Incoming Phone during data connection

Search This thread

alex fung

Jul 3, 2009
With my older phone, if I have a GPRS data connection, incoming voice calls will be rejected (busy). I was told it is the same with all phones.

Can HD2 make or accept a voice phone call when it has a GRPS connection? Or an HSPA connect? With the My Location, Weather, and Direct Push, I can neve tell when my phone has a data connection. Does it mean I may be missing calls all the time?

D

dgtel2

I have no problems with my telco. They will "downgrade" my data connection whenever a call is coming thru.

lude219

Jul 13, 2008
Huntington Beach, CA
With my older phone, if I have a GPRS data connection, incoming voice calls will be rejected (busy). I was told it is the same with all phones.

what phone would do that? You wouldn't happen to be with Verizon before, would you? My gf has a blackberry on verizon and whenever she's using the net incoming call would be rejected. I don't know any gsm phone would do that. I've had 5-6 GSM phones and they would allow incoming call and suspend your current web until the call ended.

lorin.bute

Apr 4, 2009
Well, voice calls are made on a certain frequencies and data connections are made on others.

Ex: in my country the data connection is on the 1900/2100 freq, while the voice calls are on the rest.

So it should never be a problem. I believe its also the ability of the phone to use different freq for different tasks.

D

dgtel2

Why not you try yourself. COnnect to data constantly and make a call to your number. What will happen...?

Dr.Sid

Nov 27, 2008
3G and GPRS/Edge won't block calls. But you can still use old fashion data-call. While I doubt any provider would provide data connectivity this way, I can't rule it out.