[GUIDE]How to install Old ATI Radeon Cards on Windows 8/8.1/10

Search This thread

Cheez2553

Jan 7, 2011
Reggio Emilia
UPDATE 23/10/2015
By @Simonkjam
NEW DRIVER !

PERFECT ON MOBILITY RADEON X1300 ON WINDOWS 10, AND FOR ALL OTHER MOBILE X SERIES IN MY OPINION!

DOWNLOAD HERE

Install with setup, custom install (remove all the ugly software, only driver and microsoft stuff)

Again,HUGE THANKS to @Simonkjam for this!

ORIGINAL POST

UPDATE 02/08/2015
Thanks to @comhon for testing,this guide will work even for Windows 10

Lets Begin :)

REQUIREMENTS
Windows 8/8.1/10
One of those video cards:
ATI Radeon 9500 Series
ATI Radeon 9550 Series
ATI Radeon 9600 Series
ATI Radeon 9700 Series
ATI Radeon 9800 Series
ATI Radeon X300 Series
ATI Radeon X550 Series
ATI Radeon X600 Series
ATI Radeon X700 Series
ATI Radeon X800 Series
ATI Radeon X850 Series
ATI Radeon X1050 Series
ATI Radeon X1300 Series
ATI Radeon X1550 Series
ATI Radeon X1600 Series
ATI Radeon X1650 Series
ATI Radeon X1800 Series
ATI Radeon X1900 Series
ATI Radeon Xpress Series
ATI Radeon X1200 Series
ATI Radeon X1250 Series
ATI Radeon X2100 Series
Drivers you can use :

If you meet all requirements Let's Begin

1.Download ATI Drivers from here:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx

2.Run Them,if Compatibility Check says "Cannot check compatibility" Just click on "more button" and Run Anyway

3.Let Installer extract drivers,after that close the installer
RfIWR.png

4.Right Click on Computer-->Manage

5.Search for VGA Controller/Card/generic VGA Adapter

6.right click on the device-->Update Drivers

7.Choose "Browse My computer for Drivers"
oRYZS.png

8.Select C:/ATI (Please Note:If you have other letter,it doesn't change nothing,just select ATI Folder on your HDD Root)

9.Wait while it install Drivers

10.Enjoy Windows 8/8.1/10,Lot Fast,Lot Smooth

Hope this help,if you have any question or problem just reply :)

Last edited:

vladutz9

Feb 9, 2009
getxo
www.v9blog.ro
Installed in compatibility with windows 7 but i have a lot of BSOD. What can i do or when will the guys from AMD will go out with new drivers???

the_game_master

Dec 14, 2011
Indianapolis
How can I install a Radeon 9250 PCI ATI card in Windows 8?

ATI Has a Windows 7 32-bit driver for this card but upgrading Windows 7 32-bit to Win8 and I get the crummy MS Basic Display Adapter driver.

If I try to do a have disk, it will list the Radeon 9250 along with the MS Basic Display Adapter as drivers compatible with the Authenticode(tm) signature, but if I select the RADEON 9250. I get the dreaded Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device.

The driver selected for this device does not support this version of Windows.

Clearly there must be a simple solution around this that will allow me to force Windows 8 to use the Windows 7 driver. Is there?

Cheez2553

Jan 7, 2011
Reggio Emilia
Sorry for long time reply :p,btw this guide forces Win 8 to use Win7 Drivers,if you want you can try the Radeon HD Method with those drivers

Sent from my U8150 using xda app-developers app

b3y0ndd34th

Feb 24, 2010
Seymour, IN
Hi!Finally i discovered how to install ATI Old Cards in Windows 8!Even if it is not recognizing your Graphic Card

REQUIREMENTS
Windows 8 OS

Internet connection(not needed if you download drivers from another device/PC)

i Will upload screenshots later! :p

does NOT work with my ATI Radeon x1300

Regardless of how the drivers are installed it will always tell you that the driver is not designed for this version of windows and will default back to the generic windows display drivers.

I am using windows 8 Pro build 9200
Dell Inspiron E1505
Ati Radeon X1300

I can NOT stand this 1024X768

Use http://www2.ati.com/drivers/12-8_vista_win7_win8_32_dd_ccc.exe

the win 7 version worked for my Win 8

Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Vista and Win7 supported the old XP Display Driver Model (XDM), in addition to the new Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM). Win8 drops the legacy support for XDM and mandates WDDM. It might not even support WDDM 1.0; I'm not sure. If you were able to get Aero working on Win7, you *should* be able to use the hardware drivers on Win8 as well, unless it was a WDDM1.0 card, in which case you may be out of luck. I don't believe any WDDM drivers were ever released for a Radeon card below the 9500, so a 9250 will definitely not work (sorry @the_game_master). Honestly though, that's a low-end card from somewhere in the vicinity of 9 years ago. You could get a newer card that will be supported in Win8 and will kick you old 9250's ass up one side and down the other for like $30.

Reactions: cbettis007

Leonick

Jan 8, 2008
What can i do or when will the guys from AMD will go out with new drivers???
If you have one of those cards listed up there there won't be any new ones they are legacy cards, they don't support them anymore, they don't even have proper Windows 7 drivers. You should probably think of a new graphics card or a new computer (this is probably better than keeping an old system alive with some new components) instead if you want things to work properly.

musicfreak

Jan 11, 2009

I can't find this one, I only have the Microsoft basic display adapter in device manager. Any suggestions? I have a AMD Radeon Xpress x1250 integrated videocard on my MSI K9AG Neo2 Digital mainboard .

Last edited:

onoffitalia

Jun 26, 2007
Nowhere
i tried mentioned solution, after select ati folder i found my graphic card on list but ati radeon x1800 on an alienware m5790 didn't work with win8 pro (bought yesterday)....
i tried 2 new fresh install (32 and 64 bit) both same 'The driver selected for this device does not support this version of Windows'
i will appreciate any further suggestion....or have i go back to win 7 :( ?

Last edited:

simpletron

Feb 11, 2006
Working with ATI Radeon Xpress 1200 Series

Thank you for this. Upgraded my mum's Samsung NP R60Y to Windows 8 and got the crappy resolution. Tried with downloads from Samsung's own support pages with no luck until came upon this page and downloaded the drivers from the link on the first post.

Now the "ATI Radeon Xpress 1200 Series" card is running at 1280x800 instead of 1024x768 which was horrible. My Device Manager had "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" (not VGA).

Now I just have to get this system to boot from an SSD...so much for an hour's work to help speed up the mum's laptop - it's taken most of my weekend! But getting rid of Vista for her will have been worth it I hope....

musicfreak

Jan 11, 2009
I've giving it up with my integrated Radeon. I found an old 128Mb Nvidia Geforce card, inserted it and it works like a charm!

onoffitalia

Jun 26, 2007
Nowhere
Win8 pro on Alienware m5790 with Ati Radeon x1800

[SOLVED] update:

I downloaded several drivers, keep trying to find the good one for ati radeon x1800....and....here it is:
http://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=23&v_code=28298&v_langue=en

Please, for x1800 owners, use same method of first post but with these drivers!

Now I've x1800 recognized by Win8 pro working on 2 monitors and 1920*1200 + 1920*1080 resolution,
BUT,
this solution didn't work for 64 bit! i had to install Win8 32 bit :(
So cannot use sw made only for 64 bit pc like sony vegas 12, or CS5 premiere + aftereffects....

Last edited:

salada2k

Jun 22, 2008
Melbourne
Hey guys,

For anyone having serious issues with their video card drivers on Windows 8, you can try what I did.

I actually completely wiped an iMac and put Windows 8 on, clean install. My Radeon Mobility 4670 HD was detected, but had an exclamation mark next to it in device manager (Unable to start device). No matter what I did, Windows told me that I 'already had the best driver installed' OR I could install an updates driver that simply resulted in a black screen, with no way out other than system restore!

After many fruitless hours, I wiped the whole computer again, and this time installed Windows 7. After setting everything up perfectly in Windows 7, which was well supported with drivers, I then did an inplace upgrade to Windows 8 as opposed to a clean install. Voila, the driver is now correctly installed in device manager, and I get the maximum performance from the card in Windows 8. Needless to say I wont be touching that driver in the future. Hopefully that method works for you guys who are in hot water.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaglicic

thokkalodi

Sep 24, 2006
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Thanks

[SOLVED] update:

I downloaded several drivers, keep trying to find the good one for ati radeon x1800....and....here it is:

Now I've x1800 recognized by Win8 pro working on 2 monitors and 1920*1200 + 1920*1080 resolution,
BUT,
So cannot use sw made only for 64 bit pc like sony vegas 12, or CS5 premiere + aftereffects....

Thanks a ton dude!
Been trying to install the proper display driver for Mobility Radeon 9600 on my old laptop for a long time. Thanks for your link. Those are the only ones that worked. Tried a million others but none of them worked.

Reactions: isoist

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE 23/10/2015
    By @Simonkjam
    NEW DRIVER !

PERFECT ON MOBILITY RADEON X1300 ON WINDOWS 10, AND FOR ALL OTHER MOBILE X SERIES IN MY OPINION!

DOWNLOAD HERE

Install with setup, custom install (remove all the ugly software, only driver and microsoft stuff)

Again,HUGE THANKS to @Simonkjam for this!

ORIGINAL POST

UPDATE 02/08/2015
    Thanks to @comhon for testing,this guide will work even for Windows 10

REQUIREMENTS
    Windows 8/8.1/10
    ATI Radeon 9500 Series
    ATI Radeon 9550 Series
    ATI Radeon 9600 Series
    ATI Radeon 9700 Series
    ATI Radeon 9800 Series
    ATI Radeon X300 Series
    ATI Radeon X550 Series
    ATI Radeon X600 Series
    ATI Radeon X700 Series
    ATI Radeon X800 Series
    ATI Radeon X850 Series
    ATI Radeon X1050 Series
    ATI Radeon X1300 Series
    ATI Radeon X1550 Series
    ATI Radeon X1600 Series
    ATI Radeon X1650 Series
    ATI Radeon X1800 Series
    ATI Radeon X1900 Series
    ATI Radeon Xpress Series
    ATI Radeon X1200 Series
    ATI Radeon X1250 Series
    ATI Radeon X2100 Series
    Drivers you can use :

1.Download ATI Drivers from here:
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx

2.Run Them,if Compatibility Check says "Cannot check compatibility" Just click on "more button" and Run Anyway

3.Let Installer extract drivers,after that close the installer
    RfIWR.png

4.Right Click on Computer-->Manage

6.right click on the device-->Update Drivers

7.Choose "Browse My computer for Drivers"
    oRYZS.png

8.Select C:/ATI (Please Note:If you have other letter,it doesn't change nothing,just select ATI Folder on your HDD Root)

9.Wait while it install Drivers

10.Enjoy Windows 8/8.1/10,Lot Fast,Lot Smooth

Hi guys

Today i have installed ATI X1300 on Win8 64bit PRO

I used those drivers http://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=23&v_code=28298&v_langue=en but i received info from windows:

"Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

The hash for the file is not present in the specified catalog file. The file is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering."

To get it worked i need to Disable Driver Signature Enforcement in Windows 8

I used this manual :)

https://laslow.net/2012/03/14/disable-driver-signature-enforcement-in-windows-8/

Good luck
    Hi!Finally i discovered how to install ATI Old Cards in Windows 8!Even if it is not recognizing your Graphic Card

REQUIREMENTS
    Windows 8 OS

Internet connection(not needed if you download drivers from another device/PC)

i Will upload screenshots later! :p

does NOT work with my ATI Radeon x1300

Regardless of how the drivers are installed it will always tell you that the driver is not designed for this version of windows and will default back to the generic windows display drivers.

I am using windows 8 Pro build 9200
    Dell Inspiron E1505
    Ati Radeon X1300

I can NOT stand this 1024X768

Use http://www2.ati.com/drivers/12-8_vista_win7_win8_32_dd_ccc.exe

the win 7 version worked for my Win 8
    Works Here with ATI RADEON 4200 HD , But Can't get catalyst center to work .. any idea ?
    Win8 pro on Alienware m5790 with Ati Radeon x1800

[SOLVED] update:

BUT,