Nexus 7 not recognised when connected via USB

Search This thread

digipix

Oct 15, 2012
Amsterdam
rui.netlify.com
Same problem as most of you

I changed the ribbon cable and USB board and still the same result (although I also didn't have gyro working and ribbon cable fixed it)
I even dual booted W7 on PC to discard drivers incompatibility.
Still no signal on pc. Only charging.
Choosing MTP/PTP on developer settings does nothing as it changes back to charging as soon as I get out of the selection popup.
Going to Storage & USB and checking the vertical ... only says "Help & feedback"
My 2 remaining ideas are :
- new MB
- try usb2 instead of usb3

kingabo

Feb 4, 2009
Found real solution

after reading all the posts and thinking a lot about what people here said. I have finaly found a working solution for me that I think will work for everybody.

explanations:

A lot of you guys said that this problem started after using a car charger for the nexus 7. Then I recalled that when I bought my nexus 7 it was sometimes charging very slowly on the original charger. I then read on some forum that the nexus 7 had two state of charging to be nice to the battery.
That is when I thought, if there is two state of charging, then the nexus 7 must reset the usb port in order to change mode. So I did the test. I plugged my nexus 7 to the original asus charger that came with it and unplugged it a couple a times. ( maybe 4 or 5 times ) then I plugged it into my computer and VOILA!

It works!!!

this is not a permanent solution because when the nexus tries to enter another state of charge while not connected to the original charger I think that the usb port hang somehow...
Thanks, this solved my problem!
Edit: no, it didn't. Original cable + charger charges another nexus 7 but not mine when it's already turned on. If I turn it off, plug it to the charger then it starts to charge and I can turn it on and it keeps charging. BUT when I plug it to the charger when it's already on then it won't charge...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nexus 7 4.3 not connecting to PC via USB

Hi everyone,

My Nexus 7 at present isn't getting recognised when connected to a PC via USB. This was working the other week (the drivers were installed the first time I connected it via USB), but now when I connect it to a PC via USB the device isn't recognised by the PC.

I have tried this on multiple PC's and the same thing happens on all of them, so it must be something with the Nexus 7 that is causing the problem.

If I go into Device Manager on any of the PC's, with the Nexus 7 connected via USB it doesn't appear anywhere, so I can't go down the route of even updating the USB drivers as suggested for some similar issues on other threads.

I have even installed the Android SDK and installed the Windows USB driver package, but that hasn't done the trick either.

I have also tried installing the Microsoft MTP porting kit, but again this made no difference and the same can be said by switching between MTP and PTP mode and neither have made a difference. I don't have USB debugging enabled, enabling it doesn't make a difference either.

I can connect my Nexus S phone via USB without issue to any of the PC's I've tested the Nexus 7 on, which further backs my thinking of the issue being with the Nexus 7.

I'm running out of ideas, so thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone has any other suggestions before I do a factory reset on the Nexus 7.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Just incase anyone is still looking for help at this link I found a way. [Windows Version]
    1. Right-click on Computer and go to manage
    2. Find your Nexus 7 under devices and right-click and choose uninstall, and select delete drivers aswell
    3. Un-Plug and re-plug your device and switch to MTP mode and allow the drivers to be reinstalled.

Worked for me so hopefully will work for everyone else.:fingers-crossed :fingers-crossed:
    Fix for no USB storage

Well, he's right. It's just a simple driver problem.
    Right Click "My Computer"
    Click "Device Manager"
    You should see "Google Nexus 7..." device.
    Click on it
    Click Driver
    Update Driver
    "Let me pick"
    Make sure "Compatible devices ...." is checked
    Choose USB (the one that is not selected)
    Click Ok.
    And Woop, there it is.
    Had the problem and what i did and worked was:

With the device connected and the debugging and MTP TICKED went to device manager and my nexus was showing as Android Phone ADB device.

Right click that and go - properties - driver - click uninstall at the bottom and in the next window TICK also "Delete the driver software for this device" and hit OK.

When its done disconnect the device and reconnect it.Let windows install the driver and all will be fine.

That worked for me and now my Nexus shows up at My computer as always and the ADB works also
    I stumbled on a solution

I did all the driver installs - several times.
    The tablet definitely is seen by the computer in ADB mode.
    Nexus 7 rootkit works on it.
    but Windows XP did not see it as a USB device.
    I turned off USB debugging on the Nexus 7 while in MTP mode. bingo, it immediately showed the device.
    Your mileage may vary