[Q] Cannot open CWR

Search This thread

vypurr

Sep 12, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
I used Rom Manager to apply an update to my DasBamf 2.0-beta5, and the phone reset but did not into Clockwork. Instead it got stuck in a boot loop.

I thought nothing of it, held down the volume button and went into the bootloader. Turns out I left a radio update on the root of my SD Card, so no biggie, I plugged the SD Card into my pc, removed the radio update file. I put the card back into my phone and now I cannot get into Clockwork!

Every time I get to bootloader, click recovery, then it goes into clockwork for a second, says:

E: Can't Mount /cache/recovery/command
E: Can't Mount /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't Open /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't Mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E: Can't Open /cache/recovery/last_log

What should I do? I do not have any idea what the issue is here!

vypurr

Sep 12, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
I wish it were that simple. Clockwork is unusable. After the error message appears, the phone reboots into a boot loop with the White HTC Logo.

barcodelinux

May 29, 2008
Can you boot into your ROM?
If so, the just reflash CWR via Rom Manager.
If not, grab a root stock RUU and flash that via HBOOT. Then download Rom Manager from the market, then reflash CWR.
Only bad thing about the second option is that you will loose /data.

I *think* there is a way to flash CWR via adb, but I'd have to look it up.

vypurr

Sep 12, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
I feel really stupid because I thought I had a grasp on this whole thing...I got rooted without any trouble!!!

BUt I am not sure what is up at this point. I took the advice of those above, and loaded the stock rooted RUU through HBOOT (http://forum.androidcentral.com/thu...8597-ruu-return-rooted-stock-leaked-ruus.html).

- Put zip on SD-root folder
- Rename to PG05IMG.zip
- Boot into HBOOT
- Press Vol Up To start update
- Reboot phone
- Boot loop (never goes past the white HTC screen before resetting)

But afterwards I still am stuck in a boot loop! When I boot to recovery I get into CWR, and can move through the menus, but the phone reboots after a second or two (not enough to restore a backup).

Am I doing something wrong?

barcodelinux

May 29, 2008
Sounds to me like the RUU didn't take when flashed via HBOOT. Is S-ON?
Try reflashing that RUU again.
If that doesn't work, try downloading and flashing another RUU. If all else fails, get the unrooted stock RUU. You might have to reroot but you will have a function device.

Last edited:

superchilpil

Sep 26, 2009
Texas
OnePlus 8 Pro
Nubia Red Magic 6
I have an idea what it is, my phone did this before after I walked in and out of a walk in freezer... Blah blah
Go into hboot and find the selection that says system info.or something along those lines and if it says touch panel - fail or something along those lines then it will.never boot up

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA Premium App

vypurr

Sep 12, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Any tips to charge the battery again though? I am fearful that I may have depleted it too far at this point, and plugging it in sends it into a boot loop!

vypurr

Sep 12, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
I have loaded multiple RUUs in an attempt to fix this...no luck

I followed the Jcase to return to stock for rooted users - I am now stuck with S-ON, but it does not boot still. Just the same old White HTC Screen.

barcodelinux

May 29, 2008
It could be that it wasn't a CWR problem to begin with since you have loaded the stock RUU, replacing CWR with the stock recovery, and it still won't boot.

Try taking the battery out and pressing the power button for about 10 seconds. Then put the battery back in. Do not press the power button. Now plug in the wall (AC) charger. Let the battery fully charge, no bump charging required. then unplug the charger. Now press Vol - and the Power button. The phone should boot into the bootloader (If it doesn't, then its bricked). Select RECOVERY. Now let the stock recovery program run and reboot.

I hope that fixes it, but if it doesn't...

Well, it comes down to a question that you need to ask your self...

Do you continue down the path of trying to fix this device?

Or

Do you take it in to a vzw store (or call warranty dept.) since its still under warranty and get a replacement?

If you want to press on with trying to fix it (keep in mind that all your data is already gone) in the hope that this process will help someone later who might run into the same problem and is out of warranty, I can try to help. But outside of flashing the unroot stock RUU, there isn't a bunch more that I can think of.

Let us know what you want to do.

vypurr

Sep 12, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
It could be that it wasn't a CWR problem to begin with since you have loaded the stock RUU, replacing CWR with the stock recovery, and it still won't boot.

I agree. I kind of think that Rom Manager corrupted the file that it tried to install.

Try taking the battery out and pressing the power button for about 10 seconds. Then put the battery back in. Do not press the power button. Now plug in the wall (AC) charger. Let the battery fully charge, no bump charging required. then unplug the charger. Now press Vol - and the Power button. The phone should boot into the bootloader (If it doesn't, then its bricked). Select RECOVERY. Now let the stock recovery program run and reboot.

I will try this tonight. I think that my battery is dead at this point. I can get it to reset to HBOOT (S-ON). I can click recovery. The stock recovery opens, and then within 5 seconds the phone resets. From this point (until I pull the battery), it will boot loop to factory recovery. Is this due to a dead battery? Every time I plug in my phone to my wall AC Adapter, the phone actually turns on and boot loops. Because of this I have not been able recharge it.

I hope that fixes it, but if it doesn't...

Well, it comes down to a question that you need to ask your self...

Do you continue down the path of trying to fix this device?

Or

Do you take it in to a vzw store (or call warranty dept.) since its still under warranty and get a replacement?

If you want to press on with trying to fix it (keep in mind that all your data is already gone) in the hope that this process will help someone later who might run into the same problem and is out of warranty, I can try to help. But outside of flashing the unroot stock RUU, there isn't a bunch more that I can think of.

Let us know what you want to do.

I have a replacement in the mail at this point, but I am willing to experiment in the meantime so that anyone in the future can avoid my problems!

barcodelinux

May 29, 2008
I agree. I kind of think that Rom Manager corrupted the file that it tried to install.
You are not the first one to say that. While using a GUI front end to CWR is handy, it doesn't have a great track record.
I have gotten away from using Rom Manager for anything except flashing CWR.
But then again, I make it a habit to wipe /system, /data, and /cache before flashing a new ROM. You can't do that from Rom Manager.

Anyways, back to the topic...

The battery being in a low charge state wouldn't make the phone reboot (I wouldn't think). In the past when my battery has died, the phone never rebooted...it just turned off. However, I have never had the phone boot when I plugged up my wall charger either. (My old OG Droid used to do that and it pissed me off)
Has anyone else had this happen? If not, that might suggest a hardware malfunction of some sort too.

Was this phone dropped or does it have any kind of water damage?

At this point, I think it is a hardware failure of some sort. And chasing a hardware failure with a software fix is kind of a fruitless endeavor.

vypurr

Sep 12, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
I know the phone has been babied its entire life (except for many many roms).

I remember that the phone used to turn on when CWR was first put onto the TB, but it should not do that stock, and it was cleared up with recent CWR updates.

I am just going to cut my losses and get the replacement that Verizon has offered me. Maybe I can have a couple more break and just get the Galaxy S2 when it lands!