Guide to renew your camera lens
After of using my HOX for more than a year, without any protection case, camera start to have focus issues and took blur photos because of micro scratches on lens.
There is no need to replace whole case.
All what you need is:
- sheet of water sand paper at least 1500
- piece of soft cloth
- car abrasive paste
- 20 minutes (using drill) to 1 hour free time (hand job).
Additional but not necessary, but very helpful:
- drill with felt polishing wheel - will speed up full process
1. Clean camera lens with soft cloth
2. Apply 1 drop of water to lens
3. take little sheet of water paper (1x1cm was enough for me) and start to rub your lens in circular motion.
After 20 seconds it will became milky mat - don't worry it's necessary to smooth full lens surface from scratches.
4. When no holes/scratches will left on surface (after 1-2 minutes) clean slurry water from sand paper using soft cloth.
5. Put a drop of car abrasive paste and start to polish using soft cloth in circular motion.
To speed up process use drill with felt polishing wheel at low speed.
If you don't have one it can be easy to made using double side tape, ordinary polishing wheel and piece of felt.
Lens should be wet from paste and stay in neutral room temperature all the time, so apply paste often and don't let lens became hot.
WARNING: pushing too hard and using high speed will produce overheating and can deform your lens.
If lens became too warm let it cool down, and continue polishing.
6. Clean lens using dry cloth and see effect. If surface will be crystal clear, see your lens at different angles under bright light to see if any defects left. If still there's something repeat #5 and #6.
I repeated #5 and #6 something about 30 times until lens look as they should; it took no more than 15 minutes.
Right now lens look like new and HOX camera took photos without any blur images.
After that it's harder to took a photo of a perfect clear lens without scratches than polish that lens
I tried this also on watch glass and motorcycle headlight - results as above, full success.
Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any damage caused by using this tutorial.
Proper removing scratches it's not difficult, but if you have booth left hands something can go wrong.