So I've managed to remove the whole OS...

Search This thread

Jayanyway

Jan 28, 2013
Hey guys, please help me out. I tried reverting back to stock AT&T HTC One M8 but I seem to have managed to remove the entire OS. I was following a guide on here on how to revert back but whatever I did in RUU, it completely ruined the phone so far. I can't load past the HTC logo. I'm able to install a custom recovery program but I don't know how to get back to anything at this point. I'm going to try to flash a custom ROM and see if that works but ultimately I'd like to go back to completely stock ROM. Thank you for the responses in advance.

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
First, flash a ROM in recovery to get it working again. Secondly, read the guides on going back to stock more thoroughly and make sure you understand what you're actually doing before trying to go back to stock again (the same is true before you even think about unlocking the phone - why do something when you have no idea what to do if something goes wrong?!?!).

I know my response may sound harsh but if you'd read up on everything first before doing anything then this question wouldn't have to be asked over and over again by multiple people every day...

Reactions: exad

Jayanyway

Jan 28, 2013
First, flash a ROM in recovery to get it working again. Secondly, read the guides on going back to stock more thoroughly and make sure you understand what you're actually doing before trying to go back to stock again (the same is true before you even think about unlocking the phone - why do something when you have no idea what to do if something goes wrong?!?!).

I know my response may sound harsh but if you'd read up on everything first before doing anything then this question wouldn't have to be asked over and over again by multiple people every day...

Thank you for the response, appreciate it! I do read almost everything before flashing my devices, I like to see what problems people encounter before I attempt to mess with my phone. But I just found my mistake I ran into. The guide I was reading was about going from GPE to Sense Stock (I had maybe 4hrs of sleep in my defense on being brain dead). I did flash back to a custom ROM for now, I'll just do some more further research on going back to stock sense. Is it just as simple as getting the ROM and flashing like the custom ROMs?

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
Thank you for the response, appreciate it! I do read almost everything before flashing my devices, I like to see what problems people encounter before I attempt to mess with my phone. But I just found my mistake I ran into. The guide I was reading was about going from GPE to Sense Stock (I had maybe 4hrs of sleep in my defense on being brain dead). I did flash back to a custom ROM for now, I'll just do some more further research on going back to stock sense. Is it just as simple as getting the ROM and flashing like the custom ROMs?

So, were you running a GPe ROM or a Sense ROM? If you were running a Sense ROM you just need to restore a backup to get it back to stock. What software build was the phone on when you bought it new?

Jayanyway

Jan 28, 2013
So, were you running a GPe ROM or a Sense ROM? If you were running a Sense ROM you just need to restore a backup to get it back to stock. What software build was the phone on when you bought it new?

I was on a Sense ROM. Android Revolution to be exact. And if you're talking about this number: 1.54.401.5 then I was that?

So just find a backup and restore to it? And that'll allow me to grab OTA updates too?

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
I was on a Sense ROM. Android Revolution to be exact. And if you're talking about this number: 1.54.401.5 then I was that?

So just find a backup and restore to it? And that'll allow me to grab OTA updates too?

If your phone was on 1.54.401.5 when you first got it (or before you flashed a custom ROM), and if you're S-OFF, you can follow the guide in my signature to go back to 100% stock

Reactions: Jayanyway

Jayanyway

Jan 28, 2013
If your phone was on 1.54.401.5 when you first got it (or before you flashed a custom ROM), and if you're S-OFF, you can follow the guide in my signature to go back to 100% stock

Now what if I'm not 100% sure what build number I was before messing with my phone? Good chance of bricking? And one last question I promise, If I do go back to stock Sense ROM, can I still be rooted. S-Off, bootloader unlocked and still receive OTA updates? Or would I have to lock down again? I did read your guide, I was just wondering if I would still receive em before I decide to do all this work again lol

I really appreciate the quick responses. You're awesome.

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
Now what if I'm not 100% sure what build number I was before messing with my phone? Good chance of bricking? And one last question I promise, If I do go back to stock Sense ROM, can I still be rooted. S-Off, bootloader unlocked and still receive OTA updates? Or would I have to lock down again? I did read your guide, I was just wondering if I would still receive em before I decide to do all this work again lol

I really appreciate the quick responses. You're awesome.

If you're not sure on the original build then I wouldn't follow my guide. Do you know the CID of your phone? to check, run the following fastboot command:

fastboot getvar all

And post the results (blanking out the S/N and IMEI)

Jayanyway

Jan 28, 2013
If you're not sure on the original build then I wouldn't follow my guide. Do you know the CID of your phone? to check, run the following fastboot command:

fastboot getvar all

And post the results (blanking out the S/N and IMEI)

Well I recently changed my CID to that 11111111 CID but here's what I got from that command:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 76

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
Well I recently changed my CID to that 11111111 CID but here's what I got from that command:

Looks like an AT&T model to me.
Something that is not clear to me: Did you convert your phone to GPE or not? The partiton sizes are different so, if you did a GPE conversion you would need to convert your firmware partitions back.

If you didn't convert to GPE, you should just be able to restore a CWS__001 backup from the stock backups thread in the general section, flash stock recovery and download/install the OTA.

Reactions: Jayanyway

Jayanyway

Jan 28, 2013
Something that is not clear to me: Did you convert your phone to GPE or not? The partiton sizes are different so, if you did a GPE conversion you would need to convert your firmware partitions back.

If you didn't convert to GPE, you should just be able to restore a CWS__001 backup from the stock backups thread in the general section, flash stock recovery and download/install the OTA.
Yes, I have an AT&T HTC One M8. As far as I know, I never converted to GPE. Here's a history of what I've done as far as flashing goes.

Unlocked bootload, rooted, went S-Off, flashed Android Revolution, flashed Viper ROM, went back to Android Revolution then tried to go back to stock and broke my phone. Now I'm back on Android Revolution. I did a whole bunch of factory resets/dalvik wipes and such so maybe that's why it looks confusing?

Daesh_

Apr 19, 2014
Vienna
Same Problem?

Hey folks!

I have the same question I think and I don't want to open a new thread.

I flashed SinlessRom over ViperOne without converting to GPe and now I'm stuck in a bootloop...
Can I restore a CWS__001 backup from the stock backups thread, flash stock recovery and I'm good to go?

Edit: Ok, my m8 is working now after flashing ViperOne, because it fixed the partitions :)
Edit2: There is still no information about the os when I'm booting into the bootloader :confused:

Attachments

• dd.JPG
    dd.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
Missing OS in HBOOT resolution

Finally got the answer I was looking for!

Download the modified TWRP from here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=54054835

You are going to have to flash your current firmware first before installing it for the OS info to show up again in HBOOT. You can use the Flashify app to install it or else just do it the PC/ADB way using command prompt like I did. It totally worked for me, so go ahead and try it!!

If you have questions on how to flash anything, lemme know.

RockStar2005

Last edited:

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
Deleted.

Sorry didn't see your post @RockStar2005

Yoda,

Hey........ disregard my previous message. That version of TWRP DOES work (fixing "Blank OS" issue), HOWEVER........ I created a new backup using it and then tried to restore it over the weekend........... IT DIDN'T WORK! I think something is corrupted with it. So anyone who clicked on that link and got that version of twrp, delete it and ANY BACKUPS YOU CREATED WITH IT immediately. They are corrupted and useless.

Fortunately though, I was able to find a fully-operational version of TWRP over the weekend that has no issues and it too fixes the "Blank OS" problem too. Here you go:

http://themikmik.com/showthread.php?16278-SPRINT-RECOVERY-TWRP-Recovery-(UNOFFICIAL)-v2-7-0-4 (Control + F this: "Downloads TWRP Recovery 2.7.1.0 (DH) | Mirror (AFH) - build date: July 13, 2014". I downloaded from the Mirror link.)

Don't worry about it saying Sprint...... the dev CONFIRMED it works for all variants/carriers. So after creating a new backup using the standard twrp, I went back to stock recovery, re-flashed my most recent firmware (2.22.401.5), and then switched over to that new version of twrp........ created a new backup and then restored it using that new version. Worked like a charm!! And the "blank OS" issue........... gone! I highly recommend it!!

So please delete that old twrp and any backups you created using it, and you should be good to go!

P.S. My thanks to Midasgalp and also Captain Throwback!!

RockStar2005

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.