SIM restrictions on unlocked European Note3

Search This thread

maidangisme

May 7, 2012
Homeless
hopely Samsung update package released yesterday will official disable Region Locked, Nothing is clear now, We should wait for owners from EU and America to report.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

midnite_blue

Jul 13, 2013
Seattle
When 4.3 came out this summer, purported to improve security protocols, I thought it was my security that was being looked after. Do I feel like a fool.

midnite_blue

Jul 13, 2013
Seattle
normal guy vs. The Samsung

Yes, I know the way to unlock it. I even can buy the code from the website. What i try to fight now is....i try to find the truth. and i want to catch the lie. and want The Samsung know that not everybody stupid as they think. even they would not care me because I'm just normal guy. ...

...Sometime it feed sad about what we talking here it would can not change anything. All the [news] website seem do not care then move on. Even not try to prove that I'm wrong. I have no connection to any important person... and what i deeply fear is. This topic shall gone. And it would never come again till 2-3 years from now when many people realise the problem.

This saga seems to be entering a new chapter. First, official silence about blacklists. Now official silence as the blacklists are modified? Still no clarity about the company's corporate agenda.

Samsung sells smartphones, which don't work without firmware, so they sell us the firmware, too. But do they acknowledge and respect the fact that these are now our phones? You order a phone, you get excited about its arrival... then it comes with a seal on the box telling you it can't do everything you were told it could when you bought it. Or you buy the device a few months ago thinking there'll be no obstacles to keeping the firmware up to date, only to find that now you have to decide: do you want current firmware or full functionality? Or you consent to what you think is a normal OTA update without being fully informed about the significant limitations you're consenting to.

Beyond this important issue of consumer rights, I'm concerned about both the precedent Samsung is establishing and their assumption of their right to interfere with international commerce through their dominant market position (the issue you raised yesterday, dxzh, in your post about the EC).

Is it right for the private interests of a small group in one city -- in this case, Seoul -- to be able to create international obstacles to commerce across their global empire? What's to stop them from deciding that Gambia is on a blacklist but Senegal isn't, that Estonia's blacklisted but Latvia isn't, that China is but Taiwan isn't? Can they decide one day that Montenegro is out but Macedonia isn't then switch it a few weeks later, claiming a clerical error?

Does Samsung have the unilateral right to introduce any practice that would engender international trading blocs and, if so, on what basis? Is the Sinai part of Africa?... is Azerbaijan in Asia while Armenia's part of Europe?... and Kurdistan, that's the Middle East, right?...or are they all a part of the Middle East? (OK, maybe there isn't a Kurdistan, right now, but let's not deter The Samsung, if it's in their interests, from joining in on a little nation building.)

What's a country got to do if it wants to be removed from Samsung's blacklist and stay in their good graces? I'm not saying negotiations are in progress. But it's alarming how much of this is happening in secret, without any public oversight.

Samsung has not felt the need to explain themselves. No one who's really looking at this is buying their obscure reference to a 'greymarket' (created by their own pricing strategies) or problems with replacement-part availability (really, Samsung? if Hyundai can ship semi's, surely you can ship semiconductors). We know little about how or why they created their original lists... even less about why they are now making changes... and nothing about what or when further changes might arrive.

Samsung needs to be held accountable. I agree with onweel2, bubblesmoney, tmj12, wetsleet and our OP dxzh, that Samsung's business practices should be investigated for barriers to innovation, to free trade and to consumers' right to "full and transparent access to telecom services."

Last edited:

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu

dxzh

Sep 16, 2010
Labelling of mobile devices capable of connecting to a telecommunications network

Samsung needs to be held accountable. I agree with onweel2, bubblesmoney, tmj12, wetsleet and our OP, dxzh, that Samsung's business practices should be investigated for barriers to innovation, to free trade and to consumers' right to "full and transparent access to telecom services."

Credit should include htc6500uk as OP.

If nothing else, legislators (such as Ms Kroes, Vice President at European Commission) should urgently be asked to consider introducing into consumer legislation, in the interests of transparency and competition in telecommunication services, a law along the following lines:

Section [XXX]. Labelling of mobile devices capable of connecting to a telecommunications network

(1) It shall be unlawful to sell or offer for sale to any consumer any GSM-equipped or similar mobile device capable of connecting to a telecommunications network if that device contains any lock which restricts access to a Mobile Country Code (MCC) or Mobile Network Code (MNC) or similar determinant necessary for selection of or access to a particular telecommunications network, unless:

(a) that device contains a simple and transparent way for any consumer to read the lock state of each lock on that device at the point of sale and at all times thereafter without the need for access to any other external equipment, device or confidential information; and

(b) any consumer purchasing such device is clearly informed about the device and its lock state in writing with equal prominence to any other promotional and other technical information supplied with the device at the time of sale.

(2) Any retailer who fails to comply with subsection (1)(a) or (b) is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine of [][5,000] for each such offence.

(3) Any consumer purchasing a device referred to in subsection (1) shall be entitled to receive from the seller of any device which fails to comply with subsection (1)(a) or (b):

(a) a full refund for the price paid for the device; and

(b) release without cost or penalty from any contract for telecomunications services entered into with any person at the time of or in connection with the purchase of the device.

Last edited:

claudioita

Sep 6, 2003
rome
Maybe I'm not following something, but neither what they say nor write reflects reality as reported by people who have tried activating with the proper SIM, then using a foreign one ?

I activate the phone with an italian SIM last week in Italy. After reading all this problems I tried my Chilean SIM (I go there tomorrow) in Italy, and had the region lock.

I was pissed like hell. So I rooted the phone and installed your region unlock.

Now the Chilean SIM works in Italy, (I am sure will work in Chile too)

Ariel

Sep 18, 2003
Johannesburg
A South African first?

South Africa is usually towards the back of the queue when it comes to releases of new phones, but the Note 3 was released here on the 27th Sep,

The Note 3 (N900 & N9005) are both sold by Vodacom without any region lock (I bought both - the N900 by mistake and refunded)

I decided to experiment and tested my UK SIMs (Virgin & Talk Mobile) also my (probably expired) Spanish SIM (SIMyo). After entering the SIM PIN on the N9005 the phone started as normal for all the SIM's.

Not sure this advances matter much, but I thought it would add to the body of knowledge.

As I say in the title, an African first?

EDIT: SA law prohibits network locking so any phone you buy is network free

Last edited:

barokov

Mar 13, 2007
It is really unlocked after 10 days of use.

As I already mentioned here before, after about 10 days working with the proper European SIM card, my phone has unlocked itself. I do not know how many call one should make or data to use, but this is a fact!. I tested my Chinese SIM at the first day after receiving of MY GT-N9005 and it asked for unlock code. Now it working properly and NO any unlock code message. Even after the firmware update from yesterday it is still unlocked.

It is interesting for me if someone else has it's phone unlocked after a week or more usage?

wetsleet

Feb 9, 2008
As I already mentioned here before, after about 10 days working with the proper European SIM card, my phone has unlocked itself. I do not know how many call one should make or data to use, but this is a fact!. I tested my Chinese SIM at the first day after receiving of MY GT-N9005 and it asked for unlock code. Now it working properly and NO any unlock code message. Even after the firmware update from yesterday it is still unlocked.

It is interesting for me if someone else has it's phone unlocked after a week or more usage?

Region locking drives up the costs to consumer by interfering with the free market in two ways:
1) It relieves price pressure on domestic carriers' roaming tariffs by removing competition from local carriers abroad
2) it relieves price pressure on Samsung's mobile prices by removing competition from other regions (so called "grey" market)

Many users will never use a foreign sim (I never have) so might not be concerned about point 1. However we all pay the price for the device, and even if we don't personally buy a grey import, that element of price competition is still a real benefit to all customers.

If your experience is indicative of Samsung's final position then we have overcome point 1, but not point 2. Indeed this position seems particularly directed at point 2, since the time element will be especially difficult for unofficial importers to sidestep. They would have to 'quarantine' their stock for the required peiod and make the necessary number of calls etc before fulfilling orders.

Fortunately there are some jurisdictions which outlaw the region-locking practice - we can hope that enterprising importers will reconfigure their supply chain to take advantge.

Meanwhile Amazon UK's rating for the Note 3 remains stuck at 2 stars after 37 reviews! And they have further tightened their product title removing all reference to "sim free" - it is now listed simply as "Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Region Locked Smartphone - Black", with the first line of the product description, "Only compatible with SIM-cards issued from Mobile Operators within UK and Europe". Keep up the pressssure.

Last edited:
Reactions: midnite_blue

bubblesmoney

Jun 1, 2010
Region locking drives up the costs to consumer by interfering with the free market in two ways:
1) It relieves price pressure on domestic carriers' roaming tariffs by removing competition from local carriers abroad
2) it relieves price pressure on Samsung's mobile prices by removing competition from other regions (so called "grey" market)

Many users will never use a foreign sim (I never have) so might not be concerned about point 1. However we all pay the price for the device, and even if we don't personally buy a grey import, that element of price competition is still a real benefit to all customers.

If your experience is indicative of Samsung's final position then we have overcome point 1, but not point 2. Indeed this position seems particularly directed at point 2, since the time element will be especially difficult for unofficial importers to sidestep. They would have to 'quarantine' their stock for the required peiod and make the necessary number of calls etc before fulfilling orders.

Fortunately there are some jurisdictions which outlaw the region-locking practice - we can hope that enterprising importers will reconfigure their supply chain to take advantge.

Meanwhile Amazon UK's rating for the Note 3 remains stuck at 2 stars after 37 reviews! And they have further tightened their product title removing all reference to "sim free" - it is now listed simply as "Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Region Locked Smartphone - Black", with the first line of the product description, "Only compatible with SIM-cards issued from Mobile Operators within UK and Europe". Keep up the pressssure.

amazon are one of the biggest sellers of sim free phones in most countries in my opinion. I am pissed off with samsungs attitude towards free trade. One company cant have its cake and eat it too. If they want to reap the benefits of importing their products and selling it in the EU or elsewhere after manufacturing them elsewhere taking into account the benefits of lower wages elsewhere and currency fluctuations benefitting them, then the same free trade should be available to consumers in all countries. They should be free to buy their devices from anywhere they choose without artificial restrictions placed by samsung affecting free trade. After all even if i buy the device from elsewhere I will be paying full market price for the product and not some fake product and i will also be paying the shipping charges and import customs duty and VAT. So who the f*** are samsung to tell me what i cant legally buy and import into the UK. This in my opinon is gross violation of free trade laws and WTO agreements. Individual countries regulators and finance ministries should penalise samsung for forcing people visiting other countries to use roaming sims and block local sims. They are forcing tourists visiting popular tourist destinations from using local sims and use costlier roaming. Finance and trade ministries in countries affected by block lists in samsung firmware should take action against samsung for forcing tourists not to use the affected countries sim in favour of roaming international sims. Since countries like India (and 60+ other countries) is in the block list of EU phones (countries) and all these countries have signed up to free trade agreements via WTO, i feel this is a gross violation favouring network operators in some regions to the detriment of others. I hope people fromaffected regions living in other countries raise the issue with their respective governments to take action against samsung for putting their countries on block lists. Please send copy of message to the same countries opposition leaders as well so that there is more questions asked in parliaments of those countries and action is taken hopefully forcing samsung who have a leading market share to remove these region locks.

I have been posting links to posts of people stating they have been blocked on my amazon reviews

black version review, http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1JZ...E3U29EEI1A45&store=electronics#wasThisHelpful presently 51 of 75 people have found the review helpful and is affecting the reviews for the product getting 2 stars courtesy of all the negative reviews on amazon uk and now amazon have changed the listing to say region locked as a consequence.

white version review, http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3KI...OGZ9JCA99LMG&store=electronics#wasThisHelpful presently 25 of 33 people have found it helpful and courtesy of all the bad reviews even the white model is getting 2* review

But i find that amazon listings in many countries in the EU and elsewhere have 5* ratings (eg italy has 5* rating on amazon and germany has only few negative ratings)even though they are region locked too, so can people in those countries please raise some awareness and affect the listings please. Only when it affects reviews and ratings and affects sales will samsung budge. Or they will just sit tight and hope people protesting agaisnt region locking will get tired and give up.

also can people who used the russian site give feedback if their phone is still unlocked after 14 days please.

MikusR2D2

Dec 16, 2010
According to what Murtazin said in his podcast (in russian), it should take no less than one and no more than three days for phone to unlock (it needs to contact Samsung servers)

Reactions: dxzh

josch2k

Sep 30, 2013
I also have to confirm that after using my Region Locked EU-Note 3 since 2. Oct. I can use my Thai SIM without region lock.
For the first time i was trying to use the Thai SIM I got the region lock message.

dbain

Aug 11, 2012
St. John
WOW... I'm sure that they haven't realized that this will hurt their bottom line, especially if this regional SIM Lock is implemented on newer phones, like the S4 and upcoming S5.

I think I am a perfect example; I live in Barbados and I bought an unlocked S3 from a local retailer a couple of weeks ago, which appears to have been manufactured in Vietnam. I'm not sure what region it was intended for, but according to what you've said here, if I upgrade to 4.4 when it's released, I'm almost 100% sure that I will no longer be able to use it!

I suppose my only recourse would be to root it and install a different ROM... So much for the warranty!

Absolutely ridiculous!

Reactions: midnite_blue

dxzh

Sep 16, 2010
Data link to Samsung necessary to unlock phone?

According to what Murtazin said in his podcast (in russian), it should take no less than one and no more than three days for phone to unlock (it needs to contact Samsung servers)

If this connection to Samsung server is a necessary condition for release of regional lock, do you have to:

- have a mobile data connection (if so should they say this)?

- not rely on wifi for phone to gain internet access to Samsung server?

- log-on to Samsung website using mobile perhaps to ensure it connects to Samsung server?

- have to let phone surreptitiously phone back to Samsung to release the regional lock?

- if you root immediately and remove bloatware might your phone not be able to connect with Samsung server and not therefore be able to be regionally unlocked automatically even if you use correct SIM?

- how can I tell when mobile is able to accept SIMs free of any regional lock?

How would this work when upgrading my SGS 3 - perhaps advise not to upgrade while studying, working or travelling outside home region?

samisi

Sep 29, 2013

But i find that amazon listings in many countries in the EU and elsewhere have 5* ratings (eg italy has 5* rating on amazon and germany has only few negative ratings)even though they are region locked too, so can people in those countries please raise some awareness and affect the listings please. Only when it affects reviews and ratings and affects sales will samsung budge. Or they will just sit tight and hope people protesting agaisnt region locking will get tired and give up.

German amazon lists a total of 209 ratings for the Note 3.
61 are 5 stars but
125 are 1 star ratings
I cannot quote as a newbie, but I´ll try:
amazon. de /Samsung-Smartphone-Touchscreen-Megapixel-Android/dp/B00F07WTLG/ref=cm_rdp_product
(please, remove spaces before and after de)
The most famous newspaper for IT in Germany, c't from Heise online, inform their readers frequently about the Netlock.
heise. de /newsticker/meldung/Samsungs-Region-Lock-bei-Smartphones-Zwischenstand-und-Hack-1973110.html

bubblesmoney

Jun 1, 2010
German amazon lists a total of 209 ratings for the Note 3.
61 are 5 stars but
125 are 1 star ratings
I cannot quote as a newbie, but I´ll try:
amazon. de /Samsung-Smartphone-Touchscreen-Megapixel-Android/dp/B00F07WTLG/ref=cm_rdp_product
(please, remove spaces before and after de)
The most famous newspaper for IT in Germany, c't from Heise online, inform their readers frequently about the Netlock.
heise. de /newsticker/meldung/Samsungs-Region-Lock-bei-Smartphones-Zwischenstand-und-Hack-1973110.html

thanks for the update, i was looking at the german amazon a while back as was interested in the price difference. i have bought phones from amazon.de previously (the samsung galaxy note) as they were cheaper than the UK by about 80£ in the past with the same EU warranty.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    give me a N3 and we will see...

i don't get what all the fuss is about, people in israel keep getting USA phones that are locked and just unlock them to sim free
    no one ever said a thing about it, USA cellphone is locked to a single operator is OK for every one
    now samsung made it locked to all EU operators but did the mistake and called it "unlocked" and not "eu unlocked" or "eu locked" big deal

i unlocked USA phones and will unlock EU phones, the earth still goes on.... no one died

why?

The reason people are nervous is straightforward:

1) The phones claim to be "Unlocked' - they are not.

2) There is no evidence that traditional unlock methods will work -
    a) I have discussed this with my source for unlocking phones by code - he unlocks about 100,000 phones a year, and has access to all the databases. He has never heard of such a thing, and is not confident that codes will be available.
    b) Software solutions may or may not be available. Even so, not everybody is technical enough (or wants) to start butchering their phones. Further, we have customers who need these phones unlocked for network-testing purposes. They are aware of the software-unlock methods and do not want that as they claim it messes with the phone's firmware.

3) No one was informed of this before they purchased the device. Even the largest distributors (10s of thousands of phones - not retailers) only found out about it today.and have no answers

This is totally different than just purchasing an AT&T phone from the USA and getting it unlocked in Israel. Everybody knows how to do it and where to get it done. However, nobody knows how to do this phone, or if it even can be unlocked as this is a new type of lock that nobody yet understands or has successfully unlocked.

We also have these phone on our website, and we had to call each one of our customers that pre-ordered and explain the situation. Some didn't mind, and some were really pissed off and cancelled the orders.

I hope you are correct, and we can all pay our $20.00 and get the code. However, that remains to be seen.

And, on an OEM, carrier-unbranded device that can cost $900, and claims to be "factory unlocked" but is not, it is just bad business IMHO.

Dovid Feldman
    On The Go Solutions, Inc
    From my Twitter ...

Aaaaand.... I just region unlocked my Note 3. FU Samsung.

( I locked out my current carrier, tested I could no longer make phone calls, then unlocked it again, et voila )

I need a tester (with root) who has a SIM card that isn't working in his or her Note3. For verification. Then, app incoming.

'nuff said !
    There'll be an app release soon enough.

If you don't want root for other reasons, it is indeed unfortunate you currently need it for this. Rooting (via CF-Auto-Root) does void KNOX warranty (irreversable), however, if you use the unroot option in SuperSU, and flash back a stock kernel and recovery, OTAs will work again. Note that it is possible to root without tripping KNOX warranty using a customized system partition, I'm sure someone has made or will make one sooner or later.

It is theoretically feasable to do this without root, but a lot tougher to make and maintain, with the information I currently have. I'm certain there is a way to improve this, I just haven't found it yet - and as I'm a full on root user, I doubt I will spend more time looking for it.
    Latest News - Oct 9th 2013 - Clove, who specialise in sim-free/unlocked phones have suggested
    that the Russian unlocking service at:
    http://puman.ru/?selectlanguage=English
    may be a solution for those concerned about the regional lock.
    More info in the Clove blog at:
    http://blog.clove.co.uk/2013/09/25/samsung-galaxy-note-3-sim-limitations/

Whether or not the Note 3 Verizon (US) "Developer Edition" will be regionally locked remains to be seen,
    At least the bootloader will, according to reports, be unlocked.
    More skimpy details at the Samsung/Verizon page at: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SM-N900VMKEVZW

More Recent News - Oct 6th 2013 - Chainfire appears to have created an app to
    get round region locking for the Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005 (MI7 firmware) and rooted
    You can buy Chainfire a beer (£1.99) by downloading the app from the Play Store at:
    http://pkg.to/eu.chainfire.regionlockaway

There is also a thread started by Chainfire at: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=46187852 where meanies(!) can download it free.

Recent News (01:30 Oct 3rd 2013)
    Android Authority: Galaxy Note 3 region lock is an issue after all, Android 4.4 update may lock older Galaxy handsets http://goo.gl/KjgVwc

Previous news (1st Oct 2013)

A significant number of users still claim they can't use "out of region" sims despite having first used a sim for the region the Note 3 was intended for which is the way Samsung have said is the way to 'unlock' the regional sim lock.

A number of users in this thread who found their Note3 was still region locked despite following the Samsung advice have successfully unlocked their Note3 regional lock using a Russian unlocking web site at http://puman.ru/ Although I am the OP of this thread, I do not have an out of region Sim to test this out myself - so no guarantees but read the posts!

Pics say it all. The Note 3 "unlocked" models are still locked to regions like DVD's and thus not very attractive to globetrotters or international purchasers who are being asked to pay £600 or so for a crippled device.
    u5abydaz.jpg

qe3atyge.jpg
    9uja6y5e.jpg
    Health warning: the message below is worrying.

I spoke yet again to the Samsung UK customer service team (+44 330 726 7864) this afternoon (at 5:40pm GMT) as I had not received the email I had been promised this morning with a statement on the region lock. A different rep spoke to me and had the following news to report to me:

- the Samsung UK telephone staff have had problems sending out emails today and therefore have not sent out the statement to me - which was fine by me as these things happen.

- the SIM limitation sticker really is meant to mean what it says - the N9005 is not meant to be compatible with SIMs issued by operators outside the European region - I believe at least some owners are using the Note 3 with SIMs issued by operators outside the EU but the rep was adamant that the Note 3 was not intended by Samsung to be used with SIMs issued by operators outside of the European region, even following first activation.

- the European region Note 3s are only meant to be compatible with SIMs issued by operators from the European region, and this applies equally after activation - I asked repeatedly her to confirm this which she did each time. I tried practical examples too and it got worse: So if I go to Australia I must use a European region SIM in my Note 3 even if I buy the Note 3 SIM-free for £620? Yes according to the rep. So I asked if I go to Florida on vacation, I have no choice but to use a European region SIM in my Note 3? Yes again according to rep.

- it makes no difference if here in the UK I buy the Note 3 from Carphone Warehouse, Phones 4U, EE or Clove.

- I could buy another phone if I wanted to use a SIM from an operator outside the EU in my mobile - the rep volunteered this to me as it never occurred to me that they might seriously suggest such a policy.

- the rollout of Kitkat is to extend the regional lock to existing SGS3s and Note 2s - I asked if my existing unlocked SGS3 bought unlocked over a year ago is to be subject to the same regional lock if I upgrade. Yes according to rep. So I would not be able to use a SIM from outside the European region in it when travelling? Yes according to the rep.

- no statement can be sent in an email to me by the Samsung UK telephone team to confirm this in writing.

- I can email uk.help@samsung.com with any questions but it might take up to 24 hours to respond. When I pointed out to the rep that I had already done just this, emailing uk.help@samsung.com on Friday evening (27th) and not had a response in over 50 hours (including after checking my spam folder), I was told that sometimes the email team are very busy and she could not say for sure when I would receive a response to any question.

I have asked to get a call back from the Tier 2 rep who I spoke to on Friday (27th) but in the meanwhile I can only stand gobsmacked by the apparent madness of this corporate policy. For example:

- Samsung cannot even implement a draconian region lock policy (if that is what they really intend) properly and consistently - given that some European Note 3s with the European regional lock sticker are reported to be being activated and then successfully used outside the home region with SIMs issued by operators outside the home region - while others are able to activate with home region SIM but not then able to use out of region SIMs when travelling.

- Samsung (whether through its local offices, PR companies or employees) can brief against itself so that some Samsung offices will say one thing and others possibly within the same office, something completely different, on the same day, and day after day.

- the utter, utter lack of leadership from Samsung Global (Electronics) to coordinate and communicate their own policy (whether that policy is good or bad is almost irrelevant) clearly, consistently and transparently - or to communicate it at all.

- complete confusion among retailers, and among Samsung reps talking to retailers, here in the UK as to Samsung's region lock policy, to the extent they are even aware in the first place of the region lock policy and how it operates - which, from first hand exerience, I can say many are not.