[APP][3.0+] CatLog - Holo: CatLog Holoified [Holo LogCat Reader]

Search This thread

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk
If you like debugging on your device, you've likely come across CatLog. It's a great reader, with only one issue, the UI is a bit outdated.
Not anymore.
CatLog Holo
As CatLog is open source, I was able to edit it properly, no smali hacks or anything

Screenshots:
QQ8xn5rl.png
1qHFDcil.png
NLCh4aYl.png

Changes:
- Removed top search/actionbar
- Moved pause, expand, delete and search buttons to split toolbar
- Search opens in ActionView in ActionBar
- Reload moved to overflow as you can't easily get menu long press
- Themes changed to Holo equivelents
- New icon

Credits:
Nolan Lawson for the original CatLog (under WTFPL licence)
Source for this version

Download:
XDA attachment
Note that the app has the same package name but a different signature, you will need to uninstall the old CatLog and then install this one

Attachments

• Catlog.apk
    433.5 KB · Views: 11,653
Last edited:

Flow-Chi

Apr 29, 2013
Salzburg, AT
schro.fi
Awesome!
Finally there's a holo version of logcat, I've waited so long for this :D
Already wanted to do it myself, but never found the time..
I hope you're going to keep it up to date ;)

Are you planning to release it on the Play Store some day?

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk
Awesome!
Finally there's a holo version of logcat, I've waited so long for this :D
Already wanted to do it myself, but never found the time..
I hope you're going to keep it up to date ;)

Are you planning to release it on the Play Store some day?
Depends on whether the actual CatLog developer likes it. I'll try to keep it up to date, the changes aren't huge

PunchUp

Sep 18, 2013
Didn't have to uninstall. Probably coz I downloaded from F-Droid. But anyway thanks for the good work :thumbup:

underskyzx

Jan 19, 2013
Thank you so much, CatLog's original UI was unreadable!

Great work put on Play Store and I'm sure people will support you:good:

klinkdawg

Jul 13, 2010
Awesome job with this! I was actually planning on doing this myself just the other day, now I don't have to :p thanks!

Parasol_Monsters

Feb 21, 2014
How about offering a version with a slightly different name so as to be able to install both versions?

CatLog is still actively maintained so it would be nice to have yours installed and also keep up with the originals updates.

polobunny

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
How about offering a version with a slightly different name so as to be able to install both versions?

CatLog is still actively maintained so it would be nice to have yours installed and also keep up with the originals updates.

CatLog is not actively maintained. The project has been mostly abandoned and open sourced by the author in September 2012 (WTFPL!). He says he has no will to work on it anymore and he kindly open sourced so people like Quinny could take on it and have fun with it. He previously mentioned wanting to adhere more with the Holo standard (done!) as well as touch up the filtering.

You can read more here:
http://nolanlawson.com/2012/09/02/catlog-jives-with-jelly-bean-goes-open-source/

Parasol_Monsters

Feb 21, 2014
CatLog is not actively maintained. The project has been mostly abandoned and open sourced by the author in September 2012 WTFPL. He says he has no will to work on it anymore and he kindly open sourced so people like Quinny could take on it and have fun with it. He previously mentioned wanting to adhere more with the Holo standard (done!) as well as touch up the filtering.

I used "actively maintained" after going to the Play Store and seeing that it was last updated on December 13 2013, maybe something more subtle like still receives updates would have been better. I did not know that he said he didn't want to work on it anymore, the app still receives the occasional small update hence the reason for my request.

It also makes sense to slightly change the name (CatLog Holo comes to mind :D) if Quinny plans to publish the app in the future since that name is already taken in the Play Store.

Sorry if I am being tiresome, I just posted here to see what Quinny's position was on doing this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you like debugging on your device, you've likely come across CatLog. It's a great reader, with only one issue, the UI is a bit outdated.
    Not anymore.
    CatLog Holo
    As CatLog is open source, I was able to edit it properly, no smali hacks or anything

Screenshots:
    QQ8xn5rl.png
    1qHFDcil.png
    NLCh4aYl.png

Changes:
    - Removed top search/actionbar
    - Moved pause, expand, delete and search buttons to split toolbar
    - Search opens in ActionView in ActionBar
    - Reload moved to overflow as you can't easily get menu long press
    - Themes changed to Holo equivelents
    - New icon

Credits:
    Nolan Lawson for the original CatLog (under WTFPL licence)
    Source for this version

Download:
    XDA attachment
    Note that the app has the same package name but a different signature, you will need to uninstall the old CatLog and then install this one
    Just updated the git, here's the APK too
    New icon, tried to be as holo as possible:
    attachment.php

APK is attached :)
    If this is still requested, here's an idea.
    agysyna2.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    I did contact him, he was fine with it. Nice guy like you said
    If anyone wants to make an icon that's holo-esque and uses the cat from the original icon I would be happy to use it
    Where can the original cat be found ? I was looking and could not find it.

By the way if you don't plan to release on the Play Store, a 512 pixel version is not needed.

LDPI - 36 x 36
    MDPI - 48 x 48
    HDPI - 72 x 72
    XHDPI - 96 x 96
    XXHDPI - 144 x 144
    XXXHDPI - 192 x 192
    WEB - 512 x 512
    I contacted the original developer and he said he'd contact the person who first made it for the cat. Nice icon though :)