Do I lose OTA if I root the device ?

Search This thread

epivitor

May 30, 2010
Birmingham
Hi guys, as I cant stand the ads I'm thinking of rooting the device but I wonder if I can have OTA updates after this and if yes, do I have to re-root the phone after the updates?

thxxx :)

S0bes

Jan 1, 2012
There is no other easier way to do this?

I had in mind something like download the update to the pc and apply it to the phone with usb connection. Isnt that possible. Could this method I thought brick the phone?
you can install CWM.
Then make a full backup. You can move it on your pc or let it take space on your phone.
After that you can apply any patches via CWM or install root or whatsoever
When your phone will show the next update you should:
1) Boot into CWM and recover your backup. BUT! You should recover only part of it. The system part.
backup and restore -> advanced restore from /sdcard -> choose your backup -> restore system
2) wait till it complete.
Now you can delete your backup.
Reboot your phone (reboot system now)
After that you will see 2 messages and if you wanna be able to apply ota you have to make the right choises
Q: ROM may flash stock recovery on boot. Fix?
A: NO

Q: Root access is missing. Root device?
A:NO

After all that steps you'll get:
1) clear system part (which means no root, modified files etc)
2) default recovery

Reactions: epivitor

BaghiXDA

Apr 17, 2014
I've read "mixed" opinions about this; some say rooted devices lose updates and some say otherwise. I've also heard that if you flash ROM A on top of ROM B that's your original ROM, and you get signature errors you no more receive OTA updates. By the way, I was able to receive OTA updates on my Asia Retail XT1033 that was flashed to Retail UK XT1032. It would be cool if some senior member here shed some light on this subject.

S0bes

Jan 1, 2012
Really? My XT1032 is rooted since i bought it and I was still able to apply the February OTA. Didn't wait for it to reach my phone though - I've downloaded it here on XDA, then checked for updates.
yes, it can be so. I heard about the same situation from few people. But other still can not apply ota with root

knizmi

Jul 17, 2013
Mladá Boleslav
yes, it can be so. I heard about the same situation from few people. But other still can not apply ota with root

I think that people who have reported that they can't apply the OTA update had messed their /system partition in other ways than just rooting.
I've studied the update package and all it does is that it first checks if the files (and only those files) that are going to be updated are untampered with and if everything is allright, they are patched.
To sum it up - you can have extra files on your /system folder (like the su binary), but all of the updated files must be stock. The updater really doesn't care if su, xposed or other mods are present.

epivitor

May 30, 2010
Birmingham
I think that people who have reported that they can't apply the OTA update had messed their /system partition in other ways than just rooting.
I've studied the update package and all it does is that it first checks if the files (and only those files) that are going to be updated are untampered with and if everything is allright, they are patched.
To sum it up - you can have extra files on your /system folder (like the su binary), but all of the updated files must be stock. The updater really doesn't care if su, xposed or other mods are present.

Is there a problem if some of the apps are disabled ? (not with titanium backup but through settings->apps->select the app ->disable)

knizmi

Jul 17, 2013
Mladá Boleslav
Is there a problem if some of the apps are disabled ? (not with titanium backup but through settings->apps->select the app ->disable)

No, disabled apps are still where they are supposed to be. The OTA updater checks if the file is there (it is), if the fingerprint matches (it does) and then it patches the app even when it's disabled.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys, as I cant stand the ads I'm thinking of rooting the device but I wonder if I can have OTA updates after this and if yes, do I have to re-root the phone after the updates?

thxxx :)
    If you have non gpe device then yes root will deny ota.
    There is no other easier way to do this?

I had in mind something like download the update to the pc and apply it to the phone with usb connection. Isnt that possible. Could this method I thought brick the phone?
    you can install CWM.
    Then make a full backup. You can move it on your pc or let it take space on your phone.
    After that you can apply any patches via CWM or install root or whatsoever
    When your phone will show the next update you should:
    1) Boot into CWM and recover your backup. BUT! You should recover only part of it. The system part.
    backup and restore -> advanced restore from /sdcard -> choose your backup -> restore system
    2) wait till it complete.
    Now you can delete your backup.
    Reboot your phone (reboot system now)
    After that you will see 2 messages and if you wanna be able to apply ota you have to make the right choises
    Q: ROM may flash stock recovery on boot. Fix?
    A: NO

Q: Root access is missing. Root device?
    A:NO

After all that steps you'll get:
    1) clear system part (which means no root, modified files etc)
    2) default recovery