How do i flash radios on nexus 5

Search This thread

android.4.0

May 23, 2012
So ill try to make this short and sweet but i need help. since 4.4.4 i really noticed bad signal issues and with a speed test my ping is 160 making online gaming really bad. ( its the only connection i have where i live to play online before 4.4.4 it was fine ping was like 70ms)

So i figured out the to get the radios say from 4.4.2 i would download the rom from https://developers.google.com/androi...s/images?hl=de
extract the file and the radio file is inside right. now how do i flash it. using Android SDK is there a tutorial or video somewhere. And can i use the roms from that site on a canadian nexus 5 my 4.4.4 build number matches the one on the site so im guessing yes.

TheLastSidekick

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
So ill try to make this short and sweet but i need help. since 4.4.4 i really noticed bad signal issues and with a speed test my ping is 160 making online gaming really bad. ( its the only connection i have where i live to play online before 4.4.4 it was fine ping was like 70ms)

So i figured out the to get the radios say from 4.4.2 i would download the rom from https://developers.google.com/androi...s/images?hl=de
extract the file and the radio file is inside right. now how do i flash it. using Android SDK is there a tutorial or video somewhere. And can i use the roms from that site on a canadian nexus 5 my 4.4.4 build number matches the one on the site so im guessing yes.

From start to finish, skip over what you've already done.

1. Unlock your bootloader.

2. Root.

3. Install custom recovery using fastboot,

Google TWRP Hammerhead and the site for the recovery image and instructions will show up.

4. Have the modems downloaded, search for the thread here in Nexus 5 forum.

5. Go to Install .zip in TWRP recovery and flash the respective modems.

Protip : look up how to make an EFS backup just in case you somehow manage to corrupt your IMEI.

android.4.0

May 23, 2012
From start to finish, skip over what you've already done.

1. Unlock your bootloader.

2. Root.

3. Install custom recovery using fastboot,

Google TWRP Hammerhead and the site for the recovery image and instructions will show up.

4. Have the modems downloaded, search for the thread here in Nexus 5 forum.

5. Go to Install .zip in TWRP recovery and flash the respective modems.

Protip : look up how to make an EFS backup just in case you somehow manage to corrupt your IMEI.

I dont really wanna root just flash back to 4.4.2 radios so i can get better service.

TheLastSidekick

Aug 4, 2012
Theres nothing wrong with the APN i hear lots of people have issues and sadly only a few countrys got 4.4.4r2 to fix radio issues
Which without root is impossible unless the OTA comes through and its dependant on the country you're in. You could flash the 4.4.4r2 stock image using fastboot.

android.4.0

May 23, 2012
Which without root is impossible unless the OTA comes through and its dependant on the country you're in. You could flash the 4.4.4r2 stock image using fastboot.

Im going to unlock my bootloader and flash radios from 4.4.2 to my phone thats running 4.4.4 cause the radios on 4.4.4 are garbage. i dont think i need to be rooted to flash radios or a rom

TheLastSidekick

Aug 4, 2012
Im going to unlock my bootloader and flash radios from 4.4.2 to my phone thats running 4.4.4 cause the radios on 4.4.4 are garbage. i dont think i need to be rooted to flash radios or a rom
You don't need to be rooted persay to flash a modem, just a custom recovery. It just makes things easier. If you're going to unlock for sure, rooting makes things easier even though you don't REQUIRE it.

Best of luck and let us know how it all goes.

TheLastSidekick

Aug 4, 2012
You don't need a custom recovery to flash a radio :p
That is news to me. Haha, how would one go about doing this? I only knew about flashing a stock image that comes with the radio, and the radio zips in recovery...or did I miss something can you extract the radio from the factory image and flash it alone?

Top Liked Posts