[FAQ] User signature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

HTC_Loverboi

May 25, 2010
California
Is there a way I can add my own signature on here? I heard that it is in USER CP but the option isnt there ...:confused:

Moderator Edit - Here's the answer from svetius
This was an effort to combat spam, and it's had a huge impact! You'll be upgraded to a full account after a certain number of posts (5 - 8 depending on the feature)--it happens automatically. Sorry for the inconvenience :(

It may take time after reaching the 5-8 post limit for it to allow you access, this is because the process runs in the background.

And when you have enough posts, you can edit your Signature in the UserCP (on the left hand side called "Edit Signature").

Or just click here : Edit Signature

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveShaw

Senior Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2007
Huddersfield
www.taeguk.co.uk
i wonder if how does this help in stopping spam ..... anyways .... whatever you feel is good should be good someways

People / Bots were Posting generic messages, like "Thanks this is great" or in some cases, actual responses based on words in a thread. The post it's self was not spam (although pretty pointless), but the users signature would contain 3-4 links to an online company of varying levels of trustworthiness.

We used to find one or two of these bad boys a day. Because they didn't create new threads, nor did they make it obvious to the casual observer, they were getting away with it.

I have not seen one of the so called "signature spammers" since the rules were put in place.

Dave

GrimReaper24

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 10, 2011
Ya the post limit thing when you start a new account is a good idea to keep the spam to nothing.. :D

Pbwizkid

Feb 27, 2012
Weatherford
Been readying these forums for a while now and finally signed up and that was the first thing I went to go do so I could edit mine to say phone type and what rom and all that nifty stuff nice t see I'm not going crazy and it really wasn't there lol

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

GrimReaper24

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 10, 2011
Been readying these forums for a while now and finally signed up and that was the first thing I went to go do so I could edit mine to say phone type and what rom and all that nifty stuff nice t see I'm not going crazy and it really wasn't there lol

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

Ya just takes some time lol.. Alot of sites do it that way nowa days... I always forget to come over to these threads to check on things... Always busy in the EVO 3D ones...

Last edited:

CodyJv

Sep 15, 2011
Fort Hood
I like and dislike the idea.

I just logged into my account to make post (have like none) so am sorta spamming to be able to post solutions to android revolution HD. /sarcasm. My post aren't spam but i'm going to get 8 before midnight tonight!

I can see how it helps, but jeez. Couldnt post in the developer forum for the audio fix solution I made. :(

Reactions: patyan38

reinbeau

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 14, 2010
South of Boston, MA
I like and dislike the idea.

I just logged into my account to make post (have like none) so am sorta spamming to be able to post solutions to android revolution HD. /sarcasm. My post aren't spam but i'm going to get 8 before midnight tonight!

I can see how it helps, but jeez. Couldnt post in the developer forum for the audio fix solution I made. :(
But you could post it in General, and then help a few people out while you were there, in Q&A, if your device has one. Don't bother with useless posts, they will be deleted and you'll never get to 10.

Hikari

Mar 3, 2012
Sarajevo

But you could post it in General, and then help a few people out while you were there, in Q&A, if your device has one. Don't bother with useless posts, they will be deleted and you'll never get to 10.

Well, you might be right but its not that easy. You know I have experience in those stuff in the development forum, but I have no way to make posts there. :(

I dont wanna be a sort of spammer by posting stupid stuff to get all the 10 posts.
But this 10 post rule leaves no other way to accomplish...

To find a topic that I can make a useful post takes a lot of time.

Last edited:

cajunflavoredbob

May 1, 2010
Your Basement
If you can't spend the time to make ten legitimate posts before posting in the dev fora, then you don't deserve to post there. This is a developer forum, not a support website.

reinbeau

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 14, 2010
South of Boston, MA
Well, you might be right but its not that easy. You know I have experience in those stuff in the development forum, but I have no way to make posts there. :(

I dont wanna be a sort of spammer by posting stupid stuff to get all the 10 posts.
But this 10 post rule leaves no other way to accomplish...

To find a topic that I can make a useful post takes a lot of time.
Oh really? I was a clueless noob total non-developer when I came here and I had no trouble at all helping people who needed links or a little guidance where to find the information they need. XDA works because people help those who help themselves. Do not post useless posts, they will be removed and you'll never get to 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is there a way I can add my own signature on here? I heard that it is in USER CP but the option isnt there ...:confused:

Moderator Edit - Here's the answer from svetius
    This was an effort to combat spam, and it's had a huge impact! You'll be upgraded to a full account after a certain number of posts (5 - 8 depending on the feature)--it happens automatically. Sorry for the inconvenience :(

It may take time after reaching the 5-8 post limit for it to allow you access, this is because the process runs in the background.

And when you have enough posts, you can edit your Signature in the UserCP (on the left hand side called "Edit Signature").

i wonder if how does this help in stopping spam ..... anyways .... whatever you feel is good should be good someways

People / Bots were Posting generic messages, like "Thanks this is great" or in some cases, actual responses based on words in a thread. The post it's self was not spam (although pretty pointless), but the users signature would contain 3-4 links to an online company of varying levels of trustworthiness.

We used to find one or two of these bad boys a day. Because they didn't create new threads, nor did they make it obvious to the casual observer, they were getting away with it.

I have not seen one of the so called "signature spammers" since the rules were put in place.

Dave
    Thread Closed

Here's the answer from svetius

If you need further help with a user signature, please go here:

[GUIDE][Noob Friendly]How to make a good signature[Noob Friendly][GUIDE]

Thank you,

mf2112
    XDA Senior Moderator
    I had the same question...this is an excellent way to manage spam users. Good job, looking forward to delving more into this forum and getting a signature!
    I was a bit upset at not being able to have a signature. Thanks Daveshaw for explaining. Its indeed a great way to stop spammers.