5 and pressed it again, the device powered on. I suspect it might be an issue involving detecting WiFi access points when driving or something else. I'll Factory Restore and see what happens.

I had that sometimes in the first day I had it, after that it hasn't happened. No factory reset, just make sure to do a hard shutdown (powerbutton 10 sec~) while it's booted and it should fix the issue.

naturefreak85

Jun 18, 2007
Boca Raton
I had that sometimes in the first day I had it, after that it hasn't happened. No factory reset, just make sure to do a hard shutdown (powerbutton 10 sec~) while it's booted and it should fix the issue.

Yea, it had happened once already, and again. I'll be testing today when I leave work, factory reset and see what happens. Should it continue, I'll go to the next step. I'm just not sure what it is. Interesting bug to say the least.

dcmtnbkr

Jan 24, 2007
Grand Rapids, MI
OnePlus 8T

Sent from my MB860

From the way you are describing getting it to work again, it sounds like you were in apx mode...

naturefreak85

Jun 18, 2007
Boca Raton
From the way you are describing getting it to work again, it sounds like you were in apx mode...

I still don't really know what APX mode is, from the limited things I have seen about it, in order to get into such, the device has to be powered off first. As far as I can tell, my device isn't randomly powering itself off and automatically going into APX mode. This happens without me touching the device. When I did the power off and on today, it wasn't plugged into the computer at all. There was no recognition from the computer that the device was plugged in.

nxp3

Apr 26, 2011
Powering on issue

Woah...I was scared to death when mine didn't turn on the next morning that I got the device. Charged it for an hour and try to turn on again, nothing.

Holding the buttons several different ways that I know how to reset it didn't work. Finally I held the button down for more than 10 seconds. Wait a few seconds, then it powered on. Why didn't they make a hard reset since you can't remove battery!??? Hope this is just some fluke and could be updated with firmware.

naturefreak85

Jun 18, 2007
Boca Raton
Woah...I was scared to death when mine didn't turn on the next morning that I got the device. Charged it for an hour and try to turn on again, nothing.

Holding the buttons several different ways that I know how to reset it didn't work. Finally I held the button down for more than 10 seconds. Wait a few seconds, then it powered on. Why didn't they make a hard reset since you can't remove battery!??? Hope this is just some fluke and could be updated with firmware.

Alas, mine didn't get resolved with that, computer detects it now, but no screen response. Asus tells me 14 business days to fix then says try to restore it with the Kernel Source Code. Unfortunately I can't see a way to do such from the folder and they decided to disconnect me.

stuntdouble

Apr 1, 2009
Redmi Note 10S
There is a bug with the default lock screen that makes it so the screen doesnt power on occasionally. In order to work around this you need to disable the lock screen in the settings, or change it from the default one.

Obviously in order to do this initially it needs to be powered on and so you can see it. Therein lies your problem of course. :) To get around this, charge up your device so you know it has power, use the force power off method (10-12 second press of the power button), wait a few seconds (30+), then power on the device normally (5-6 second press of the power button).

If your screen doesnt come on after that, try a couple more times. It really is an RMA job if it continues to fail. If it does come on, let it boot up to the lock screen, and dont let the screen go off, keep it 'alive', unlock the device and change the lock screen in the options, to either be switched off, or to anything other than default.

This wont work for everyone, as obviously a few may actually have duff screens, but for some of you, it may just be the lock screen bug you are getting unlucky with.

naturefreak85

Jun 18, 2007
Boca Raton
Yea, I seem to have not only the lock screen bug but a defective screen. Unacceptable to me, but hey, what can I do? I've been disconnected 5 times so far, waiting on a manager and will be requesting a faster resolution than what they are offering me. (10-14 Business days is unacceptable)

There is a bug with the default lock screen that makes it so the screen doesnt power on occasionally. In order to work around this you need to disable the lock screen in the settings, or change it from the default one.

Obviously in order to do this initially it needs to be powered on and so you can see it. Therein lies your problem of course. :) To get around this, charge up your device so you know it has power, use the force power off method (10-12 second press of the power button), wait a few seconds (30+), then power on the device normally (5-6 second press of the power button).

If your screen doesnt come on after that, try a couple more times. It really is an RMA job if it continues to fail. If it does come on, let it boot up to the lock screen, and dont let the screen go off, keep it 'alive', unlock the device and change the lock screen in the options, to either be switched off, or to anything other than default.

This wont work for everyone, as obviously a few may actually have duff screens, but for some of you, it may just be the lock screen bug you are getting unlucky with.

kenshin0088

Apr 21, 2011
Yea, I seem to have not only the lock screen bug but a defective screen. Unacceptable to me, but hey, what can I do? I've been disconnected 5 times so far, waiting on a manager and will be requesting a faster resolution than what they are offering me. (10-14 Business days is unacceptable)

i am in the same boat as you, luckly i picked up the acer for the weekend because i didnt think i was going to get the asus. glad i did

naturefreak85

Jun 18, 2007
Boca Raton
I'm waiting on hold with Asus to see if they will do an Advance Repair, basically I get put on the line for the full price of the device until they declare mine broken since the return period on the Acer is 14 days at best buy. Quite outside of the repair period.

i am in the same boat as you, luckly i picked up the acer for the weekend because i didnt think i was going to get the asus. glad i did

kenshin0088

Apr 21, 2011
what is the number you are calling, when i called they had almost no idea what i was talking about. they kept asking me if when i am pluged into the wall if thre was a light on the chager when there is no light lol i think they thot i had a laptop or netbook

naturefreak85

Jun 18, 2007
Boca Raton
did you find out anythinig from asus?

Had to escalate it up to management and expressed I wanted an advance repair and was willing to give them my credit card number so they could place a hold on the card for the amount of a replacement until they got mine. Has to be escalated above the rep should hear back in a couple hours. If not I have an extension and will call back

Sent from my MB860

kenshin0088

Apr 21, 2011
they are having me download the source code and try and force it to the transformer we will see if it works will report back

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    18886783688 Option 2 Option 2 Option 5

what is the number you are calling, when i called they had almost no idea what i was talking about. they kept asking me if when i am pluged into the wall if thre was a light on the chager when there is no light lol i think they thot i had a laptop or netbook
    I do, because I want it to stay connected to wifi at all times since I want to receive notifications (power drain is not an issue for me). By turning scanning off, you mean the option of having it notify when there are networks available? Or do you mean I need to change the wifi sleep policy? (Hopefully the former -- the latter would be a dealbreaker for me)

I mean turn off notification of new networks available. There is the chance your wifi is kicking your transformer off such forcing it to scan thus creating the Deep Sleep issue.