Reverting to 4.3 from official 4.4.2

Search This thread

gaww

Oct 4, 2010
Asheville, NC
I have read that after even just flashing 4.4.2 update, it will not be possible to revert (nandroid) to any 4.3 ROMs. If true - why if firmware the same ?

zz1049

Dec 22, 2013
I have read that after even just flashing 4.4.2 update, it will not be possible to revert (nandroid) to any 4.3 ROMs. If true - why if firmware the same ?

Yep DONT UPDATE IF YOU DONT WANT ANY CHANGES!
edit; I think there will be a patch soon enough though

Last edited:

zz1049

Dec 22, 2013
I would not think of "updating" and get stuck with KNOXed bootloader. Absent that, i do not see why reverting would be a problem, but I have read otherwise.

That was my reason for asking.

Reason being is that the boot loader does not permit loading the old version of android onto it. If you update and then tried to flash the old Raum 4.3 it will cause errors and will ask you to reinstall the firmware, which is basically just the recovery part. 4.3 will flash this part of the image but then the rest of it will have problems. A lot of custom ROMs have been out there that run on 4.3 kernels but are running 4.4 ROMs and these are really actually 4.3. In those cases you can easily revert to stock 4.3. However, if you have updated then through Samsung software it will update the boot loader and you will no longer be able to revert.

For AT&T it is available to river, or at least reflash 4.4. I'm sure this will be fixed in time however at this point there is a lock or warning that has not been cracked basically. (Knox counter etc,)

Dr. Fed

Apr 23, 2010
Boston Area

This is what I've read: if you update to official 4.4.2, you cannot flash back to official 4.3 in Odin. Likewise, if you updated to official 4.3, you cannot Odin back to official 4.2.2. If you try to, you'll soft brick. The Knox-secured bootloaders prevent Odin from successfully flashing a previous version.

Now, if you do this and therefore soft-brick, you need to pull the battery and re-enter Odin mode. Then you must Odin-flash a custom recovery (luckily there are some Odin-flashable recovery files out there). Then, after another battery pull, you need to manually boot into your custom recovery and flash a custom rom (or restore a Nandroid). This will save your soft brick.

What we don't know, because it hasn't been released yet, is if the official 4.4.2 tar file would successfully flash in Odin if you already have the 4.4.2 Knox bootloader.