[Q] Interested in Z1 Compact, few questions remain

Search This thread

spacescreamer

Jan 14, 2011
Hey guys..

For the first time i am having the opinion that finally a phone has landed in the beloved 4.3" segment which i (among many other fellow thinkers) believe can become my next purchase.
However, i have few questions which i would like others to comment upon:

1) I have always like the UI of Samsung. Currently using a Samsung phone with apex launcher and it is something i am very comfortable with.
Question is: How much close to that UI can i pull a Sony Xperia phone?

2) Can the night photography get better via future OTA updates?
Something like a patch/f.w revision?

3) I like to install good quality case on my phones. Havent seen anything for the z1 till now.
Any news on this dept? I hope the device gets good support from manufacturers like Spigen etc..

4) A bit OT, but somebody pls tell/direct me to ascertain the difference between Android Development Vs Original Android Development ? :eek:

thermalboyz

May 1, 2008
NoWhere
Hi,

I don't have Sammy device but I can still answer few of your questions.

1- Sony UI is very nice indeed when I first used it but I use Apex the most as I like to personalised homescreen, icon and drawer.
2-probably YES and there already have new firmware update been approved by Sony for the Z1C. It could be anytime soon and awaiting to see what improvement it does.
http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/02/21/firmware-build-14-2-a-1-142-hits-the-xperia-z1-compact/
3-Already have quite lots of cases around. You could check CASE and SCREEN
4-No idea.

Reactions: spacescreamer

maajstor

Jan 12, 2011
London
Hey guys..

4) A bit OT, but somebody pls tell/direct me to ascertain the difference between Android Development Vs Original Android Development ? :eek:

Example here:
If you take source of CyanogenMod, adjust it and build a ROM specifically for Xperia Z1 Compact, it's "Android Development".
But if you create a completely new ROM (or develop a new feature), it's "Original Android Development".

sinple

May 10, 2012
Hey guys..

For the first time i am having the opinion that finally a phone has landed in the beloved 4.3" segment which i (among many other fellow thinkers) believe can become my next purchase.

1) I have always like the UI of Samsung. Currently using a Samsung phone with apex launcher and it is something i am very comfortable with.

[/B] ? :eek:

I haven bought z1 compact, but from my usage of XS
If you use a 3rd party launcher, some of the Xperia widget would not be available? This include weather, walkman, photo gallery, notepad, quick toggle widget etc. But, you can always use 3rd party app.

tania247260

Apr 10, 2013
Visby sweden
Hey guys..

3) I like to install good quality case on my phones. Havent seen anything for the z1 till now.
Any news on this dept? I hope the device gets good support from manufacturers like Spigen etc..

x1 compact is the great phone with great battery life,performance,water proof,smart looking

Swadin7

Mar 6, 2014
When i first saw this phone in the market then i decide to buy it and finally i bought it. Its performance is good and smooth. Its look also be good. I am happy to use this operating system.

Troyis

Mar 7, 2012
Edmonton
Hey guys..

2) From my understanding, using manual mode with proper ISO settings and no flash takes brilliant night photos. I mean, that is generally how you take good night photos with a good camera anyways. While I understand why there is the flash bleed, the flash on a tiny smartphone, let alone a compact point and shoot isn't going to do any good anyways. Unless you have separate lighting, flash ruins anything but a tight portrait shot, and even then, this can mostly be fixed by the simple DIY thread on fixing the bleed.

Short of the Nokia 920 I had, I haven't had a phone that takes particularly good night shots ever. Yeah, some take so-so shots, but nothing has been spectacular, because no other phones have a 3-way OIS (optical image stabilization). 2-way OIS seems somewhat useless.

paua__

Nov 7, 2010
oslo
I see you already got a few good responses here, but i thought you might want another former Samsung-users input.

If you use Apex Launcher, or any 3rd-party launcher, your experience will be VERY similar to that of a Samsung phone with the same launcher.
I myself prefer Themer by MyColorScreen

I sure hope it will, though i prefer slightly darker photos with low ISO noise, but that is all about personal preference. Manual settings can sort it out to some degree.

Z1C is still considered a fairly new device, and where i live people arewaiting in line to get their phone, so as case and accesorymanufacturers see that the device is selling heaps, they will start shipping compatible accessories. I got a dirt cheap wallet-leather folding case-thingy, that i might swap out since I'd like to use the magnetic dock at some point in time.

Bottom line: I have no regrets moving from my S3, and the screensize is perfect. With my S3 i even missed my S1 on some occations because of the one-hand-operating-friendlyness of the latter.

Hope this helps :D

madsb

Jan 14, 2013

I am using the Case Mate Tough Case which I consider er "good quality case". Unifortunately Case Mate have designed it without access to the Magnetic Charging Port, but as shown in the thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2631321&page=4 you can mod the case to take care of this. All in all I am really happy about both my phone and my case although It obviously would have been preferable if Case Mate had made the cutout for the magnetic charging port themselves.

F308

Feb 25, 2013
EU
Did it happen to you ?

My phone (Z1C, rooted, locked BL, UK software loaded as described in XDA roooting procedure)
sometimes forgets settings or set them to random values.

Example:
1. Alarm clock returns sound to default.
2. I noticed that I have 3 extra alarms set, completely at random hours.

Questions:
- Did it happen to you ?
- Any idea what could cause it ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I don't have Sammy device but I can still answer few of your questions.

1- Sony UI is very nice indeed when I first used it but I use Apex the most as I like to personalised homescreen, icon and drawer.
    2-probably YES and there already have new firmware update been approved by Sony for the Z1C. It could be anytime soon and awaiting to see what improvement it does.
    http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/02/21/firmware-build-14-2-a-1-142-hits-the-xperia-z1-compact/
    3-Already have quite lots of cases around. You could check CASE and SCREEN
    4-No idea.
    Hey guys..

Example here:
    If you take source of CyanogenMod, adjust it and build a ROM specifically for Xperia Z1 Compact, it's "Android Development".
    But if you create a completely new ROM (or develop a new feature), it's "Original Android Development".
    Hey guys..

2) From my understanding, using manual mode with proper ISO settings and no flash takes brilliant night photos. I mean, that is generally how you take good night photos with a good camera anyways. While I understand why there is the flash bleed, the flash on a tiny smartphone, let alone a compact point and shoot isn't going to do any good anyways. Unless you have separate lighting, flash ruins anything but a tight portrait shot, and even then, this can mostly be fixed by the simple DIY thread on fixing the bleed.

Short of the Nokia 920 I had, I haven't had a phone that takes particularly good night shots ever. Yeah, some take so-so shots, but nothing has been spectacular, because no other phones have a 3-way OIS (optical image stabilization). 2-way OIS seems somewhat useless.
    I see you already got a few good responses here, but i thought you might want another former Samsung-users input.

If you use Apex Launcher, or any 3rd-party launcher, your experience will be VERY similar to that of a Samsung phone with the same launcher.
    I myself prefer Themer by MyColorScreen

I sure hope it will, though i prefer slightly darker photos with low ISO noise, but that is all about personal preference. Manual settings can sort it out to some degree.

Z1C is still considered a fairly new device, and where i live people arewaiting in line to get their phone, so as case and accesorymanufacturers see that the device is selling heaps, they will start shipping compatible accessories. I got a dirt cheap wallet-leather folding case-thingy, that i might swap out since I'd like to use the magnetic dock at some point in time.

Bottom line: I have no regrets moving from my S3, and the screensize is perfect. With my S3 i even missed my S1 on some occations because of the one-hand-operating-friendlyness of the latter.

Hope this helps :D

I am using the Case Mate Tough Case which I consider er "good quality case". Unifortunately Case Mate have designed it without access to the Magnetic Charging Port, but as shown in the thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2631321&page=4 you can mod the case to take care of this. All in all I am really happy about both my phone and my case although It obviously would have been preferable if Case Mate had made the cutout for the magnetic charging port themselves.